Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Hard-working people, lots of integrity.
Lead technical writer/editor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
I appreciated the people of this job I did at AMEC.
I learn new tools and did what I love best, editing engineering reports according to strict standards.
Pros
I learn new tools and did what I love best, edit engineering reports according to standards
Cons
Ambiguity about the future
Great place to get experience
Environmental Technician and Safety Personnel (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2017
Very welcoming workplace. Staff and management were great. There was always challenging work and research to do. Learned how to work in a faced paced chemical lab with time constraints.
Pros
challenging work
Cons
no real cons
Geotechnical Engineering
Senior Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2017
This is a geotechnical part of the company. The routine job was to approval of various test results of soil, concrete and investigation reports of foundations certification

Practical knowledge of soil mechanics. The behavior of soil in different loading condition, Subsurface investigation for all types of building foundation, roads, bridges, runways including land development.
Overall well-managed company, acceptable workplace culture, dealing with the inaccessible ground in the deep winter is the hardest part of job and also such places has less fun.
Pros
Job is secured. A great place to improve knowledge of geotechnical engineering.
Cons
In geotechnical profession, salary and benifit not much encouraging. No advancement.
A well paying and has a good business plan
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
A well managed company that is focused on the clients to bring the best in class performances. I would highly recommend anyone to work for AMEC with an excellent reputation in project management and engineering.
Challenging and diverse projects with diverse teams
Senior Project Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 February 2017
Days were dynamic with new challenges arising and problems to solve. Atmosphere was very team oriented. Very diverse cultural environment with people from all over the world.
Pros
Challenging with opportunity for both personal and professional growth.
Cons
Time demands, sudden and erratic overtime requirements
A world class Company with a great work environment
Occupation Health & Safety advisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 February 2017
This was a Fly In - Fly Out assignment that provided excellent accommodation and recreational facilities. Even with the rigid schedule that is required to meet our schedule shift requirements, there are enough options for workers to relax and be ready to start work at the beginning of the next shift.
underground experience was awesome ant the assembled team was extremely knowledgeable
Field Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rocanville Sask13 February 2017
the people and work conditions were probably unbeatable. The management team was also very Very supportive! The safety team and everything needed to do the job was readily available!
Pros
travel provided to airport
Cons
travelling on highway
good job
Associate Consultant / Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
Typical day- Review projects, meet with staff, prepare proposals, hold safety meetings, develop client relation, review contracts.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
downturn in the economy, loss of business
productive
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 January 2017
The Company offers good health benefits and RRSP matching program. I have had the fortune of working with excellent members of Management who have mentored me and encouraged my personal and professional growth.
Management needs improving
Civil 3D operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 January 2017
I was working in AmecFW as a Junior level CAD designer to support two senior designers and engineers with Civil 3D 2014 and 2016.

Everybody was busy and everybody carried their own working preference rather than same consistent standards. Nobody knew project scheduling and standard budget hours until the final date come.

There was CADD manual for designing work but nobody followed.

I believe there should be a CAD manager who can coordinate designer work. However overall the company is great company with busy project keep coming in.
Pros
free lunch once a month with safety meeting
Great place to work!
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Ontario18 January 2017
Pros
RRSP matching, health & dental, gym reimbursement
Cons
limited to none salary increases
fairly good company
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2017
I would rate Amec Foster Wheeler is a fairly good company to work at. If you work hard and demonstrate your capability, you would have chance to be involve in different area.
Good job work/life balance
Department Manager, elec/instrument engineering (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 January 2017
Has flexible hours as long as preferred work shift falls within the core hours.
Lots of training available online.
Has strong safety and social culture.
Strong technical collaboration between branches.
Pros
Diversity in the workplace
Cons
Short breaks
Great group of people to work with.
Architectural Designer / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS4 January 2017
My time at Amec Foster Wheeler was very enjoyable. It is a multidisciplined company and I enjoyed working with the people on many varied and diverse projects.
Typical EPC environment
Lead Piping Materials Engineer (Former Employee) –  CAlgary, AB3 January 2017
This is a typical EPC company with limited lateral or vertical movement. A good place to be in when the job market is hot. With a new CEO and changes up the management chain, AMEC is currently undergoing strategic changes.
Going downhill fast
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2016
Amec used to be a good place to work, but has gone downhill over the past couple of years since it merged with Foster Wheeler.

There is now very little job security, they preach work-life balance but expect staff to work long hours (including during their vacation), they preach integrity but don't always act with integrity. They are struggling to find work. Many staff are quitting, others are being terminated.

It's very disheartening to see how this company has changed.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No job security, lack of work currently, some senior management lack integrity and compassion.
good professional work place
Project Engineer, K+S Project - EPCM (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
excellent engineering company with lots of projects in the past. Like all other engineering companies slow and facing difficulties finding mining work. Many people laid off in GTA area
Pros
good work atmosphere when they have work
Cons
tough deadline when they have work
Review
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2016
Company encouraged growth for employees. Direct managers in the department I worked for recognized staff performance and encouraged development.
Good company
Senior Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Good company with a solid work, family culture. Good international connections and travel. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Amec and would recommend this employers to others.
good company to work for
Sr. Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2016
it is a good company to work for. good management team, have chances to work on mega projects with self developing opportunities.
Pros
mega projects
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amec Foster Wheeler. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval