AMEC

AMEC Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Close group of people, almost Family
Document Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 24, 2014
Pros: great people, great safety program, they care about the people
Cons: project life the end is innevitable
I have enjoyed working here, the people are great very open and friendly, by far one of the better companies I have worked for. Management is at the same level as the employees, so one acts or is seen to be superior. Their doors are open at all times and there is an ease in communicating with them.
The DMG group worked collaboratively together, we were – more... an effective team and also were able to come together and have some fun, potlucks and birthday celebrations. – less
The work was very satisfying, and the company appreciated the output
Utilities construction lead (Former Employee), Calgary, Oakville, Kearl siteJune 16, 2014
Pros: as contractor, were part of the group and participated in co. functions
A typical day
Attend safety & warmup sessions
Review any urgent e-mai
walk site to see the activities on-going & see the compliance to schedule
Attend meetings construction review
Attend review of engineeriing status
Monitor site activity to approve execution
All activities that did not progress were a concern
All activities that progressed well gave – more... satisfaction
Staff are in general very good to get along – less
productive
Civil Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 14, 2014
good management, friendly atmosphere and working culture. working hours are 9 hrs per day.
Motivating and enjoyable work culture
Process Student Intern (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 10, 2014
Pros: designated days off, strong safey culture
During my internships at AMEC a reputable EPC company, as expected, I gained quality experiences and met many intellectual professionals that expanded both my technical and non-technical skills. During each task assigned I took the initiative to learn new concepts to successfully complete them.
Provides career growth opportunities in a friendly multicultural environment.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2014
AMEC management provides a lot of learning opportunities as well as career growth options to its employees. The management actively engages the employees and acts on good suggestions.

The working culture is friendly and co-operative. The multicultural atmosphere is very welcoming to all. Most co-workers are very efficient, hard-working and effective.
Valuable work experience
Junior technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 28, 2014
Pros: learn lots tests. know lots people. gain lots experiences
Typical day: Usually started at 7 am in the morning. The first thing to do is to finish up the tests for yesterday ( need to dry in the oven etc). Then performed the new tests that were request.

The co-works are really nice. We help each other at work, and we build a good relationship.
Very Busy Face Past Atmosphere
Lead Project Planner (Current Employee), St. John's, NLApril 14, 2014
It has been an amazing challenge working at AMEC. I have learned a lot of new things that i will be able to bring with me to any other job and task I take on.
Working in this company was a great opportunity.
Document Management Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2014
Pros: lunch with a group of employees is fun.
Cons: staying for a while in the office for fellowship with co-workers
Working to this company is a great privilege, the most prestigious company ever.
Excellen client relations
Assistant Construction Manager (Former Employee), Esterazy SaskatchewanFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: excellent cmt able to field engineer to promote progress
Cons: engineering unable to keep pace with job progress
Working with Mossaic Construction Management team proved to be very rewarding once we gained their trust. We as a CMT were able to make quick evaluations an decisions that were very quickly validated and approved by client which helped to promote completion of project well ahead of time and well under budget. No Contingency used on this project.
Not a place to really make money. Made me go back to school to further myself
Environmental Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: work in different divisions
Cons: lack of work, no projects were bid on
My tenure there was not a great experience. I was left to my own devices on how to work and what my duties were, which was the opposite of what I was told when I was interviewed. Management was not very involved on what people in my division were doing and created a negative work culture. Good thing was that it introduced to the safety side of work – more... and made me go back to school for Occupational Health and Safety – less
Good for experience, managers need to improve culture
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee), North AmericaJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: lots of experience in different fields
Cons: management not accountable
My initial perception of AMEC was poor, in that when I had agreed to a particular salary during the interview, the recruiter/manager attempted to decrease it substantially upon being offered the job (this was a very distasteful way of treating prospective employees).

In general my experience was that managers attempted to take credit for ideas of their – more... employees, or find ways to sideline employees so as to not promote them. Also, management was generally unaccountable for employee mentoring -- for example, management could not understand why it would take some time for employees on the learning curve to complete projects, but would not actually be willing to help to complete tasks or provide guidance. Managers were happy to sign off on quality reports upon completion, however. Communication amongst egotistical personalities often made work difficult. Office manager was purely administrative, had poor people skills and did not add much value to the company. AMEC would at times bully its clients and contractors, and sometimes lay-off well qualified employees for unknown reasons.

Retirement plan was relatively flexible (major bank managed retirement fund and were active in guiding employees) and employer matching began from first day on the job. Annual employee bonus was lacking. Benefits fairly average for the industry. Annual raises miniscule; so more effective to leave for another company for raise, although this is typical of the industry.

Co-workers were reasonable in terms of number of hours worked. Generally were not too pushy about utilization. Also I was able to get good experience in different fields of work and interact with clients, who were often more appreciative of my work than co-workers or management! – less
A lot of Lacking of Management, Nepotism
Ex-employee Sr. Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2013
Pros: some friendly colleagues
Cons: poor management
Not really stable company to work for. Heavy environment, a lot of politics, …nepotism.
The project manager and his wife (who is his assistant) travel back and forth to South America for their convenience at company’s expenses. Some designers have a lot of power to influence managers, even though they are rude, conflicting, and unprofessional. A lot – more... of layoffs. Managers yelling to employees in front of everybody, … unprofessional behavior. Crisis within the electrical department in Calgary. – less
Excellent workplace with opportunities to learn.
Document Control (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2013
Although this was only a summer student job, I enjoyed working there and was able to experience working in a large firm such as AMEC. It was also an opportunity to meet people for networking purposes and to learn various procedures.
Great company to work for
Camp/Travel Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 5, 2013
AMEC is a great company to work for. I have learned alot in my past year as an employee.
Not much to keep an employee there
Intermediate Electrical Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 5, 2013
AMEC is a big company with big company policy and procedures.
Fun and engaging
Project Consultant (Engineer) (Former Employee), Cambridge, OnAugust 28, 2013
AMEC offers a fun and engaging environment with an excellent balance of office culture and growth opportunities.
Great People.
Weigh Scale Officer (Former Employee), Red Earth Creek, ABJuly 24, 2013
6am to 8pm. The some days were short and some days it felt like the day wouldn't end,
My project manager and supervisor were two great people to work with.
Worked for AMEC power and Process Not E and E
Architectural and structural technician (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJuly 23, 2013
Big engineering consulting company
Kearl Oil Sands Project, Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJuly 2, 2013
AMEC was my first employer in Canada; the most important think that I learned was the way to do oil and gas projects in Canada
Overall assessment, my job @ amec was very challenging but with my skill and expertise I could finish the project on time and less budget.
Electrical & Control Designer / Drafter (Current Employee), 111 Dunsmuir Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2013
Pros: we are entitled to have a free foods every friday morning at 10am
Cons: sometimes multiple project to finish at the same time.
I'm very much enjoying my day at AMEC because my colleague were very supportive specially to my projects. I learned a lot from their experiences and how to handle stress situation effectively. The hardest part of my job was when the software I'm using got crushed and takes time to put in normal condition.

1 2 3 4 5

About AMEC

AMEC is a focused supplier of high-value consultancy, engineering and project management services to the world’s oil and – Read more