American Eagle Outfiters Employee Reviews

Productive and costumer driven sales environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work for a seasonal sales associate at American Eagle, consisted of clocking in, and finding out what area in the store I was to cover.
I learned how to be patient and how to appropriately handle costumers to provide the most satisfying shopping experience during the holidays.
The management were exceptional. Great people, welcoming, and available to provide assistance when needed.
Co-workers were great as well.
The hardest part of the job was trying to manage the demands of the various costumers that came in the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to provide costumers with a satisfying experience.
Great workplace environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 30, 2016
Watch a video on the latest news and promotions for the store then fill out a goal sheet for the day. It gave me more confidence since you had to approach people and try to get them to buy clothes. Hardest part of the job was to try and influence customers when their minds were made up.
Pros
Snacks in the backroom
Cons
Cut shifts at the last minute, not being scheduled for weeks
Ignorant Management
Sales Associate / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 25, 2016
Honestly, I loved my job up until they got new assistant managers who were nothing but rude and ignorant towards the employees.

Everything was done by favoritism, and that was done by who would do the most for each manager within the store. if you didn't do what they wanted (non-work related) you were treated awful.

Besides the Management team (excluding 2 people) my co-workers were AMAZING. i loved working with everyone and teaching them all new things and making sure they were having an amazing day!

The hardest part of the job would probly be keeping up with every customer and their needs.

The most enjoyable park of the job would be getting to see the look on someone' s face when you help them find something that makes them not only look but feel amazing in!
Pros
Great Associates, Great customers
Cons
rude and ignorant management
Productive and fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 20, 2016
There were many different sections to be placed per shift, for example one shift I would be strictly cash, the next shift I would be strictly sales and selling on the floor, another shift I could be working the fitting rooms. Lots of variety which is what made the job enjoyable. The co-workers were very tight knit and always stood by each others side.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Not enough hours
i had fun in this job
PART- TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2016
I learned a lot regarding customer service, selling and even keeping the store up to standard, I have also learned how to execute floorset instructions and it basically gives you more hours especially when you can work late.
American Eagle review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 10, 2016
Doing my coop at A&E was definitely a good choice. learned so much from working their. There where times I thought they were overly using me, but at the end of the day I got a lot of experience and I'm happy about that.
Pros
I got half off all store items.
Cons
They worked me hard.
fun environment, disorganised management
Emerging Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2016
Love the people and the company.. the management at store level are very disorganized and moving up in the store level is complicated and they are not honest with you during the process. But if your new to retail of just want a sales job , it is great.
Pros
amazing discounts
Cons
management inconsistencies.
Tense environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2016
I dreaded coming in to work everyday. I disliked the management and the monotonous work. None of the management seemed as if they cared for the staff and there was no attempt to motivate sales associates. The manager had no qualms about berating an associate in the presence of other associates and treated certain staff terribly. The most enjoyable part of my day was clocking out.
Pros
The sales associates
Cons
The management
Welcoming place to work
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 25, 2016
All of my co-workers and managers were great! They were welcoming, understanding and considerate. Great company to work for.
Lively and Functional Workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 20, 2016
I had a great time working at American Eagle Outfitters, i gained valuable retail experience and customer service skills which i could apply to my self in the coming future.
Pros
Helpful Manager
Cons
Seasonal Contract
Fun workplace and amazing co-workers
Part-time Sales Associate/Jean Expert (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 16, 2016
Sell company's clothes
Customer behaviour
Management was poor because I do not get any hours
Co-workers were fun and easy to get along with
Trying to sell Reward Points Card
Enjoyable part of the job is to interact with customers and work with my co-workers
Pros
Good discount
Cons
No hours
Where do i begin...
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  BCMarch 16, 2016
Oh live your life american eagle, what started off as fun, turned into a never ending nightmare, district manager has no idea what was going on or how to answer questions at times. Late arrivals constant so your always setting up floor sets late. Long long long hours for low pay and no overtime, you constantly beat last years numbers but the targets are so high you never bonus, they can be 20-40% up on the previous year.

3 assistant managers lead you to not learn as much as a co manager would, spend too much time under one category and store managers who really don't care and disappear early you end up working more hours then them. Shipments are so high and the product you actually need never comes. Back rooms are too small, real safety issue. No actual training is ever given and worst of all conversion has the same expectation 20% across the district even though ever store, every location is completely different it baffles me.

The one thing i loved was my staff, they really did love you and appreciated everything you said or did. Discounts are great they do look after you like that. Benefits are good and vacation is paid 2 weeks after one year. Pay is ok, but negotiate as much as possible there is room. For assistant you can get at least $38,000 if they really really want you.

Not every store is like this, but this pretty much is the picture across the district in bc.
Pros
discount, vacation pay, benefits, competitions
Cons
long hours, low salary, constant visits, no DM support
Fun easy place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 15, 2016
Work was easy with friendly management and employees. The only issue is that they were not willing to give a lot of hours to new recruits.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2016
it is a very welcoming work environment, got to work with amazing co-workers as well as meet great people through customer service aspect of the job.
fun minimum wage job, ideal for students.
Sales Associate/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONMarch 1, 2016
Typical retail job but I find that American Eagle treats their employees very well. The company has little rules regarding clothing (you don't have to wear their clothes, you just do because the discount is amazing), all they ask if that you dress in season and appropriately like most jobs. Great, fun environment. Opportunity to make good connections with your co-workers. I definitely enjoy going to work each day and I will miss the company when I have to leave after graduation.
Pros
amazing discounts, laid back environment, flexible hours.
Cons
short hours, little opportunity for more hours unless in a manager position or open availability.
Fun place to work!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 14, 2016
American Eagle is a great place to work and all the employees are awesome! I loved my coworkers and management! It was very busy, but shifts went by quick!!
Pros
Discount
Quick paced, but judgemental
SALES AND CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Dufferin Mall, Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2016
You would sign in, and not really be told what you were going to be doing that day. There wasn't much training and they didn't inform you of promotions going on. Also it was a very judgemental environment, like if you didn't wear the right clothes you could tell that you were being judged by your manager and coworkers.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Bad environment
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Fun people to work with, management is great and the most enjoyable part of my day is organizing and cleaning. I've learned about the buisness and daily patience.
Pros
The people I work with are amazing
Cons
Salary
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJanuary 31, 2016
Easy place to work at. Very relaxed. Customers are easy to work with. Focus is on the sales quota. Had to focus on customers sense of fashion and use that to make sales. Management is very relaxed. Very fun to work.
Pros
Relaxed Workplace
Cons
Not Enough Hours
American Eagle sales associate jobs carry multiple responsibilities. Primary job duties for American Eagle sales associates include providing customer
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me helping customers with their needs in the fashion sector. I learned several things such as how to give excellent customer service. The management was great and I got along with my co-workers.
Pros
80% discounts

American Eagle Outfiters Reviews by Location