American Express Employee Reviews

Excellent corporate culture
Director/Global Learning Relationship Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Excellent corporate culture. Great people, strong leadership and great with work-life balance.

The organization has strong leadership and the teamwork and collaboration is well established within the culture.
Challenging and very Rewarding work place
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
American Express was a wonderful company which provided me with a vast amount of opportunity and challenges. I learned a lot about SDLC and was very successfully in all phase within American Express.
Very regimented culture is very negative
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
.Very regimented culture is very negative, work life balance is lacking, Very long hours and having to deal with other regions of the world
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
Long Hours
Senior Business Analyst / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 January 2017
Nice place to work. The atmosphere is very bright and the culture is distinct. Work life balance is a struggle.
Stable and motivated place to work
Productve and Fun envrionment
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 January 2017
American Express Bank of Canada is an amazing place to work. They have a very flexible work life balance. Everyone at American Express Bank of Canada are fun to work with and are very helpful to get the job done.
Pros
Flexible on working from home
Established, Well known
Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
American Exoress is a global services company that provides customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Teamwork and Productive environment
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
Working with AMEX is amazing. There are several factors I like to share with you like teamwork, diversity and a productive environment
Csr
Outbound Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 November 2016
• Worked in a team environment, as well as independently
• Exceeded individual sales targets every week for an entire quarter
• Provided effective first contact customer service and provide effective product knowledge
Productive and great perks working for this company.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 November 2016
This company is great to work for. Our team leaders are fantastic. Not only they care about us as a person, but also care about how successful we are. They put in extra work to make sure we grow not only as workers but as individuals. This makes us acquire more useful skills to be better at what we do. We have all the help we want and need. Not only does our team leaders help us with that but the whole team is so welcoming and so supportive with whatever you need help with. This company has great benefits for their workers and has a well organized management team. At American Express you learn to be organized, to have attention to detail, and you get all sorts of customer which makes you learn how to handle all sorts of issues or contentment they may have. You really learn how to be motivated to do well for your own success since it affects the whole teams success.
what i am looking for
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2016
I am looking for an opportunity to work for a smaller organization with a higher position or to move to Dubai or Singapore and work for a multi-national company
Pros
work from home, lots of travel
Cons
entry level
A very challenging and fun workplace. Also has a ping pong table.
Senior iOS Engineer (Current Employee) –  200 Vesey St, New york23 September 2016
Great management, cool lead, flexible working hours and a ping pong table. Awesome people to work with, very dedicated and relaxed. Got to learn a lot here.
Pros
Ping pong table, flexible working hours
Cons
Team still new to agile and hence having a lot of disagreements.
Great company
German language Expert (Former Employee) –  Delhi, ON18 September 2016
Good benefits. All my colleagues were lovel, flexible working environment, ability to balance between job and life, good benefits, mostly nice people, good possibilty for career development
revieww
Credit analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
its a great company to work for it is has great people and structure. i have learned that its all about great management and workers that work hard. that is what american express is about.
Typical day at work
Salesforce developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
I had a very challenging work environment where every day was full of surprises with new work. I was lucky to have a team which supported me. I would like to recommend my friends for American Express where they can learn a lot.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Few of the clients were very demanding
Fantastic workplace with excellent people to surround yourself with
Quality Assurance Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
Great learning experience! Every employee is trained on Line University, and must pass with min of 80% in some instances 100% a lot of time and energy is put into training and quality control,
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Long Shifts
American Express Work Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2016
Amex is a highly brand conscious company and they expect people to walk and talk a certain way. If you are a little different you won't be promoted. Race matters a lot. Very political, hierarchical and immediate leaders can destroy your career. Everyone is aware of your employee band level. You are openly addressed based on your band level which is ridiculous.

Work life balance is generally respected but that is changing with head count reduction. Amex goes through constant periods of lay offs and restructuring so be prepared to lose your job.

Laziness and incompetence is rewarded especially if you are in marketing. The company has tons of consumer data but doesn't know how to use it, hence, as a single line company it is struggling.

Wouldn't recommend working here especially given they are poor payers. Although, they tremendously improve your soft skills.
Pros
Style and Pomp
Cons
Politics
Fun workplace with great learning opportunity
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 July 2016
Every day was a new challenge which has motivated me to complete the task on time. It was wonderful to be a part of the process where i got the opportunity to coordinate with the different people from different part of the world.
Productive and fun workplace
Master Business Analyst, Corporate Services (CSO) (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON11 July 2016
Team Handling | Quality Monitoring | Financial Analysis | Process Transitioning| Credit Analysis| Project Management | Relationship Management
sales consultant
Senior Travel Councellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 May 2016
taking calls from corporate clients and arranging travel related services for them.
it was always a challanging job as most corporate travel needs were last minute and had to look at various contracts and details
The company is walking backward
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2016
Company is more on budget / $ side and did not care much about the employees value. They rather contracting out to offshore without considering the quality of services. American Express of Canada will never be the same as in the old office of Markham.

4.2