Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews in Canada

A lot of Lacking of Management, Nepotism
Ex-employee Sr. Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2013
Not really stable company to work for. Heavy environment, a lot of politics, …nepotism.
The project manager and his wife (who is his assistant) travel back and forth to South America for their convenience at company’s expenses. Some designers have a lot of power to influence managers, even though they are rude, conflicting, and unprofessional. A lot of layoffs. Managers yelling to employees in front of everybody, … unprofessional behavior. Crisis within the electrical department in Calgary.
Pros
some friendly colleagues
Cons
poor management
Overall assessment, my job @ amec was very challenging but with my skill and expertise I could finish the project on time and less budget.
Electrical & Control Designer / Drafter (Current Employee) –  111 Dunsmuir Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2013
I'm very much enjoying my day at AMEC because my colleague were very supportive specially to my projects. I learned a lot from their experiences and how to handle stress situation effectively. The hardest part of my job was when the software I'm using got crushed and takes time to put in normal condition.
Pros
we are entitled to have a free foods every friday morning at 10am
Cons
sometimes multiple project to finish at the same time.
Relaxed yet professional workplace
Publishing Technician (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 23, 2012
AMEC has provided me with excellent work experience as a publishing technician. Our department is very relaxed and the environment is a comfortable one to work in. Everyone is very professional and works as a team to ensure projects are completed properly and on time, meeting the expectations of our clients. I've gained a lot of experience in the use of Microsoft Office (most projects use Word and PowerPoint as their base), in working as a team, and in project organization.
AMEC was an excemt place to work who were fair and offered excellent compensation.
E&I Engineer, Detour Lake Project Nothern Ontario (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ONJune 12, 2012
A typical day at work was working with contruction management team to kept the project on schedule and on budget

I learned to work with construction trade workers and to keep them on track.

I learned to work a a member of the constriction management team and enjoyed woking with like minded pprofessionls.

The hardest part of the job was anticipating what problems may occur in the future and solving them before they became an issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people who were just intered in getting the job done.
Good experience, provide training for their competitors
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 19, 2012
My experience with the company overall wasn't a very good one. You're compensated fairly well for the work, but there were ever changing expectations with poor communication.
Your office/work environment differed from discipline to discipline as well as regional offices. My office was based in London, Ontario, but environment was toxic and uninviting. Having travelled to other offices, it became apparent that there was more of a sense of comradery. May have been due to management styles. Projects made huge margins, but managers claimed poverty, pushed billable time to unethical situations.
Pros
compensation, project experience, training
Cons
management issues, poor communication, unnecessary stress
Productive, fun work environment with a somewhat unstable work culture
Senior Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
AMEC Foster Wheeler truly is a great company to work for; I have always gone from Project to Project for most of my carrier, but with AMECFW I decided to stay for the remainder of this Project based off the management and co-workers in my team.

Learning potential during this time has been great, and I've come quite a ways from being an Intermediate Supply Chain Person to moving up to Senior levels and now having a clearer vision of my path and where I want my carrier to go, and most importantly how to achieve it.

A typical day at work is fairly standard with information gathering for various shipments always being a priority and always double-checking shipping documents plus drawings to ensure everything is correct prior to any loadings of materials or deliveries to Site. Most often the main points of contact I deal with our Expeditors and Engineers with AMECFW plus my shipping counter-parts at various Vendor pick-up locations along with the carriers selected for use on my Project.

My co-workers directly related to the Logistics Group I work with have been great and they are the primary reason I decided to stay with AMECFW this long. Co-workers from other departments have been good to work with,

Would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job I had was knowing that I could do a full day's worth of work and still have my experience and suggestions valued. One of the biggest lessons I've learned from my Manager is know when to do the work, but also suggest a better way of doing the work if I found one - he was a Manager who would listen to any proposal and
  more... back you 100% and always had time to listen and talk to the people he managed, though he preferred to call us teammates rather than his employees.

The hardest part of the job has only started within the last 6 months during this time of recession of the Oil and Gas industry; massive turnovers and layoffs were happening on a weekly basis, leaving openings to positions of management and leadership that were filled with experienced personnel (absolutely no questioning these individuals experience in the industry), but no leadership to guide these individuals in a new direction for the Project. This included my Logistics group as well as my Manager has moved onto another Project.

