American Eagle Outfiters Employee Reviews

Good team environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 30, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of cleaning up, helping and selling to customers, working on cash and many other various things. I learned many different ways to interact with different customers and how to deal with complaints and I learned how to create a positive team working environment. The management team was consistently good, but in my years there the store went through 4 managers and was very unstable. My co-workers were always good to work with. The most enjoyable part of my job was being on cash and constantly interacting with others. There was not that much that was hard about the job other than on busy days when there were a lot of customers being able to stay on top of everything.
Cons
not many hours
customer service
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 18, 2015
was a good wrok environment i would work for them again if it was more like managament but interacting with customers and helping customers each day was awesome and made me love working with the public
Pros
head sets
Cons
not enough hours
Sales Associate
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Catharines, ONMay 13, 2012
This job did not last long because of the large amount of staff and seasonal position. It was my first retail experience, and provided me with further customer service experience. It was a teamwork environment. My responsibilities included greeting every customer, insuring everyone was looked after. I was required to drive sales, and verbally advertise promotions. Restocking hangers and shelves was another responsibility, as well as helping customers find the right styles they were looking for. At the end of the night, clothing must be refolded and displays must be perfect.
Pros
discount on clothing
Cons
short hours/no hours
slow and boring but good people to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2014
I would stand around for 5 hours folding clothes most of the time on weekdays the mall wasn't busy at all barely any costumers came in. On weekends got really busy that when the days seemed to go by quicker.
Learned to be nice to everyone even if they aren't to you being able to clean up well.
Co-workers were nice and friendly and we all got along quite nice
Hardest part was unpacking new clothes and redesigning the store every few months
Most enjoyable part was seeing my friends and talking to people
Management wasn't very organized
Pros
got 50% off everything in the store except sale items
Cons
the days were slow if it wasnt busy
great place to work
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2015
Very fast paced environment. Dealing with different types of customers. Need to know different areas of the store and need to handle any types of questions related to the store.
Pros
people
Cons
nothing
Exciting and Productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONDecember 23, 2014
A day at American Eagle is always adventurous and fun; I come in like every other day going by the company routines and protocols. The management is the best so far and the co-workers are supportive and cheerful people at all times. The hardest part of the job is having to stand all through the shift and the best part of the job is relating with co-workers and most importantly giving customers that good quality customer service and seeing the smile of satisfaction on their faces.
Great associates
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioSeptember 3, 2012
Opening:

-Give staff direction on what needs to be done.
-Open tills.
-Check time sheets and forecast payroll for the week.
-Forecast the days sales/hour.
-Deposit money from previous night.
-Watch weekly video/quiz staff
-Tell staff goals for the day and positions when doors open
-When doors are open, usually watch front for LP reasons.
-Send staff on proper breaks/meals
-Sell through-out the day until shift is done

Closing

-Watch weekly video
-Talk to morning manger to see what needs to be done(example markdowns, window, floor moves, etc.)
-Check payroll, sales from previous day, staff card.
-Sell until the doors close/Set staff on proper meals & breaks
-When doors close talk to staff about sales/what needs to be done
-Close tills
-Count depot
-Check payroll/ time sheets
-Clean tables
-Leave when everything is done or passed scheduled shift.

