Amazon.com Employee Reviews

Place of growth and high energy!
Reciever /Picker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2015
- A typical day at work usually started with my associates and I working at our stations, receiving products. As the shift progresses and the number of items that need to be received decreases, I rotate between receiving items and doing other jobs that need to be done throughout the warehouse.
- I learned how to effectively work with others in order to get tasks done. I also learned how to problem solve.
- Management was very upbeat and always provided feedback.
- My co-workers were friendly and always made the workplace a positive environment.
- The most enjoyable part of working with amazon would be the satisfaction of working hard with my co-workers to go above and beyond the rates that are expected of us.
Pros
Excellent room/activities for breaks, Management gives good feedback, Management brings in food for holidays and celebrates with workers
Cons
Working long shifts in steel toe boots is hard on my legs
Strict rules
Fulfillment associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 May 2016
They are very strict with safety and productivity. you are expected to meet their rates which is hard to reach in your first few weeks. Then after a few weeks your body gets used to it.
very tiresome and tough job
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 December 2015
if you are person who can walk non stop for upto 10 hours then you are made for this job. Almost 25-30 km of daily non stop fast paced walk will certainly peel your weight off but you will certainly be left with frequent foot ache.
Pros
frequent prize draws
Cons
long hours and non stop walk.
Amazon Policy: work hard, have fun and make history
Customer Returns PROCESS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  ON5 December 2015
Amazon is a hard work place but it is fun to work with the best team: Customer Returns, I learned how to work in a warehouse for a company that take care 100% of the customers.
Pros
Montly Bonus and benefits
Did fun along with co-workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 June 2014
I would day I really enjoyed working there, company is so caring towards their workers. I mean the company is famous about getting serious on the floor about employees health and safety measures. I felt this personally so I really enjoyed being a part of Amazon once in a life. The hardest part is that their shifts are for long period of time but at the same time its kind of fun because all the co-workers are so nice to you that you didn't even realize of that hardest part sometimes.
Pros
Free lunches and snacks for some associated days, gift cards for those who showed up on weekends
Cons
Long hours, less breaks
Productive work place with a table tennis
Associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC3 March 2014
It was only seasonal employment but I had a fun experience. There are 3 different shifts to choose from donut, front and back half. It is a warehouse job so you are expected to lift, bend, twist and have proper body mechanics. Before starting work everyone needs to stretch, afterwards there is a board where your picture/name is to check where you are assigned. The hardest part of the job was the long hours of standing and walking. The most enjoyable part of the job was lunch and break time because its the only time you get to relax and sit down. But the job does give you a good work out so think of it as way to exercise.
Fast Pace and Fun at times with a Fun Room at Break time
Dock Clerk/Heavy Equipment Trainer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 September 2015
Love the Experience at Amazon,its making me to be a more responsible and more manageable person. My Managers have a lot of trust and confidence in me and my work performance
Pros
fun games and free liunches from time to time...
Cons
Long Hours from time to time..
fun work place.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 March 2016
It was always a good shift. I respected the work place very much. I had a very normal day shift, and very typical work. it was a lonely job to work cause I started talking to the books. that was the hardest part.
Fast pace but interesting job
Coach/Assistant Supervisor - Fulfillment Centre (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2016
I was their Coach/Assistant Supervisor. I used to do coaching, mentoring,producing performance metrics for the associate. I did problem solving, audits.
Nice warehouse
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC5 April 2016
the staff at Amazon were friendly made some good contacts working there was easy to learn the job quiclky only problem was wearing those steel toed boots
Good place for a temporary work position
Administrative Assistant-Imaging and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 September 2015
If you are transitioning from school to a career job, and are currently unemployed, this is a good temporary job. However, the pay is not the best, and opportunities for growth are few and far between in the department I work in. Good work environment, with high regard for work place safety.
productive,fun place,with all benefits medical and dental
Fulfilment Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 November 2015
I am truly thrilled to be a part of amazon Canada and it s the place to work at.It s a fast paced,deadline oriented job and i love it,
benefits
Cons
night shifts
fun workplace with videogame csnter and ping pong table
Inound picker (Current Employee) –  missisauga on21 September 2015
long very busy but fun day.. i learned how to use RF scanner. management is very nice. co workers are great people and very helpful. hardest part of the job is standing for 10 hours a day since the warehouse is huge.
it was a very fun environment to work in
Employment Recruiter (Former Employee) –  mississauga, on9 February 2015
-It was always busy day at work, you have your goals and attaining them till the day concludes was the main aspect. Encouragement to accomplish these goals was addressed by management in a very friendly and positive method.
this was a great learning tool, in order to have productivity, its very important to be positive in all aspects and to be very courteous to your co-workers
Fun place to work at
Admin Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 November 2015
Amazon is an amzing place to work at,very caring about the employee and HR is so efficient as they always stand by your side
Pros
pays
Cons
Don't waste your time, not even worth a star at all!
Elf, Robot (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC23 February 2016
I was employed as an elf, sorry, 'associate'!, leading up to the 2015 Christmas period. The constant pressure to meet their ridiculous requirements, long hours, unreasonable pay and constant performance pressures and competition against everyone else to gain full employment and a 'Blue badge' is never ending and very unpleasant. Seriously the worst place I've ever worked at and the worst pays in my life! Forget statutory holidays such as Thanksgiving as they will require you to work as a slave regardless if it falls on your scheduled shift. You won't be paid any differently as a normal day but possibly given a piece of pumpkin pie for your efforts of sacrificing your rare time you should be spending with your family.

