Amazon.com Employee Reviews in Canada

Bad co-workers worse Managment
Warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Derwent, ABMarch 15, 2015
While working at Amazon it started out good like any job does, but as time went on there was no room for moving up within the warehouse. The actual managers there were from different places
there seemed to be no room for moving up. Hard work and innovative ideas did not get you any closer to having a full time position there. I was told by a supervisor that we are not paid to think we are paid to work I understand that it is a labor job but the fact that we are hired at Amazon to simply work and not give ideas to make the work place a better place infuriated me.
Pros
40 work weeks
Cons
bad management
Amazing and Encouraging work environment
Customer Service/Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 12, 2015
Having to meet up with the company stated monthly target made the job even more challenging but fun. The co-workers were friendly and great team players.
Amazing Learning experience
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 9, 2015
Overall It was really good to work at Amazon Fulfillment. It had really friendly environment, free lunches sometimes, nice rewards if you work hard. Hardest part of this job was that it has really long hours.
Pros
free lunches, friendly environment
Cons
long hours, repetitive work
best company to work with
Deputy Manager - Operations (Former Employee) –  IBMFebruary 28, 2015
healthy team environment
grown from a fresh graduate to a Deputy manager operations
Helpful and rewarding management
Competiive co-workers
season time pressure
working as a team to break old records
Pros
employee centric
it was a very fun environment to work in
Employment Recruiter (Former Employee) –  mississauga, onFebruary 9, 2015
-It was always busy day at work, you have your goals and attaining them till the day concludes was the main aspect. Encouragement to accomplish these goals was addressed by management in a very friendly and positive method.
this was a great learning tool, in order to have productivity, its very important to be positive in all aspects and to be very courteous to your co-workers
learn so many things
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2015
i always started my day with a thought that today i will learn new things and show good productivity,our management was good and very helpfull.my co-workers were loving and always keen to help eac hothers..hardwest part was leaving job and my co-workers,enjoyable moment was luckydraw in best attendence.which i got
Pros
free coffe, snacks, holiday meal and
Cons
long hours, donot have job security
Great Facilities, Workspace and Cafeteria. Management, Organization and Training was rather lacking however.
Fulfillment Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Shipping and Receiving (Ship/Doc) and Picking AreaJanuary 21, 2015
The place had great new facilities and lots of room allowing for getting around the place to be quite easy. The cafeteria had plenty of room with more than enough microwaves as well as plenty of games such as a Ping Pong table, A PS3 with Gran Turismo racing set up and an Air Hockey table.
Unfortunately, when the work was on, the place was rather disorganized in certain respects. Picking, the simplest job ran rather smoothly. Packing I'm not sure since I never worked in that area. In my opinion however, the Shipping and Receiving Area could have been better organized and needed more staff members in order for the job to run smoothly. Training for that area was practically non-existent, not thorough enough or not done in a professional way. The main problem was that they had too many different sub-departments being run by the same small group of people rather than having a separate team for the Shipping area. In other words, the work tended to be more stressful than it should have been. On top of this, people who put in a lot of work or who provided feedback were not given the recognition they deserved and were instead the first ones to be looked down on which makes no sense whatsoever.
But to give the company the benefit of the doubt, it was a fairly new warehouse when I worked there so it will take time for the place to get things running up to speed. In many ways, it's machines they lack as well which would far exceed and benefit the company rather than forcing people to work overly hard when in many ways it's not possible for them to do that and achieve beneficial results.
Pros
free lunches, great gaming area, new facilities and clean bathrooms, lots of space for working
Cons
poorly organized when it came to shipping and receiving, poor team chemistry, poor divison of job positions/departments, training in need of improvement
This is my own business and it is absolutely fantastic.
Owner (Current Employee) –  My homeJanuary 17, 2015
-Adjust prices for products in the morning
-Create an order for purchasing products every 1-2 weeks
-Provide excellent customer service and answer any questions they may have.

-I have learned to manage my own business in only 30-60 minutes a day.

-Me and my dad own this business together

-Making sure to stay on top of returns

-Very simple
Pros
work from home, put very little time in.
Cons
business grows slowly
Review on Amazon as a Company
IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Brmapton,ONDecember 18, 2014
I quickly learned how to adapt in a results-driven environment. Every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise. Even as the company expands rapidly, the atmosphere is fun and exciting.
it was a good job
Warehouse associate (picker) (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCNovember 17, 2014
I enjoyed working there its just unfortunate I had to leave because I was not able to work gravyards
Pros
great people
Cons
long days
okay place to work
Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 29, 2014
The management is good. Hours are good. The pay could be better. Safety is very good.
Pros
good environment
Cons
pay is not so great
Overall a good experience
Picker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 18, 2014
I started this institute and since it was my own very first business i had too many responsibilities to be taken care of simultaneously, from administration to syllabus designing and scheduling teachers. I learnt a lot from this.
Pros
teaching students everyday enhanced my knowledge too
Cons
nothing as such
Horrible place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC, CanadaSeptember 11, 2014
Where do I begin?

This place is a joke, I got hired on as a temp for the 4th quarter season (fall-winter) last year because it's the busiest. They hire on like 150 temp workers for this and then fire all of us on the first week of January.

There's only like 20-30 full time Amazon employees, the rest were temps from Amazon's in-house staffing agency SMX. Us temps get paid 12/hr while the perms make over 15/hr plus benefits. The temps get pushed harder and harder while the perms slack off.

We have "coaches", two over weight guys who walk around telling us how we can go through the isles and pick at a faster rate, oh yeah they want you to pick 130 picks a hour, that's one every 33 seconds throughout a vast warehouse, where you scan guns sends you from one side to the next. The coaches don't do anything other than that and get paid more than the temps for it.

You have "safety" guys who don't do jack but walk around pointing out errors in your lifting techniques or that your moving too fast in/out of aisles.

So the "safety" guys tell you to slow down, while management tells you to speed up. Anyone with a brain knows safety/speed don't go hand-in-hand.

The SMX staffing guy is a complete 'you know what'. And treats you like scum. Even though you pick at a faster speed than the permanents. If you make 130 picks a hour then he wants you to pick 140 your next shift and so on.

The permanents walk around leisurely at there own pace, laughing cracking jokes and the bosses don't care. The temps are pushed like machines, and if your caught having a 1 minute convo with a fellow temp
  more... you get "written up".

They dangle this carrot in front of you that you will get hired on as permanent if you work hard, this is a complete lie there is way too many temps and not enough full time permanent positions, the permanent positions are already filled and staffed.

Amazon is a joke and they cut corners buy hiring slave labor temps for there busiest season then save money buy firing them all after. They force you to work overtime, if you don't you get "2 points" you have 6 points till SMX fires you, being sick is 1.5 points.

The only positive is that all of the temps are friendly and cool people. The permanent employees are not and treat temps like dirt.

In the Canadian job market there are more than enough jobs out there that pay 12+ with benefits and management that cares about you and actually treats you well.

TL;DR ..... Avoid working at Amazon (Amazon Delta, Annacis Island) like the plague.
Pros
other temporary workers are friendly.
Cons
way too many to list.
Great management and people but long hours and uneventful work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 28, 2014
With my time at Amazon I had very small tasks in a very large group of people. It was hard to connect with others as the establishment was so large, and the hours consumed the majority of my time. I was not trained on any tasks but one, which consisted of scanning items and organizing them into carts, despite requesting to learn other jobs throughout the warehouse. It was difficult to work such long hours while being forced to do the same mundane tasks over and over with no chance of a change of environment/ pace. However, all of my superiors were extremely friendly and accommodating and the payment was very satisfactory.
Pros
great management, good pay
Cons
long hours, duties tended to drag on
Account Supervisor
Account Supervisor-Staff Management (Former Employee) –  Mississauga,ONAugust 28, 2014
Working for Staff Management was a wonderful experience, learning a lot about Amazon's expectations, safety awareness and one on one communication with the associates on a daily basis.
My responsibilities consist of daily attendance, hourly productivity reports and feedback. Supervising over all safety,quality and productivity during the day. Attending production meetings weekly, investigating accidents and near misses to eliminate unsafe conditions and behaviors, coaching 5S throughout the facility . Entering all information into the Data base at end of shift. The best part of the job would be the relationship you develop with your co-workers and associates, I enjoy greeting them every morning and starting the day with a can do attitude, being a motivational speaking at start up meeting and having a safe and fun environment to work in.
Pros
safe and happy work environment
a nurturing environment
Creative Arts Program Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2014
during my time at Amazon Downtown I was able to grow as an educator. The fit was so perfect that when the previous owners went to retire I ended up purchases the business from them. Truly perfect!
It was good Canadian experiance
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 1, 2014
• Followed set procedures for stowing books and stuffs in their proper shelves
• Picked orders per order lists
best enviorment to work
associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJuly 21, 2014
amazon fulfillment is among the best place. work week is 4 days only so work and life is balanced as you get more personal time.
Management is so fun to work with they listen to problems from associate and actually do solve them and the best part they are always smiling and willing to help.
working at such productive and happy place long hours even go quicker.
Pros
fun place 4 days work week
Productive and fun workplace
Shipper and receiver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 15, 2014
in the beginning of the day we discus our goal and target of the day
we achieve highest product receive and ship record in amazon canada
It was so clean in every aspect. Excellent facilities.
Forklift Operator Driver and ship dock assistant (Former Employee) –  mississauga ontarioJuly 6, 2014
i worked at amazon as a forklift operator and ship dock assitant i can drive all machhines...