Each day was always different. Some days weren't as busy as others. Over all these were some tasks at hand that management had to do.
Pros
great associates to work with.
Cons
horrible higher mangment levels. no accountablity for an issues.
Amercian Eagle
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halton Hills, ONJuly 7, 2015
When you first get a job with Amercian Eagle you start off with good amount of hours and then once you have been there for a long time then you don't get enough hours and then people just start quitting.
Productive and encouraging wokplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, OnApril 30, 2015
I truly value the ways in which the store-level as well as upper management wish to see their staff grow. I very quickly learned how to appropriately interact with customers to make their experience both enjoyable and successful.
It is a fun workplace where you can enjoy talking to customers and selling your company's product to them.
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 25, 2012
Weekends are always busy since it is a retail store in a popular shopping mall.
The experience working in the store helped me enhance my customer service skills like communicating to other people and make them purchase our products.
Management was inconsistent because the company kept changing our managers.
Pros
it is not a commission based style of selling, co-workers are friendly, customer-friendly environment
Cons
part time hours, inconsistent management team
Productive and Fun
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 13, 2013
Typical day at work: Always had something to do, which made time go by a lot faster. Mostly fold clothing, help people in/on fitting rooms/cashier.
What I learned: How too fold everything, cashier, helping people in Fitting rooms, Changing Mannequins, changing posters, changing prices.
Management: Never had a problem with them.
Co-Workers: most were nice but a few were never really nice too me.
Hardest Part of the job: Floor set.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Meeting new people!
Pros
discounts on everything!
Cons
not the greatest environment to work in.
Fantastic Workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Orleans, OntarioMay 28, 2014
A typical day at work for me is just talking to customers; making sure they are satisfied, assist them in any way, and completing their transactions at the cash. Management consists of fantastic people (they could give more hours to existing employees rather than hiring new ones). My co-workers are fantastic! We are like a family. The hardest part of my job is doing floorset (bringing the old clothes in and the new ones out). Other than that I enjoy every aspect of my job.
Pros
discount, great people, fun job
Cons
few hours
Great
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mirabel, QCDecember 25, 2014
You start with a ''pre-party'', where they warm you up for the day, then you help customers and clean up the store. I learned all kind of jeans. Management is great and will always help you if there is issues. The hardest part is the clean up the store after the day, what we call the Close. The most enjoyable part is to interact with people.
Pros
you have time outside of work
Cons
you don't have enough work hours per month
Okay
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halton Hills, ONMay 27, 2015
-Management was poorly ran
-Employers were rude to customers and fellow staff members
-System was organized in a un- efficient manner
Good Clothing, And Team Players.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayshore, ONAugust 11, 2012
I liked American Eagle, because the employes that worked there were very friendly when you are new and they help you out the best they can. The managers are very nice and like to communicate with there employees the best they can.
Pros
team environment
Cons
standing for long hours.
American Eagle Review
Stock Lead (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON.February 25, 2015
A typical day at work would be when I come in I look over the days shipping report so I can plan according. I would then assign tasks to any co-op student we have at the time (typically 3), then I'd walk the floor to take note of what product can be filled, in case I receive it. I then receive and process shipment, fill out the appropriate paper work. I've learned how to be efficient, and able to alter my work plan quickly depending on what the day brings.
Productive and a new learning process
Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  Bramalea City CentreJanuary 13, 2014
Working at american eagle was over all a good experience. It gave me the chance to gain experience in retail. I enjoyed working with other staff close to my age and sharing good times with each of them. Management was always understanding to times where people would call in with emergencies and sickness. It gave me a chance to show off my good customer service and my strong drive to do the best i can.
Pros
experience with retail
Cons
cancellation of shifts
Fun workplace with lots of fun incentives
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova ScotiaApril 4, 2013
Typical day at work: recieve truck, sort and prepare stock for the floor or back room. Assist with customers on the sales floor when finished with stock in the back room
Management was great, always willing to help and incouraged you to learn everything you could in the company.
Monthly staff meetings that got everybody in the store involved (ex: pot lucks, games, learning centers)
Pros
amazing people to work with
Cons
hours were not always stable
Fun sociable place to work
Sales/stock (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 6, 2013
I'd clock in, grab a radio and head out to the sales floor. I'd go to my designated zone and work that area and help anyone in the store that may need assistance while informing people of our current sales. While working at American Eagle I learnt better communication skills and the skills needed to make sales. Managers and co-workers we easy to get along with and fun. Very helpful when I was first starting out. The hardest part about my job was remembering all the different type of jeans there were. The most enjoyable part was being paid to hangout in a store in the mall with lots of people coming in and out, a store I usually would spend a lot of time in for free.
Good for retail experience, but you are easily replaced
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  WindsorMay 4, 2015
Mangers expected you to pressure people to buy, and if you couldn't convince them to buy, you are quickly replaced. Not too much to do when it isn't busy. Co-workers, depending on who was working that day, could either be friendly or just kinda prude.

American Eagle Outfiters Reviews by Location