American Eagle Outfiters Employee Reviews in Canada

High energy environment
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONNovember 29, 2015
I have only worked here for a short amount of time, but in this time I have already learnt a lot.
I have learnt a ton about the product, I learnt the different procedures then what I am used to.
I really enjoy working at American Eagle because my co-workers all have the same attitude I have, we all like to have fun and enjoy working. Dealing with customers comes naturally to me. I enjoy talking to new people and helping customers out.
Good place with good people
STOCK LEAD (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2015
I'm in charge of the shipments. We get deliveries every day, of new clothes, and replenishments of older stock. I organise, fold and sort away these products. I'm also responsible for the visual layout of the store, and the cleanliness and general upkeep of the back store. I'm on a headset with my managers at all time, to discuss the running of the store, and fulfilling customer requests for products not available on the shop floor.
Cons
Unstable job hours.
Fast paced yet still very fun work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Each day is something new with American Eagle Outfitters.

Retail is an ever changing industry and AEO has a much more desirable position in the global market than in previous years. Having recently opened locations over seas this year in the UK, American Eagle is a globally known brand that really understands the fundamentals of putting your customer first.

The most enjoyable part of work was the amazing team I had. It makes coming into work easier knowing you are part of such a close knit team of individuals with the same passion for customer service.

As part of the management team, we were very involved with our associates, providing constant coaching and training to ensure a sales driven team. I had the opportunity to work with various store managers and various district managers and I feel the one thing AEO lacks is company consistency. Involvement from both your SM and DM varied greatly. While each had the opportunity to contribute, some chose to procrastinate ultimately leading to a snowball affect, leading to a loss of sales and a negative impact on daily operations.

The most difficult aspect of working at AEO was the payroll ladder. Payrolls and sales are very dependent on each other. When payroll isn't invested wisely or situations don't entirely play out as you were hoping, your store could suffer greatly. As a result, if management didn't put in extra hours (of unpaid work since they are salaried), many tasks could not be completed with the various payroll cuts made over the past couple years.

The company provided many opportunities for advancement,
  more... various gifts for associates, rewards for hitting KPI's and this year, flew all store managers to Florida for a company wide meeting.  less
Pros
great reward systems, great team, opportunity for advancement
Cons
long hours, unpaid overtime, lack of available payroll
Retail
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 30, 2015
American Eagle is a great retail experience for anyone starting out in the work force. The employees are great to work as well as the management team.
Massive Amount of turnover, Various poor descision making and poor Quality of life
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 3, 2013
American Eagle runs on a store by store basis, which consists of A team of manger's who oversee a staff of about 100.

The company itself has gone over various changes and staffing overhauls, Some for the better others for the worse.

My coworkers could be more developed and though have a passion to learn are under qualified or have received insufficient training.

The hardest part of my job is the constant switching and changing schedule, Sometimes Nights, Day's, or Overnights. As well the Few to none possibilities of advancement through the company

I do enjoy managing and developing staff and have trained various manager's and associates throughout my many year's with the company.

The District Manager`s have had a poor presence, Provide very little training or development opportunities for Manager's. As well have had Constant rearranging and Continuous Changes in District`s Or manager`s in general.

