AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES

AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun company to work for
Porter/Maintenance (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 14, 2014
: I have one of the coolest co-worker
: typical day at work is to keep the grounds clean and help clear any work orders that are not done
Fun, fast- paced environment.
Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Fairborn, OhApril 14, 2014
Pros: healthcare benefits, tuition reimbursement, abilitity to advance
A typical day would include processing rent payments, creating and reconciling various reports, updating delinquency documents, preparing for eviction procedures if need be, consulting and advising residents on all financial matters regarding their account. In this position, Im learning alot about the Student Housing industry, mainly about the laws – more... and regulations. The most enjoyable part of this position is being the a main point of contact for residents with financial concerns. This allows me to create a good rapport and a level of trust with the resident, which makes it easier for me to advise them on what to do. The hardest part of this position is having to evict a resident. – less
Awesome company!
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 10, 2014
Awesome company to work for. All employees, coworkers, management and corporate team members work together towards a common goal. Company encourages and rewards employees fairly. I enjoy every single day here!
Great job employees get along great
facilities maintenance (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great environment to work
Cons: pay raises are not great
I am in maintenance i deal with all the residents which for the most part they are great. The rest of the staff have a great outlook on the job.
Large company with lots of movement
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INJanuary 28, 2014
Great large company, some micromanaging but most are very friendly and helpful.
Productive and Advancement is Up to You
Temp-for-Turn/ Seasonal Work (Former Employee), Bowling Green, OHJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: pool, hot tub, great paycheck, fair working practices.
Cons: unyielding schedule.
My typical day was hard pressed, early, and challenging some of the time; however, I would take the job back in a second if I could. The company has many advancement opportunities as well as great wages. The people I worked with were strict but easygoing in the workplace.
Oversee the entire accounting department
Bookkeeper/ Business Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: the office staff
I enjoyed working for the company. Very fast past. Construct precise and update reports on a weekly and monthly basis to ensure account accuracy while minimizing errors. File and process evictions,
No appreication for a job well done
GM (Current Employee), Staten IslandDecember 19, 2013
Pros: working so closing with the college
Cons: inabiltiy to make desicions, lack of communication
Long hours to put in, the pro staff is kept divided, in house decisions are not made by the staff but by corporate office, this company is overworked and underman if you. You have no input on decisions. They look for puppets, individuals that do not have the capacity to think for themselves.
Awesome!
Community Assistant/Leasing Agent (Current Employee), Lexington, KYDecember 16, 2013
Great place to work. I really enjoy being here. As long as you don't mind talking to the public and helping residents solve their issues you shouldn't have a problem.
American Campus
Payroll Associate (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 12, 2013
Pros: free breakfast every friday, half-day fridays during the summer, overall friendly employees, opportunities to advance within the company
Overall, American Campus Communities is a great company to work for. I started working in the corporate office in February or 2012, and it has been a reasonably pleasant experience.
The morale within the office is hard to beat, and other companies would do well to follow-suit.
Productive environment with some room for fun and games.
Leasing Agent (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2013
Pros: free housing, flexible hours around class schedule.
Cons: not to many breaks, demanding job, takes up most of my time.
The normal day of work depends on what time you come into work. There is a different dynamic during different shifts. In the mornings' it is very slow and not that much traffic at all. If you are a back office worker, you occasional get any traffic, the most that is done is answering questions, filing paperwork, or small tasks assigned by the management – more... staff. The hardest part of the job is dealing with out of control residents that are upset about small things. The most enjoyable part is telling potential residents about the apartment complex and getting them to sign a lease. – less
great company
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Tempe, AZOctober 28, 2013
Great atmosphere, great co workers, and awesome experience.
Worst company to ever work for
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee), Columbia, MOSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: good insurance
Cons: everything
I was hired as maintenance manager. I was told I would have a porter and a maintenance tech to help. I was all alone most of the time. I worked 14-16 days and did not have a day off for 3 months. I was told I was not doing enough. I was also on call at night and would have to go in 2-5 times on some nights. The operations specialist that was running – more... the place was not good at communication and just told you everything you did wrong constantly. I was not getting paid much at all when you consider I was working so much. They used me through turn and then fired me. Worst company I have ever worked for!! – less
Great place to work if you're into slave labor.
Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: positive atmosphere, nice people, overtime
Cons: overworked, underpaid, constant negative environment due to residents/guarantors
This company demands a lot from their employees, to the point to where you will no longer have a social life. You're guaranteed to work far beyond your designated hours (literally 5-6 hours over regularly).

