Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Professional and multidisciplinary working environment
Lead Structural Engineer (P.Eng., Struct.Eng.) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 23, 2014
• Managed transmission and distribution projects for BC Hydro
as an external engineering service provider
• Developed civil and structural aspects of project plans
• Followed project management process and procedures
• Member of JOSH (Joint Occupational Safety and Health)
Committee
• Experienced in safety by design and safety during construction
• Monitored and controlled project schedules
• Worked based on the project budget and controlled the cost
• Developed, managed and supervised structural engineering
teams
• Coordinated with other engineering disciplines like as electrical,
mechanical , environmental and construction
• Developed, implemented and maintained design standards,
guides and procedures
• Designed structural elements of the projects
• Reviewed, stamped and finalized structural engineering
drawings
• Reviewed and analyzed estimates and MTOs (Material Take
Offs)
• Defined tender documents and carried out technical evaluation
in bidding process
• Attended meetings with clients and contractors
• Inspected and oversaw projects during construction
• Responded to NCRs (Non Compliance Reports), resolved non-
conformance issues at site
• Responded to RFIs (Requests For Information), managed
change orders
• Familiar with Canadian and US codes and BC Hydro standards
and procedures
Top heavy management where negativity trickles down and there is no room to grow.
GIS Technician/Archaeologist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 7, 2014
Decent 9 to 5 hours for those with family *unless in the lab then you have stupid hours, albeit with overtime*
Salary is over-average for the region which is nice and the benefits pckg is why so many people tough it out there, it's good. Good overtime offers for many.

Job security is minimal, linked entirely to your 'chargeability', so you have to make them money. Not charging enough hours to a project and you get called out, told to improve (as if you have control over this) or possibly let go.
Any suggestion of investment or training to improve service is generally frowned on or doubted, as this costs money. High achievers are not valued, as they are costly. They seem to prefer middle to low workers, people who maintain the status quo and have no interest in being the best. Promise of "OneAMEC", with projects all over is very empty - this does not happen to any but a few senior folk.

Learned to swallow pride and wander around the building begging PM's for work.
Good access to other AMEC employees and offices, though - can beg them for work via email.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
top-heavy managment, too many mediocre project managers, fear of technology
A good place to work. Good focus on employees.
Environment & Infrastructure, Associate Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 31, 2013
I am involved in the PM duties of three projects (two government clients and one private sector) in Calgary that include my technical and management skills in assisting with the preparation of regulatory applications and project related scoping studies.

I also share/coordinate PM duties for three EA applications for AMEC clients in BC. Duties are shared with AMEC staff in our BC offices. My role is as a mentor and facilitator to assist as well in communications with the client and helping staff to understand project scope and focus on baseline and assessment duties.
My typical day starts early and is constant communications and management of personnel and project tasks including a lot of work I do as well. Hardest part of the job is balancing priorities and keeping staff on track and focused on schedules and budgets.

Hardest part of the job is keeping up to the many demands, balancing all the meetings and still getting work completed!

Enjoyable part is being able to get some of my own tasks completed.
Pros
office is close to my home and commute is short
Cons
hours and expectations (perhaps some of my own) are long!
Project Control Manager - Cover Letter
Project Controls Manager (Current Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 27, 2015
Kindly note that I am managing the Project Controls for more than 12 years. I have experience on PMC, EPCM, and EPC of Oil and Gas, Buildings, Chemicals, Petrochemicals, and Mines and Refineries Projects. I am expert in Planning, Scheduling, Cost Controlling, and Project Controls and have leadership in Project Engineering, Procurement, Contracts, Controls, and Construction.

My Controls Management covers Projects of more than 10 Billion USD contract value.
I am highly skilled in Planning and Progress Monitoring, Cost Controls, Plans and Budgets, Commitments, Payments and Expenditures, and Margin Analysis, and can set up the Project Controls System and develop and implement the controls procedures in any kind of project.

