Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Nice Team work environment
EDMS Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
Good company to work for. Tries to do the right thing for there employees. As they hire people on for projects, they tend to get rid of these same people when projects are complete.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Getting rid of permanent employees at end of project
Large EPCM company with operations around the globe
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2016
Working with Amec Foster Wheeler has provided me with opportunities to expand my career skill set. I have been involved with multiple projects that have allowed me to develop my skills as a Project Engineer. It is a good place to work.
Good career growth
Senior Instrumentation and Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2016
Provided an excellent opportunity to work on multiple large scale oil & gas projects. Very good project management team and long term client relationship.
Pros
Great Team work
Cons
Compensation rate is less
A company that you will consider to work continuously, until you retire
Lead Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 May 2015
Employees are very focus on their daily assignment. Amec will provide you training that is related to your discipline. The management is making sure that people in the projects are proactive and work hard to finish the job on time and meet the budget.

My co-workers are very respectful with each other. Very cooperative and are team players.

The hardest part of the job was we were short of staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that the management recognized the value of quality work.
Cooperative environment which lead to less stress full day work
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2016
Learning to use Prosteel to produce 3D models was the most exciting part of my job. Helpful colleague and understanding project leads made it enjoyable experience.
Pros
Work/ Life balance was good
Provides career growth opportunities in a friendly multicultural environment.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2014
AMEC management provides a lot of learning opportunities as well as career growth options to its employees. The management actively engages the employees and acts on good suggestions.

The working culture is friendly and co-operative. The multicultural atmosphere is very welcoming to all. Most co-workers are very efficient, hard-working and effective.
I enjoy working at Amec. But sometimes changes are required, when performance is not taken into consideration when layoff are done - it is preference
Enginnering - Quality check (Former Employee) –  AB9 March 2015
Productive and conducive to working environment. No micro-management. We are treated like matured people and I love going to work every day without any stress or tension. Management is very understanding. What I have learned is do ones work sincerely and you will be rewarded well. The hardest part of my job is when sometimes procedures are not in place. Enjoyable part is we are given a lot of freedom. As long as your results are good when they run reports on each of us.
Pros
Free gym
Fun
Design Engineer - Electrical (Former Employee) –  kuwait2 April 2016
i had been working with great co-worker and nice management level for more than 3 years which they give me great support and punch of information and you could stay in touch with all your friends and managers after when you leave coz we being as such great family and doing good job together
Multiculture, harmonized, continuous learning environment
SENIOR BUYER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2016
- good cooperation with functional departments
- excellent cooperation and collaboration with each discipline
- good management system in place
- motivated work environment
Good experience, provide training for their competitors
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 November 2012
My experience with the company overall wasn't a very good one. You're compensated fairly well for the work, but there were ever changing expectations with poor communication.
Your office/work environment differed from discipline to discipline as well as regional offices. My office was based in London, Ontario, but environment was toxic and uninviting. Having travelled to other offices, it became apparent that there was more of a sense of comradery. May have been due to management styles. Projects made huge margins, but managers claimed poverty, pushed billable time to unethical situations.
Pros
compensation, project experience, training
Cons
management issues, poor communication, unnecessary stress
Great folks, leadership?
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 March 2016
Days are long, weekends are short or non-existent when you happen to fill a role that is deemed required. Hard work and commitment is not recognized either by a salary increase or simple thank you.
Pros
DDO program, great people
Cons
Lacking true leadership focused on improving the organization (office)
A great company to work
Senior PDMS structural designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 April 2016
Working on large projects with leading edge engineering tool. the management were very supportive. Co-works were easy communicate. Enjoy going into office everyday.
A lot of Lacking of Management, Nepotism
Ex-employee Sr. Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2013
Not really stable company to work for. Heavy environment, a lot of politics, …nepotism.
The project manager and his wife (who is his assistant) travel back and forth to South America for their convenience at company’s expenses. Some designers have a lot of power to influence managers, even though they are rude, conflicting, and unprofessional. A lot of layoffs. Managers yelling to employees in front of everybody, … unprofessional behavior. Crisis within the electrical department in Calgary.
Pros
Some friendly colleagues
Cons
Poor Management
Excellent Company
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2016
This is an excellent company to work with. Fair treatment of employees, and has provided me with a veyr good opportunity to improce my skills and exposure to mega projects.
Pros
Large Company with mulititude of projects
Cons
No projects
Productive, fun work environment with a somewhat unstable work culture
Senior Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
AMEC Foster Wheeler truly is a great company to work for; I have always gone from Project to Project for most of my carrier, but with AMECFW I decided to stay for the remainder of this Project based off the management and co-workers in my team.

