American Eagle Outfiters Employee Reviews in Canada

it was a fun place to work at, but it was unorganized.
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCMay 9, 2016
the work environment was fun, everyone would try to help each other out. shifts were cut short often and changes to the schedule were spontaneous. work was simple and easy to do, you work quickly and sometimes customers were rude but you just have to work through that.
Pros
you get good discounts on clothes
Cons
unorganized
They're terrible for overhiring
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 7, 2016
I have't worked since boxing day 2016 because they haven't figured out that there are associates who haven't worked in forever.
Pros
During busy hours work is enjoyable
Cons
Can be boring during dead hours, not a lot of options tasking-wise; some coworkers are a little catty
sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2016
My typical day at work is greeting customers, letting everyone know our promotions for the day, cashing customers items and helping customers choosing outfits.
Pros
great work ethic
Cons
short hours
Good part time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Sales goals are really high but are reachable if you are good at communication and sales. Management is extremely helpful and friendly. The team and environment is very relaxed.
Work focused space with a fast paced environment
"Overnight Merchandise Associate" (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 6, 2016
Fast paced work environment with a lot of tasks at hand constantly. Most of my shift were casual overnight shifts. the hardest part of my job was how it went overnight.
Managers are treated poorly and hear nothing but negative
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertNovember 20, 2015
All our management team ever heard was how poorly we were doing without any leadership or direction to improve.

I closed every Saturday. I worked the split every Tuesday. I worked every holiday, and was never scheduled a lieu day. Contract is for 44 hours but I was frequently told to "suck it up" when scheduled for 50 or more.
Fun workplace with great people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 12, 2016
learned how important team building is and the most enjoyable part of working here is the appreciation people have when you help them.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2016
I only worked there for a season but it was fun and filled with laughter and i always got to work and left work smiling. Never had a dull day at work, working with them.
Fun work place!
Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 11, 2016
I loved working here. Great environment. I learned many things working here, such as customer service, cleaning techniques and handling cash. Management was fantastic and very accommodating with my schedule.
Pros
Fun environment
American Eagle review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2016
Doing my coop at A&E was definitely a good choice. learned so much from working their. There where times I thought they were overly using me, but at the end of the day I got a lot of experience and I'm happy about that.
Pros
I got half off all store items.
Cons
They worked me hard.
Lively and Functional Workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 20, 2016
I had a great time working at American Eagle Outfitters, i gained valuable retail experience and customer service skills which i could apply to my self in the coming future.
Pros
Helpful Manager
Cons
Seasonal Contract
not enough hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
Doesn't offer a lot of hours, shifts are usually only three hours long. Although the staff is friendly and the environment is welcoming
Pros
great discounts
Cons
management
i had fun in this job
PART- TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2016
I learned a lot regarding customer service, selling and even keeping the store up to standard, I have also learned how to execute floorset instructions and it basically gives you more hours especially when you can work late.
Productive and fun work environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 18, 2016
Great way to meet and greet customers and learn different sales techniques. Learn to multi-task and work with different people.
Regional role
Regional Director Canada (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 3, 2016
Very weak leadership in this company. Directional no involvement required to work there. Canada is at the mercy of the USA.
Fast paced yet still very fun work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Each day is something new with American Eagle Outfitters.

Retail is an ever changing industry and AEO has a much more desirable position in the global market than in previous years. Having recently opened locations over seas this year in the UK, American Eagle is a globally known brand that really understands the fundamentals of putting your customer first.

The most enjoyable part of work was the amazing team I had. It makes coming into work easier knowing you are part of such a close knit team of individuals with the same passion for customer service.

As part of the management team, we were very involved with our associates, providing constant coaching and training to ensure a sales driven team. I had the opportunity to work with various store managers and various district managers and I feel the one thing AEO lacks is company consistency. Involvement from both your SM and DM varied greatly. While each had the opportunity to contribute, some chose to procrastinate ultimately leading to a snowball affect, leading to a loss of sales and a negative impact on daily operations.

The most difficult aspect of working at AEO was the payroll ladder. Payrolls and sales are very dependent on each other. When payroll isn't invested wisely or situations don't entirely play out as you were hoping, your store could suffer greatly. As a result, if management didn't put in extra hours (of unpaid work since they are salaried), many tasks could not be completed with the various payroll cuts made over the past couple years.

The company provided many opportunities for advancement,
  more... various gifts for associates, rewards for hitting KPI's and this year, flew all store managers to Florida for a company wide meeting.  less
Pros
great reward systems, great team, opportunity for advancement
Cons
long hours, unpaid overtime, lack of available payroll
Great people but terrible hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2016
I started of in the company as a Co-op student and loved it. Then i got hired on around Christmas. I would often be doing my 4 hours of co-op have a very little break (maybe half an hour) and then have to be back to work my paid shift. They have too many staff kept on as part time so a lot of people get forgotten about and end up with no hours.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
little-no hours after seasonal peeks
Retail
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 30, 2015
American Eagle is a great retail experience for anyone starting out in the work force. The employees are great to work as well as the management team.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2016
it is a very welcoming work environment, got to work with amazing co-workers as well as meet great people through customer service aspect of the job.
Fast-paced environment
Team Leader and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 25, 2016
Get ready to work! The staff is friendly, but the company has standards to be respected at all times (visual, merchandising, employee behaviour, etc). Not doing so could result in a significant reduction in work hours, as AEO prioritizes efficient workers over everything else
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
unstable hours

American Eagle Outfiters Reviews by Location