American Apparel Employee Reviews in Canada

Horrible management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCJune 10, 2016
I was disappointed because working in retail is something that I love. I am a fan of the store and I love the actual "work". However, management is horrible there. They don't know what they are doing. Your hours are completely based off of favoritism. It's not at all professional and I personally don't find a lot of things that happen and also comments that are said by management at all appropriate!
Pros
Free clothes, A nice discount.
Cons
You have to wear their clothes, horrible management, getting constant threatened to be release if you miss just once their ridiculous "sales goal".
Relaxed environment & great energy from all members of the store team.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 26, 2016
Taking on my store management role at American Apparel was an amazing experience though it lacked the support & structure I felt necessary to truly impact my career development.
Pros
Allowed all employees to be themselves.
Cons
Lacked structure and fair employment.
Positive Sales Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Working at American Apparel taught me a great deal about customer service and team work. The management was generally good. It was easy to get along with most of my co-workers despite the competitive sales environment. The hardest pat of the job was reaching the designated sales goals.The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the different types clientele.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours.
Good place with bad aspects
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Fun place to work if you make friends with employees, but customers that shop at AA are rude with attitude and trash the fitting rooms- giving you alottt of work, and management is very rude and has attitude. My assistant manager is extremely sassy and doesn't give you the time of day- including assistance, same goes for other employees. Could be just my place but even district manager is pretty unprofessional. You never feel secure at the job, always too much pressure to SELL.
Pros
discounts, fun environment, commission
Cons
bad management, too much pressure to meet high sales, rude customers
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 3, 2016
They fire you if you do not make enough sales, if your KPI is low, they will fire you, management talk behind your back, they are very two-faced, there's a lot of drama and tension between a lot of employees/employers, I met some really nice people though.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pressure to sell a lot
Fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
It was a fun environment. Head office allowed people to use their own talents and interests to grow within the company. A lot of freedom was also provided.
Bad workplace bad staff bad management.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 5, 2015
A miserable place to work. Nobody has any skills, and i was let go because my manager wanted to hire a girl he had a crush on.

The only saving grace was a few friends i made at work.

Otherwise a miserable experience all together.
Pros
the be and end of my job at aa
it support analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 18, 2015
We had long hours and worked very hard it was a great learning experience for me but i was laid off due to to company filing for chapter 11
very fun workplace
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 23, 2015
• Customer service, stocking items, dealing with inventory
its a fun place to work, the employs are great, you get good hours and good pay
Pros
disconts
work hard
General worker (Former Employee) –  montrealOctober 18, 2015
typical day at work is busy. packing and shipping all the clothes to different malls. i have learned that working hard will pay you at the end.
Lovely workplace and friendly fellow co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  108 Osborne Winnipeg MBApril 20, 2015
I have started working at American Apparel 2012, i was in gr. 11 when i first started working there for my very first summer job. I really felt welcome, training was as easy as 1-2-3 and being a sales associate really improved my communication skills.
Pros
free work clothes each season for our uniform
Cons
hard parking in our area
Good for part time while in school
Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2015
very flexible hours and ideal to work part time while in school. Management doesnt care about the employees, probably due to the high turn over rate.
Productive, creative, and fun workplace with great aesthetic appeal.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2014
Working with this company was highly enjoyable. I performed multiple tasks at once and was always very busy. The best part of my job was helping people find a perfect outfit for something and talking to customers. The hardest part of my job was probably the 8-hour shifts as they could be tiring. I got on very well with managers and my co-workers and we built a strong professional bond. I learnt so much about retail and every day I learnt something new. However very stressful and manager was quite sassy.
productive and fun people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2014
A typical day at work required customer service tasks for example socializing with customers, helping them find what they are looking for, cashier, etc... The hardest part of this job was conducting an inventory on the entire store every Sunday, after closing time, which was a tedious, slow and very long process.My co-workers were fun to work with, respectful and enjoyable. the best part of this job was interacting with people from the outside (i.e. customers). Management at the time, was not organized at all, we ran into some problems in terms of scheduling and payment.
A fun and productive place to work at
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2013
Typical day at work would be, managing about 20-30 personnel. Ensuring that sale quotas are being met daily, weekly an monthly, as they are extremely important for the company to strive. I learned that being a store manager is no easy job, it takes time, dedication, and understanding of a business perspective. My co-workers were very important to me because they were my team, they were part of the reason why my store strived from 5% to 8% to YTD sales. My hardest part of my job, was letting people go who I had grown fond of. The most enjoyable part of my job, was knowing that my team was like my second family and we treated each other with respect and honestly.
Pros
free clothes incentives
Cons
learn as you go
Great job- just no hours.
Stock Employee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2013
American Apparel is an incredible company that does so much good work in the world with sweatshop free work! The group of people they higher has to be one of the best groups of people to work with. The biggest downside is the lack of hours and the difference between full time and part time. I wish this job was more secure but it is not and truly defines the term part time. I need more if I want to live and have a stable life in this economy .
Pros
amazing group of workers and management
Cons
not enough hours
Not the best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 19, 2014
It was a very unpleasent experience. Since it was a warehouse sale everything was unorganized and hectic. Most of the time you just had to pretend to look busy since there really wasn't anything to do. I really wasn't even given any training, even on the first day they just told me to go out on the sales floor and nothing else.
Cons
long hours, no break room, unorganized management, no discount
Fun but at times a stressfull setting but mean while learning essential things/skills for the fashion industry
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMarch 19, 2012
American Apparel is a great growing company. Providing their customers and employers with mature service. They offer perfect fitting products that everyone always seems to love.
Pros
50% off, great coworkers, awesome clothing, unique customers
Cons
long hours, low traffic, over scheduling
Poor management, ineffective training, unprofessional
Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2013
I worked here for around 6 months, I enjoyed my co-workers and generally speaking they were helpful and team oriented. But at times would redirect blame onto anyone they could instead of taking the responsibility. In the stock environment, prepared to not to be trained fully and to have people expect you to do things out of your training level. As far as management on a district level, at times they can be helpful to problems, but generally expect far too much and will not take responsibility for their actions. The CEO actively threatens store managers over the phone, most managers are over worked and under paid. It was a good experience for what I don't want in a work environment.
Pros
friendly co-workers, can be team oriented
Cons
long hours, under paid, poor management, toxic environment
Great, fun place to work with a strong focus on sales and customer service
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 31, 2012
Working on the sales floor at American Apparel has a strong focus on building relationships with customers and coworkers. Sales are a vital part of every day and tracked hourly. I've always worked with great people and enjoy the atmosphere at American Apparel.
Pros
sales bonuses
Cons
late hours

2.9