American Apparel Employee Reviews

It's a very friendly space, with lovely co-workers.
Sales representative (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 16, 2016
I really enjoy working at American Apparel. It has thought me the value of marketing with communication. I am very confident in the value of its product.
Pros
free clothing
Cons
not too busy at times
Enjoyable co-workers, and an enhancement in my knowledge of the fashion business
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 17, 2016
A typical work day at American Apparel consisted of receiving shipments, checking inventory, and ensuring that the product on the floor was properly displayed.

I learned how to properly order and maintain an inventory so that product does not run out and frustrate customers.

Management was inconsistent, with the managers consistently changing.

Thoroughly enjoyed the co-workers as they became like a family.

The most difficult part of this job was the uncertainty of how long a manager would stay, and how to cooperate with the new manager.

Finally, the part I enjoyed most about this job was the community that was built amongst the co-workers.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers, consistent schedule
Cons
Rapid change of management
A great place to work for the fashionista!
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 20, 2016
Working in the accounting department I got to see a lot of the clothing that the Customer Service Department that were coming out in the following seasons. That brought hope that things that were getting better.
Pros
Gift cards to shop at the American Apparel stores
Horrible management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QCJune 10, 2016
I was disappointed because working in retail is something that I love. I am a fan of the store and I love the actual "work". However, management is horrible there. They don't know what they are doing. Your hours are completely based off of favoritism. It's not at all professional and I personally don't find a lot of things that happen and also comments that are said by management at all appropriate!
Pros
Free clothes, A nice discount.
Cons
You have to wear their clothes, horrible management, getting constant threatened to be release if you miss just once their ridiculous "sales goal".
Relaxed environment & great energy from all members of the store team.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 26, 2016
Taking on my store management role at American Apparel was an amazing experience though it lacked the support & structure I felt necessary to truly impact my career development.
Pros
Allowed all employees to be themselves.
Cons
Lacked structure and fair employment.
Fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
It was a fun environment. Head office allowed people to use their own talents and interests to grow within the company. A lot of freedom was also provided.
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 3, 2016
They fire you if you do not make enough sales, if your KPI is low, they will fire you, management talk behind your back, they are very two-faced, there's a lot of drama and tension between a lot of employees/employers, I met some really nice people though.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pressure to sell a lot
Positive Sales Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Working at American Apparel taught me a great deal about customer service and team work. The management was generally good. It was easy to get along with most of my co-workers despite the competitive sales environment. The hardest pat of the job was reaching the designated sales goals.The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the different types clientele.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours.
Good place with bad aspects
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Fun place to work if you make friends with employees, but customers that shop at AA are rude with attitude and trash the fitting rooms- giving you alottt of work, and management is very rude and has attitude. My assistant manager is extremely sassy and doesn't give you the time of day- including assistance, same goes for other employees. Could be just my place but even district manager is pretty unprofessional. You never feel secure at the job, always too much pressure to SELL.
Pros
discounts, fun environment, commission
Cons
bad management, too much pressure to meet high sales, rude customers
the be and end of my job at aa
it support analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 18, 2015
We had long hours and worked very hard it was a great learning experience for me but i was laid off due to to company filing for chapter 11
Bad workplace bad staff bad management.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONNovember 5, 2015
A miserable place to work. Nobody has any skills, and i was let go because my manager wanted to hire a girl he had a crush on.

The only saving grace was a few friends i made at work.

Otherwise a miserable experience all together.
very fun workplace
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONOctober 23, 2015
• Customer service, stocking items, dealing with inventory
its a fun place to work, the employs are great, you get good hours and good pay
Pros
disconts
work hard
General worker (Former Employee) –  montrealOctober 18, 2015
typical day at work is busy. packing and shipping all the clothes to different malls. i have learned that working hard will pay you at the end.
Good for part time while in school
Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2015
very flexible hours and ideal to work part time while in school. Management doesnt care about the employees, probably due to the high turn over rate.
Lovely workplace and friendly fellow co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  108 Osborne Winnipeg MBApril 20, 2015
I have started working at American Apparel 2012, i was in gr. 11 when i first started working there for my very first summer job. I really felt welcome, training was as easy as 1-2-3 and being a sales associate really improved my communication skills.
Pros
free work clothes each season for our uniform
Cons
hard parking in our area
Wonderful company with great staff
Floor Supervisor, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2014
I was really excited when I was first hired at American Apparel, as I always loved shopping there. I was hired as a cashier because of past experience and quickly moved up to cash supervisor within weeks. I overlooked all cashiers and assisted in returns and refunds. I was then moved up to floor supervisor and was in charge of delegating tasks throughout the store and making sure all employees were always busy. I handled the break schedule and I also made sure everyone was on task, I was to report everything to my manager at the end of the night. Though it was difficult at first for me to tell people what to do, I realized that it was just apart of the job and in order to move up, you have to step up. My co-workers had different reactions to my promotion, but after a while they understood that it was just part of the job.
Pros
discounts & free clothing sometimes
Cons
cliquey management
Productive, creative, and fun workplace with great aesthetic appeal.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2014
Working with this company was highly enjoyable. I performed multiple tasks at once and was always very busy. The best part of my job was helping people find a perfect outfit for something and talking to customers. The hardest part of my job was probably the 8-hour shifts as they could be tiring. I got on very well with managers and my co-workers and we built a strong professional bond. I learnt so much about retail and every day I learnt something new. However very stressful and manager was quite sassy.
I enjoyed my position
Shipper (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 2, 2014
There are many different positions to this job, though I was a shipper and I enjoyed my day to day routine. I would send packages via courriers and deal with a lot of emails. the day would pass by quick.
Pros
free lunch every wednesday
Great atmosphere
Stock Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  MontrealMay 26, 2014
Very young and dynamic work place. The managers were very friendly and helpful. Great place to work at if you have little to no experience in retail.
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
minimum wage
Sales Associate - American Apparel
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2014
Coming in as the youngest person in a company, I was first seen by not being able to do everything they can. I have definitely learned a lot and proved them wrong in the right way. It was a great crew to work with and I've gained a lot of customer service experience as well as styling experience.