American Apparel Employee Reviews

Lots of work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC7 March 2017
A lot of work thank god for the people around me it made it a lot better but teena are the worst the pay was decent and some rules sucked like no color in your hair no tattoos visible or earing
Pros
Lunchs
Cons
Pay
Bye
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada18 February 2017
There is no real point of writing a review due to American Apparels unfortunate closing. It was fun while it lasted and was a very unique store to both shop and work at.
Pros
discount
Cons
it closed...
fun workplace
Retail Warehouse Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
i learned and gain a lot of experienced,management are okay,friendly co-workers,give raise every year.they gave jobs on what job description is.
Pros
free lunches every summer
Productive and amusing work place
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC31 January 2017
From my first shift to my last I always had a great time while working at American Apparel. Although I was only there 2 months, it was a pleasure. The company unfortunately filed for bankruptcy and had to close its doors at my location at the end of December. It definitely sucks that I didn't get to enjoy the experience as much as I would've liked to but its okay. The time i spent there was great. Great coworkers, managers and customers!
Pros
Fun environment
Good people, bad customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2016
American Apparel is known for its prestige image. The team at West Edmonton Mall was very helpful and was always willing to lend some support. The customers were very picky and particular, which made it stressful sometimes but it made the bonds between coworkers stronger.
It's a very friendly space, with lovely co-workers.
Sales representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 September 2016
I really enjoy working at American Apparel. It has thought me the value of marketing with communication. I am very confident in the value of its product.
Pros
free clothing
Cons
not too busy at times
interesting work place
Cashier, sales associate (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC18 August 2016
American Apparel is a fun place to work. There is a bit of stress associated with the job because of commission but if you are a confident seller there is usually nothing to worry about.
Pros
prizes for good selling
Cons
management can be a bit disorganized
Enjoyable co-workers, and an enhancement in my knowledge of the fashion business
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 August 2016
A typical work day at American Apparel consisted of receiving shipments, checking inventory, and ensuring that the product on the floor was properly displayed.

I learned how to properly order and maintain an inventory so that product does not run out and frustrate customers.

Management was inconsistent, with the managers consistently changing.

Thoroughly enjoyed the co-workers as they became like a family.

The most difficult part of this job was the uncertainty of how long a manager would stay, and how to cooperate with the new manager.

Finally, the part I enjoyed most about this job was the community that was built amongst the co-workers.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers, consistent schedule
Cons
Rapid change of management
A great place to work for the fashionista!
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 June 2016
Working in the accounting department I got to see a lot of the clothing that the Customer Service Department that were coming out in the following seasons. That brought hope that things that were getting better.
Pros
Gift cards to shop at the American Apparel stores
Horrible management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC10 June 2016
I was disappointed because working in retail is something that I love. I am a fan of the store and I love the actual "work". However, management is horrible there. They don't know what they are doing. Your hours are completely based off of favoritism. It's not at all professional and I personally don't find a lot of things that happen and also comments that are said by management at all appropriate!
Pros
Free clothes, A nice discount.
Cons
You have to wear their clothes, horrible management, getting constant threatened to be release if you miss just once their ridiculous "sales goal".
Relaxed environment & great energy from all members of the store team.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 May 2016
Taking on my store management role at American Apparel was an amazing experience though it lacked the support & structure I felt necessary to truly impact my career development.
Pros
Allowed all employees to be themselves.
Cons
Lacked structure and fair employment.
Fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
It was a fun environment. Head office allowed people to use their own talents and interests to grow within the company. A lot of freedom was also provided.
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2016
They fire you if you do not make enough sales, if your KPI is low, they will fire you, management talk behind your back, they are very two-faced, there's a lot of drama and tension between a lot of employees/employers, I met some really nice people though.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pressure to sell a lot
Positive Sales Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2016
Working at American Apparel taught me a great deal about customer service and team work. The management was generally good. It was easy to get along with most of my co-workers despite the competitive sales environment. The hardest pat of the job was reaching the designated sales goals.The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the different types clientele.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours.
Good place with bad aspects
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ON20 January 2016
Fun place to work if you make friends with employees, but customers that shop at AA are rude with attitude and trash the fitting rooms- giving you alottt of work, and management is very rude and has attitude. My assistant manager is extremely sassy and doesn't give you the time of day- including assistance, same goes for other employees. Could be just my place but even district manager is pretty unprofessional. You never feel secure at the job, always too much pressure to SELL.
Pros
discounts, fun environment, commission
Cons
bad management, too much pressure to meet high sales, rude customers
the be and end of my job at aa
it support analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 November 2015
We had long hours and worked very hard it was a great learning experience for me but i was laid off due to to company filing for chapter 11
Bad workplace bad staff bad management.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON5 November 2015
A miserable place to work. Nobody has any skills, and i was let go because my manager wanted to hire a girl he had a crush on.

The only saving grace was a few friends i made at work.

Otherwise a miserable experience all together.
very fun workplace
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 October 2015
• Customer service, stocking items, dealing with inventory
its a fun place to work, the employs are great, you get good hours and good pay
Pros
disconts
work hard
General worker (Former Employee) –  montreal18 October 2015
typical day at work is busy. packing and shipping all the clothes to different malls. i have learned that working hard will pay you at the end.
Good for part time while in school
Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2015
very flexible hours and ideal to work part time while in school. Management doesnt care about the employees, probably due to the high turn over rate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Apparel. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval