Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews in Canada

AMEC was an excemt place to work who were fair and offered excellent compensation.
E&I Engineer, Detour Lake Project Nothern Ontario (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ONJune 12, 2012
A typical day at work was working with contruction management team to kept the project on schedule and on budget

I learned to work with construction trade workers and to keep them on track.

I learned to work a a member of the constriction management team and enjoyed woking with like minded pprofessionls.

The hardest part of the job was anticipating what problems may occur in the future and solving them before they became an issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people who were just intered in getting the job done.
Close group of people, almost Family
Document Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 24, 2014
I have enjoyed working here, the people are great very open and friendly, by far one of the better companies I have worked for. Management is at the same level as the employees, so one acts or is seen to be superior. Their doors are open at all times and there is an ease in communicating with them.
The DMG group worked collaboratively together, we were an effective team and also were able to come together and have some fun, potlucks and birthday celebrations.
Pros
great people, great safety program, they care about the people
Cons
project life the end is innevitable
Enjoyed Working at Amec
Expeditor/Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Oakville, OntarioJuly 13, 2015
In my position every day was interesting because you never knew what type of issues would arise. This kept things fun. I liked my coworkers very much as we worked well together.
Professionalism and high wages
HVAC Designer / 3D Modeller (Former Employee) –  CalgaryApril 21, 2015
Amec Foster Wheeler is one of the best companies I ever worked for. Professional management, high salaries, and long lasting projects.
Pros
high wages
Cons
N/A
Good working culture and environment
Piping designer/drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2014
Amec is the top EPMS in the world, they provide an easy going work environment and a productive work progress. Although, since they are such a big corporation, their management can be a little delayed in catching up with the pace of the oil and gas market. However, I have always enjoyed the time in this company's community and their development. The Amec years were very valuable and memorable in my work experience.
Pros
nice working condition
Cons
business going down in the future.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Piping Designer / Checker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMay 6, 2015
I had the opportunity of working for Piping and Process discipline in the same project. First time I worked inside Process discipline, so I learned a lot and provided help as a mechanical engineer for P&ID's and Line List production, and after that I cameback to Piping to continue with my regular activities.
• More than 15 years working experience for Electrical design and drafting
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2014
Responsible to create and update electrical single line diagrams, preparing area classification drawings in coordination with electrical engineers and other discipline engineers. Preparing electrical drawings including schematics drawing, wiring diagrams, motor control schematics, electrical installation details and panel schedules. Create and update grounding layout, lighting/panel layout, electrical equipment layout to meet applicable codes and client specifications. Input data into SmartPlant Electrical (SPEL), maintain SPEL database and generating cable schedule, reporte equipment list, load list and motor datasheet.
Excellen client relations
Assistant Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Esterazy SaskatchewanFebruary 9, 2014
Working with Mossaic Construction Management team proved to be very rewarding once we gained their trust. We as a CMT were able to make quick evaluations an decisions that were very quickly validated and approved by client which helped to promote completion of project well ahead of time and well under budget. No Contingency used on this project.
Pros
excellent cmt able to field engineer to promote progress
Cons
engineering unable to keep pace with job progress
Material Controller (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 1, 2015
The job is great because I get tons of time off working a 14 days on / 14 days off shift. I like that each day brings a new challenge to take on.
Productive and fun work place with Gym
PROJECT ACCOUNTANT, ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE (Former Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 8, 2014
A typical day at work start at 7:30 with a safety meeting once a week and half hour of break at noon.
People are very kind an reliable with each other. The management team is easily accessible and helpful when needed.
The hardest part of the job is when the project is busy but the most enjoyable part is when co-workers support themself each other.
Pros
team building
Cons
pot luck
they are downright terribe
journeyman construction worker (Former Employee) –  multiple contracts.March 13, 2015
Unrealistic expectations, in almost everything they do. They will try too run you off their site for no reason except that you are getting paid sub/travel because you live within 100km instead of being in their camp. Constantly changing buisiness names for no reason. Union busters.
Pros
they pay you money
Cons
terrible operation procedures.
A good place to work. Good focus on employees.
Environment & Infrastructure, Associate Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 31, 2013
I am involved in the PM duties of three projects (two government clients and one private sector) in Calgary that include my technical and management skills in assisting with the preparation of regulatory applications and project related scoping studies.

I also share/coordinate PM duties for three EA applications for AMEC clients in BC. Duties are shared with AMEC staff in our BC offices. My role is as a mentor and facilitator to assist as well in communications with the client and helping staff to understand project scope and focus on baseline and assessment duties.
My typical day starts early and is constant communications and management of personnel and project tasks including a lot of work I do as well. Hardest part of the job is balancing priorities and keeping staff on track and focused on schedules and budgets.

Hardest part of the job is keeping up to the many demands, balancing all the meetings and still getting work completed!

Enjoyable part is being able to get some of my own tasks completed.
Pros
office is close to my home and commute is short
Cons
hours and expectations (perhaps some of my own) are long!
Worse place I ever work
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2014
Worse place to work in term of work environment, job security and management.
100% field work
Engineering Student Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2015
I was always in the field surveying and helping with design. Good experience if you have a good crew chief. Food allowance living out of town is well worth it.
Overall assessment, my job @ amec was very challenging but with my skill and expertise I could finish the project on time and less budget.
Electrical & Control Designer / Drafter (Current Employee) –  111 Dunsmuir Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2013
I'm very much enjoying my day at AMEC because my colleague were very supportive specially to my projects. I learned a lot from their experiences and how to handle stress situation effectively. The hardest part of my job was when the software I'm using got crushed and takes time to put in normal condition.
Pros
we are entitled to have a free foods every friday morning at 10am
Cons
sometimes multiple project to finish at the same time.
The work was very satisfying, and the company appreciated the output
Utilities construction lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Oakville, Kearl siteJune 16, 2014
A typical day
Attend safety & warmup sessions
Review any urgent e-mai
walk site to see the activities on-going & see the compliance to schedule
Attend meetings construction review
Attend review of engineeriing status
Monitor site activity to approve execution
All activities that did not progress were a concern
All activities that progressed well gave satisfaction
Staff are in general very good to get along
Pros
as contractor, were part of the group and participated in co. functions
Learned a great deal - awesome people!
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Great place to work! Amazing experience working with some of the greatest people. Opportunity to grow your skill sets.
Motivating and enjoyable work culture
Process Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 10, 2014
During my internships at AMEC a reputable EPC company, as expected, I gained quality experiences and met many intellectual professionals that expanded both my technical and non-technical skills. During each task assigned I took the initiative to learn new concepts to successfully complete them.
Pros
designated days off, strong safey culture
Relaxed yet professional workplace
Publishing Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 23, 2012
AMEC has provided me with excellent work experience as a publishing technician. Our department is very relaxed and the environment is a comfortable one to work in. Everyone is very professional and works as a team to ensure projects are completed properly and on time, meeting the expectations of our clients. I've gained a lot of experience in the use of Microsoft Office (most projects use Word and PowerPoint as their base), in working as a team, and in project organization.
Flexible work hours
Risk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 5, 2014
busy, productive environment
learned many different and interesting things
Pros
company-sponsored events