American Eagle Outfitters Employee Reviews

Fun workplace and amazing co-workers
Part-time Sales Associate/Jean Expert (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 March 2016
Sell company's clothes
Customer behaviour
Management was poor because I do not get any hours
Co-workers were fun and easy to get along with
Trying to sell Reward Points Card
Enjoyable part of the job is to interact with customers and work with my co-workers
Pros
Good discount
Cons
No hours
Where do i begin...
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  BC16 March 2016
Oh live your life american eagle, what started off as fun, turned into a never ending nightmare, district manager has no idea what was going on or how to answer questions at times. Late arrivals constant so your always setting up floor sets late. Long long long hours for low pay and no overtime, you constantly beat last years numbers but the targets are so high you never bonus, they can be 20-40% up on the previous year.

3 assistant managers lead you to not learn as much as a co manager would, spend too much time under one category and store managers who really don't care and disappear early you end up working more hours then them. Shipments are so high and the product you actually need never comes. Back rooms are too small, real safety issue. No actual training is ever given and worst of all conversion has the same expectation 20% across the district even though ever store, every location is completely different it baffles me.

The one thing i loved was my staff, they really did love you and appreciated everything you said or did. Discounts are great they do look after you like that. Benefits are good and vacation is paid 2 weeks after one year. Pay is ok, but negotiate as much as possible there is room. For assistant you can get at least $38,000 if they really really want you.

Not every store is like this, but this pretty much is the picture across the district in bc.
Pros
discount, vacation pay, benefits, competitions
Cons
long hours, low salary, constant visits, no DM support
Fun easy place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 March 2016
Work was easy with friendly management and employees. The only issue is that they were not willing to give a lot of hours to new recruits.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2016
it is a very welcoming work environment, got to work with amazing co-workers as well as meet great people through customer service aspect of the job.
fun minimum wage job, ideal for students.
Sales Associate/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 March 2016
Typical retail job but I find that American Eagle treats their employees very well. The company has little rules regarding clothing (you don't have to wear their clothes, you just do because the discount is amazing), all they ask if that you dress in season and appropriately like most jobs. Great, fun environment. Opportunity to make good connections with your co-workers. I definitely enjoy going to work each day and I will miss the company when I have to leave after graduation.
Pros
amazing discounts, laid back environment, flexible hours.
Cons
short hours, little opportunity for more hours unless in a manager position or open availability.
Fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 February 2016
American Eagle is a great place to work and all the employees are awesome! I loved my coworkers and management! It was very busy, but shifts went by quick!!
Pros
Discount
Quick paced, but judgemental
SALES AND CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Dufferin Mall, Toronto, ON6 February 2016
You would sign in, and not really be told what you were going to be doing that day. There wasn't much training and they didn't inform you of promotions going on. Also it was a very judgemental environment, like if you didn't wear the right clothes you could tell that you were being judged by your manager and coworkers.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Bad environment
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2016
Fun people to work with, management is great and the most enjoyable part of my day is organizing and cleaning. I've learned about the buisness and daily patience.
Pros
The people I work with are amazing
Cons
Salary
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC31 January 2016
Easy place to work at. Very relaxed. Customers are easy to work with. Focus is on the sales quota. Had to focus on customers sense of fashion and use that to make sales. Management is very relaxed. Very fun to work.
Pros
Relaxed Workplace
Cons
Not Enough Hours
American Eagle sales associate jobs carry multiple responsibilities. Primary job duties for American Eagle sales associates include providing customer
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 January 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me helping customers with their needs in the fashion sector. I learned several things such as how to give excellent customer service. The management was great and I got along with my co-workers.
Pros
80% discounts
Ae
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 January 2016
Excellent place to work; do not want to leave; management is excellent and coworkers are amazing
Love interacting with the customers and getting a feel of who they are through their fashion
sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2016
My typical day at work is greeting customers, letting everyone know our promotions for the day, cashing customers items and helping customers choosing outfits.
Pros
great work ethic
Cons
short hours
Fast-paced environment
Team Leader and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2016
Get ready to work! The staff is friendly, but the company has standards to be respected at all times (visual, merchandising, employee behaviour, etc). Not doing so could result in a significant reduction in work hours, as AEO prioritizes efficient workers over everything else
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
unstable hours
Good part time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 January 2016
Sales goals are really high but are reachable if you are good at communication and sales. Management is extremely helpful and friendly. The team and environment is very relaxed.
Great people but terrible hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 January 2016
I started of in the company as a Co-op student and loved it. Then i got hired on around Christmas. I would often be doing my 4 hours of co-op have a very little break (maybe half an hour) and then have to be back to work my paid shift. They have too many staff kept on as part time so a lot of people get forgotten about and end up with no hours.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
little-no hours after seasonal peeks
Worked as a stock associate
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 January 2016
I worked in the back room of the store where I learned how to do inventory as well as organizational skills. The management was friendly and i had good co workers.
Pros
Never boring
Retail
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 November 2015
American Eagle is a great retail experience for anyone starting out in the work force. The employees are great to work as well as the management team.
High energy environment
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON29 November 2015
I have only worked here for a short amount of time, but in this time I have already learnt a lot.
I have learnt a ton about the product, I learnt the different procedures then what I am used to.
I really enjoy working at American Eagle because my co-workers all have the same attitude I have, we all like to have fun and enjoy working. Dealing with customers comes naturally to me. I enjoy talking to new people and helping customers out.
Managers are treated poorly and hear nothing but negative
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Albert20 November 2015
All our management team ever heard was how poorly we were doing without any leadership or direction to improve.

I closed every Saturday. I worked the split every Tuesday. I worked every holiday, and was never scheduled a lieu day. Contract is for 44 hours but I was frequently told to "suck it up" when scheduled for 50 or more.
Good place with good people
STOCK LEAD (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 November 2015
I'm in charge of the shipments. We get deliveries every day, of new clothes, and replenishments of older stock. I organise, fold and sort away these products. I'm also responsible for the visual layout of the store, and the cleanliness and general upkeep of the back store. I'm on a headset with my managers at all time, to discuss the running of the store, and fulfilling customer requests for products not available on the shop floor.
Cons
Unstable job hours.