Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

PDS Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2015
Friendly work environment.
Access to in house training programs.
Competitive salary when possible.
Employee's safety is a priority.
Good benefits package
Nice co-workers to work with
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 January 2016
like that we have a designated day off program so we work an extra .5 hrs per day in order to participate in the program and get an extra day off per month, and close down for 2 weeks over xmas, administrative, invoicing, dealing with engineers, contracts people
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long Hours
Good working atmosphere
FORMALLY THREESTREAMS ENG (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2016
Team work and a friendly working atmosphere with good support from senior mangement lead to well engineered projects and Client satisfaction.
Pros
An all inclusive working environment
Cons
Water Resources Engineer-in-Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
The group at Amec Foster Wheeler was a productive. The majority of employees were terrific to work with, providing constructive and helpful feedback on all work completed.
Unorganized management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2015
Very unorganized management. No continututy in structure. Job decription changed on a weekly basis and was never discussed. Was announced at meetings always flabbergasting me thus only stayed for a short duration.
Benefits
Cons
Unorganized management structure
Fall from potential greatness
Vice President, AMEC Environment & Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 December 2015
This company has lost it's way. It's fall from potential greatness has come as a result of it's inward focus in recent years. I wish then the best, but as long as the focus remains on inward controls rather than clients AmecFW will not be a pleasant place to attempt to build a career.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
lack of vision and intentionally poor communication
Project Control Manager - Cover Letter
Project Controls Manager (Current Employee) –  Alberta27 October 2015
Kindly note that I am managing the Project Controls for more than 12 years. I have experience on PMC, EPCM, and EPC of Oil and Gas, Buildings, Chemicals, Petrochemicals, and Mines and Refineries Projects. I am expert in Planning, Scheduling, Cost Controlling, and Project Controls and have leadership in Project Engineering, Procurement, Contracts, Controls, and Construction.

My Controls Management covers Projects of more than 10 Billion USD contract value.
I am highly skilled in Planning and Progress Monitoring, Cost Controls, Plans and Budgets, Commitments, Payments and Expenditures, and Margin Analysis, and can set up the Project Controls System and develop and implement the controls procedures in any kind of project.

Change Management of Budgets and Trends, Variations, and impact on Contingency and TIC are also part of my experience, in addition to the Risk Management, Causes and Effects, impact on Cost and Schedule, and mitigation Strategies.
Productive and educational
Civil Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 February 2016
It is certainly a good company to work for. I learned how to coordinate tasks in a very busy environment. The management is an excellent example in the field that knows how achieve the best out of
workers,
Pros
always positive attitude
Productive, fun work environment with a somewhat unstable work culture
Senior Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2016
AMEC Foster Wheeler truly is a great company to work for; I have always gone from Project to Project for most of my carrier, but with AMECFW I decided to stay for the remainder of this Project based off the management and co-workers in my team.

Learning potential during this time has been great, and I've come quite a ways from being an Intermediate Supply Chain Person to moving up to Senior levels and now having a clearer vision of my path and where I want my carrier to go, and most importantly how to achieve it.

A typical day at work is fairly standard with information gathering for various shipments always being a priority and always double-checking shipping documents plus drawings to ensure everything is correct prior to any loadings of materials or deliveries to Site. Most often the main points of contact I deal with our Expeditors and Engineers with AMECFW plus my shipping counter-parts at various Vendor pick-up locations along with the carriers selected for use on my Project.

My co-workers directly related to the Logistics Group I work with have been great and they are the primary reason I decided to stay with AMECFW this long. Co-workers from other departments have been good to work with,

Would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job I had was knowing that I could do a full day's worth of work and still have my experience and suggestions valued. One of the biggest lessons I've learned from my Manager is know when to do the work, but also suggest a better way of doing the work if I found one - he was a Manager who would listen to any proposal and
  more... back you 100% and always had time to listen and talk to the people he managed, though he preferred to call us teammates rather than his employees.

The hardest part of the job has only started within the last 6 months during this time of recession of the Oil and Gas industry; massive turnovers and layoffs were happening on a weekly basis, leaving openings to positions of management and leadership that were filled with experienced personnel (absolutely no questioning these individuals experience in the industry), but no leadership to guide these individuals in a new direction for the Project. This included my Logistics group as well as my Manager has moved onto another Project.

