Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Overall good place to work
Construction Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2016
Good team spirit overall. Family work balance is good, benefit are ok. Safety culture is exceptional. People seemed happy in general. Hardest part is to have people moved around from projects to projects.
AMEC Americas
Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
Good company to work with. Nice work-life balance and experience in diverse projects. Optionally one can work at site or in office depending on ones preferences.
It is the best work place
Senior HVAC/Mechanical MEP Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary Canada15 May 2016
Very professional, very organised and very much fun. Very considerate and understanding. Co-workers are very friendly.
Multi national personnel type of people working there.
Pros
Gain lots of experience
Cons
If your project is over, you may be let go
Excellent Place to work
Senior Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 May 2016
Enjoyable, excellent working environment and a pleasure working with staff and management, Flexible hours, good pay and benefits.
good tech support. Effortsare appreciated.
Water Resources Engineer-in-Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
The group at Amec Foster Wheeler was a productive. The majority of employees were terrific to work with, providing constructive and helpful feedback on all work completed.
Large EPCM company with operations around the globe
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2016
Working with Amec Foster Wheeler has provided me with opportunities to expand my career skill set. I have been involved with multiple projects that have allowed me to develop my skills as a Project Engineer. It is a good place to work.
Good working atmosphere
FORMALLY THREESTREAMS ENG (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2016
Team work and a friendly working atmosphere with good support from senior mangement lead to well engineered projects and Client satisfaction.
Pros
An all inclusive working environment
Cons
A good company to work for
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 April 2016
This is a great company. Generally, no complaints: interesting job, good people, very high job culture level. Everything is fine but the salary rate does not grow.
Everyday was a productive day, with something new to learn
Junior Expeditor/Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2016
Amec Foster Wheeler is a great organization to be with. They balance work and personal life.
Everyday you get an opportunity to learn something new under great management.
A great company to work
Senior PDMS structural designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 April 2016
Working on large projects with leading edge engineering tool. the management were very supportive. Co-works were easy communicate. Enjoy going into office everyday.
Fun
Design Engineer - Electrical (Former Employee) –  kuwait2 April 2016
i had been working with great co-worker and nice management level for more than 3 years which they give me great support and punch of information and you could stay in touch with all your friends and managers after when you leave coz we being as such great family and doing good job together
Average place to work,
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 March 2016
Amec Foster Wheeler are a fair company.
Typical day at work is fun and enjoyable.
Management could be better as in honesty, typical large corporation attitude by management.
Co workers are good to work with, young group that need to be mentored by seniors with extensive experience.
Hardest part of job , dealing with management systems, need to be refined.
Pros
Pleasant enough atmosphere, convienient location.
Cons
Never being told that it was a job well done.
A decent place to work
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2016
Amec Foster Wheeler is a decent place to work overall. I've learned some new skills in the water quality field. Co-workers are generally decent to work with.
Pros
Most upper management is encouraging
Cons
Current con is job security, although this hasn't always been the case.
Multiculture, harmonized, continuous learning environment
SENIOR BUYER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2016
- good cooperation with functional departments
- excellent cooperation and collaboration with each discipline
- good management system in place
- motivated work environment
Great folks, leadership?
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 March 2016
Days are long, weekends are short or non-existent when you happen to fill a role that is deemed required. Hard work and commitment is not recognized either by a salary increase or simple thank you.
Pros
DDO program, great people
Cons
Lacking true leadership focused on improving the organization (office)
Great place to learn with colleagues and build a career working on quality technical projects
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 March 2016
Exceptional company to work for in regards to professional quality of work, health and safety, and project management best practice implementation.
Productive, fun work environment with a somewhat unstable work culture
Senior Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
AMEC Foster Wheeler truly is a great company to work for; I have always gone from Project to Project for most of my carrier, but with AMECFW I decided to stay for the remainder of this Project based off the management and co-workers in my team.

Learning potential during this time has been great, and I've come quite a ways from being an Intermediate Supply Chain Person to moving up to Senior levels and now having a clearer vision of my path and where I want my carrier to go, and most importantly how to achieve it.

A typical day at work is fairly standard with information gathering for various shipments always being a priority and always double-checking shipping documents plus drawings to ensure everything is correct prior to any loadings of materials or deliveries to Site. Most often the main points of contact I deal with our Expeditors and Engineers with AMECFW plus my shipping counter-parts at various Vendor pick-up locations along with the carriers selected for use on my Project.

My co-workers directly related to the Logistics Group I work with have been great and they are the primary reason I decided to stay with AMECFW this long. Co-workers from other departments have been good to work with,

Would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job I had was knowing that I could do a full day's worth of work and still have my experience and suggestions valued. One of the biggest lessons I've learned from my Manager is know when to do the work, but also suggest a better way of doing the work if I found one - he was a Manager who would listen to any proposal and
  more... back you 100% and always had time to listen and talk to the people he managed, though he preferred to call us teammates rather than his employees.

The hardest part of the job has only started within the last 6 months during this time of recession of the Oil and Gas industry; massive turnovers and layoffs were happening on a weekly basis, leaving openings to positions of management and leadership that were filled with experienced personnel (absolutely no questioning these individuals experience in the industry), but no leadership to guide these individuals in a new direction for the Project. This included my Logistics group as well as my Manager has moved onto another Project.

I have noticed a trend that with lack of direction, a person will always fall back on what they know and work towards making a project viable again through those means, which works well on smaller projects but not projects that have multiple departments or are the size of this current one I am working on.

Any potential for advancement due to my contractor status is gone as AMECFW has stated that most Contractors would be let go at some point unless they are critical to an ongoing project- it's a policy though I understand as most EPC companies work in this fashion so I am not surprised nor have any malice for the company in this regard.

I truly do think AMECFW is the greatest company I have thus far worked for and I know they will be able to rebound and come back stronger in the Oil and Gas and possibly Energy Industries in the future. But for now my need to learn and continue my education in Supply Chain with a focus on Logistics is something I want to pursue, hence I feel now is the time to explore new challenges and see where this can lead me.
Pros
Working with my Logistics Team
Cons
Lack of direction, unclear instructions
Engaging job
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB9 March 2016
- Excellent summer student opportunity
- Engaging
- Lots of learning experience
- Great experience with industry professional
Great atmosphere and information sharing
Instrumentation and Controls Designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 March 2016
I enjoyed my time at Amec Foster Wheeler tremendously. They gave me an opportunity to grow and develop far beyond any I had experienced in previous employment situations.
A day at Amec
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB6 March 2016
A typical day at work is doing laboratory testing of aggregates.Preparing test results and reporting to clients. I learned to deal with different personalities especially during site visits. My co workers are awesome to work with because we have a good working relationship .The hardest part of the job is driving in a remote site and long hours of work. The most enjoyable part of the job is of course is when you see your paycheck
Pros
good benifits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amec Foster Wheeler. Our community is ready to answer.