Change Management of Budgets and Trends, Variations, and impact on Contingency and TIC are also part of my experience, in addition to the Risk Management, Causes and Effects, impact on Cost and Schedule, and mitigation Strategies.
Generally a climate of anxiety for job retention and a lot of pressure to complete packages in unrealistic timescales
Manager (Former Employee) –  CalgaryFebruary 5, 2015
There is little or no job security which does affect the way people work... why bother to go the extra mile for people who don't care if I still have a job tomorrow... Loyalty is for a select few.
Safety is a joke really... the culture seems to be about getting a quota of Near Miss Reports in irrespective of the quality to get a reward each month... it does little to improve anything. Other safety is based on parenting skills... and worrying about women's footwear!
Not a company of first choice!

That said, while you have a job... the money and benefits are good... that's more down to the Client paying for it rather than AMEC...

Planning and time scales- issues both with AMEC and their Client lead to unrealistic timescales for completions and that leads to great stress - those who can't cope or kick back seem not to be around the following Monday......
Pros
salary benefits
Cons
job security
Good experience, provide training for their competitors
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 19, 2012
My experience with the company overall wasn't a very good one. You're compensated fairly well for the work, but there were ever changing expectations with poor communication.
Your office/work environment differed from discipline to discipline as well as regional offices. My office was based in London, Ontario, but environment was toxic and uninviting. Having travelled to other offices, it became apparent that there was more of a sense of comradery. May have been due to management styles. Projects made huge margins, but managers claimed poverty, pushed billable time to unethical situations.
Pros
compensation, project experience, training
Cons
management issues, poor communication, unnecessary stress
Dynamic Work place where clients can be engaged on various aspects from proposal stage to reporting.
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 2, 2015
An ideal typical day of work starts with checking on engineers working in the filed on various projects that I am engaged in. Field work typically leads to reporting and analysis in the office. Upon report completion and the supervision of intermediate level engineers I am contacting clients to update them on project progress and following up for future work to be engaged in.

I have been dynamically engaged with various coworkers working in the filed and office to complete reporting and proposal writing. to complete reports and project work and hand in to the client on time and budget gives me satisfaction and sense of achievement.
• More than 15 years working experience for Electrical design and drafting
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2014
Responsible to create and update electrical single line diagrams, preparing area classification drawings in coordination with electrical engineers and other discipline engineers. Preparing electrical drawings including schematics drawing, wiring diagrams, motor control schematics, electrical installation details and panel schedules. Create and update grounding layout, lighting/panel layout, electrical equipment layout to meet applicable codes and client specifications. Input data into SmartPlant Electrical (SPEL), maintain SPEL database and generating cable schedule, reporte equipment list, load list and motor datasheet.
Great work environment, talented people with great skills
Canada - Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2014
Typical day at work is getting up before sunrise, driving 1 hour to work at the mine site. The hours worked are long, typical day spent outside the home is 15 hours. Once at work, your motivated by the people around you, it is a fast paced environment, must be able to react and solve issues within hours. The best aspect of the work is conversing with all my colleagues. The people I have met during my stay at AMEC Foster Wheeler are definitely the greatest asset to the company. Extremely knowledgeable, both at and away from the work place. The most enjoyable part of day is saying good-bye to the day shift.
Pros
lunch and learns
Cons
Professional and fun to work.
Mechanical/Piping designer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SkMarch 14, 2015
Easy going and highly professional work culture, easy to
approach people from other disciplines willing and helpful for any thing related to the projects. strict in budgeted time(which is always the norm in every EPCM company) and
freedom to work extra hours if necessary to meet deadlines and submissions of packages. to summarize, deliver, deliver, deliver,
good company activities in and out of the work place, good community involvements with voluntary employee participation. very lenient in approving extra days off. in general I believed they offer a balanced lifestyle in that particular office.
Pros
lunch & learn, and co. training
Cons
longgg winter.
AMEC was an excemt place to work who were fair and offered excellent compensation.
E&I Engineer, Detour Lake Project Nothern Ontario (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ONJune 12, 2012
A typical day at work was working with contruction management team to kept the project on schedule and on budget

I learned to work with construction trade workers and to keep them on track.

I learned to work a a member of the constriction management team and enjoyed woking with like minded pprofessionls.

