AMEC

AMEC Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working in this company was a great opportunity.
Document Management Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2014
Pros: lunch with a group of employees is fun.
Cons: staying for a while in the office for fellowship with co-workers
Working to this company is a great privilege, the most prestigious company ever.
Excellen client relations
Assistant Construction Manager (Former Employee), Esterazy SaskatchewanFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: excellent cmt able to field engineer to promote progress
Cons: engineering unable to keep pace with job progress
Working with Mossaic Construction Management team proved to be very rewarding once we gained their trust. We as a CMT were able to make quick evaluations an decisions that were very quickly validated and approved by client which helped to promote completion of project well ahead of time and well under budget. No Contingency used on this project.
Not a place to really make money. Made me go back to school to further myself
Environmental Technician (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: work in different divisions
Cons: lack of work, no projects were bid on
My tenure there was not a great experience. I was left to my own devices on how to work and what my duties were, which was the opposite of what I was told when I was interviewed. Management was not very involved on what people in my division were doing and created a negative work culture. Good thing was that it introduced to the safety side of work – more... and made me go back to school for Occupational Health and Safety – less
Good for experience, managers need to improve culture
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee), North AmericaJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: lots of experience in different fields
Cons: management not accountable
My initial perception of AMEC was poor, in that when I had agreed to a particular salary during the interview, the recruiter/manager attempted to decrease it substantially upon being offered the job (this was a very distasteful way of treating prospective employees).

In general my experience was that managers attempted to take credit for ideas of their – more... employees, or find ways to sideline employees so as to not promote them. Also, management was generally unaccountable for employee mentoring -- for example, management could not understand why it would take some time for employees on the learning curve to complete projects, but would not actually be willing to help to complete tasks or provide guidance. Managers were happy to sign off on quality reports upon completion, however. Communication amongst egotistical personalities often made work difficult. Office manager was purely administrative, had poor people skills and did not add much value to the company. AMEC would at times bully its clients and contractors, and sometimes lay-off well qualified employees for unknown reasons.

Retirement plan was relatively flexible (major bank managed retirement fund and were active in guiding employees) and employer matching began from first day on the job. Annual employee bonus was lacking. Benefits fairly average for the industry. Annual raises miniscule; so more effective to leave for another company for raise, although this is typical of the industry.

Co-workers were reasonable in terms of number of hours worked. Generally were not too pushy about utilization. Also I was able to get good experience in different fields of work and interact with clients, who were often more appreciative of my work than co-workers or management! – less
A lot of Lacking of Management, Nepotism
Ex-employee Sr. Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2013
Pros: some friendly colleagues
Cons: poor management
Not really stable company to work for. Heavy environment, a lot of politics, …nepotism.
The project manager and his wife (who is his assistant) travel back and forth to South America for their convenience at company’s expenses. Some designers have a lot of power to influence managers, even though they are rude, conflicting, and unprofessional. A lot – more... of layoffs. Managers yelling to employees in front of everybody, … unprofessional behavior. Crisis within the electrical department in Calgary. – less
Great opportunity to work on a large interesting, fascinating project
Mechanical Engineer, EIT Various Projects Support (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2013
- Great opportunity to work on a large scale projects
- Average compensation
- Designation Day Offs are good
- Little or no knowledge pass downs
- Weak mentor system or policy
- No lunch room
Excellent workplace with opportunities to learn.
Document Control (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2013
Although this was only a summer student job, I enjoyed working there and was able to experience working in a large firm such as AMEC. It was also an opportunity to meet people for networking purposes and to learn various procedures.
Great company to work for
Camp/Travel Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABSeptember 5, 2013
AMEC is a great company to work for. I have learned alot in my past year as an employee.
Not much to keep an employee there
Intermediate Electrical Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 5, 2013
AMEC is a big company with big company policy and procedures.
Fun and engaging
Project Consultant (Engineer) (Former Employee), Cambridge, OnAugust 28, 2013
AMEC offers a fun and engaging environment with an excellent balance of office culture and growth opportunities.
Great People.
Weigh Scale Officer (Former Employee), Red Earth Creek, ABJuly 24, 2013
6am to 8pm. The some days were short and some days it felt like the day wouldn't end,
My project manager and supervisor were two great people to work with.
Worked for AMEC power and Process Not E and E
Architectural and structural technician (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJuly 23, 2013
Big engineering consulting company
Kearl Oil Sands Project, Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJuly 2, 2013
AMEC was my first employer in Canada; the most important think that I learned was the way to do oil and gas projects in Canada
Overall assessment, my job @ amec was very challenging but with my skill and expertise I could finish the project on time and less budget.
Electrical & Control Designer / Drafter (Current Employee), 111 Dunsmuir Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2013
Pros: we are entitled to have a free foods every friday morning at 10am
Cons: sometimes multiple project to finish at the same time.
I'm very much enjoying my day at AMEC because my colleague were very supportive specially to my projects. I learned a lot from their experiences and how to handle stress situation effectively. The hardest part of my job was when the software I'm using got crushed and takes time to put in normal condition.
Fast workplace with long hours.
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 17, 2013
Hardest part of the job is meet deadline wile kipping coordination with other departments.
Sweatshop
N/a (Current Employee), CalgaryMarch 5, 2013
Long hours and unrealistic expectations. Hard to have a life outside of work
good
Electrical Specialist /DB Project (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 4, 2013
good company with lots of opportunities
I enjoy working for this company, also I am looking for new challenges
A good place to work. Good focus on employees.
Environment & Infrastructure, Associate Consultant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: office is close to my home and commute is short
Cons: hours and expectations (perhaps some of my own) are long!
I am involved in the PM duties of three projects (two government clients and one private sector) in Calgary that include my technical and management skills in assisting with the preparation of regulatory applications and project related scoping studies.

I also share/coordinate PM duties for three EA applications for AMEC clients in BC. Duties are shared – more... with AMEC staff in our BC offices. My role is as a mentor and facilitator to assist as well in communications with the client and helping staff to understand project scope and focus on baseline and assessment duties.
My typical day starts early and is constant communications and management of personnel and project tasks including a lot of work I do as well. Hardest part of the job is balancing priorities and keeping staff on track and focused on schedules and budgets.

Hardest part of the job is keeping up to the many demands, balancing all the meetings and still getting work completed!

Enjoyable part is being able to get some of my own tasks completed. – less
Amec is one of best place to work with lot of opportunities to be advanced and contiuous learning
Pipe Stress Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2013
-Amec takes care of employee well being
-conerned about employee safety
-value euity of employees

– February 8, 2013

Previous contractor in Calgary. Some people are nice, but the electrical department is not the best area to work for in Calgary. Management is lacking of a lot management skills. Very often you can see Leads yelling and raising voice to others, very unprofessional ... in front of other people. There is not career development there, even thought they promised you a lot of expectations, blah, blah.... No honesty either. Some managers show a great smile to you, but behind ... they are hypocrites...In general, the company is great, but some managers are not giving the big reputation to the company. Wondered why a lot of people is leaving this department? Great and Good people are leaving, others are laying off. A lot of lays off... Sorry for the nice people there... but because of these mean managers, leads. Be a political person if your want to keep your job there, smile to your bosses, laugh of their jokes...

helping happy work environment
Structural Designer (Former Employee), calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2013
Its great experience working with Amec. Learnt so much from my seniors.

1 2 3 4 5

About AMEC

AMEC is a focused supplier of high-value consultancy, engineering and project management services to the world’s oil and – Read more