American Express

American Express Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
My Life at Amex
Team Leader (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 9, 2012
Pros: great working atmosphere, location
Cons: not enough focus on my own development
Going to work was a joy for me. Being in a leadership role truly gave me a sense of "belong" where I had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals by showing them their potential and helping them believe in themselves; elevating their confidence. Seeing the glass have full instead of half empty all the time. Putting our heads together..myself and my coworkers were a team. We tried to do things collaboratively and shared best practices for the betterment of the business. Understanding the company's vision from management and being able to carry this out to my team and break it down so they can understand the big picture is something that management always looks for. How effectively can you influence your people to get the best out of them. The hardest part of my job was keeping the momentum going without losing myself in the process. You'll never have the team 100%...but I belive in the 80/20 rule. Focus on those who are willing to work hard for you and who are driving results...and keep them motivated. Those who aren't...identify issues and put an action plan in place...if necessary performance manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the growth and development of people whether it be mini break throughs or huge milestones...it's a gift that I give which is the giving of myself to others to see them succeed.
Fun and challenging place to work with great co-workers.
Relationship Care Professional (Current Employee), Markham, ONSeptember 25, 2013
I would start my day at 4:30pm and immediately begin taking calls. I would adhere to my scheduled breaks and end the day at 1:00am. The calls I would service are incoming calls from American Express card holders that reside in the United States of America. I have an extensive knowledge of credit card laws, both in the U.S.A. and in Canada, and I use this knowledge to ensure I provide accurate information to the card members that call for assistance. I have learnt a lot from this position and have been able to use it within the company and provide fellow Customer Care Professionals with accurate information with my time spent assisting our Supervisor Team. During this time, I would log in and be there primarily to assist other Professionals if they needed the assistance, and I would also take escalated calls. I appreciated that this job has challenges, some times different challenges every day. Every situation is different and they can not all be handled the same way, which is why I had to use my previous and newly learnt knowledge, and utilize the resources available to me, to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of information.
My team was fun to work with and we show appreciation by having pot luck lunches and games.
Bank Specialist (Former Employee), Markan, OnApril 4, 2013
Pros: lottery tickets and pizza lunches for excellent work done by the team or individually
Cons: not able to log off the phone when time to go for lunch, or at the end of the shift if the caller takes longer that usual.
Interacting with the public was satisfying when they are happy at the end of a call.
I learned to probe effectively to identify appropriate solution and to
Understand and acknowledge customers needs
Make the customers feel respected and valued.

Management was up to date with the needs of the staff and customers

My co-workers were more like family than employees. The hardest part of the job was when I was not able to help a customer on that one call eg. customer is on vacation and card is lost/stolen and the most enjoyable part of the job was know that my co workers and customers are happy and satisfied.
Great workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great overall benefits, gym facility, great salary, fun environment and great management.
- A typical day at work?
(answer) Fun, loads of work, always changes within the company and a very great place to be everyday.

-What you learned?
(answer) Time management, being diplomatic, view all angles of a situation, think outside the box, how to deal with angry clients and always listen.

- Management?
(answer) Great people to have as leaders within the company, very motivational an always helps with the next step in your lateral move.

- Your co-workers?
(answer) It is like every company you work for, you have some co-workers that are easy going and some are not.

- The hardest part of the job?
(answer) The hardest part of the job is not getting frustrated with a belligerent customer.

- The most enjoyable part of the job?
(answer) The most enjoyable part, is helping people in a financial crisis.
American Express is a productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham OntarioApril 15, 2013
 Responded to 125+ incoming calls in a timely and professional manner; maximizing service and sales leads; researched and addressed credit card member inquiries and concerns adhering to call quality and monitoring procedures/guidelines
 Effectively handled account maintenance including credit related inquiries, authorizations, enrolment and cancellation of services
 Processed new accounts and applications, providing account, setting up billing disputes and referral to other departments as necessary
 Followed up on complaints, investigated issues with various departments
 Provided ongoing support and assistance to new staff as a buddy to ensure successful transition into new role
 Utilized needs assessment and effective persuasion skills to achieve departmental sales targets and goals
Goals driven environment with 100% diversity in staffing. Customer experience and sales expectations imperative
Call Centre Team Leader (Former Employee), Markham, OntSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: job satisfaction, bonus system and working with great individuals
Cons: can't say that i would have any cons as 'long hours' eventually lead to job satisfaction, my number one motivator!
I was able to use my extensive knowledge to build teams, coached, trained and developed staff members, solve customer service and staff issues in a positive successful manner. I developed new processes to use as a guide for the Future Leader process and I maintained a positive outlook to all concerns, monthly changes in direction and an overall 'will to win' mentality.

Working with others and 'leading by example' has always been a personal asset that I have and it my greatest motivation to achieve and exceed goals and see individuals reach their potential.
Strict work enviroment
Corporate/Leisure Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: fun enviroment with good people
Cons: bad pay and overworked
A call center enviroment in the corporate travel industy, clents expect curtious, efficient and prompt service with a smile.

American Express prides themselves on providing that service with Travel Agents who are knowledgable,friendly and driven. Working for this company had taught me a lot about the travel industry. I worked with some great people who's company I really enjoyed. Management were promoted call center agents, so they had a strong understanding of the dynamics of a call center and the clientel we serviced.

Benefits were ok and the wage was below average for the amount of work we did. Hard work was not always identifed and you were always being monitored via call moitory to make certain you were following the protocal.
Japanese Travel Councelor
JP (Former Employee), (Not Employee)Toronto ONAugust 9, 2013
I have not worked this company but I would like to write my review for Amex canada.
I applyed this company for a Japanese travel councelor job.
They want to have the people who is really flexible for shifts
included weekend. Also they follow the Japanese Calender it means even you have to work Canadian national holiday.(mightbe christmas too...) You don't have to talk in English but you have to speak polite Japanese.(because their custmers are high status people). The job description is the same as Japanese Amex.