Learning potential during this time has been great, and I've come quite a ways from being an Intermediate Supply Chain Person to moving up to Senior levels and now having a clearer vision of my path and where I want my carrier to go, and most importantly how to achieve it.

A typical day at work is fairly standard with information gathering for various shipments always being a priority and always double-checking shipping documents plus drawings to ensure everything is correct prior to any loadings of materials or deliveries to Site. Most often the main points of contact I deal with our Expeditors and Engineers with AMECFW plus my shipping counter-parts at various Vendor pick-up locations along with the carriers selected for use on my Project.

My co-workers directly related to the Logistics Group I work with have been great and they are the primary reason I decided to stay with AMECFW this long. Co-workers from other departments have been good to work with,

Would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job I had was knowing that I could do a full day's worth of work and still have my experience and suggestions valued. One of the biggest lessons I've learned from my Manager is know when to do the work, but also suggest a better way of doing the work if I found one - he was a Manager who would listen to any proposal and
  more... back you 100% and always had time to listen and talk to the people he managed, though he preferred to call us teammates rather than his employees.

The hardest part of the job has only started within the last 6 months during this time of recession of the Oil and Gas industry; massive turnovers and layoffs were happening on a weekly basis, leaving openings to positions of management and leadership that were filled with experienced personnel (absolutely no questioning these individuals experience in the industry), but no leadership to guide these individuals in a new direction for the Project. This included my Logistics group as well as my Manager has moved onto another Project.

I have noticed a trend that with lack of direction, a person will always fall back on what they know and work towards making a project viable again through those means, which works well on smaller projects but not projects that have multiple departments or are the size of this current one I am working on.

Any potential for advancement due to my contractor status is gone as AMECFW has stated that most Contractors would be let go at some point unless they are critical to an ongoing project- it's a policy though I understand as most EPC companies work in this fashion so I am not surprised nor have any malice for the company in this regard.

I truly do think AMECFW is the greatest company I have thus far worked for and I know they will be able to rebound and come back stronger in the Oil and Gas and possibly Energy Industries in the future. But for now my need to learn and continue my education in Supply Chain with a focus on Logistics is something I want to pursue, hence I feel now is the time to explore new challenges and see where this can lead me.
Pros
Working with my Logistics Team
Cons
Lack of direction, unclear instructions
Project Control Manager - Cover Letter
Project Controls Manager (Current Employee) –  Alberta27 October 2015
Kindly note that I am managing the Project Controls for more than 12 years. I have experience on PMC, EPCM, and EPC of Oil and Gas, Buildings, Chemicals, Petrochemicals, and Mines and Refineries Projects. I am expert in Planning, Scheduling, Cost Controlling, and Project Controls and have leadership in Project Engineering, Procurement, Contracts, Controls, and Construction.

My Controls Management covers Projects of more than 10 Billion USD contract value.
I am highly skilled in Planning and Progress Monitoring, Cost Controls, Plans and Budgets, Commitments, Payments and Expenditures, and Margin Analysis, and can set up the Project Controls System and develop and implement the controls procedures in any kind of project.

Change Management of Budgets and Trends, Variations, and impact on Contingency and TIC are also part of my experience, in addition to the Risk Management, Causes and Effects, impact on Cost and Schedule, and mitigation Strategies.
Not a place to really make money. Made me go back to school to further myself
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2014
My tenure there was not a great experience. I was left to my own devices on how to work and what my duties were, which was the opposite of what I was told when I was interviewed. Management was not very involved on what people in my division were doing and created a negative work culture. Good thing was that it introduced to the safety side of work and made me go back to school for Occupational Health and Safety
Pros
Work in different divisions
Cons
Lack of work, no projects were bid on
Critical Standards
Senior Planner For IORVL KDeOx project, FEED Phase (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2015
The projects I worked on were at times differing due to the nature of the clients and the project management. The challenge was to encourage systems standardization to benefit the client with benchmarking.
Pros
Extensive P6 Use
Cons
Long Hours
Fall from potential greatness
Vice President, AMEC Environment & Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 December 2015
This company has lost it's way. It's fall from potential greatness has come as a result of it's inward focus in recent years. I wish then the best, but as long as the focus remains on inward controls rather than clients AmecFW will not be a pleasant place to attempt to build a career.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
lack of vision and intentionally poor communication
Multicultural Company looking after multi Billion dollar projects
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER\ SYSTEM STUDY LEAD (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 June 2016
I enjoyed my tasks in this company. As a lead, supervised and consulted junior/senior electrical engineers and educated them regarding system studies.