July-September are the worst months of the year. That's when their Turnover (old students moving out, new students moving in) happens.They have – more... you work everyday, averaging about 12 hours a day, with no days off. It's probably the most stressful event you'll endure in your life. I think I almost quit about 4 or 5 times during the whole thing.

The compensation isn't nearly what you should be earning for the workload that is passed on to you. If you decide you'd like to work for this company, expect to be doing at least the workload of 2-3 people all the time.

As a bookkeeper, the worst thing to deal with were guarantors, which were basically the residents parents. The bookkeeper is somewhat the buffer/collector. You collect money and when the guarantors are ready to go off on you, you just sit there and take it. You call and harass people for money, plus some data entry. Being anything higher than a community assistant places you in a constant negative environment. You'll face constant verbal abuse from both residents and guarantors. You're constantly pressured to get their overall delinquency down, with no appreciation for what you've accomplished.

It's also very hard to advance, as there's somewhat of an "in crowd" and you have to be a part to have a chance of growth in the company. There's also a high turnover rate.Personally, I could understand why. After I get some years and experience under my belt, I will probably never work in student housing again.

Personally, I worked with a team of outstanding people and this job will definitely forge anyone in the fire with almost every position they have, but all in all, there are definitely other places that you can earn the same compensation for less demanding work. – less
Great place to get experience
ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee), Austin TxAugust 30, 2013
Pros: great time off, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: long hours and no advancement options
This place has a wonderful environment, they are very relaxed and have great perks for attire and time off. You will have a lot of responsibilities and if you want to learn more they are willing to work with you. However, in some departments there are limited area's for advancement.
Maintenance supervisor think that they can talk to you in a disrespectful way some worker dont have to work as hard as others.
maintenance tech (Former Employee), north carolinaAugust 4, 2013
Maintenance supervisor bad attitude and some employees don't have pull emergency call or work.
Productive and developmental work enviornment
Community Leasing Assistant (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 23, 2013
Pros: professionally and socially developmental for high level positions, event coordination as well as time management and public speaking +rent compensation.
Cons: high stress level job, interferred with school
While working for ACC I had a very enjoyable time.

A typical workday included social media marketing for the property as well as daily routine tasks such as following up with leasing prospects, setting appointments for property tours, providing property tours for students and parents as well as cater to and accommodate current residents.

I learned – more... how to professionally address stressful situations.
I learned how to be adaptable and dynamic within he workplace
I learned how to coordinate event planning and execution within a team environment
I learned how to time manage within a busy, fast paced work environment
I learned how to become a team leader as well as a team member.
I learned how to socially adjust and adapt to consumers wants and needs.
I also learned how to provide tours through a professional manner as well as publicly speak and guide prospects.

My co-workers were exceptional teammates who taught me how to be a leader and take initiative as well as how to be a good listener and work along side others and to be open to new ideas.

There were many enjoyable parts of the job that included being able to walk to work (on-site).
Another enjoyable aspect was rental compensation as well as the ability to learn something new everyday and have a diverse work environment that allowed high levels of social networking and mobility. – less
Very flexible with school schedule
Community Assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 1, 2013
Loved working here! ACC was very flexible and understanding. Great working environment. I would answer phone calls and handle office duties. I also worked first hand with potential and current residents. I gave tour and helped signed leases.
I learned to be productive and learned to stay calm under stressful situations. I also learned how to sign and – more... explain leasing.
The management was very helpful. They were welcoming for anything questions of comments I had.
My coworkers were friendly and would help cover if ever needed.
The hardest part was handling upset residents. I learned to stay calm and work each incident out on a case to case basis.
The most enjoyable was having a fun environment. I was able to plan events and make living at University Club fun! I love working with people and this job definitely allowed me to do that! – less
Can Be Fun
Corporate Marketing Specialist (Current Employee), NationwideJune 23, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: lack of growth for some departments
The culture is there. The concept is there. The execution at times falls short. But overall, I have worked with many companies, and thus far, this one is still at that top of the list.
lack of communication
leasing (Former Employee), texasJune 15, 2013
Cons: long hours, demanding a lot
The management does not care for their employees or students on property. They never return calls or follow up. It fakes days to get answers. For being a student your work load is ivver thann your Hw load

1 2 3

About AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES

American Campus Communities (ACC) actually does most of its business off campus. The self-managed real estate investment trust – Read more

AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES Photos