American Eagle Outfitters Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
working at american eagle was fun because they have good management, co-workers are friendly and managers are amazing. i learned a lot from this store such as managing your time is important. The hardest part of the job was when there's a lot of things to do such as when the season is changing, we need to change the physical appearance of the store. However the most enjoyable part of the job is whenever the store is in sale.
Pros
free brakes
Where do i begin...
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  BC16 March 2016
Oh live your life american eagle, what started off as fun, turned into a never ending nightmare, district manager has no idea what was going on or how to answer questions at times. Late arrivals constant so your always setting up floor sets late. Long long long hours for low pay and no overtime, you constantly beat last years numbers but the targets are so high you never bonus, they can be 20-40% up on the previous year.

3 assistant managers lead you to not learn as much as a co manager would, spend too much time under one category and store managers who really don't care and disappear early you end up working more hours then them. Shipments are so high and the product you actually need never comes. Back rooms are too small, real safety issue. No actual training is ever given and worst of all conversion has the same expectation 20% across the district even though ever store, every location is completely different it baffles me.

The one thing i loved was my staff, they really did love you and appreciated everything you said or did. Discounts are great they do look after you like that. Benefits are good and vacation is paid 2 weeks after one year. Pay is ok, but negotiate as much as possible there is room. For assistant you can get at least $38,000 if they really really want you.

Not every store is like this, but this pretty much is the picture across the district in bc.
Pros
discount, vacation pay, benefits, competitions
Cons
long hours, low salary, constant visits, no DM support
Fun workplace , provided goo costumer servive skills
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 September 2016
relationship building with the costumer and putting them first and making sure they leave with a good experience. Tasking at down time, putting out new product.
learned how to multitask and prioritize and improved my conversation skills
hardest part of the jobs was not receiving enough hours and being understaffed , most enjoyable part of the job was gaining more skills
management is young but still did a good job
coworkers are amazing and made work more enjoyable
Pros
costumer service skills
Cons
not enough hours
Friendly environment and coworkers, good benefits
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Working at American Eagle was a beneficial experience as a first job. I met a lot of wonderful people and truly enjoyed a day of work and had a lot of fun on the job. There was a great discount for employees at 60% off. The managers were all very friendly and always doing their best to help me learn as much as possible. The hardest part of the job was definitely the commute but it was manageable. The managers were very lenient with my hours and always payed attention to my availability which was a plus.
Pros
Generous employee discount, great group of coworkers
Cons
Longer commute
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2016
Fun people to work with, management is great and the most enjoyable part of my day is organizing and cleaning. I've learned about the buisness and daily patience.
Pros
The people I work with are amazing
Cons
Salary
Productive and great for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2016
great for students, it is mostly folding cloths and helping customers and doing stock the people are nice and are hard workers. the hardest part of the job was running back and forth to find cloths that are in the back for the customers. Getting to know people would have been the best part.
Pros
lunch breaks, good people to work with
Cons
Productive and costumer driven sales environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2016
A typical day at work for a seasonal sales associate at American Eagle, consisted of clocking in, and finding out what area in the store I was to cover.
I learned how to be patient and how to appropriately handle costumers to provide the most satisfying shopping experience during the holidays.
The management were exceptional. Great people, welcoming, and available to provide assistance when needed.
Co-workers were great as well.
The hardest part of the job was trying to manage the demands of the various costumers that came in the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide costumers with a satisfying experience.
Ignorant Management
Sales Associate / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 April 2016
Honestly, I loved my job up until they got new assistant managers who were nothing but rude and ignorant towards the employees.

Everything was done by favoritism, and that was done by who would do the most for each manager within the store. if you didn't do what they wanted (non-work related) you were treated awful.

Besides the Management team (excluding 2 people) my co-workers were AMAZING. i loved working with everyone and teaching them all new things and making sure they were having an amazing day!

The hardest part of the job would probly be keeping up with every customer and their needs.

