Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

Nice working enviorment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2017
Great coworkers and nice environment. I would definitely suggest candidate to work here. Well organized working process and you do get lots of vacation in this company.
Great management and fun working environment.
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK30 August 2017
AMEC FW provides a great work to life balance with a fun working environment. The management team are great mentors with their employees as their priority. Some jobs are better than others, however overall the quality of work at AMEC FW is great.
was a great place to work.
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 August 2017
I worked as an electrical engineer under different teams with great engineers. Our main client was BC Hydro. So I had the chance to get familiar with BC Hydro standards, process and guidelines.
A busy and challenging work everyday
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Kuwait13 August 2017
Busy but challenging work everyday. I have learned to manage my time properly and prioritize tasks to be done. The management is good with all the managers being supportive to growth of each and every employee. Hardest part of the job is I have to adjust to middle east culture and deal with co-workers who came from different parts of the globe. The most enjoyable part is was able to learn more new experience and skills everyday.
Pros
Free Medical Benefits
Cons
Strict Rules in Kuwait
Good people, too much management
Electrical Engineer (EIT) and Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2017
All around good company to work for, projects are interesting. Advancement is good, but bottlenecked by large quantity of management. Only real issue with them is that there's too much management who try and micromanage everything.
It's a good experience to work in Potash Mining Project in Saskatoon.
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 July 2017
My new job in Amec Foster Wheeler Saskatoon is entirely different from my previous job in the Middle East and in the Philippines. This is my first time to work in mining company and the system is a litle bit different from my previous experience especially on the design of Electrical Modular Substation wherein my previous experience are mostly on stick built Electrical Substation. The new technology for the Design of Modular Electrical Room including the Heat Tracing system is an added knowledge to me.
Pros
Learn new technology and sometimes free lunch during lunch & learn session.
Cons
Most of the time attending meetings both in design & project execution.
Excellent place to learn and grow
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 July 2017
I have had nothing but an excellent experience working for Amec Foster Wheeler.
Lots of opportunities to learn both professionally and personally.
Flexible with work and family responsibilities.
Pros
flexibility, large mentoring program
Cons
consulting in general is demanding.
Good company to work.
GIS Specialist on EIAs (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Great opportunity and flexibility to work in different roles across the country with a wide variety of customers in the E & I industry. Opportunities to get site/hands on experience.
Systematic Work nature, good team with complete workability
Document Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shuaiba, Kuwait7 July 2017
A global company to work with. Systematic Work nature, good team with complete workability. All nationality persons in the both management and execution teams. Major Clients in Kuwait are KOC & KNPC.
Nice place to work
Intermediate Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 July 2017
Very good company and great prosperity opportunity. International company with possible opportunity to move around the world, Flexible hours and very professional
Unqualified supervisor and poor management
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 June 2017
Unqualified supervisor with no project management skills, only knows micromanage team members. Branch manager has no intention to correct the problem, nor the other project managers are aware of the wrong people in the wrong position situation. Special treatment to people who have connection to VP level, Unrealistic budget of most small projects, wrong hiring decisions and company culture is very conservative, not open minded.
Pros
fair medical coverage
Cons
culture is narrow minded and management team doesn't have courage to correct problems
Very professional team and good environment to work with.
Architectural Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
AMEC is one of the best engineering companies and well recognized in OIL & GAS with design and fabrication expertise. AMEC has projects all over the world and offers very appealing opportunities.
Pros
Very professional engineering company.
Cons
Difficult to communicate properly with some managenent levels.
Meh
Engineering Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 June 2017
Not the best experience. Not the worst. Department went downhill. Manager didn't care. Really disorganized. Bad moral ethics. No encouragement. No recognition. Underpaid. No salary increase. Cheap. Overcharging clients. Charging clients on projects we shouldn't because too cheap to charge O/H.
Team Oriented Professional Organization
Contracts Administrator, Oakville (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 June 2017
- "put safety first" workplace culture
- great management support
- lack of work
- low job security
- happy to work here
- wonderful "Designated Days Off" program
Pros
Lunch & Learn Programs
Cons
Lack of work
High paced skilled engineering consulting firm
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2017
Work is very technical and competitively awarded.
Employees are very skilled and many are experts in their field.

As consulting firm, work is competitive and often times not enough hours are provided for project managers to perform their duties effectively.
Pros
Great benefits and diverse culture
Cons
Hours can be long depending on client needs
Great Company To Work For
Project Controls Progress Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2017
I worked for AMEC FW for just over 11 years. Employees were treated well, with plenty of room for advancement, training and a good home/worklife balance.
Could benefit from management changes
Quality Assurance Document Checker / Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Managers are chosen based on relationships and needs, not on professional competence or merit. No meritocracy at all. The company does not to seem to have a clear business plan. Its culture is to get rid of its competitor by buying them out (hence its name: AMEC - AMalgamated Engineering Companies).
Pros
Company seemed to have a good reputation
Cons
Bad work environment. Very confrontational..
Challenging Oil & Gas projects
Structural Engineer / Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2017
I worked in Civil/ Structural department on the 1 billion dollars big project designing steel modules and providing support to the chief estimator.

The part of my job was to coordinate with other departments such as mechanical, electrical, architectural and HVAC. That helped me to learn a lot about big oil and gas projects.

At that time I received a lot of extra hours to work.

It was challenging project that required detail oriented, knowledgeable and hard working person.

For this job I received a lot of compliments from the chief estimator.
Distribution Designer
Distribution Designer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2017
It was good but poor management and no job security. Good part about Amec is flexible hours but the management was poor. As a consultants everyone tried to steal money from projects being approved by clients.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Work Management
Good work environment and very indepedent
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 April 2017
Go out to site after grabbing the equipment from the office. While at site complete a concrete test or compaction test (not complicating work). May be asked to receive soil samples fro proctors for future compaction. When done for the day, hand in the paper work to the office. Good employees and employer
Pros
Really good employees to work with and good employer
Cons
Can be Long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amec Foster Wheeler. Our community is ready to answer.