American Apparel Employee Reviews in Canada

Positive Sales Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Working at American Apparel taught me a great deal about customer service and team work. The management was generally good. It was easy to get along with most of my co-workers despite the competitive sales environment. The hardest pat of the job was reaching the designated sales goals.The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the different types clientele.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours.
Enjoyable co-workers, and an enhancement in my knowledge of the fashion business
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 17, 2016
A typical work day at American Apparel consisted of receiving shipments, checking inventory, and ensuring that the product on the floor was properly displayed.

I learned how to properly order and maintain an inventory so that product does not run out and frustrate customers.

Management was inconsistent, with the managers consistently changing.

Thoroughly enjoyed the co-workers as they became like a family.

The most difficult part of this job was the uncertainty of how long a manager would stay, and how to cooperate with the new manager.

Finally, the part I enjoyed most about this job was the community that was built amongst the co-workers.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers, consistent schedule
Cons
Rapid change of management
Good place with bad aspects
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Fun place to work if you make friends with employees, but customers that shop at AA are rude with attitude and trash the fitting rooms- giving you alottt of work, and management is very rude and has attitude. My assistant manager is extremely sassy and doesn't give you the time of day- including assistance, same goes for other employees. Could be just my place but even district manager is pretty unprofessional. You never feel secure at the job, always too much pressure to SELL.
Pros
discounts, fun environment, commission
Cons
bad management, too much pressure to meet high sales, rude customers
Horrible management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCJune 10, 2016
I was disappointed because working in retail is something that I love. I am a fan of the store and I love the actual "work". However, management is horrible there. They don't know what they are doing. Your hours are completely based off of favoritism. It's not at all professional and I personally don't find a lot of things that happen and also comments that are said by management at all appropriate!
Pros
Free clothes, A nice discount.
Cons
You have to wear their clothes, horrible management, getting constant threatened to be release if you miss just once their ridiculous "sales goal".
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 3, 2016
They fire you if you do not make enough sales, if your KPI is low, they will fire you, management talk behind your back, they are very two-faced, there's a lot of drama and tension between a lot of employees/employers, I met some really nice people though.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pressure to sell a lot
A great place to work for the fashionista!
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 20, 2016
Working in the accounting department I got to see a lot of the clothing that the Customer Service Department that were coming out in the following seasons. That brought hope that things that were getting better.
Pros
Gift cards to shop at the American Apparel stores
Relaxed environment & great energy from all members of the store team.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 26, 2016
Taking on my store management role at American Apparel was an amazing experience though it lacked the support & structure I felt necessary to truly impact my career development.
Pros
Allowed all employees to be themselves.
Cons
Lacked structure and fair employment.
Fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
It was a fun environment. Head office allowed people to use their own talents and interests to grow within the company. A lot of freedom was also provided.
the be and end of my job at aa
it support analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 18, 2015
We had long hours and worked very hard it was a great learning experience for me but i was laid off due to to company filing for chapter 11
very fun workplace
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 23, 2015
• Customer service, stocking items, dealing with inventory
its a fun place to work, the employs are great, you get good hours and good pay
Pros
disconts
Cons
Wonderful company with great staff
Floor Supervisor, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2014
I was really excited when I was first hired at American Apparel, as I always loved shopping there. I was hired as a cashier because of past experience and quickly moved up to cash supervisor within weeks. I overlooked all cashiers and assisted in returns and refunds. I was then moved up to floor supervisor and was in charge of delegating tasks throughout the store and making sure all employees were always busy. I handled the break schedule and I also made sure everyone was on task, I was to report everything to my manager at the end of the night. Though it was difficult at first for me to tell people what to do, I realized that it was just apart of the job and in order to move up, you have to step up. My co-workers had different reactions to my promotion, but after a while they understood that it was just part of the job.
Pros
discounts & free clothing sometimes
Cons
cliquey management
Poor management, ineffective training, unprofessional
Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2013
I worked here for around 6 months, I enjoyed my co-workers and generally speaking they were helpful and team oriented. But at times would redirect blame onto anyone they could instead of taking the responsibility. In the stock environment, prepared to not to be trained fully and to have people expect you to do things out of your training level. As far as management on a district level, at times they can be helpful to problems, but generally expect far too much and will not take responsibility for their actions. The CEO actively threatens store managers over the phone, most managers are over worked and under paid. It was a good experience for what I don't want in a work environment.
Pros
friendly co-workers, can be team oriented
Cons
long hours, under paid, poor management, toxic environment
A fun, safe and cultured workplace.
Sales Associate & Cashier (Current Employee) –  338 Yonge StreetJune 1, 2013
- A typical day working at American Apparel includes helping customers find requested merchandise, sizing and putting away clothes on the sales floor, making sure sales floor is clean and presentable and making sales goals. I am also a cashier at American Apparel, I cash out customers purchases, tell them about promotions we currently have and let them know if items are final sale.

