Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Great folks, leadership?
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 March 2016
Days are long, weekends are short or non-existent when you happen to fill a role that is deemed required. Hard work and commitment is not recognized either by a salary increase or simple thank you.
Pros
DDO program, great people
Cons
Lacking true leadership focused on improving the organization (office)
Hard-working people, lots of integrity.
Lead technical writer/editor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
I appreciated the people of this job I did at AMEC.
I learn new tools and did what I love best, editing engineering reports according to strict standards.
Pros
I learn new tools and did what I love best, edit engineering reports according to standards
Cons
Ambiguity about the future
Good company
Senior Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Good company with a solid work, family culture. Good international connections and travel. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Amec and would recommend this employers to others.
good professional work place
Project Engineer, K+S Project - EPCM (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
excellent engineering company with lots of projects in the past. Like all other engineering companies slow and facing difficulties finding mining work. Many people laid off in GTA area
Pros
good work atmosphere when they have work
Cons
tough deadline when they have work
Great company to work for!
Section Manager & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2016
Great place to work for. Good benefits. Great staff and management team. A lot of oppurtunities to work in different areas of the company
Great group of people to work with.
Architectural Designer / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS4 January 2017
My time at Amec Foster Wheeler was very enjoyable. It is a multidisciplined company and I enjoyed working with the people on many varied and diverse projects.
Generally a climate of anxiety for job retention and a lot of pressure to complete packages in unrealistic timescales
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary5 February 2015
There is little or no job security which does affect the way people work... why bother to go the extra mile for people who don't care if I still have a job tomorrow... Loyalty is for a select few.
Safety is a joke really... the culture seems to be about getting a quota of Near Miss Reports in irrespective of the quality to get a reward each month... it does little to improve anything. Other safety is based on parenting skills... and worrying about women's footwear!
Not a company of first choice!

That said, while you have a job... the money and benefits are good... that's more down to the Client paying for it rather than AMEC...

Planning and time scales- issues both with AMEC and their Client lead to unrealistic timescales for completions and that leads to great stress - those who can't cope or kick back seem not to be around the following Monday......
Pros
Salary benefits
Cons
Job security
Good
Senior Architect (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2016
Good work environment
Average management team
High office politics
High turnover
Less room to grow
Benefits are very good
Long work hours
Good career growth
Senior Instrumentation and Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2016
Provided an excellent opportunity to work on multiple large scale oil & gas projects. Very good project management team and long term client relationship.
Pros
Great Team work
Cons
Compensation rate is less
Great
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 February 2016
One of the best jobs I had with a great paying company along with great benefits and great co-workers. Training and procedures given .
Review
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
Company encouraged growth for employees. Direct managers in the department I worked for recognized staff performance and encouraged development.
Easy place to work
Biologist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 September 2016
Company is full of knowledgeable people. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement and work on numerous projects within the province and throughout the world.
Safety oriented company with good WLB.
project Accuntant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 September 2016
3.5years at Amec was good. Safety first. commendable Communications with staff about company's performance. Pay not fantastic, great people, good team
Pros
safety conscious, DDOs, Good culture
Cons
Pay below average, limited growth
Body shop outfit without a corporate identity of its own.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2016
Company is horribly managed as workers have no direction nor opportunity to grow. Political hires make the majority of management staff and rewards are not at all performance based. Company primarily focuses on billing hours and not provide quality service for clients.
Good experience, provide training for their competitors
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 November 2012
My experience with the company overall wasn't a very good one. You're compensated fairly well for the work, but there were ever changing expectations with poor communication.
Your office/work environment differed from discipline to discipline as well as regional offices. My office was based in London, Ontario, but environment was toxic and uninviting. Having travelled to other offices, it became apparent that there was more of a sense of comradery. May have been due to management styles. Projects made huge margins, but managers claimed poverty, pushed billable time to unethical situations.
Pros
compensation, project experience, training
Cons
management issues, poor communication, unnecessary stress
good wages, good people
Document Management Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2016
Good company to work for when the oil and gas industry is going well. Environment has been difficult as the market has slumped. Many people have been laid off.
Very Professionally Managed Company
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB. Canada11 September 2015
Working for AMEC greatly enhanced my knowledge and furthered my career. My time at AMEC was the most fun I've had in my career.

This company is great to work for and would highly recommend it to anyone considering working for them.
Pros
Excellent benefits plan. Good Management.
Cons
None to mention.
Excellent company, great energy and team work. Very enjoyable workplace.
Co-op Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2016
My experience with AMEC was great! I learned a great deal about Process Engineering. I worked with a team of great people. I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with AMEC and would love to work for them full time now that I have graduated chemical engineering (Co-op).
Pros
Gained valuable experience and worked with some great people
Cons
Absolutely NO cons
productive and fun working place
CITRIX SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2016
-very productive and it was a great place to be part of
-very relaxed environment
-friendly and helpful co-workers
-great salary
Great company to work for.
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
Had it not been for the recession and massive layoffs, I would have stayed with Amec Foster Wheeler. It is a great company to work for.

78%