Seriously don't waste your time even if it sounds appealing! You're much better off looking elsewhere especially if you want to be treated like a human, paid like a human and have the entitlements that everyone so greatly deserves and have fought for, then treated like a machine or robot.

They seem concerned for safety but that's thrown out the window when you're required to pick, pack, bend, lift and squat at speeds that will never be safe to do so. You'll be constantly moved around from picking, packing, shipping, receiving, re-stocking, and back and forth various roles and parts of the monstrous warehouse that brings no satisfaction, enjoyment or consistency. You'll also be required to walk, well speed walk, 15-20km's a day in steel toed/ safety boots which will make your feet and legs ache like never before.

Watch out for employment opportunities through
  more... SMX or affiliate labour hire companies as they deliberately don't advertise under the Amazon umbrella. You won't know this until you visit one of their temporary sites, usually set up leading up to peak seasons, and walk through the door when seeking employment. If you realize this walk straight back out and don't look back.  less
Pros
Absolutely nothing at all
Cons
So many it's ridiculous
Great opportunity to learn customer service
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 February 2016
I particularly enjoyed dealing with new customer each day. Also, helping customers gave me so much peace of mind. Furthermore, it was in my local vicinity so commute was easy.
productive
Outbound Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 November 2015
management is nice ,listen to employees. hardest part of the job is the targets per hour. some times it is hard to meet them,
Horrible place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC, Canada11 September 2014
Where do I begin?

This place is a joke, I got hired on as a temp for the 4th quarter season (fall-winter) last year because it's the busiest. They hire on like 150 temp workers for this and then fire all of us on the first week of January.

There's only like 20-30 full time Amazon employees, the rest were temps from Amazon's in-house staffing agency SMX. Us temps get paid 12/hr while the perms make over 15/hr plus benefits. The temps get pushed harder and harder while the perms slack off.

We have "coaches", two over weight guys who walk around telling us how we can go through the isles and pick at a faster rate, oh yeah they want you to pick 130 picks a hour, that's one every 33 seconds throughout a vast warehouse, where you scan guns sends you from one side to the next. The coaches don't do anything other than that and get paid more than the temps for it.

You have "safety" guys who don't do jack but walk around pointing out errors in your lifting techniques or that your moving too fast in/out of aisles.

So the "safety" guys tell you to slow down, while management tells you to speed up. Anyone with a brain knows safety/speed don't go hand-in-hand.

The SMX staffing guy is a complete 'you know what'. And treats you like scum. Even though you pick at a faster speed than the permanents. If you make 130 picks a hour then he wants you to pick 140 your next shift and so on.

The permanents walk around leisurely at there own pace, laughing cracking jokes and the bosses don't care. The temps are pushed like machines, and if your caught having a 1 minute convo with
  more... a fellow temp you get "written up".

They dangle this carrot in front of you that you will get hired on as permanent if you work hard, this is a complete lie there is way too many temps and not enough full time permanent positions, the permanent positions are already filled and staffed.

Amazon is a joke and they cut corners buy hiring slave labor temps for there busiest season then save money buy firing them all after. They force you to work overtime, if you don't you get "2 points" you have 6 points till SMX fires you, being sick is 1.5 points.

The only positive is that all of the temps are friendly and cool people. The permanent employees are not and treat temps like dirt.

In the Canadian job market there are more than enough jobs out there that pay 12+ with benefits and management that cares about you and actually treats you well.

TL;DR ..... Avoid working at Amazon (Amazon Delta, Annacis Island) like the plague.
Pros
Other temporary workers are friendly.
Cons
Way too many to list.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga,ON3 October 2012
Amazon is a one of the best company I work so far. Everyone is treated equally. I have learned and improved my time management skills most important. My co-workers are very supportive and helping including Hr department and managers. The most challenging part of the job was early morning start at 4 during picks but it also went well. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the manager or supervisor always appreciate our work.
Pros
free bbqs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Amazon.com. Our community is ready to answer.