AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES

AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Pleasant Atmosphere
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Fairborn, OHJuly 2, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: part time only
I enjoy working for American Campus Communities at The Province. It is a pleasant work environment, laid back and friendly. The pay is good for what I do but I only get part time hours and no benefits. I would recommend this place to work
Sociable and friendly working environment
Leasing Manager (Current Employee), Starkville, MSJune 21, 2014
Pros: flexibility, meeting new and exciting people
Cons: amount of pay versus the amount of work done
A typical day at work is calling potential prospects for the upcoming school year to sign a leasing agreement with us. Marketing and Advertising for the property. Taking tours and signing leasing agreements. Handling roommate conflicts. What I've learned from working at Campus Trails is that you have to have patients and always be willing to understand – more... and compromise with others. Management plays a big part of leasing and marketing. The co-workers are willing to do whatever it take to get the property filled to 100% occupancy. The hardest part of the job is leaving before getting all the work for the day completed. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet new people to build rapport with the residents. – less
Great place to work and move up withing the community
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), Athens, GAJune 3, 2014
Pros: moving up quickly
Cons: i don't have any
Working at American Campus Communities is a great place if you are a great people's person along with working with students to make sure that their housing experience is nothing but great. I think that if you commit yourself and be a very great hard worker you can excel in getting the knowledge in the company as well as moving up the ladder.
Should be called Bill Bayless and Friends communities
Director (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 30, 2014
Pros: gained experience in such of great industry serving such of great clients.
Cons: buddy system driven and investors are clueless.
Just a very broken business with to loyalty to those that built it from the ground up.

If you do not belong to the Bayless group, you are out!
Very nice place to work
Corporate Accountant (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 14, 2014
I have learned a lot at ACC. The people are very friendly and helpful.
General Manager (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 3, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: compensation
American Campus Communities is the nation's largest developer, owner and manager of high-quality student housing communities. We led the industry to a new plateau in 2004 when we became the first publicly traded student housing REIT (NYSE: ACC). Since 1996, we've developed more than $4.2 billion in properties for our own account and our university clients, – more... and we have acquired in excess of $4.6 billion in student housing assets. Also, we've become a national leader in third-party development and management of on-campus student housing, having been awarded the development of more than 70 on-campus projects (in addition to our 23 projects developed off campus). Our commitment to our college and university partners is evidenced in our strong ongoing relationships. More than half of our on-campus developed communities (39 of 70) came from additional projects awarded to us after we had successfully completed a previous community.

A deep-rooted understanding of the industry drives the American Campus team. Sixteen members of our senior corporate staff began their careers as resident assistants while attending college. Throughout their collective careers, our senior staff has been involved in the development, acquisition or management of more than 350 student housing properties consisting of more than 222,000 beds. This unparalleled experience guides how we analyze student markets, underwrite acquisitions, design and construct our developments, and how we market, lease and operate our communities. – less
Excellent student position!
Community Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 2, 2014
In return for your work you were given housing!!!
The schedule was very flexible, had an understanding supervisor and was walking distance from campus.
Community Assistant
Community Assistant (Current Employee), Irvine, CAApril 30, 2014
This job allows individuals to "try on many hats" on the job because there are many different aspects to the job. There is leasing, marketing, programming, budgeting, time management, staff committee management, conflict mediation, and office administration.
Good administrative/office work experience, but happiness really depends on management
Community Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 22, 2014
Pros: good basic clerical work experience
Cons: poor pay, bad regional management
I have worked here since late August/early September and am not coming back next year. After these next 4 weeks are up I'm moving on. I've enjoyed it sometimes, because it is good basic clerical work experience, but there are definitely downsides:
-Poor pay
-Micromanaging, insincere bosses who play favorites with employees (at least in my case)

In – more... my case, both the regional manager and assistant regional manager, my bosses, were micro mangers and concerned themselves with every little thing I was supposedly doing wrong - not smiling enough, not having a good enough attitude, etc. They never complimented the work I did and only served to hawk over me and hound me whenever something went wrong. Furthermore, they blamed us CAs for the apartment complex not leasing as fast as they would have liked. They also played favorites - it was VERY clear a few weeks in that my bosses disliked me, and there was very little I could do about it.

