American Express Employee Reviews

American Express Work Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2016
Amex is a highly brand conscious company and they expect people to walk and talk a certain way. If you are a little different you won't be promoted. Race matters a lot. Very political, hierarchical and immediate leaders can destroy your career. Everyone is aware of your employee band level. You are openly addressed based on your band level which is ridiculous.

Work life balance is generally respected but that is changing with head count reduction. Amex goes through constant periods of lay offs and restructuring so be prepared to lose your job.

Laziness and incompetence is rewarded especially if you are in marketing. The company has tons of consumer data but doesn't know how to use it, hence, as a single line company it is struggling.

Wouldn't recommend working here especially given they are poor payers. Although, they tremendously improve your soft skills.
Pros
Style and Pomp
Cons
Politics
Productive and great perks working for this company.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 November 2016
This company is great to work for. Our team leaders are fantastic. Not only they care about us as a person, but also care about how successful we are. They put in extra work to make sure we grow not only as workers but as individuals. This makes us acquire more useful skills to be better at what we do. We have all the help we want and need. Not only does our team leaders help us with that but the whole team is so welcoming and so supportive with whatever you need help with. This company has great benefits for their workers and has a well organized management team. At American Express you learn to be organized, to have attention to detail, and you get all sorts of customer which makes you learn how to handle all sorts of issues or contentment they may have. You really learn how to be motivated to do well for your own success since it affects the whole teams success.
Very regimented culture is very negative
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
.Very regimented culture is very negative, work life balance is lacking, Very long hours and having to deal with other regions of the world
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
Long Hours
Senior Business Analyst / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 January 2017
Nice place to work. The atmosphere is very bright and the culture is distinct. Work life balance is a struggle.
Stable and motivated place to work
Great company
German language Expert (Former Employee) –  Delhi, ON18 September 2016
Good benefits. All my colleagues were lovel, flexible working environment, ability to balance between job and life, good benefits, mostly nice people, good possibilty for career development
revieww
Credit analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
its a great company to work for it is has great people and structure. i have learned that its all about great management and workers that work hard. that is what american express is about.
Productive, challenging and friendly work atmosphere
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 April 2016
Safe and productive work place environment. Flexible work hours with excellent benefits and commission. Respectful and considerate management and coworkers. Most enjoyable part of the workday day was achieving targets and highest sales in a competitive friendly atmosphere.
Pros
Frequent lunch and learn ecxperiences
Productve and Fun envrionment
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 January 2017
American Express Bank of Canada is an amazing place to work. They have a very flexible work life balance. Everyone at American Express Bank of Canada are fun to work with and are very helpful to get the job done.
Pros
Flexible on working from home
Productive and fun environment with a terrific fitness center. Great benefits and supportive management. I enjoyed my position very much
Customer Service/Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2016
Pros
great working environment
Cons
split shifts
A very challenging and fun workplace. Also has a ping pong table.
Senior iOS Engineer (Current Employee) –  200 Vesey St, New york23 September 2016
Great management, cool lead, flexible working hours and a ping pong table. Awesome people to work with, very dedicated and relaxed. Got to learn a lot here.
Pros
Ping pong table, flexible working hours
Cons
Team still new to agile and hence having a lot of disagreements.
Enjoyable place to work with an excellent manager who truly cared about the staff
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON1 December 2015
I consider this my best job position in all my career....American Express was a fantastic company to work for...the training was superior, the coworkers were very close knit and the management team were all excellent leaders. There was opportunities to develop and advance and it was a sad day when American Express decided to close down their vacation offices across Canada.
Pros
Great training and compensation package
Cons
Mall hours
An excellent global brand to be a part of
Corporate Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 November 2015
Working in two different departments in two different cities, I can comfortable say, I've had the best of both worlds in terms of team and management. Working for corporate travel in Montreal and then premium travel in Brighton, both departments however different, were synonymous in work-life balance and fun culture to work under.
Pros
Travel benefits
Cons
rotational shifts
NO- Work/Life-Balance-NO Pay-NO benefits
Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ON16 May 2016
The worst workplace you 'd ever imagine......

**Working bad hours-accordingly there is no work/life balance
**Working weekends & Stat-Holidays
**Manipulate with the criteria every quarter to put obstacles in order to pay you the Quarterly -bonus
**Ridiculous medical coverage(to squeeze expenses)
**Always under stress because of the meaningless Warning letters
Challenging and very Rewarding work place
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
American Express was a wonderful company which provided me with a vast amount of opportunity and challenges. I learned a lot about SDLC and was very successfully in all phase within American Express.
Productive and fun workplace
Master Business Analyst, Corporate Services (CSO) (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON11 July 2016
Team Handling | Quality Monitoring | Financial Analysis | Process Transitioning| Credit Analysis| Project Management | Relationship Management
what i am looking for
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
I am looking for an opportunity to work for a smaller organization with a higher position or to move to Dubai or Singapore and work for a multi-national company
Pros
work from home, lots of travel
Cons
entry level
Excellent corporate culture
Director/Global Learning Relationship Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Excellent corporate culture. Great people, strong leadership and great with work-life balance.

The organization has strong leadership and the teamwork and collaboration is well established within the culture.
Great work life balance
Credit Analyst/Authorization (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 March 2016
Great benefits working for this company, management team very open and transparent. Lots of team functions, great benefits and pay.
Csr
Outbound Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 November 2016
• Worked in a team environment, as well as independently
• Exceeded individual sales targets every week for an entire quarter
• Provided effective first contact customer service and provide effective product knowledge
Stressful workplace
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ON13 May 2016
This workplace is very stressful; no normal human-being can hold that place without nervous break-down after 6 months.

You are asked to take one call after the other; they don't care
about you as a human-being.
And if one of PLATINUM card members wrote a bad survey about you, then they won't pay you the quarterly bonus(even if it is not your FAULT)-it is a way to squeeze expenses.
Also, with their ridiculous medical coverage, they won't approve you the drugs prescribed by the doctor; they would ask you to go back to the doctor and ask him for an alternative(a cheaper one)-again to squeeze expenses.

Accordingly, all the promises(bonuses &medical coverage) given to you upon hiring, they were withdrawn bit by bit.

Comment – May 16, 2016

I fully AGREE.

There is NO APPRECIATION at all.

Salary is too low in comparison with the work load.

4.2