Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews in Canada

A day at Amec
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work is doing laboratory testing of aggregates.Preparing test results and reporting to clients. I learned to deal with different personalities especially during site visits. My co workers are awesome to work with because we have a good working relationship .The hardest part of the job is driving in a remote site and long hours of work. The most enjoyable part of the job is of course is when you see your paycheck
Pros
good benifits
Cons
Collaborative Results oriented drama free environment
electrical engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 21, 2015
Well managed in Vancouver. Exceptional team environment focussed on obtaining results the right way. Generous training allowance.

Friday donut sessions with performance and safety moments - promotes excellent communication between staff and management.
Pros
collaborative team environment, makes it a pleasure to work here
Cons
long hours, no job security, cutbacks in benefits and stagnant wages
Great folks, leadership?
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 23, 2016
Days are long, weekends are short or non-existent when you happen to fill a role that is deemed required. Hard work and commitment is not recognized either by a salary increase or simple thank you.
Pros
DDO program, great people
Cons
Lacking true leadership focused on improving the organization (office)
Great company to work for!
Section Manager & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Great place to work for. Good benefits. Great staff and management team. A lot of oppurtunities to work in different areas of the company
Good
Senior Architect (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2016
Good work environment
Average management team
High office politics
High turnover
Less room to grow
Benefits are very good
Long work hours
Good career growth
Senior Instrumentation and Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Provided an excellent opportunity to work on multiple large scale oil & gas projects. Very good project management team and long term client relationship.
Pros
Great Team work
Cons
Compensation rate is less
Great
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 25, 2016
One of the best jobs I had with a great paying company along with great benefits and great co-workers. Training and procedures given .
productive and fun working place
CITRIX SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 12, 2016
-very productive and it was a great place to be part of
-very relaxed environment
-friendly and helpful co-workers
-great salary
Very Professionally Managed Company
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB. CanadaSeptember 11, 2015
Working for AMEC greatly enhanced my knowledge and furthered my career. My time at AMEC was the most fun I've had in my career.

This company is great to work for and would highly recommend it to anyone considering working for them.
Pros
Excellent benefits plan. Good Management.
Cons
None to mention.
Very team work orientated
Senior Administrator & Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, Ontario. CanadaJune 12, 2016
Working for Amec Foster Wheeler is a pleasure. Each day is a new day, you never know what your walking in to which keeps things very interesting. Management are very supportive and have an open door policy, no question is a stupid question and any work issues are dealt with immediately. We are a team orientated work force and always willing to help each other out. Hardest part of my job is stopping the boss from buying cakes and sweets to give away and the most enjoyable is the feeling of satisfaction I have at the end of my day.
Pros
Good benefits and occasional free lunches
Amec Foster Wheeler provides a full range of services to the oil sands industry
Lead Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta CanadaFebruary 18, 2016
Amec Foster Wheeler provides a full range of services to the oil sands industry, from initial studies and environmental consulting through to operator training and management of some of the largest construction projects in North America.

Amec Foster Wheeler has worked on almost every mineable lease in Canada since development of the industry in the 1950s. Our reputation in the application of new and established technologies means we are the pre-eminent provider of initial studies, design, environmental consulting, engineering, project management, construction services and operator training. Our areas of expertise span not only mineable extraction and in-situ bitumen production (using SAGD or other technologies) but also pipelines, power generation and infrastructure for bitumen extraction plants.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Job insecurity due to nature of the business
Average place to work,
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 30, 2016
Amec Foster Wheeler are a fair company.
Typical day at work is fun and enjoyable.
Management could be better as in honesty, typical large corporation attitude by management.
Co workers are good to work with, young group that need to be mentored by seniors with extensive experience.
Hardest part of job , dealing with management systems, need to be refined.
Pros
Pleasant enough atmosphere, convienient location.
Cons
Never being told that it was a job well done.
Excellent company, great energy and team work. Very enjoyable workplace.
Co-op Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2016
My experience with AMEC was great! I learned a great deal about Process Engineering. I worked with a team of great people. I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with AMEC and would love to work for them full time now that I have graduated chemical engineering (Co-op).
Pros
Gained valuable experience and worked with some great people
Cons
Absolutely NO cons
Fun
Design Engineer - Electrical (Former Employee) –  kuwaitApril 2, 2016
i had been working with great co-worker and nice management level for more than 3 years which they give me great support and punch of information and you could stay in touch with all your friends and managers after when you leave coz we being as such great family and doing good job together
Generally a climate of anxiety for job retention and a lot of pressure to complete packages in unrealistic timescales
Manager (Former Employee) –  CalgaryFebruary 5, 2015
There is little or no job security which does affect the way people work... why bother to go the extra mile for people who don't care if I still have a job tomorrow... Loyalty is for a select few.
Safety is a joke really... the culture seems to be about getting a quota of Near Miss Reports in irrespective of the quality to get a reward each month... it does little to improve anything. Other safety is based on parenting skills... and worrying about women's footwear!
Not a company of first choice!

That said, while you have a job... the money and benefits are good... that's more down to the Client paying for it rather than AMEC...

Planning and time scales- issues both with AMEC and their Client lead to unrealistic timescales for completions and that leads to great stress - those who can't cope or kick back seem not to be around the following Monday......
Pros
salary benefits
Cons
job security
Body shop outfit without a corporate identity of its own.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2016
Company is horribly managed as workers have no direction nor opportunity to grow. Political hires make the majority of management staff and rewards are not at all performance based. Company primarily focuses on billing hours and not provide quality service for clients.
Multiculture, harmonized, continuous learning environment
SENIOR BUYER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 28, 2016
- good cooperation with functional departments
- excellent cooperation and collaboration with each discipline
- good management system in place
- motivated work environment
Nice Team work environment
EDMS Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2016
Good company to work for. Tries to do the right thing for there employees. As they hire people on for projects, they tend to get rid of these same people when projects are complete.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Getting rid of permanent employees at end of project
Cooperative environment which lead to less stress full day work
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 22, 2016
Learning to use Prosteel to produce 3D models was the most exciting part of my job. Helpful colleague and understanding project leads made it enjoyable experience.
Pros
Work/ Life balance was good
A great company to work
Senior PDMS structural designer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONApril 5, 2016
Working on large projects with leading edge engineering tool. the management were very supportive. Co-works were easy communicate. Enjoy going into office everyday.