When my boss was gone on maternity leave for two months, and an interim general manager was brought in from another property, I found I enjoyed this job much, much more: things were more relaxed, there wasn't needless anxiety around the office, and I actually was motivated to work for him. Unfortunately since my boss came back from maternity leave it's only gotten worse. Some CAs in my office are aware of my boss' problems, but we're never going to say anything because she never believes she is wrong. My assistant boss (the assistant general manager) is, quite frankly, not very intelligent and yet criticizes me for things like not organizing the desk drawers properly in an attempt to assert her authority.

My bosses were all about arbitrary control, and my main boss arguably even developed a cult of personality that the female CAs bought into, leaving me isolated and disliked in the office. My boss made this a very dysfunctional work environment at times, and I am glad to say I will not be going back next year. Good riddance. – less
Always something new
Resident Director (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHApril 14, 2014
Pros: living close to where i work
Cons: living on campus, low pay
There is no typical day in Residence Life. Fast pace and challenging Highly rewarding student interaction.
Fun company to work for
Porter/Maintenance (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 14, 2014
: I have one of the coolest co-worker
: typical day at work is to keep the grounds clean and help clear any work orders that are not done
Fun, fast- paced environment.
Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Fairborn, OhApril 14, 2014
Pros: healthcare benefits, tuition reimbursement, abilitity to advance
A typical day would include processing rent payments, creating and reconciling various reports, updating delinquency documents, preparing for eviction procedures if need be, consulting and advising residents on all financial matters regarding their account. In this position, Im learning alot about the Student Housing industry, mainly about the laws – more... and regulations. The most enjoyable part of this position is being the a main point of contact for residents with financial concerns. This allows me to create a good rapport and a level of trust with the resident, which makes it easier for me to advise them on what to do. The hardest part of this position is having to evict a resident. – less
Awesome company!
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 10, 2014
Awesome company to work for. All employees, coworkers, management and corporate team members work together towards a common goal. Company encourages and rewards employees fairly. I enjoy every single day here!
Great job employees get along great
facilities maintenance (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great environment to work
Cons: pay raises are not great
I am in maintenance i deal with all the residents which for the most part they are great. The rest of the staff have a great outlook on the job.
Large company with lots of movement
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee), West Lafayette, INJanuary 28, 2014
Great large company, some micromanaging but most are very friendly and helpful.
Productive and Advancement is Up to You
Temp-for-Turn/ Seasonal Work (Former Employee), Bowling Green, OHJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: pool, hot tub, great paycheck, fair working practices.
Cons: unyielding schedule.
My typical day was hard pressed, early, and challenging some of the time; however, I would take the job back in a second if I could. The company has many advancement opportunities as well as great wages. The people I worked with were strict but easygoing in the workplace.
Oversee the entire accounting department
Bookkeeper/ Business Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: the office staff
I enjoyed working for the company. Very fast past. Construct precise and update reports on a weekly and monthly basis to ensure account accuracy while minimizing errors. File and process evictions,
No appreication for a job well done
GM (Current Employee), Staten IslandDecember 19, 2013
Pros: working so closing with the college
Cons: inabiltiy to make desicions, lack of communication
Long hours to put in, the pro staff is kept divided, in house decisions are not made by the staff but by corporate office, this company is overworked and underman if you. You have no input on decisions. They look for puppets, individuals that do not have the capacity to think for themselves.
Awesome!
Community Assistant/Leasing Agent (Current Employee), Lexington, KYDecember 16, 2013
Great place to work. I really enjoy being here. As long as you don't mind talking to the public and helping residents solve their issues you shouldn't have a problem.
American Campus
Payroll Associate (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 12, 2013
Pros: free breakfast every friday, half-day fridays during the summer, overall friendly employees, opportunities to advance within the company
Overall, American Campus Communities is a great company to work for. I started working in the corporate office in February or 2012, and it has been a reasonably pleasant experience.
The morale within the office is hard to beat, and other companies would do well to follow-suit.

1 2 3 4

About AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES

American Campus Communities (ACC) actually does most of its business off campus. The self-managed real estate investment trust – Read more

AMERICAN CAMPUS COMMUNITIES Photos