Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Productive, fun work environment with a somewhat unstable work culture
Senior Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
AMEC Foster Wheeler truly is a great company to work for; I have always gone from Project to Project for most of my carrier, but with AMECFW I decided to stay for the remainder of this Project based off the management and co-workers in my team.

Learning potential during this time has been great, and I've come quite a ways from being an Intermediate Supply Chain Person to moving up to Senior levels and now having a clearer vision of my path and where I want my carrier to go, and most importantly how to achieve it.

A typical day at work is fairly standard with information gathering for various shipments always being a priority and always double-checking shipping documents plus drawings to ensure everything is correct prior to any loadings of materials or deliveries to Site. Most often the main points of contact I deal with our Expeditors and Engineers with AMECFW plus my shipping counter-parts at various Vendor pick-up locations along with the carriers selected for use on my Project.

My co-workers directly related to the Logistics Group I work with have been great and they are the primary reason I decided to stay with AMECFW this long. Co-workers from other departments have been good to work with,

Would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job I had was knowing that I could do a full day's worth of work and still have my experience and suggestions valued. One of the biggest lessons I've learned from my Manager is know when to do the work, but also suggest a better way of doing the work if I found one - he was a Manager who would listen to any proposal and
  more... back you 100% and always had time to listen and talk to the people he managed, though he preferred to call us teammates rather than his employees.

The hardest part of the job has only started within the last 6 months during this time of recession of the Oil and Gas industry; massive turnovers and layoffs were happening on a weekly basis, leaving openings to positions of management and leadership that were filled with experienced personnel (absolutely no questioning these individuals experience in the industry), but no leadership to guide these individuals in a new direction for the Project. This included my Logistics group as well as my Manager has moved onto another Project.

I have noticed a trend that with lack of direction, a person will always fall back on what they know and work towards making a project viable again through those means, which works well on smaller projects but not projects that have multiple departments or are the size of this current one I am working on.

Any potential for advancement due to my contractor status is gone as AMECFW has stated that most Contractors would be let go at some point unless they are critical to an ongoing project- it's a policy though I understand as most EPC companies work in this fashion so I am not surprised nor have any malice for the company in this regard.

I truly do think AMECFW is the greatest company I have thus far worked for and I know they will be able to rebound and come back stronger in the Oil and Gas and possibly Energy Industries in the future. But for now my need to learn and continue my education in Supply Chain with a focus on Logistics is something I want to pursue, hence I feel now is the time to explore new challenges and see where this can lead me.
Pros
Working with my Logistics Team
Cons
Lack of direction, unclear instructions
Great atmosphere and information sharing
Instrumentation and Controls Designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 March 2016
I enjoyed my time at Amec Foster Wheeler tremendously. They gave me an opportunity to grow and develop far beyond any I had experienced in previous employment situations.
A day at Amec
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB6 March 2016
A typical day at work is doing laboratory testing of aggregates.Preparing test results and reporting to clients. I learned to deal with different personalities especially during site visits. My co workers are awesome to work with because we have a good working relationship .The hardest part of the job is driving in a remote site and long hours of work. The most enjoyable part of the job is of course is when you see your paycheck
Pros
good benifits
Cons
Great company to work for!
Section Manager & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2016
Great place to work for. Good benefits. Great staff and management team. A lot of oppurtunities to work in different areas of the company
Great
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 February 2016
One of the best jobs I had with a great paying company along with great benefits and great co-workers. Training and procedures given .
Great Place to Work
Wildlife and Vegetation Biologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2016
Amecfw Calgary has a very supportive and safe work environment.
Couldn't ask for better co-workers, highly skilled, professional and hard working.
Amec Foster Wheeler provides a full range of services to the oil sands industry
Lead Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta Canada18 February 2016
Amec Foster Wheeler provides a full range of services to the oil sands industry, from initial studies and environmental consulting through to operator training and management of some of the largest construction projects in North America.

Amec Foster Wheeler has worked on almost every mineable lease in Canada since development of the industry in the 1950s. Our reputation in the application of new and established technologies means we are the pre-eminent provider of initial studies, design, environmental consulting, engineering, project management, construction services and operator training. Our areas of expertise span not only mineable extraction and in-situ bitumen production (using SAGD or other technologies) but also pipelines, power generation and infrastructure for bitumen extraction plants.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Job insecurity due to nature of the business
Productive and educational
Civil Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 February 2016
It is certainly a good company to work for. I learned how to coordinate tasks in a very busy environment. The management is an excellent example in the field that knows how achieve the best out of
workers,
Pros
always positive attitude
Nice co-workers to work with
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 January 2016
like that we have a designated day off program so we work an extra .5 hrs per day in order to participate in the program and get an extra day off per month, and close down for 2 weeks over xmas, administrative, invoicing, dealing with engineers, contracts people
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long Hours
Wide scope of work
Engineering Designer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 January 2016
I have had the best and most experience from Amec FW. To learn about the whole process from bidding to the end at commissioning and all the workings in between.
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
I have none
Good
Senior Architect (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2016
Good work environment
Benefits are very good
Long work hours
Lots to learn
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 January 2016
Project based disadvantage Is no security of work. My current office offers lots of learning opportunities.
If they can change their business model and have more sustaining project and maintenance & operation definitely a good company
productive and fun working place
CITRIX SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2016
-very productive and it was a great place to be part of
-very relaxed environment
-friendly and helpful co-workers
-great salary
good company
Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 January 2016
Avery good company but unfortunately the projects in mining industry are slowing down.
Enjoyable working environment
good co-worker relationship
Good career growth
Senior Instrumentation and Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2016
Provided an excellent opportunity to work on multiple large scale oil & gas projects. Very good project management team and long term client relationship.
Pros
Great Team work
Cons
Compensation rate is less
Fall from potential greatness
Vice President, AMEC Environment & Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 December 2015
This company has lost it's way. It's fall from potential greatness has come as a result of it's inward focus in recent years. I wish then the best, but as long as the focus remains on inward controls rather than clients AmecFW will not be a pleasant place to attempt to build a career.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
lack of vision and intentionally poor communication
Collaborative Results oriented drama free environment
electrical engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 December 2015
Well managed in Vancouver. Exceptional team environment focussed on obtaining results the right way. Generous training allowance.

Friday donut sessions with performance and safety moments - promotes excellent communication between staff and management.
Pros
collaborative team environment, makes it a pleasure to work here
Cons
long hours, no job security, cutbacks in benefits and stagnant wages
Amec
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2015
Laid off due to lack of Projects, Was a great company to work for over the past 6 years. Now looking for work either in the Oil Industries or out side it.
My work role
Bridge/Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 November 2015
• Performing design and drafting for bridge projects

• Preparing the preparation of drawings and specifications on bridge projects

• Performing quantity takeouts and reviewing shop drawings

• Processing projects’ inspections and construction supervisions

• Assisting Seniors to process construction and post-construction engineering
Relaxed and Stress Free Work Envinronment
Lead Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2015
A pleasure to work at. Cordial employees and interesting mix of complex and simple projects. Focused primarily on upstream with a sprinkling of downstream projects.