Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Typical EPC environment
Lead Piping Materials Engineer (Former Employee) –  CAlgary, AB3 January 2017
This is a typical EPC company with limited lateral or vertical movement. A good place to be in when the job market is hot. With a new CEO and changes up the management chain, AMEC is currently undergoing strategic changes.
Going downhill fast
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
Amec used to be a good place to work, but has gone downhill over the past couple of years since it merged with Foster Wheeler.

There is now very little job security, they preach work-life balance but expect staff to work long hours (including during their vacation), they preach integrity but don't always act with integrity. They are struggling to find work. Many staff are quitting, others are being terminated.

It's very disheartening to see how this company has changed.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No job security, lack of work currently, some senior management lack integrity and compassion.
good professional work place
Project Engineer, K+S Project - EPCM (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
excellent engineering company with lots of projects in the past. Like all other engineering companies slow and facing difficulties finding mining work. Many people laid off in GTA area
Pros
good work atmosphere when they have work
Cons
tough deadline when they have work
Review
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
Company encouraged growth for employees. Direct managers in the department I worked for recognized staff performance and encouraged development.
Good company
Senior Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Good company with a solid work, family culture. Good international connections and travel. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Amec and would recommend this employers to others.
good company to work for
Sr. Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2016
it is a good company to work for. good management team, have chances to work on mega projects with self developing opportunities.
Pros
mega projects
Cons
Bad management, not transparent on expectations.
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2016
Bad management in my experience. Was told the department had low moral and should have too that as a sign that I should have stayed aways. Was given mark ups at the end of day and told they needed them done by 9 am the next day and they complained when I worked overtime to get it done.

No real training offered and expected to create a worming civil 3d template as I was trying to produce drawings.

In total a bad experience.
Pros
Good benifits.
Cons
Not realistic on dead lines.
good wages, good people
Document Management Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2016
Good company to work for when the oil and gas industry is going well. Environment has been difficult as the market has slumped. Many people have been laid off.
Productive, engaging and felt valued
Senior Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2016
A typical day on project can be very occupied at the height of the project. I learnt a lot about forecasts, actuals, budgets, variances, FTEs, KPIs, compliance, audits, change orders, project baseline scope and estimates. Management was keen and kept asking questions to make sure the project is progressing within guidelines with proper authority, controls and as planned. One of the challenging part of the job was being pulled in different directions at many a times during the course of the project. Nonetheless, it was rewarding as well as hectic at times. As I look back at it, it was good and refreshing as it never stays the same.
Pros
Free jackets, souvenirs, occassional lunches and treats.
Cons
Occassional hours during C'mas holidays.
Great company to work for.
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
Had it not been for the recession and massive layoffs, I would have stayed with Amec Foster Wheeler. It is a great company to work for.
no work/life balance
Civil Engineer Technologist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 September 2016
get good benefits, and work environment is very good but no life/work balance. Work hours are very flexible. some days are very easy going at work. Enjoy most part of the job.
Safety oriented company with good WLB.
project Accuntant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 September 2016
3.5years at Amec was good. Safety first. commendable Communications with staff about company's performance. Pay not fantastic, great people, good team
Pros
safety conscious, DDOs, Good culture
Cons
Pay below average, limited growth
Easy place to work
Biologist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 September 2016
Company is full of knowledgeable people. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement and work on numerous projects within the province and throughout the world.
Nice Team work environment
EDMS Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
Good company to work for. Tries to do the right thing for there employees. As they hire people on for projects, they tend to get rid of these same people when projects are complete.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Getting rid of permanent employees at end of project
Body shop outfit without a corporate identity of its own.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2016
Company is horribly managed as workers have no direction nor opportunity to grow. Political hires make the majority of management staff and rewards are not at all performance based. Company primarily focuses on billing hours and not provide quality service for clients.
Excellent company, great energy and team work. Very enjoyable workplace.
Co-op Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2016
My experience with AMEC was great! I learned a great deal about Process Engineering. I worked with a team of great people. I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with AMEC and would love to work for them full time now that I have graduated chemical engineering (Co-op).
Pros
Gained valuable experience and worked with some great people
Cons
Absolutely NO cons
Cooperative environment which lead to less stress full day work
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2016
Learning to use Prosteel to produce 3D models was the most exciting part of my job. Helpful colleague and understanding project leads made it enjoyable experience.
Pros
Work/ Life balance was good
great working environment
Lab Technician assistant (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON16 June 2016
great company too work for. friendly and welcoming. nice intro in too a construction type job. opened a few doors for other employment
Very team work orientated
Senior Administrator & Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, Ontario. Canada12 June 2016
Working for Amec Foster Wheeler is a pleasure. Each day is a new day, you never know what your walking in to which keeps things very interesting. Management are very supportive and have an open door policy, no question is a stupid question and any work issues are dealt with immediately. We are a team orientated work force and always willing to help each other out. Hardest part of my job is stopping the boss from buying cakes and sweets to give away and the most enjoyable is the feeling of satisfaction I have at the end of my day.
Pros
Good benefits and occasional free lunches
Multicultural Company looking after multi Billion dollar projects
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER\ SYSTEM STUDY LEAD (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 June 2016
I enjoyed my tasks in this company. As a lead, supervised and consulted junior/senior electrical engineers and educated them regarding system studies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amec Foster Wheeler. Our community is ready to answer.