Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
the most enjoyable part of the job
Piping Designer / Checker (Former Employee), Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMay 6, 2015
I had the opportunity of working for Piping and Process discipline in the same project. First time I worked inside Process discipline, so I learned a lot and provided help as a mechanical engineer for P&ID's and Line List production, and after that I cameback to Piping to continue with my regular activities.
A company that you will consider to work continuously, until you retire
Lead Structural Designer (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 4, 2015
Employees are very focus on their daily assignment. Amec will provide you training that is related to your discipline. The management is making sure that people in the projects are proactive and work hard to finish the job on time and meet the budget.

My co-workers are very respectful with each other. Very cooperative and are team players.

The hardest part of the job was we were short of staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that the management recognized the value of quality work.
Learned a great deal - awesome people!
Project Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Great place to work! Amazing experience working with some of the greatest people. Opportunity to grow your skill sets.
Professionalism and high wages
HVAC Designer / 3D Modeller (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 21, 2015
Pros: high wages
Cons: N/A
Amec Foster Wheeler is one of the best companies I ever worked for. Professional management, high salaries, and long lasting projects.
100% field work
Engineering Student Surveyor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2015
I was always in the field surveying and helping with design. Good experience if you have a good crew chief. Food allowance living out of town is well worth it.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 19, 2015
Pros: good working environemnt, lots of opportunity
Cons: still subject to the market ups and downs
Good place to work, good benefits, strong support for work/life balance. Provides many opportunities within the same company so you can try several positions and type of work.

It is still a consulting company, so it is subject to the ups and downs of the market.
Professional and fun to work.
Mechanical/Piping designer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SkMarch 14, 2015
Pros: lunch & learn, and co. training
Cons: longgg winter.
Easy going and highly professional work culture, easy to
approach people from other disciplines willing and helpful for any thing related to the projects. strict in budgeted time(which is always the norm in every EPCM company) and
freedom to work extra hours if necessary to meet deadlines and submissions of packages. to summarize, deliver, deliver, deliver,
good company activities in and out of the work place, good community involvements with voluntary employee participation. very lenient in approving extra days off. in general I believed they offer a balanced lifestyle in that particular office.
Unorganized management
Administrator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 13, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: unorganized management structure
Very unorganized management. No continututy in structure. Job decription changed on a weekly basis and was never discussed. Was announced at meetings always flabbergasting me thus only stayed for a short duration.
they are downright terribe
journeyman construction worker (Former Employee), multiple contracts.March 13, 2015
Pros: they pay you money
Cons: terrible operation procedures.
Unrealistic expectations, in almost everything they do. They will try too run you off their site for no reason except that you are getting paid sub/travel because you live within 100km instead of being in their camp. Constantly changing buisiness names for no reason. Union busters.
I enjoy working at Amec. But sometimes changes are required, when performance is not taken into consideration when layoff are done - it is preference
Enginnering - Quality check (Former Employee), ABMarch 9, 2015
Pros: free gym
Cons: long hours
Productive and conducive to working environment. No micro-management. We are treated like matured people and I love going to work every day without any stress or tension. Management is very understanding. What I have learned is do ones work sincerely and you will be rewarded well. The hardest part of my job is when sometimes procedures are not in place. Enjoyable part is we are given a lot of freedom. As long as your results are good when they run reports on each of us.
Generally a climate of anxiety for job retention and a lot of pressure to complete packages in unrealistic timescales
Manager (Former Employee), CalgaryFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: salary benefits
Cons: job security
There is little or no job security which does affect the way people work... why bother to go the extra mile for people who don't care if I still have a job tomorrow... Loyalty is for a select few.
Safety is a joke really... the culture seems to be about getting a quota of Near Miss Reports in irrespective of the quality to get a reward each month... it does little to improve anything. Other safety is based on parenting skills... and worrying about women's footwear!
Not a company of first choice!

That said, while you have a job... the money and benefits are good... that's more down to the Client paying for it rather than AMEC...

Planning and time scales- issues both with AMEC and their Client lead to unrealistic timescales for completions and that leads to great stress - those who can't cope or kick back seem not to be around the following Monday......
Process Engineer (Current Employee), Oakville, ONJanuary 19, 2015
- P.Eng obtained
- Learnt Project Engineering
- Participated in lots of social activities
I was perfect Engineer
Electrical Lead and Senior Electrical engineer (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 16, 2015
I offer more than 15 years working experience in power industries including two master’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Moscow Power Engineering Institute (Russia) and Concordia University (Canada) in 1994 and 2007 respectively. In addition to my strong educational background with 15 years Electrical Engineering experience including power system design, analysis, life-safety fire alarm system, digital data signals and PLC/SCADA programming knowledge. I am confident of being qualified for the position and my strong skills
Accounting
Project Accountant (Contract) (Former Employee), CalgaryDecember 22, 2014
Accounting Duties
AR/AP

Great team
Only on a contract

Worked in teams as well independently
Productive and fun work place
Field Engineer (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONDecember 9, 2014
Pleasant work environment. Foster employees for advancement.
Great work environment, talented people with great skills
Canada - Senior Structural Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2014
Pros: lunch and learns
Cons: long hours
Typical day at work is getting up before sunrise, driving 1 hour to work at the mine site. The hours worked are long, typical day spent outside the home is 15 hours. Once at work, your motivated by the people around you, it is a fast paced environment, must be able to react and solve issues within hours. The best aspect of the work is conversing with all my colleagues. The people I have met during my stay at AMEC Foster Wheeler are definitely the greatest asset to the company. Extremely knowledgeable, both at and away from the work place. The most enjoyable part of day is saying good-bye to the day shift.
enjoyed working at Amec
Lead structural designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2014
I would go back and work at Amec again, I thought it was a fulfilling job where I was challenged on a daily basis's
Daily challenges on different projects with team
Senior Project Controls/ Senior Planner-Scheduler (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 18, 2014
Daily challenges on different projects with team as project controls lead also senior planner scheduler
Good environment
Closely work to address all clients requirements
Safety oriented environment
Good environment
Closely work to address all clients requirements
Safety oriented environment
Worse place I ever work
Civil Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2014
Worse place to work in term of work environment, job security and management.
Top heavy management where negativity trickles down and there is no room to grow.
GIS Technician/Archaeologist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: top-heavy managment, too many mediocre project managers, fear of technology
Decent 9 to 5 hours for those with family *unless in the lab then you have stupid hours, albeit with overtime*
Salary is over-average for the region which is nice and the benefits pckg is why so many people tough it out there, it's good. Good overtime offers for many.

Job security is minimal, linked entirely to your 'chargeability', so you have to make them money. Not charging enough hours to a project and you get called out, told to improve (as if you have control over this) or possibly let go.
Any suggestion of investment or training to improve service is generally frowned on or doubted, as this costs money. High achievers are not valued, as they are costly. They seem to prefer middle to low workers, people who maintain the status quo and have no interest in being the best. Promise of "OneAMEC", with projects all over is very empty - this does not happen to any but a few senior folk.

Learned to swallow pride and wander around the building begging PM's for work.
Good access to other AMEC employees and offices, though - can beg them for work via email.

1 2 3 4

About Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the – Read more

Amec Foster Wheeler Photos