I just feel kind a weird thing that I got rejection emails twice.
I got the first rejection email the next day of interview and the second one was in week later.
I have never got the a rejection letter twice!
Anyway They hire people all year around. if you are interested Japanese society, you can try it.
Cover Letter
QA Analyst (Mobile Testing) (Former Employee), Markham,ONOctober 3, 2013
Over Five years of Software Quality Assurance experience has provided me with a strong understanding of testing various applications on different environments. I have exceptional ability to maintain QA Standards and QA Process at all phases of Project Life Cycle. I have also implemented test and automation strategies, automation architecture and framework using functional decomposition techniques using Mercury Interactive tools like WinRunner, Quick Test Professional, TestDirector and LoadRunner. I am skilled in performing Backend Testing, Data Mapping and Data Integration testing using Data Driven Methods and SQL Query’s. I have an ability to interact with underwriters to understand the Insurance Products and Process.
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: very low rate
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Sales job with lots of independence and responsibility
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa AirportJuly 20, 2015
A typical day at work is using sales tactics to stop people in the Ottawa airport and convince them to use American Express cards. I learned how to talk and deal with many different kinds of people. Management was constantly monitoring our sales and checking to see everything was running smoothly each week. The co-workers were nice people and were team players, which is great for everyone. The hardest part of the job was stopping people in the airport since a low amount of people dislike being confronted by strangers. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people and the amount of freedom with the job. I love meeting and talking to new people, which allowed the job to be fun.
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioJune 10, 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
productive and fun with free gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: subsidized food
Cons: sharing headsets
A typical day at work was advising current and new customers on products, promotions and billing inquiries.
I learned how to keep my talk time to less the 5 minutes without allowing my customers to feel rushed.
Very big company, but management keeps you feeling important as and individual.
My co-works were helpful and some of the best I met coming into the customer service world so young.
The hardest part of the job was around the time of Hurricane Katrina The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to be the friendly voice for those who needed to hear it at the time of Hurricane Katrina.
good place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), markhamMay 3, 2015
Pros: close to home, fairly good salary and benefits, schedule fits with work life balance
Cons: sometimes difficult to get a good schedule
Talk to about 100 cardmembers a day and resolving the issues brought up or providing information required. Good rapport with co workers and supervisors and a happy place to work in.Always keep in mind the requirements of the company, this will help to keep on top of things. Hardest part is dealing with customers whose issue cannot be resolved due to the companys policies or procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job is once you leave for the day you do not have to carry home any work with you
Great Place to work
Relationship Care Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work over the past 15 years. My manager is also my mentor . He has provided guidance and constructive feedback which has allowed me to grow within the company. I have built long lasting relationships with co-workers both here in Canada and also while travelling internationally on a work assignment. I have to admit the most enjoyable part of the job are the people and I always strive to learn something new and welcome change . I view that as another challenge and a great accomplishment once my goal is achieved. Overall this company has allowed me to learn so much about myself and all that I can offer.
Enjoyed work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 23, 2013
Pros: environment
Cons: nothing
Everyday I Built a connection with customers and proposed different products and services based on their account history to help minimize their monthly bill and protect their financial credit
Clarified financial charges, account details and benefits to customers
Presented excellent communication & interpersonal skills for exceptional customer care
Helped company attain the highest customer service ratings
Officially commended for initiative, enthusiasm, persuasiveness, intense customer focus and dependability in performance evaluations.
Busy work place and team work
Customer Service & Communication (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: learning opportunity, team work
Cons: no time limit
The overall day is always under stick schedules. Communication with the customers/business partners, communication with the solution team, attending the schedules meeting, coordination with the co-workers, addressing the development and reporting and maintaining priorities.
The hardest part of the job is rescheduling of meeting as the days are defined with each days work and accommodating a new schedule is a challenge.
The most enjoyable part is the team work and achievement of success.
very friendly and busy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioApril 5, 2015
Pros: hour lunches and long breaks
Cons: working till midnight
typical day was always receiving or making calls.
I've learned to cancel and receive payments over the phone regarding customer accounts.
management was okay. Sometimes they were there to help and other times they were busy on the phone as well.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed.
the hardest part of the job was calling customers 8am. Sometimes calling for small change like $1.00.
the most enjoyable part of the job was receiving payments and communicating with the customers.
Am Ex: Best company to grow with
Analyst - Network Product Development & Management (Former Employee), PhoenixMay 15, 2014
Pros: culture, growth opportunity
I can't say enough about the amazing opportunities I've found within American Express. If I didn't have personal circumstances that mean relocation, I would happily spend the next 40 years with the company before drifting into retirement. The entire culture of the company is centered around doing things with the greatest degree of integrity and focusing on the PEOPLE whether those people are members, merchants, or employees. A company anyone would be incredibly lucky to be employed.
American Express
Service Professional American Express Concierge (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 31, 2012
Pros: 30 days, full benefits
Cons: allot of tests to pass
I very much enjoyed the hard work that I put in with this, and in hopes for a career. Turn-Over was high, the training was great I have to admit, long and intence, but I am the type of person who wants to learn and exceed at everything I do. I was able to obtain many certifications and always strived to do better. Hardest part of the job, allot of people did not take it serious, when there was no management around it was like being back in high school. And allot of people did not want to be there.
Headquarters