I have noticed a trend that with lack of direction, a person will always fall back on what they know and work towards making a project viable again through those means, which works well on smaller projects but not projects that have multiple departments or are the size of this current one I am working on.

Any potential for advancement due to my contractor status is gone as AMECFW has stated that most Contractors would be let go at some point unless they are critical to an ongoing project- it's a policy though I understand as most EPC companies work in this fashion so I am not surprised nor have any malice for the company in this regard.

I truly do think AMECFW is the greatest company I have thus far worked for and I know they will be able to rebound and come back stronger in the Oil and Gas and possibly Energy Industries in the future. But for now my need to learn and continue my education in Supply Chain with a focus on Logistics is something I want to pursue, hence I feel now is the time to explore new challenges and see where this can lead me.
Pros
Working with my Logistics Team
Cons
Lack of direction, unclear instructions
Valuable work experience
Junior technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2014
Typical day: Usually started at 7 am in the morning. The first thing to do is to finish up the tests for yesterday ( need to dry in the oven etc). Then performed the new tests that were request.

The co-works are really nice. We help each other at work, and we build a good relationship.
Pros
learn lots tests. know lots people. gain lots experiences
na
Senior Civil/Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 24, 2014
Worked on a fast paced, time constrained project for K+S Potash Canada Legacy Project , Saskatoon. Produced neat and legible concrete and structural steel design drawings. Modeled stair tower using PDMS.
Great opportunity to work on a large interesting, fascinating project
Mechanical Engineer, EIT Various Projects Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 1, 2013
- Great opportunity to work on a large scale projects
- Average compensation
- Designation Day Offs are good
- Little or no knowledge pass downs
- Weak mentor system or policy
- No lunch room
Excellent workplace with opportunities to learn.
Document Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2013
Although this was only a summer student job, I enjoyed working there and was able to experience working in a large firm such as AMEC. It was also an opportunity to meet people for networking purposes and to learn various procedures.
Working in this company was a great opportunity.
Document Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2014
Working to this company is a great privilege, the most prestigious company ever.
Pros
lunch with a group of employees is fun.
Cons
staying for a while in the office for fellowship with co-workers
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 19, 2015
- P.Eng obtained
- Learnt Project Engineering
- Participated in lots of social activities
enjoyed working at Amec
Lead structural designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2014
I would go back and work at Amec again, I thought it was a fulfilling job where I was challenged on a daily basis's
Accounting
Project Accountant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 22, 2014
Accounting Duties
AR/AP

Great team
Only on a contract

Worked in teams as well independently
Amec is one of best place to work with lot of opportunities to be advanced and contiuous learning
Pipe Stress Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2013
-Amec takes care of employee well being
-conerned about employee safety
-value euity of employees

Comment – February 8, 2013

Previous contractor in Calgary. Some people are nice, but the electrical department is not the best area to work for in Calgary. Management is lacking of a lot management skills. Very often you can see Leads yelling and raising voice to others, very unprofessional ... in front of other people. There is not career development there, even thought they promised you a lot of expectations, blah, blah.... No honesty either. Some managers show a great smile to you, but behind ... they are hypocrites...In general, the company is great, but some managers are not giving the big reputation to the company. Wondered why a lot of people is leaving this department? Great and Good people are leaving, others are laying off. A lot of lays off... Sorry for the nice people there... but because of these mean managers, leads. Be a political person if your want to keep your job there, smile to your bosses, laugh of their jokes...

Very Busy Face Past Atmosphere
Lead Project Planner (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 14, 2014
It has been an amazing challenge working at AMEC. I have learned a lot of new things that i will be able to bring with me to any other job and task I take on.
Productive and fun work place
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 9, 2014
Pleasant work environment. Foster employees for advancement.
Big engineering consulting company
Kearl Oil Sands Project, Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJuly 2, 2013
AMEC was my first employer in Canada; the most important think that I learned was the way to do oil and gas projects in Canada
Flexible work hours
Risk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 5, 2014
busy, productive environment
learned many different and interesting things
Pros
company-sponsored events
Great Company
Supply Chain Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 21, 2014
Great Company. Based in Saskatoon Sk working for KSPC on the Legacy Potash mining project