American Express Employee Reviews in Canada

Stressful workplace
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ONMay 13, 2016
This workplace is very stressful; no normal human-being can hold that place without nervous break-down after 6 months.

You are asked to take one call after the other; they don't care
about you as a human-being.
And if one of PLATINUM card members wrote a bad survey about you, then they won't pay you the quarterly bonus(even if it is not your FAULT)-it is a way to squeeze expenses.
Also, with their ridiculous medical coverage, they won't approve you the drugs prescribed by the doctor; they would ask you to go back to the doctor and ask him for an alternative(a cheaper one)-again to squeeze expenses.

Accordingly, all the promises(bonuses &medical coverage) given to you upon hiring, they were withdrawn bit by bit.

Comment – May 16, 2016

I fully AGREE. There is NO APPRECIATION at all. Salary is too low in comparison with the work load.

NO- Work/Life-Balance-NO Pay-NO benefits
Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ONMay 16, 2016
The worst workplace you 'd ever imagine......

**Working bad hours-accordingly there is no work/life balance
**Working weekends & Stat-Holidays
**Manipulate with the criteria every quarter to put obstacles in order to pay you the Quarterly -bonus
**Ridiculous medical coverage(to squeeze expenses)
**Always under stress because of the meaningless Warning letters
Productive, challenging and friendly work atmosphere
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 29, 2016
Safe and productive work place environment. Flexible work hours with excellent benefits and commission. Respectful and considerate management and coworkers. Most enjoyable part of the workday day was achieving targets and highest sales in a competitive friendly atmosphere.
Pros
Frequent lunch and learn ecxperiences
Great work place surrounded by a park, eating out and taking walks was nice.
Collection Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 4, 2016
Met some great people while working there. The manager was great and understanding. The hardest part dealing with angry clients and finding ways to be assertive and provide great customer service. The workplace found ways to make the environment friendly, by playing games and once a month they would buy food for the whole floor as a thank you, for their great work efforts.
Pros
Friendly work environment.
Cons
Salary.
Productive and fun environment with a terrific fitness center. Great benefits and supportive management. I enjoyed my position very much
Customer Service/Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros
great working environment
Cons
split shifts
Collecting on Past due account
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 9, 2016
• Made profitable spending decisions based on risk assessment and card member profile
• Negotiated effectively with customers, discussed alternate payment arrangements and repayment plans for customers in financial difficulties
• Recommended cancellations, or suspended spending privileges where required, and communicated these actions to customers
American Express Summer Intern Program
Summer Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
Extremely educational
Well paced
Well structured
Lots of diverse opportunities
Learn about the business environment
Learn about the differnt fields necessary
Lots of seminars available
Overall amazing working environment
The company is walking backward
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 19, 2016
Company is more on budget / $ side and did not care much about the employees value. They rather contracting out to offshore without considering the quality of services. American Express of Canada will never be the same as in the old office of Markham.
company is very fair to its employees and remuneration is good. Very good company for employee's growthI had very good relationship with management an
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Ottawa and CalgaryFebruary 10, 2016
company is very fair to its employees and remuneration is good. Very good company for employee's growth had very good relationship with management and my peers.
Enjoyable place to work with an excellent manager who truly cared about the staff
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ONDecember 1, 2015
I consider this my best job position in all my career....American Express was a fantastic company to work for...the training was superior, the coworkers were very close knit and the management team were all excellent leaders. There was opportunities to develop and advance and it was a sad day when American Express decided to close down their vacation offices across Canada.
Pros
Great training and compensation package
Cons
Mall hours
Flexible working hours and great place to working for womens
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  DelhiApril 7, 2016
Effective Leadership , challenges are taken as opportunities
Integrity is a foundation for leadership
Communicates on continuous and connect the dots
Work Life Balance for working parents
sales consultant
Senior Travel Councellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 23, 2016
taking calls from corporate clients and arranging travel related services for them.
it was always a challanging job as most corporate travel needs were last minute and had to look at various contracts and details
An excellent global brand to be a part of
Corporate Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 13, 2015
Working in two different departments in two different cities, I can comfortable say, I've had the best of both worlds in terms of team and management. Working for corporate travel in Montreal and then premium travel in Brighton, both departments however different, were synonymous in work-life balance and fun culture to work under.
Pros
Travel benefits
Cons
rotational shifts
Old location was huge and free parking was a bonus
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Overall a pleasant place to work. People are generally friendly and the job is challenging enough. Plenty of opportunity to learn from different departments and gain leadership.
Great Place to work
Relationship Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work over the past 15 years. My manager is also my mentor . He has provided guidance and constructive feedback which has allowed me to grow within the company. I have built long lasting relationships with co-workers both here in Canada and also while travelling internationally on a work assignment. I have to admit the most enjoyable part of the job are the people and I always strive to learn something new and welcome change . I view that as another challenge and a great accomplishment once my goal is achieved. Overall this company has allowed me to learn so much about myself and all that I can offer.
Upgrading servers and client machines
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2016
We were upgrading client machines and some servers, Deployed windows on the clients, we deployed windows 8. Some servers we had to upgrade from Server 2003 to 2008.
Good pay
CALL CENTRE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2016
okay to work for, wage is higher than most call centres. Training is a bit short for the amount of work needed. Must take good notes in training. Also training class too big to really absorb information.
Focus on leadership and employee development
Vice President, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Focus on leadership and employee developmentNovember 10, 2015
Great firm to work for - good work-life balance. Ability to transition from one discipline to another. Employee development is a priority - good and fair review process and upward feedback
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic - not invested deeply enough in innovation
great company to work for
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 4, 2016
excellent place to work, great work life balance. flexibility to work from home or office, amazing team members and great leadership
Good work environment
Application Architect (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 15, 2016
1> Managing different people with different cultures.
2> International work experience.
3> Managing challenges in the projects.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA

4.2