Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A company that you will consider to work continuously, until you retire
Lead Structural Designer (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 4, 2015
Employees are very focus on their daily assignment. Amec will provide you training that is related to your discipline. The management is making sure that people in the projects are proactive and work hard to finish the job on time and meet the budget.

My co-workers are very respectful with each other. Very cooperative and are team players.

The hardest part of the job was we were short of staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that the management recognized the value of quality work.
Good experience, provide training for their competitors
Environmental Technician (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 19, 2012
Pros: compensation, project experience, training
Cons: management issues, poor communication, unnecessary stress
My experience with the company overall wasn't a very good one. You're compensated fairly well for the work, but there were ever changing expectations with poor communication.
Your office/work environment differed from discipline to discipline as well as regional offices. My office was based in London, Ontario, but environment was toxic and uninviting. Having travelled to other offices, it became apparent that there was more of a sense of comradery. May have been due to management styles. Projects made huge margins, but managers claimed poverty, pushed billable time to unethical situations.
Top heavy management where negativity trickles down and there is no room to grow.
GIS Technician/Archaeologist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: top-heavy managment, too many mediocre project managers, fear of technology
Decent 9 to 5 hours for those with family *unless in the lab then you have stupid hours, albeit with overtime*
Salary is over-average for the region which is nice and the benefits pckg is why so many people tough it out there, it's good. Good overtime offers for many.

Job security is minimal, linked entirely to your 'chargeability', so you have to make them money. Not charging enough hours to a project and you get called out, told to improve (as if you have control over this) or possibly let go.
Any suggestion of investment or training to improve service is generally frowned on or doubted, as this costs money. High achievers are not valued, as they are costly. They seem to prefer middle to low workers, people who maintain the status quo and have no interest in being the best. Promise of "OneAMEC", with projects all over is very empty - this does not happen to any but a few senior folk.

Learned to swallow pride and wander around the building begging PM's for work.
Good access to other AMEC employees and offices, though - can beg them for work via email.
good company
Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Oakville, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Avery good company but unfortunately the projects in mining industry are slowing down.
Enjoyable working environment
good co-worker relationship
international firm with little marketing
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 20, 2015
Cons: no marketing, poor leadership
estimating, master reports, client management, proposal, technical writing

sales, staff mentoring, senior review, training, presentations
Excellent and Professional environment
Sr. Buyer (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Good workplace and career building
Cons: Work is available as projects are in
AMEC is one of the best companies to work for, the vision and the people who lead this company are compromised with the excellence quality and safety culture in all the projects.
Great work place for engineering practice
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 18, 2015
Pros: A number of seminars
Cons: Short of work
Great work place for engineering practice, got more experiences from projects and colleagues.. A number of structures practised, more opportunities to deal with different type of structures.
Amec
IT Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2015
Laid off due to lack of Projects, Was a great company to work for over the past 6 years. Now looking for work either in the Oil Industries or out side it.
The staff are great supportive people
Project Expeditor - Kearl Suite of Projects (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJune 11, 2015
Pros: Safety oriented, Charities, Golf Tournaments and Lunch and Learns
Cons: Long hours due to work load
Work is fast paced, with a heavy work load.
AMEC is great to recognize your abilities and to advance you to the next level.
Co-workers are extremely supportive and many had a great sense of humor.
Hardest part of the job is getting through the workload - but good to be busy, you have to be very very organized.
Most enjoyable is getting involved with charities, golf tournament, lunch and learns.
I enjoy working at Amec. But sometimes changes are required, when performance is not taken into consideration when layoff are done - it is preference
Enginnering - Quality check (Former Employee), ABMarch 9, 2015
Pros: free gym
Cons: long hours
Productive and conducive to working environment. No micro-management. We are treated like matured people and I love going to work every day without any stress or tension. Management is very understanding. What I have learned is do ones work sincerely and you will be rewarded well. The hardest part of my job is when sometimes procedures are not in place. Enjoyable part is we are given a lot of freedom. As long as your results are good when they run reports on each of us.
Relaxed and Stress Free Work Envinronment
Lead Process Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 25, 2015
A pleasure to work at. Cordial employees and interesting mix of complex and simple projects. Focused primarily on upstream with a sprinkling of downstream projects.
I love what I am doing
Senior Instrument & Control Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 6, 2015
Pros: making good money
Cons: away of the family most of time
Working with AMEC is full of fun, enjoy making things happen, and push project through the schedule. Best day is the delivery day as we mostly prepared well, hardest day when change comes to the project late and reschedule our work. Worst day when we let one of the team go because of work slowing down. best ever enjoyable part of the job when first oil come.
AMEC FW is a good company to work for and the working practices are very similar to other EPC Contractors
Principal Piping Materials Engineer (Current Employee), Aberdeen, SKSeptember 13, 2015
AMEC FW, Aberdeen is a typical EPC Contractor working for various clients on Brownfield projects.
The company has well established working procedures aimed at achieving a quality product.
Co-workers are a blend of older experienced personnel and young graduate engineers.
Very productive with very high quality working environment
Electrical Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Great Team to work with.
Cons: N/A
Great working atmosphere with lots of very friendly and helpful people. Lots of internal training provided on an ongoing basis.
Top management and leadership.
Fast paced engineering solutions
Construction Management Support & Superintendent (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 3, 2015
Pros: resources and documentation at hand
Cons: frequent emergency solutions required
Coordination from concept to final design to construction. Typical day consists of confirming status of pending milestones/deadlines with suppliers/contractors and documenting detailed process of advancements with the design/construction of various subsystems.
politics
Risk Coordinator Lead (Current Employee), calgarySeptember 23, 2015
A company that values politics more than hard work, dedication and proven success of their employees.. in the end, whoever is the biggest suck up will remain.

Nothing else to say.. just sad.
Hard work but worth it
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 11, 2015
I was a lab tech there and I was busy constantly during the boom in Alberta. It was hard work and I enjoyed it, got tons of hours, recognition for hard work and my boss was great. I didn't want to leave but during the downturn I had no hours and had to move on.
Good company to work with
Senior Planner (Current Employee), Oakville, ONAugust 21, 2015
Good company to work with. Job security is the biggest challenge. Lay off's are common. Better chance to work with diverse group of professionals.
A very professional and well established and organized EPCM company
Senior Mechanical HVAC Designer & Specialist (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 24, 2015
Pros: It it a well organized company
Cons: Nothing
The company always emphasizes safety, excellence and innovation. Their human resources are so extensive that they can handle any EPCM projects.
Dynamic Work place where clients can be engaged on various aspects from proposal stage to reporting.
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 2, 2015
An ideal typical day of work starts with checking on engineers working in the filed on various projects that I am engaged in. Field work typically leads to reporting and analysis in the office. Upon report completion and the supervision of intermediate level engineers I am contacting clients to update them on project progress and following up for future work to be engaged in.

I have been dynamically engaged with various coworkers working in the filed and office to complete reporting and proposal writing. to complete reports and project work and hand in to the client on time and budget gives me satisfaction and sense of achievement.
Revenue