The hardest part of the job was anticipating what problems may occur in the future and solving them before they became an issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people who were just intered in getting the job done.
I enjoy working at Amec. But sometimes changes are required, when performance is not taken into consideration when layoff are done - it is preference
Enginnering - Quality check (Former Employee) –  ABMarch 9, 2015
Productive and conducive to working environment. No micro-management. We are treated like matured people and I love going to work every day without any stress or tension. Management is very understanding. What I have learned is do ones work sincerely and you will be rewarded well. The hardest part of my job is when sometimes procedures are not in place. Enjoyable part is we are given a lot of freedom. As long as your results are good when they run reports on each of us.
Pros
free gym
A lot of Lacking of Management, Nepotism
Ex-employee Sr. Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 19, 2013
Not really stable company to work for. Heavy environment, a lot of politics, …nepotism.
The project manager and his wife (who is his assistant) travel back and forth to South America for their convenience at company’s expenses. Some designers have a lot of power to influence managers, even though they are rude, conflicting, and unprofessional. A lot of layoffs. Managers yelling to employees in front of everybody, … unprofessional behavior. Crisis within the electrical department in Calgary.
Pros
some friendly colleagues
Cons
poor management
Close group of people, almost Family
Document Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 24, 2014
I have enjoyed working here, the people are great very open and friendly, by far one of the better companies I have worked for. Management is at the same level as the employees, so one acts or is seen to be superior. Their doors are open at all times and there is an ease in communicating with them.
The DMG group worked collaboratively together, we were an effective team and also were able to come together and have some fun, potlucks and birthday celebrations.
Pros
great people, great safety program, they care about the people
Cons
project life the end is innevitable
Company has a great professional environment to work, great resources, management accessible and friendly.
Electrical Lead (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONSeptember 3, 2015
- the flexible work time with a core schedule to fulfill provides great motivation to the people and the client.
- working face to face with the client provides a challenge to satisfy their needs, fulfilling the right procedures.
- communication from management to our people is key to get ownership and commitment to the project.
- all co-workers and client worked as one team, which was key for the success of the project.
Pros
Good resources, good office accommodation, team work was great!
Professional respectful environment
Project Controller / IT (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 15, 2015
Amec Foster Wheeler is a good place to work with internal education structure that fosters self improvement.
Clear focus on critical path and high on HSSE standards.
Currently undergoing many changes with the new merger (Amec and Foster Wheeler have merged to become Amec Foster Wheeler).
This particular job can be slow during downturns, and just the opposite when larger projects are approved, par for the business!
Co-workers are friendly, professional and co-operative for the most part.
Pros
Great beneifts
Cons
Sometimes lack direction
Overall assessment, my job @ amec was very challenging but with my skill and expertise I could finish the project on time and less budget.
Electrical & Control Designer / Drafter (Current Employee) –  111 Dunsmuir Vancouver, BCMay 12, 2013
I'm very much enjoying my day at AMEC because my colleague were very supportive specially to my projects. I learned a lot from their experiences and how to handle stress situation effectively. The hardest part of my job was when the software I'm using got crushed and takes time to put in normal condition.
Pros
we are entitled to have a free foods every friday morning at 10am
Cons
sometimes multiple project to finish at the same time.
A company that you will consider to work continuously, until you retire
Lead Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 4, 2015
Employees are very focus on their daily assignment. Amec will provide you training that is related to your discipline. The management is making sure that people in the projects are proactive and work hard to finish the job on time and meet the budget.

My co-workers are very respectful with each other. Very cooperative and are team players.

The hardest part of the job was we were short of staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that the management recognized the value of quality work.
The work was very satisfying, and the company appreciated the output
Utilities construction lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Oakville, Kearl siteJune 16, 2014
A typical day
Attend safety & warmup sessions
Review any urgent e-mai
walk site to see the activities on-going & see the compliance to schedule
Attend meetings construction review
Attend review of engineeriing status
Monitor site activity to approve execution
All activities that did not progress were a concern
All activities that progressed well gave satisfaction
Staff are in general very good to get along
Pros
as contractor, were part of the group and participated in co. functions
Not a place to really make money. Made me go back to school to further myself
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2014
My tenure there was not a great experience. I was left to my own devices on how to work and what my duties were, which was the opposite of what I was told when I was interviewed. Management was not very involved on what people in my division were doing and created a negative work culture. Good thing was that it introduced to the safety side of work and made me go back to school for Occupational Health and Safety
Pros
work in different divisions
Cons
lack of work, no projects were bid on