Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Not a place to really make money. Made me go back to school to further myself
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2014
My tenure there was not a great experience. I was left to my own devices on how to work and what my duties were, which was the opposite of what I was told when I was interviewed. Management was not very involved on what people in my division were doing and created a negative work culture. Good thing was that it introduced to the safety side of work and made me go back to school for Occupational Health and Safety
Pros
work in different divisions
Cons
lack of work, no projects were bid on
good company
Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Avery good company but unfortunately the projects in mining industry are slowing down.
Enjoyable working environment
good co-worker relationship
Top heavy management where negativity trickles down and there is no room to grow.
GIS Technician/Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 7, 2014
Decent 9 to 5 hours for those with family *unless in the lab then you have stupid hours, albeit with overtime*
Salary is over-average for the region which is nice and the benefits pckg is why so many people tough it out there, it's good. Good overtime offers for many.

Job security is minimal, linked entirely to your 'chargeability', so you have to make them money. Not charging enough hours to a project and you get called out, told to improve (as if you have control over this) or possibly let go.
Any suggestion of investment or training to improve service is generally frowned on or doubted, as this costs money. High achievers are not valued, as they are costly. They seem to prefer middle to low workers, people who maintain the status quo and have no interest in being the best. Promise of "OneAMEC", with projects all over is very empty - this does not happen to any but a few senior folk.

Learned to swallow pride and wander around the building begging PM's for work.
Good access to other AMEC employees and offices, though - can beg them for work via email.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
top-heavy managment, too many mediocre project managers, fear of technology
Fast paced engineering solutions
Construction Management Support & Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 3, 2015
Coordination from concept to final design to construction. Typical day consists of confirming status of pending milestones/deadlines with suppliers/contractors and documenting detailed process of advancements with the design/construction of various subsystems.
Pros
resources and documentation at hand
Cons
frequent emergency solutions required
Professional and fun to work.
Mechanical/Piping designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SkMarch 14, 2015
Easy going and highly professional work culture, easy to
approach people from other disciplines willing and helpful for any thing related to the projects. strict in budgeted time(which is always the norm in every EPCM company) and
freedom to work extra hours if necessary to meet deadlines and submissions of packages. to summarize, deliver, deliver, deliver,
good company activities in and out of the work place, good community involvements with voluntary employee participation. very lenient in approving extra days off. in general I believed they offer a balanced lifestyle in that particular office.
Pros
lunch & learn, and co. training
Cons
longgg winter.
Unorganized management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 13, 2015
Very unorganized management. No continututy in structure. Job decription changed on a weekly basis and was never discussed. Was announced at meetings always flabbergasting me thus only stayed for a short duration.
benefits
Cons
unorganized management structure
Amec
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Laid off due to lack of Projects, Was a great company to work for over the past 6 years. Now looking for work either in the Oil Industries or out side it.
Good company to work with
Senior Planner (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 21, 2015
Good company to work with. Job security is the biggest challenge. Lay off's are common. Better chance to work with diverse group of professionals.
Great work place for engineering practice
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Great work place for engineering practice, got more experiences from projects and colleagues.. A number of structures practised, more opportunities to deal with different type of structures.
Pros
A number of seminars
Cons
Short of work
Innovative
Document Control Analyst/ Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 13, 2015
Teamwork and determination and job assurance can prolong the culture of a company. I enjoyed working at Amec. It is a great place to work and grow with.
Relaxed and Stress Free Work Envinronment
Lead Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 25, 2015
A pleasure to work at. Cordial employees and interesting mix of complex and simple projects. Focused primarily on upstream with a sprinkling of downstream projects.
I love what I am doing
Senior Instrument & Control Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 6, 2015
Working with AMEC is full of fun, enjoy making things happen, and push project through the schedule. Best day is the delivery day as we mostly prepared well, hardest day when change comes to the project late and reschedule our work. Worst day when we let one of the team go because of work slowing down. best ever enjoyable part of the job when first oil come.
Pros
making good money
Cons
away of the family most of time
Great work environment, talented people with great skills
Canada - Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2014
Typical day at work is getting up before sunrise, driving 1 hour to work at the mine site. The hours worked are long, typical day spent outside the home is 15 hours. Once at work, your motivated by the people around you, it is a fast paced environment, must be able to react and solve issues within hours. The best aspect of the work is conversing with all my colleagues. The people I have met during my stay at AMEC Foster Wheeler are definitely the greatest asset to the company. Extremely knowledgeable, both at and away from the work place. The most enjoyable part of day is saying good-bye to the day shift.
Pros
lunch and learns
Cons
AMEC FW is a good company to work for and the working practices are very similar to other EPC Contractors
Principal Piping Materials Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, SKSeptember 13, 2015
AMEC FW, Aberdeen is a typical EPC Contractor working for various clients on Brownfield projects.
The company has well established working procedures aimed at achieving a quality product.
Co-workers are a blend of older experienced personnel and young graduate engineers.
AMEC was an excemt place to work who were fair and offered excellent compensation.
E&I Engineer, Detour Lake Project Nothern Ontario (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ONJune 12, 2012
A typical day at work was working with contruction management team to kept the project on schedule and on budget

I learned to work with construction trade workers and to keep them on track.

I learned to work a a member of the constriction management team and enjoyed woking with like minded pprofessionls.

The hardest part of the job was anticipating what problems may occur in the future and solving them before they became an issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people who were just intered in getting the job done.
Dynamic Work place where clients can be engaged on various aspects from proposal stage to reporting.
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 2, 2015
An ideal typical day of work starts with checking on engineers working in the filed on various projects that I am engaged in. Field work typically leads to reporting and analysis in the office. Upon report completion and the supervision of intermediate level engineers I am contacting clients to update them on project progress and following up for future work to be engaged in.

I have been dynamically engaged with various coworkers working in the filed and office to complete reporting and proposal writing. to complete reports and project work and hand in to the client on time and budget gives me satisfaction and sense of achievement.
Hard work but worth it
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABOctober 11, 2015
I was a lab tech there and I was busy constantly during the boom in Alberta. It was hard work and I enjoyed it, got tons of hours, recognition for hard work and my boss was great. I didn't want to leave but during the downturn I had no hours and had to move on.
Close group of people, almost Family
Document Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 24, 2014
I have enjoyed working here, the people are great very open and friendly, by far one of the better companies I have worked for. Management is at the same level as the employees, so one acts or is seen to be superior. Their doors are open at all times and there is an ease in communicating with them.
The DMG group worked collaboratively together, we were an effective team and also were able to come together and have some fun, potlucks and birthday celebrations.
Pros
great people, great safety program, they care about the people
Cons
project life the end is innevitable
Professional respectful environment
Project Controller / IT (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 15, 2015
Amec Foster Wheeler is a good place to work with internal education structure that fosters self improvement.
Clear focus on critical path and high on HSSE standards.
Currently undergoing many changes with the new merger (Amec and Foster Wheeler have merged to become Amec Foster Wheeler).
This particular job can be slow during downturns, and just the opposite when larger projects are approved, par for the business!
Co-workers are friendly, professional and co-operative for the most part.
Pros
Great beneifts
Cons
Sometimes lack direction
A very professional and well established and organized EPCM company
Senior Mechanical HVAC Designer & Specialist (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 24, 2015
The company always emphasizes safety, excellence and innovation. Their human resources are so extensive that they can handle any EPCM projects.
Pros
It it a well organized company