American Campus Communities

American Campus Communities Employee Reviews

Awesome Job with no chance of social life
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZ20 June 2017
Great atmosphere and pretty steady workload except for the summertime when your expected to work 16 hour days 7 days a week! i recall spending the night there a couple of evenings because i was too tired to drive home
Productive and fun environment for college students
Community Assistant/Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA19 June 2017
Being a college student it is very rare to find a job that works with your school schedule and you are able to learn and grow while being in position.

This position taught me time management, valuable information about real estate , how to negotiate and close deals, the list can go on .

The work environment was still fun and close knit even in difficult situations.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the occasional irate tenant or tenant parent and being ON CALL.
Pros
Flexible with school schedule
Cons
on call
Productive fun day
Residential director (Former Employee) –  Towson, MD14 June 2017
I enjoyed the experience of handling other students issues especially when it comes to college living. A typical day at work was hectic but our staff made sure that we got the job done as a team. The most enjoyable thing about the job is that we worked together and management made sure that we were always ok.
Pros
Prorated rent
Fair working for college students
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TX 7601331 May 2017
Overall if you are a student looking for a place to live and a little money it is the place to work. Not good for heavy school work, and you can also work random nights in which you do not always get free time. Everyone knows you and honestly you do not have privacy because you have to live there to work. If you are okay with these, then it is a good starter job, in which you can grow in if you like to. Very competitive and you are always being watched.
Pros
work from home, discount rent
Cons
disorganized, must be young, no lunch breaks, few hours, some late nights & must live there to work
Waste of time
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KY31 May 2017
You'd better be able to not think outside the box and comfort to the corporate program or you will not be successful. Very frustrating experience, would not recommend.
Property Management did not do their job
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GA9 May 2017
I was a Maintenance Manager for one year before being fired. I went on vacation for one week and upon my return the FOS and Property Manager told me I wasn't improving the property. They had the whole property messed up and no make readies completed for new move-ins. I passed my BOSS AUDIT with a great score while other properties failed miserably.
Pros
Cons
Very poor communication
Sometimes working for a corperate Resident life agency is not ideal.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH8 May 2017
I had an overall positive experience working with this company. there are many struggles with some things because it is a corporation and you have to go through so many hoops to get things done.
Pros
Free Room and Board
Cons
They do not care about your personal life and commitments.
A rollercoaster
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TX3 May 2017
During leasing season and in the beginning of semesters, things can get very hectic. Other than that, you bond with your coworkers and residents through common life overlaps.
good people
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NY25 April 2017
residents are difficult to work with being that they are kids. Co workers are good people. Need to be more accountable with residents. Managers are nice and knowledgeable
Small IT department and nice cafe with all time games available
Lead Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX24 April 2017
Freedom while working and office timings. Paid public holidays for contractors if worked hard. Also get paid if worked extra hours without any demand.
Pros
End to end development opportunity due to small teams.
Cons
Small office where people just work silently.
Love the structure!!
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MS (Campus Trails)23 April 2017
If you want a good foundation, it's the company to start with. I loved my property, co-workers, and residents!! My only reason for leaving was a much better offer in pay and position. I don't think they understood how hard it was to find certified techs in small cities. ACC is a great company!!
Pros
Structure, employes, and benefits.(Relocation!!)
Cons
Pay is not the best
Corporate - Very young professionals that have never worked anywhere else and have climbed into management
IT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX12 April 2017
Corporate - Political environment, highly crowded IT desks, management changes direction on a whim. Nepotism is rampant. Salaries not to par with the market.
Pros
Free Friday breakfast
Cons
Not enough Vacation days, insurance is mediocre
Productive and hands on
LEAD Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TX9 April 2017
American Campus Communities provides off campus's student apartments to students in the university area. They are the largest company in this space. They have hundreds of locations
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Low pay
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NY7 April 2017
The property i worked at was nice overall. We had a good staff. Only problem is with upper management (corporate) They would come from Texas to New York and act like they know about snow removal, how it should be done, how long it should take, when they have never experienced a real snow storm before. One corporate guy would come for a week and tell us to do things one way, the next week another corporate guy would come and say all that stuff is wrong and change everything again. Great place to work but corporate is a pain in the a**
A fun office to work at but had many demands.
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KY30 March 2017
The job itself was very demanding causing someone to work more hours then they agreed to. As a college student you need more time for studies but as work becomes more demanding then you can't put as much time towards school. The people you work with however are really fun and your clients are people close to your age usually.
Pros
Sometimes you get free food, management is nice, provides good experience
Cons
Time consuming
Culture! Culture! Culture!
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX28 March 2017
Grab a cup of coffee from the kitchen and make my way to my desk. By 8:15 a.m I and up and running full speed until lunch time. Everyone is real friendly and approachable. It it a great working environment and a good place to learn.
Pros
free breakfast on Fridays
Cons
contractor
Safe and Great Work place.
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prairie View, TX28 March 2017
This company has helped me to grow in understanding, pacing my work, and allowing me to understand the corporate world in an office setting. The management staff always there to answer any questions that are
Pros
System operations, scheduling, family oriented
Cons
Fast-paced, communication
Supportive Corporate Support Staff / Busy Summers!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  California20 March 2017
Working at the property level workplace culture will vary from property to property. Lots of potential for growth and promotions - the company and student housing industry is booming and they love promoting from within. Lots of young professionals in high management and leadership positions. The hardest part of the job is customer service with students and parents and long hours worked during annual turnover.

I wish the company was more progressive when it comes to benefits, pay and had more of a millennial-friendly, pro-employee culture.
Pros
Young professional, growth opportunities, supportive corporate staff, great training programs, easy to succeed
Cons
Long hours over the summer, not super progressive when it comes to employee culture
Potential, but management could use some work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OH20 March 2017
the company is great. My work area was good and my co workers were super nice. However as a student I felt over worked and ignored. The job was a part time job, but they had work way over 20 hours a week and every single weekend. At my particular property I was working, because it was new there were alot of kinks in the way everything was run. I feel like the time I was working there I was there during the worst times, which is why I can't rate the company any higher.
Pros
Nice staff, great residents.
Cons
Over worked.
Upper management puts money over safety.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX15 March 2017
There are countless OSHA violations on any given day, the Maintenance Supervisor is extremely fair. However the Property Manager is money hungry for a bonus, dismissing any other problem. She is bias against white men, prefers to only hire black women, and is incredibly flagrant about it. Worst part is corporate doesn't care.
Pros
Golf Carts
Cons
5 Month vacation blackout dates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Campus Communities. Our community is ready to answer.