Through american Eagle I`ve learned various Skills, Organization, Staff development, Scheduling, Time management, Problem solving, Customer first relations, Accountability and Forcasting.
Pros
great staff, manager;s with a passion to learn
Cons
very little development or advancement opportunities, unpredictable schedule, poor management at higher levels, salary cap`s, massive turnover
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 14, 2015
I really enjoy working at American Eagle. I love the products we sell. It is very fast paced and busy which I like. The staff is great. The home / work life balance is not very good but it seems to be getting better.
Pros
Very busy and fast paced
Cons
work alot of evenings and weekends
American Eagle Outfitters Merchandise Leader
Sales Associate/Merchandise Leader (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, Nova ScotiaMay 26, 2015
At American Eagle, you feel like a family. Everyone treats you like you've known them for your entire life. The staff are people you can trust with your life. Our management team could not be any better. They are so understanding for all of us and any of our problems. They are like your second set of parents.
The hardest part of the job is always trying to help every customer in your day. There are times that you are not able to help that last person and it could make or break your day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to see the customers smile on their face when you are able to help them find everything on their wish list.
great environment where I have learnt so much and enjoyed offering above-average customer service everyday.
Server (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 7, 2015
A typical day at work involved assisting managers to serve customers at the sales counter, offering face-to-face advice to customers on the store products, maintaining phone lines and direct callers to appropriate department, managing cash and payment systems in accordance with company procedures and policies, and Volunteer for additional shifts and tasks. It has been an amazing experience working with the best team.
Supportive environment.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 1, 2015
Always motivated to be the best I can be.
Meet different people, either by customers or co-workers.
Everyday is always a different day, despite the system.
Interacting with people of different backgrounds and personalities.
Pros
Understanding management
Cons
Short hours
Overall Great Place to Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONApril 17, 2015
American Eagle is a very good company to work for. There are a few flaws with their company, which is the same as most, however, the pros very much outweigh the cons. The longer you are with them, the more perks you receive as you are promoted to become a "Jean Expert" or "Stylist", and with this promotion you get special discounts from the store. My managers were very friendly and considerate or all employees. The cons are only that the schedule is released really late and only as a week by week schedule (eg. If today is Thursday, I would just be getting the schedule for this Sunday coming up). The only other con is that they have recently become very strict regarding what they need to accomplish with sales and such. But overall, I really enjoy working there.
Enjoy customer interactions on daily basis
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaJuly 28, 2015
A typical day at work is reviewing sales and any goals needed to complete the day. Greeting customers and helping them outfit themselves or whomever they are purchasing items for.
Informing all staff on the promotions, where they are scheduled to work and offering them daily advice on how they can improve overall production.
Excellent place to build up retail experience
Sales Associate, - West Edmonton Mall (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 29, 2015
On weekends the store tends to get really busy so sometimes I feel like it was a drag. But with the awesome and energetic co-workers I had, work flew by quick. I learnt that customers are of high importance in retail because they are the ones that can bring our sale up by purchasing our products. The hardest part about this job is when a customer is looking for a specific product or item which we no longer carry or have already sold out. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people, learning about how retail runs, and building up experience.
Pros
Adequate amount of working hours
Cons
Store Managers management skill
A Very Interesting Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cookstown OntarioApril 20, 2015
American Eagle was very interesting to work at for my first retail job. Due to the store opening brand new, I was able to receive a different experience then most people in retail. My co-workers and I built the store from the ground up. Building shelves and receiving our first shipment was all very interesting. My management was challenging sometimes but for the most part they made working there bearable. I learned many things like cash, and how to sell to anyone which was pretty cool.
Pros
Retail, 40% discount, very friendly co-workers
Cons
Management was not well organized, over hiring was an issue, management would also give themselves more hours instead of the employees, no a lot of hours
Energetic Day at Work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 25, 2015
* Clean the floors and windows
* Open the store for the day
* Stock & fold the clothing
* Promote the promotions
* Handle the cash register
* Customer service at the fitting rooms
Pros
Good sales & busy days
Cons
Not making sales
Fun place to Work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Great place for learning customer service skills and how to deal in a fast paced environment.
productive and fun workplace
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  cambridgeAugust 18, 2015
very positive work environment! I have another part time job and they were very accommodating in scheduling around those hours, as they were different every week. Really great management, expectations are clear and training is thorough.
Very Stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 26, 2015
Manager's weren't very understanding, felt as though they had favorite employees and they showed it. It felt like they didn't care if you failed or not.
Easy and Fun
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey BCSeptember 11, 2015
Worked in the back, organized floorset. Respected by managers and helped whenever needed instructions.
Co-workers were easy to work with, everyone was on the same page and made a great culture.
Fun place
Sales (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 26, 2015
People were friendly and nice environment. The workplace was space limited and too must dust and stocking. Learned new things about sales.
It was a fun work enviroment
Sales Assoociate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 30, 2015
American Eagle Outfitters was a fun and good place to work but if you're not a good seller or don't like to force people to buy stuff this isn't your ideal job. I was comfortable with forcing people to buy stuff or using my selling techniques.
Pros
great enviroment, friends with all your coworkers and managers
Cons
not enough hours

American Eagle Outfiters Reviews by Location