- I've learned how to interact with all types of customers and how to handle difficult situations while at work.

- My management and co-workers are very friendly and inviting. We work as a team to make store goal and to ensure customers find requested merchandise quickly.

- The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a customer satisfied with their purchase and knowing that the store has made goal.
Pros
employee star package, discounts, friendly staff and management.
Bad workplace bad staff bad management.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 5, 2015
A miserable place to work. Nobody has any skills, and i was let go because my manager wanted to hire a girl he had a crush on.

The only saving grace was a few friends i made at work.

Otherwise a miserable experience all together.
Pros
Good for part time while in school
Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2015
very flexible hours and ideal to work part time while in school. Management doesnt care about the employees, probably due to the high turn over rate.
Trendy and too young
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 1, 2012
Management is nearly non existent. Probably because my manager was a just a teenager and she was more or less concerned with becoming friends with the employees. Staff would waltz in thirty minutes late and it would not be a big deal. There were no recourse set up for incompetent, disobedient employees.The staff would be mostly comprised of high school students and post secondary students, so they were fun to be around but they were also not mature enough to uphold duties. American Apparel has a fairly scandalous corporate culture, which made it hard for more educated (post secondary) employees to take the brand seriously. Upper management would all be early twenties girls and guys, using a condescending tone to get the sales staff to shamelessly upsell to customers and to fully embrace the "nouveau chic" look. For the most part, this was only enforced if we knew upper management will be popping by, otherwise we would revert to our old ways. On to the things I liked about being there was the autonomy, discount, fun co-workers. What I didn't like was inexperienced management and lack of professionalism
Pros
no formal uniform, autonomy, discount
Cons
lack of leadership, no professionalism
Not the best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 19, 2014
It was a very unpleasent experience. Since it was a warehouse sale everything was unorganized and hectic. Most of the time you just had to pretend to look busy since there really wasn't anything to do. I really wasn't even given any training, even on the first day they just told me to go out on the sales floor and nothing else.
Cons
long hours, no break room, unorganized management, no discount
work hard
General worker (Former Employee) –  montrealOctober 18, 2015
typical day at work is busy. packing and shipping all the clothes to different malls. i have learned that working hard will pay you at the end.
Learning experience
Visual Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 7, 2013
A typical day at work at American Apparel for myself as a sales associate goes as follows :
- Clock In
- Greet customers, tell them about the promotions at the time and continue on with helping them find a garment and leading them to the change room and following through with the sale.
- Go to the task list sheet
- Complete tasks
- Clean during down time ( if there was any )
- If other were busy helping customers out then I would immediately go and do cash.

As a Visual Merchandiser:
- Clock In
- Check weekly task list and complete every task set for day one of the beginning of the week.
- Help customers out when I could.
- Send management and the Visual Merchandising team in Canada pictures of the tasks completed and I would fill in my daily log.

What I learned at my time in American Apparel is that time is everything and you always have to be on your toes and on top of the game and it's always a competition.

My co-workers are the best people I've met! They're friendly, amazing at their job and we always got along.

The hardest part of the job would be when I would try everything I could think of to up sale and we still didn't meet budget.

The most enjoyable thing about my job as a sales associate was that it wasn't as stressful as it was being a merchandiser and I had plenty of time to actually interact more with customers.
Pros
discount, co workers
productive and fun people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 13, 2014
A typical day at work required customer service tasks for example socializing with customers, helping them find what they are looking for, cashier, etc... The hardest part of this job was conducting an inventory on the entire store every Sunday, after closing time, which was a tedious, slow and very long process.My co-workers were fun to work with, respectful and enjoyable. the best part of this job was interacting with people from the outside (i.e. customers). Management at the time, was not organized at all, we ran into some problems in terms of scheduling and payment.

2.9