Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
PDS Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 9, 2015
Friendly work environment.
Access to in house training programs.
Competitive salary when possible.
Employee's safety is a priority.
Good benefits package
Fast paced engineering solutions
Construction Management Support & Superintendent (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 3, 2015
Pros: resources and documentation at hand
Cons: frequent emergency solutions required
Coordination from concept to final design to construction. Typical day consists of confirming status of pending milestones/deadlines with suppliers/contractors and documenting detailed process of advancements with the design/construction of various subsystems.
Enjoyable tow work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Company is an EPCM.
Busy every day to meet deadlines.
Management is great and work as a team.
To gain experience in the engineering industry.
The staff are great supportive people
Project Expeditor - Kearl Suite of Projects (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJune 11, 2015
Pros: Safety oriented, Charities, Golf Tournaments and Lunch and Learns
Cons: Long hours due to work load
Work is fast paced, with a heavy work load.
AMEC is great to recognize your abilities and to advance you to the next level.
Co-workers are extremely supportive and many had a great sense of humor.
Hardest part of the job is getting through the workload - but good to be busy, you have to be very very organized.
Most enjoyable is getting involved with charities, golf tournament, lunch and learns.
A good training ground for career starter in the engineering and supply chain environment
Buyer / Expeditor (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 10, 2015
Pros: with Designated Day Off
Cons: no recreation area
I was able to enhance more my supply chain knowledge because of the extensive training. People are generally treated equal. Environment is conducive to working productively. I enjoyed the company of the friendly co-workers, even after working hours.
You can work well if you know someone is in higher rank. Hence is not a good culture in overall.
Civil & Structural Designer (Current Employee), LabradorJune 4, 2015
Draft and design civil & structural drawings is my daily task.
What I had learn is coordinate among other discipline through out the whole project.
The co-workers are nice.
The hardest part of the job is you need have a good relationship with your section manager. If he doesn't know you at all, you hard works are hardly appreciate.
Dynamic Work place where clients can be engaged on various aspects from proposal stage to reporting.
Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 2, 2015
An ideal typical day of work starts with checking on engineers working in the filed on various projects that I am engaged in. Field work typically leads to reporting and analysis in the office. Upon report completion and the supervision of intermediate level engineers I am contacting clients to update them on project progress and following up for future work to be engaged in.

I have been dynamically engaged with various coworkers working in the filed and office to complete reporting and proposal writing. to complete reports and project work and hand in to the client on time and budget gives me satisfaction and sense of achievement.
Material Controller (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 1, 2015
The job is great because I get tons of time off working a 14 days on / 14 days off shift. I like that each day brings a new challenge to take on.
Professional respectful environment
Project Controller / IT (Current Employee), Halifax, NSMay 15, 2015
Pros: Great beneifts
Cons: Sometimes lack direction
Amec Foster Wheeler is a good place to work with internal education structure that fosters self improvement.
Clear focus on critical path and high on HSSE standards.
Currently undergoing many changes with the new merger (Amec and Foster Wheeler have merged to become Amec Foster Wheeler).
This particular job can be slow during downturns, and just the opposite when larger projects are approved, par for the business!
Co-workers are friendly, professional and co-operative for the most part.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Piping Designer / Checker (Former Employee), Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMay 6, 2015
I had the opportunity of working for Piping and Process discipline in the same project. First time I worked inside Process discipline, so I learned a lot and provided help as a mechanical engineer for P&ID's and Line List production, and after that I cameback to Piping to continue with my regular activities.
A company that you will consider to work continuously, until you retire
Lead Structural Designer (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMay 4, 2015
Employees are very focus on their daily assignment. Amec will provide you training that is related to your discipline. The management is making sure that people in the projects are proactive and work hard to finish the job on time and meet the budget.

My co-workers are very respectful with each other. Very cooperative and are team players.

The hardest part of the job was we were short of staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that the management recognized the value of quality work.
Learned a great deal - awesome people!
Project Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Great place to work! Amazing experience working with some of the greatest people. Opportunity to grow your skill sets.
Professionalism and high wages
HVAC Designer / 3D Modeller (Former Employee), CalgaryApril 21, 2015
Pros: high wages
Cons: N/A
Amec Foster Wheeler is one of the best companies I ever worked for. Professional management, high salaries, and long lasting projects.
100% field work
Engineering Student Surveyor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 28, 2015
I was always in the field surveying and helping with design. Good experience if you have a good crew chief. Food allowance living out of town is well worth it.
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKMarch 19, 2015
Pros: good working environemnt, lots of opportunity
Cons: still subject to the market ups and downs
Good place to work, good benefits, strong support for work/life balance. Provides many opportunities within the same company so you can try several positions and type of work.

It is still a consulting company, so it is subject to the ups and downs of the market.
Professional and fun to work.
Mechanical/Piping designer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SkMarch 14, 2015
Pros: lunch & learn, and co. training
Cons: longgg winter.
Easy going and highly professional work culture, easy to
approach people from other disciplines willing and helpful for any thing related to the projects. strict in budgeted time(which is always the norm in every EPCM company) and
freedom to work extra hours if necessary to meet deadlines and submissions of packages. to summarize, deliver, deliver, deliver,
good company activities in and out of the work place, good community involvements with voluntary employee participation. very lenient in approving extra days off. in general I believed they offer a balanced lifestyle in that particular office.
Unorganized management
Administrator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 13, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: unorganized management structure
Very unorganized management. No continututy in structure. Job decription changed on a weekly basis and was never discussed. Was announced at meetings always flabbergasting me thus only stayed for a short duration.
they are downright terribe
journeyman construction worker (Former Employee), multiple contracts.March 13, 2015
Pros: they pay you money
Cons: terrible operation procedures.
Unrealistic expectations, in almost everything they do. They will try too run you off their site for no reason except that you are getting paid sub/travel because you live within 100km instead of being in their camp. Constantly changing buisiness names for no reason. Union busters.
I enjoy working at Amec. But sometimes changes are required, when performance is not taken into consideration when layoff are done - it is preference
Enginnering - Quality check (Former Employee), ABMarch 9, 2015
Pros: free gym
Cons: long hours
Productive and conducive to working environment. No micro-management. We are treated like matured people and I love going to work every day without any stress or tension. Management is very understanding. What I have learned is do ones work sincerely and you will be rewarded well. The hardest part of my job is when sometimes procedures are not in place. Enjoyable part is we are given a lot of freedom. As long as your results are good when they run reports on each of us.
Generally a climate of anxiety for job retention and a lot of pressure to complete packages in unrealistic timescales
Manager (Former Employee), CalgaryFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: salary benefits
Cons: job security
There is little or no job security which does affect the way people work... why bother to go the extra mile for people who don't care if I still have a job tomorrow... Loyalty is for a select few.
Safety is a joke really... the culture seems to be about getting a quota of Near Miss Reports in irrespective of the quality to get a reward each month... it does little to improve anything. Other safety is based on parenting skills... and worrying about women's footwear!
Not a company of first choice!

That said, while you have a job... the money and benefits are good... that's more down to the Client paying for it rather than AMEC...

Planning and time scales- issues both with AMEC and their Client lead to unrealistic timescales for completions and that leads to great stress - those who can't cope or kick back seem not to be around the following Monday......

1 2 3 4

About Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the – Read more

Amec Foster Wheeler Photos