American Express Employee Reviews

Fantastic workplace with excellent people to surround yourself with
Quality Assurance Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
Great learning experience! Every employee is trained on Line University, and must pass with min of 80% in some instances 100% a lot of time and energy is put into training and quality control,
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Long Shifts
Good work environment
Application Architect (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2016
1> Managing different people with different cultures.
2> International work experience.
3> Managing challenges in the projects.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
great company to work for
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 May 2016
excellent place to work, great work life balance. flexibility to work from home or office, amazing team members and great leadership
Great work place surrounded by a park, eating out and taking walks was nice.
Collection Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 February 2016
Met some great people while working there. The manager was great and understanding. The hardest part dealing with angry clients and finding ways to be assertive and provide great customer service. The workplace found ways to make the environment friendly, by playing games and once a month they would buy food for the whole floor as a thank you, for their great work efforts.
Pros
Friendly work environment.
Cons
Salary.
Fun workplace with great learning opportunity
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 July 2016
Every day was a new challenge which has motivated me to complete the task on time. It was wonderful to be a part of the process where i got the opportunity to coordinate with the different people from different part of the world.
Focus on leadership and employee development
Vice President, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Focus on leadership and employee development10 November 2015
Great firm to work for - good work-life balance. Ability to transition from one discipline to another. Employee development is a priority - good and fair review process and upward feedback
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic - not invested deeply enough in innovation
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2012
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
very low rate
Flexible working hours and great place to working for womens
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Delhi7 April 2016
Effective Leadership , challenges are taken as opportunities
Integrity is a foundation for leadership
Communicates on continuous and connect the dots
Work Life Balance for working parents
Nice Place To WorkIn
QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 December 2015
Nice place to work in, good culture and environment, flexibility and policies. Agile framework. Employee benefits. Various groups.
American Express
Service Professional American Express Concierge (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 July 2012
I very much enjoyed the hard work that I put in with this, and in hopes for a career. Turn-Over was high, the training was great I have to admit, long and intence, but I am the type of person who wants to learn and exceed at everything I do. I was able to obtain many certifications and always strived to do better. Hardest part of the job, allot of people did not take it serious, when there was no management around it was like being back in high school. And allot of people did not want to be there.
Pros
30 days, full benefits
Cons
allot of tests to pass
American Express Summer Intern Program
Summer Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2016
Extremely educational
Well paced
Well structured
Lots of diverse opportunities
Learn about the business environment
Learn about the differnt fields necessary
Lots of seminars available
Overall amazing working environment
good place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  markham3 May 2015
Talk to about 100 cardmembers a day and resolving the issues brought up or providing information required. Good rapport with co workers and supervisors and a happy place to work in.Always keep in mind the requirements of the company, this will help to keep on top of things. Hardest part is dealing with customers whose issue cannot be resolved due to the companys policies or procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job is once you leave for the day you do not have to carry home any work with you
Pros
close to home, fairly good salary and benefits, schedule fits with work life balance
Cons
sometimes difficult to get a good schedule
company is very fair to its employees and remuneration is good. Very good company for employee's growthI had very good relationship with management an
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Ottawa and Calgary10 February 2016
company is very fair to its employees and remuneration is good. Very good company for employee's growth had very good relationship with management and my peers.
Great workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 January 2014
- A typical day at work?
(answer) Fun, loads of work, always changes within the company and a very great place to be everyday.

-What you learned?
(answer) Time management, being diplomatic, view all angles of a situation, think outside the box, how to deal with angry clients and always listen.

- Management?
(answer) Great people to have as leaders within the company, very motivational an always helps with the next step in your lateral move.

- Your co-workers?
(answer) It is like every company you work for, you have some co-workers that are easy going and some are not.

- The hardest part of the job?
(answer) The hardest part of the job is not getting frustrated with a belligerent customer.

- The most enjoyable part of the job?
(answer) The most enjoyable part, is helping people in a financial crisis.
Pros
Great overall benefits, gym facility, great salary, fun environment and great management.
Cons
Great Company to work for and made some good friends
Bank Branch Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Excellent Location1 November 2015
Overall American Express is a great Company to work for. Good benefits and fairly decent Salary. Job Security is not very stable.
Good entry level job
Small Business Solutions (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2015
Great benefits, and good co workers; great place to start in the corporate world
cons: no work life balance, job can become redundant
The company is walking backward
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2016
Company is more on budget / $ side and did not care much about the employees value. They rather contracting out to offshore without considering the quality of services. American Express of Canada will never be the same as in the old office of Markham.
Strict work enviroment
Corporate/Leisure Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 September 2012
A call center enviroment in the corporate travel industy, clents expect curtious, efficient and prompt service with a smile.

American Express prides themselves on providing that service with Travel Agents who are knowledgable,friendly and driven. Working for this company had taught me a lot about the travel industry. I worked with some great people who's company I really enjoyed. Management were promoted call center agents, so they had a strong understanding of the dynamics of a call center and the clientel we serviced.

Benefits were ok and the wage was below average for the amount of work we did. Hard work was not always identifed and you were always being monitored via call moitory to make certain you were following the protocal.
Pros
fun enviroment with good people
Cons
bad pay and overworked
Was hired for Customer Service now it is a sales job (THING5 SAINT JOHN)
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 April 2013
I was hired and advised that there would be flexability with Thing5 in the schedules and was also told that we were not sales agents and we are there to provide extraoridnary customer service to American Express Platinum Card Members. All of the above is not true. We are rushed to finish each call, which is not giving the agents enough time to create an itinerary (some international). We as agents are held fully accountable for what Cardmembers think of AMEX. And when I say held fully responsible, you can be fired for a bad "survey" and it will predict your shift when the bids are out, shift bids last 3 months. I have never worked in a call centre in all of my working career and I think I never want to work in another one after this.
Pros
learn about the world
Cons
poor upper management, horrible hours, misleading information when hired
sales consultant
Senior Travel Councellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 May 2016
taking calls from corporate clients and arranging travel related services for them.
it was always a challanging job as most corporate travel needs were last minute and had to look at various contracts and details

4.2