The most enjoyable park of the job would be getting to see the look on someone' s face when you help them find something that makes them not only look but feel amazing in!
Pros
Great Associates, Great customers
Cons
rude and ignorant management
Fun, welcoming work environment
Sales Associate / Replenish (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 May 2016
A typical day at work included simply refolding and refolding clothes, I did not learn much other than organization skills because the management thought I paid attention to details well which benefited the looks of the store. Management was very nice and willing to help for the most part which was nice. The coworkers were harder to get along with and there was not as much teamwork involved within shifts which was a new experience for me after working at McDonald's. The hardest part of the job was trying to accomplish the goals because the up selling process was more different than McDonald's but it was still a relatively easy work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers figure out a nice outfit for certain occasions and seeing them glow up when they find something they feel good in.
Pros
Great discounts, great experience, fun management
Cons
Replen can be difficult when unorganized, customers are sometimes extremely difficult, hard to advance in the job
productive, punctual, patient, leader, organized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2016
friendly co-workers and a management team.
Disciplined yet fun environment.
working with difficult customers is the challenging part of this job or every customer service job.
the most enjoyable part of this job is working with people, promoting the store and working with other workers who are enthusiastic on the sale floor.
Sales associate
Sales Associate/Stock (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
I have been working here for several years and highly recommend this company for a part-time job as a student. Company culture is fun and vibrant, and really makes it a pleasure to go into work every day.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 November 2016
this is a great place to work I just wish there was more hours going around because the team there is amazing. the job is talking to people all day and meeting new people which I love to do, talking about the deals and different clothes telling people what is most comfortable to dress in and also what looks good on them.
Pros
great deals for employees.
Cons
not enough hours
Good First Job
Cash Lead among Stylist and Jean Expert Training (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2016
Great company with good hands on training. Learned a lot about the retail/customer service world. Very little pay for high expectations. Friendly staff and work environment.The way they schedule staff can be a bit biased, but other than that, good hours if you put in the effort. As retail is a very high paced job at times, the training learned had many tips on how to control a stressful situation.
Pros
Friendly staff, enjoyable work environment, interactive training, free items
Cons
Little pay, stressful (at times)
Friendly, Productive, Fun and Unique Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
At American Eagle I would fold clothing, greet customers, stock shelves, and help with closing the store. I enjoyed all the people I worked with and spoke to, well an employee at American Eagle. This is a fantastic place to work the people are wonderful and extremely friendly.
Fun and easy workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON4 September 2016
Co-workers are fun and the job itself is basic. The hardest part of the job would be on a busy day and having to talk to everyone in the store and making sure everyone has their needs met in a timely and polite manner. Managers are tight about rules, managing the staff and keeping everyone productive.
Pros
Work Discounts, Paid breaks
Cons
not enough hours
Fun, relaxed job and environment - totally on brand
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 November 2016
Enjoyed keeping things in order behind the scenes so that I and my coworkers could keep the atmosphere of the store able to run smoothly and happily on even the busiest days of the holiday shopping season.
Pros
Great people, low-stress
Cons
Minimal hours
Great workplace environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 April 2016
Watch a video on the latest news and promotions for the store then fill out a goal sheet for the day. It gave me more confidence since you had to approach people and try to get them to buy clothes. Hardest part of the job was to try and influence customers when their minds were made up.
Pros
Snacks in the backroom
Cons
Cut shifts at the last minute, not being scheduled for weeks
great place
Back Shop Employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 October 2016
awsome place loved the staff the managers were aswome we all joked around and it was fun got a mall discount and that was great and also got deals on clothing too
Pros
discounts awsome staff
Cons
repetative work
Great Place to work at for PART TIME
Fashion Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
If your a student looking for a job with flexible hours and great staff then this Is a place for you. Friendly staff, great discounts and rewards and a fun place you would enjoy working at
Amazing!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 September 2016
The managers and staff were beautiful people! Everyone was so accepting and it was a fun place to be. It was constantly a busy place and as a person that likes to be kept busy, it was awesome.
Pros
the discount
Cons
not enough hours

American Eagle Outfitters Reviews by Location