American Campus Communities Employee Reviews

Property Management did not do their job
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GA9 May 2017
I was a Maintenance Manager for one year before being fired. I went on vacation for one week and upon my return the FOS and Property Manager told me I wasn't improving the property. They had the whole property messed up and no make readies completed for new move-ins. I passed my BOSS AUDIT with a great score while other properties failed miserably.
Pros
Cons
Very poor communication
A rollercoaster
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TX3 May 2017
During leasing season and in the beginning of semesters, things can get very hectic. Other than that, you bond with your coworkers and residents through common life overlaps.
good people
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NY25 April 2017
residents are difficult to work with being that they are kids. Co workers are good people. Need to be more accountable with residents. Managers are nice and knowledgeable
Small IT department and nice cafe with all time games available
Lead Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX24 April 2017
Freedom while working and office timings. Paid public holidays for contractors if worked hard. Also get paid if worked extra hours without any demand.
Pros
End to end development opportunity due to small teams.
Cons
Small office where people just work silently.
Love the structure!!
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MS (Campus Trails)23 April 2017
If you want a good foundation, it's the company to start with. I loved my property, co-workers, and residents!! My only reason for leaving was a much better offer in pay and position. I don't think they understood how hard it was to find certified techs in small cities. ACC is a great company!!
Pros
Structure, employes, and benefits.(Relocation!!)
Cons
Pay is not the best
Corporate - Very young professionals that have never worked anywhere else and have climbed into management
IT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX12 April 2017
Corporate - Political environment, highly crowded IT desks, management changes direction on a whim. Nepotism is rampant. Salaries not to par with the market.
Pros
Free Friday breakfast
Cons
Not enough Vacation days, insurance is mediocre
Productive and hands on
LEAD Specialist Intern (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TX9 April 2017
American Campus Communities provides off campus's student apartments to students in the university area. They are the largest company in this space. They have hundreds of locations
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Low pay
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NY7 April 2017
The property i worked at was nice overall. We had a good staff. Only problem is with upper management (corporate) They would come from Texas to New York and act like they know about snow removal, how it should be done, how long it should take, when they have never experienced a real snow storm before. One corporate guy would come for a week and tell us to do things one way, the next week another corporate guy would come and say all that stuff is wrong and change everything again. Great place to work but corporate is a pain in the a**
A fun office to work at but had many demands.
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KY30 March 2017
The job itself was very demanding causing someone to work more hours then they agreed to. As a college student you need more time for studies but as work becomes more demanding then you can't put as much time towards school. The people you work with however are really fun and your clients are people close to your age usually.
Pros
Sometimes you get free food, management is nice, provides good experience
Cons
Time consuming
Culture! Culture! Culture!
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX28 March 2017
Grab a cup of coffee from the kitchen and make my way to my desk. By 8:15 a.m I and up and running full speed until lunch time. Everyone is real friendly and approachable. It it a great working environment and a good place to learn.
Pros
free breakfast on Fridays
Cons
contractor
Safe and Great Work place.
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prairie View, TX28 March 2017
This company has helped me to grow in understanding, pacing my work, and allowing me to understand the corporate world in an office setting. The management staff always there to answer any questions that are
Pros
System operations, scheduling, family oriented
Cons
Fast-paced, communication
Supportive Corporate Support Staff / Busy Summers!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  California20 March 2017
Working at the property level workplace culture will vary from property to property. Lots of potential for growth and promotions - the company and student housing industry is booming and they love promoting from within. Lots of young professionals in high management and leadership positions. The hardest part of the job is customer service with students and parents and long hours worked during annual turnover.

I wish the company was more progressive when it comes to benefits, pay and had more of a millennial-friendly, pro-employee culture.
Pros
Young professional, growth opportunities, supportive corporate staff, great training programs, easy to succeed
Cons
Long hours over the summer, not super progressive when it comes to employee culture
Potential, but management could use some work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OH20 March 2017
the company is great. My work area was good and my co workers were super nice. However as a student I felt over worked and ignored. The job was a part time job, but they had work way over 20 hours a week and every single weekend. At my particular property I was working, because it was new there were alot of kinks in the way everything was run. I feel like the time I was working there I was there during the worst times, which is why I can't rate the company any higher.
Pros
Nice staff, great residents.
Cons
Over worked.
Upper management puts money over safety.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX15 March 2017
There are countless OSHA violations on any given day, the Maintenance Supervisor is extremely fair. However the Property Manager is money hungry for a bonus, dismissing any other problem. She is bias against white men, prefers to only hire black women, and is incredibly flagrant about it. Worst part is corporate doesn't care.
Pros
Golf Carts
Cons
5 Month vacation blackout dates
Community Assistant is the perfect job for a college student!
Leasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CO2 March 2017
I have loved working for American Campus Communities. I have learned a lot from my management and peers as well. This is by far the best place I have worked. I really like the fact that my work place is right down stairs and that I get benefits on my rental pay. This place is awesome!
Pros
Discounted rent, free food, and well paid
Cons
Have to move school schedule around to work here.
Horrible
Porter/maintenance (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA15 February 2017
Management in Atlanta ga talk horrible behind your back pays you only $9 for three buildings to get on your hands and knees. Discrimination is high especially if you have a accident.
Pros
Non
Cons
Management lack of handling money and giving respect
Great structure
COMMUNITY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX15 February 2017
They had excellent training and opportunities to grow within the company after college. Pay wasn't good and the work environment varied depending on the time of the year and who they had in office at that point in time. They were consistent on when they wanted across the company and their values were consistent.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Staff
Da
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TX11 February 2017
As a desk assistant you are responsible for being the primary person of contact during the graveyard hours. The hours on a normal week are 10:00 PM - 3:30 AM or 3:30 AM - 9:00 AM. It is a requirement to be a currently enrolled University student in order to be hired.
As far as compensation goes the job pays $8.00 per hour with the opportunity of employer 401k matching after being employed for 12-months.
Current ACC hiring practices dictate that 8 DAs be hired for every building. That means that the Average DA will only have 11-12 hours each per week.
As a DA you will get to work more whenever there is a holiday as full time staff members will get off, meaning that every Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc. you will be required to work.
Pros
Watch movies or Browse the internet during shift; Free Color Printing
Cons
No raises in pay; Too few hours due to overhiring
Best Job Ever
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OH20 January 2017
Best Job Ever, the company treats there employees like gold. Its fun interacting with students and organizing and facilitating programs for the residents. Work schedules are flexible, which works well because we are students and school is our first priority.
Very fluid environment
They also assist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TX3 January 2017
Not much was happening that i could say i had a bad experience working here. Everyone for the most part got along and the problems that did pop up were easy to solve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Campus Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval