Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Very professional and friendly work environment
PDMS Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON17 November 2015
Very professional and pleasant work place.
Friendly management. Ability to learn new things.
Focus on details in projects.
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Limited time contract work
AMEC was an excemt place to work who were fair and offered excellent compensation.
E&I Engineer, Detour Lake Project Nothern Ontario (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON12 June 2012
A typical day at work was working with contruction management team to kept the project on schedule and on budget

I learned to work with construction trade workers and to keep them on track.

I learned to work a a member of the constriction management team and enjoyed woking with like minded pprofessionls.

The hardest part of the job was anticipating what problems may occur in the future and solving them before they became an issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people who were just intered in getting the job done.
Professional and fun to work.
Mechanical/Piping designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, Sk14 March 2015
Easy going and highly professional work culture, easy to
approach people from other disciplines willing and helpful for any thing related to the projects. strict in budgeted time(which is always the norm in every EPCM company) and
freedom to work extra hours if necessary to meet deadlines and submissions of packages. to summarize, deliver, deliver, deliver,
good company activities in and out of the work place, good community involvements with voluntary employee participation. very lenient in approving extra days off. in general I believed they offer a balanced lifestyle in that particular office.
Pros
Lunch & Learn, and co. training
Cons
longgg winter.
Lots to learn
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 January 2016
Project based disadvantage Is no security of work. My current office offers lots of learning opportunities.
If they can change their business model and have more sustaining project and maintenance & operation definitely a good company
Wide scope of work
Engineering Designer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 January 2016
I have had the best and most experience from Amec FW. To learn about the whole process from bidding to the end at commissioning and all the workings in between.
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
I have none
Great Place to Work
Wildlife and Vegetation Biologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2016
Amecfw Calgary has a very supportive and safe work environment.
Couldn't ask for better co-workers, highly skilled, professional and hard working.
Close group of people, almost Family
Document Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2014
I have enjoyed working here, the people are great very open and friendly, by far one of the better companies I have worked for. Management is at the same level as the employees, so one acts or is seen to be superior. Their doors are open at all times and there is an ease in communicating with them.
The DMG group worked collaboratively together, we were an effective team and also were able to come together and have some fun, potlucks and birthday celebrations.
Pros
Great people, Great Safety program, they care about the people
Cons
Project Life the end is innevitable
Dynamic Work place where clients can be engaged on various aspects from proposal stage to reporting.
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2015
An ideal typical day of work starts with checking on engineers working in the filed on various projects that I am engaged in. Field work typically leads to reporting and analysis in the office. Upon report completion and the supervision of intermediate level engineers I am contacting clients to update them on project progress and following up for future work to be engaged in.

I have been dynamically engaged with various coworkers working in the filed and office to complete reporting and proposal writing. to complete reports and project work and hand in to the client on time and budget gives me satisfaction and sense of achievement.
Fast paced engineering solutions
Construction Management Support & Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 July 2015
Coordination from concept to final design to construction. Typical day consists of confirming status of pending milestones/deadlines with suppliers/contractors and documenting detailed process of advancements with the design/construction of various subsystems.
Pros
resources and documentation at hand
Cons
frequent emergency solutions required
My work role
Bridge/Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2015
• Performing design and drafting for bridge projects

• Preparing the preparation of drawings and specifications on bridge projects

• Performing quantity takeouts and reviewing shop drawings

• Processing projects’ inspections and construction supervisions

• Assisting Seniors to process construction and post-construction engineering
Good working culture and environment
Piping designer/drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2014
Amec is the top EPMS in the world, they provide an easy going work environment and a productive work progress. Although, since they are such a big corporation, their management can be a little delayed in catching up with the pace of the oil and gas market. However, I have always enjoyed the time in this company's community and their development. The Amec years were very valuable and memorable in my work experience.
Pros
Nice working condition
Cons
Business going down in the future.
Professional respectful environment
Project Controller / IT (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 May 2015
Amec Foster Wheeler is a good place to work with internal education structure that fosters self improvement.
Clear focus on critical path and high on HSSE standards.
Currently undergoing many changes with the new merger (Amec and Foster Wheeler have merged to become Amec Foster Wheeler).
This particular job can be slow during downturns, and just the opposite when larger projects are approved, par for the business!
Co-workers are friendly, professional and co-operative for the most part.
Pros
Great beneifts
Cons
Sometimes lack direction
I love what I am doing
Senior Instrument & Control Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2015
Working with AMEC is full of fun, enjoy making things happen, and push project through the schedule. Best day is the delivery day as we mostly prepared well, hardest day when change comes to the project late and reschedule our work. Worst day when we let one of the team go because of work slowing down. best ever enjoyable part of the job when first oil come.
Pros
making good money
Cons
away of the family most of time
Excellen client relations
Assistant Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Esterazy Saskatchewan9 February 2014
Working with Mossaic Construction Management team proved to be very rewarding once we gained their trust. We as a CMT were able to make quick evaluations an decisions that were very quickly validated and approved by client which helped to promote completion of project well ahead of time and well under budget. No Contingency used on this project.
Pros
Excellent CMT able to field engineer to promote progress
Cons
Engineering unable to keep pace with job progress
international firm with little marketing
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 October 2015
estimating, master reports, client management, proposal, technical writing

sales, staff mentoring, senior review, training, presentations
Cons
no marketing, poor leadership
• More than 15 years working experience for Electrical design and drafting
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2014
Responsible to create and update electrical single line diagrams, preparing area classification drawings in coordination with electrical engineers and other discipline engineers. Preparing electrical drawings including schematics drawing, wiring diagrams, motor control schematics, electrical installation details and panel schedules. Create and update grounding layout, lighting/panel layout, electrical equipment layout to meet applicable codes and client specifications. Input data into SmartPlant Electrical (SPEL), maintain SPEL database and generating cable schedule, reporte equipment list, load list and motor datasheet.
A good place to work. Good focus on employees.
Environment & Infrastructure, Associate Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2013
I am involved in the PM duties of three projects (two government clients and one private sector) in Calgary that include my technical and management skills in assisting with the preparation of regulatory applications and project related scoping studies.

I also share/coordinate PM duties for three EA applications for AMEC clients in BC. Duties are shared with AMEC staff in our BC offices. My role is as a mentor and facilitator to assist as well in communications with the client and helping staff to understand project scope and focus on baseline and assessment duties.
My typical day starts early and is constant communications and management of personnel and project tasks including a lot of work I do as well. Hardest part of the job is balancing priorities and keeping staff on track and focused on schedules and budgets.

Hardest part of the job is keeping up to the many demands, balancing all the meetings and still getting work completed!

Enjoyable part is being able to get some of my own tasks completed.
Pros
office is close to my home and commute is short
Cons
hours and expectations (perhaps some of my own) are long!
Very productive with very high quality working environment
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2015
Great working atmosphere with lots of very friendly and helpful people. Lots of internal training provided on an ongoing basis.
Top management and leadership.
Pros
Great Team to work with.
Cons
N/A
good company
Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 January 2016
Avery good company but unfortunately the projects in mining industry are slowing down.
Enjoyable working environment
good co-worker relationship
Productive and fun work place with Gym
PROJECT ACCOUNTANT, ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 August 2014
A typical day at work start at 7:30 with a safety meeting once a week and half hour of break at noon.
People are very kind an reliable with each other. The management team is easily accessible and helpful when needed.
The hardest part of the job is when the project is busy but the most enjoyable part is when co-workers support themself each other.
Pros
Team building
Cons
Pot luck