I have noticed a trend that with lack of direction, a person will always fall back on what they know and work towards making a project viable again through those means, which works well on smaller projects but not projects that have multiple departments or are the size of this current one I am working on.

Any potential for advancement due to my contractor status is gone as AMECFW has stated that most Contractors would be let go at some point unless they are critical to an ongoing project- it's a policy though I understand as most EPC companies work in this fashion so I am not surprised nor have any malice for the company in this regard.

I truly do think AMECFW is the greatest company I have thus far worked for and I know they will be able to rebound and come back stronger in the Oil and Gas and possibly Energy Industries in the future. But for now my need to learn and continue my education in Supply Chain with a focus on Logistics is something I want to pursue, hence I feel now is the time to explore new challenges and see where this can lead me.
Pros
Working with my Logistics Team
Cons
Lack of direction, unclear instructions
Great atmosphere and information sharing
Instrumentation and Controls Designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 March 2016
I enjoyed my time at Amec Foster Wheeler tremendously. They gave me an opportunity to grow and develop far beyond any I had experienced in previous employment situations.
Great opportunity to work on a large interesting, fascinating project
Mechanical Engineer, EIT Various Projects Support (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 October 2013
- Great opportunity to work on a large scale projects
- Average compensation
- Designation Day Offs are good
- Little or no knowledge pass downs
- Weak mentor system or policy
- No lunch room
A company that you will consider to work continuously, until you retire
Lead Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 May 2015
Employees are very focus on their daily assignment. Amec will provide you training that is related to your discipline. The management is making sure that people in the projects are proactive and work hard to finish the job on time and meet the budget.

My co-workers are very respectful with each other. Very cooperative and are team players.

The hardest part of the job was we were short of staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that the management recognized the value of quality work.
Critical Standards
Senior Planner For IORVL KDeOx project, FEED Phase (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2015
The projects I worked on were at times differing due to the nature of the clients and the project management. The challenge was to encourage systems standardization to benefit the client with benchmarking.
Pros
Extensive P6 Use
Cons
Long Hours
I enjoy working at Amec. But sometimes changes are required, when performance is not taken into consideration when layoff are done - it is preference
Enginnering - Quality check (Former Employee) –  AB9 March 2015
Productive and conducive to working environment. No micro-management. We are treated like matured people and I love going to work every day without any stress or tension. Management is very understanding. What I have learned is do ones work sincerely and you will be rewarded well. The hardest part of my job is when sometimes procedures are not in place. Enjoyable part is we are given a lot of freedom. As long as your results are good when they run reports on each of us.
Pros
Free gym
good company
Senior Electrical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2015
one of the best company i have worked for so far. good people and work-life balance. management however needs to look at the bureaucracy brewing on the lower level.
Company has a great professional environment to work, great resources, management accessible and friendly.
Electrical Lead (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 September 2015
- the flexible work time with a core schedule to fulfill provides great motivation to the people and the client.
- working face to face with the client provides a challenge to satisfy their needs, fulfilling the right procedures.
- communication from management to our people is key to get ownership and commitment to the project.
- all co-workers and client worked as one team, which was key for the success of the project.
Pros
Good resources, good office accommodation, team work was great!
Great Place to Work
Wildlife and Vegetation Biologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2016
Amecfw Calgary has a very supportive and safe work environment.
Couldn't ask for better co-workers, highly skilled, professional and hard working.
Lots to learn
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 January 2016
Project based disadvantage Is no security of work. My current office offers lots of learning opportunities.
If they can change their business model and have more sustaining project and maintenance & operation definitely a good company
Wide scope of work
Engineering Designer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 January 2016
I have had the best and most experience from Amec FW. To learn about the whole process from bidding to the end at commissioning and all the workings in between.
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
I have none
Excellent Company
Project Materials Coordinador/Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Calgary and Oilsands Sites5 October 2015
My best work experience so far, excellent company, work environment and safety culture at the best. Very good coworkers and professionals.
Pros
Good Safety culture, good salaries and excellent work environment
Cons
Work just on projects not permanent palcement