Amazon.com Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
it was a good job
Warehouse associate (picker) (Former Employee), Delta, BCNovember 17, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: long days
I enjoyed working there its just unfortunate I had to leave because I was not able to work gravyards
okay place to work
Warehouse associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 29, 2014
Pros: good environment
Cons: pay is not so great
The management is good. Hours are good. The pay could be better. Safety is very good.
Overall a good experience
Picker (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: teaching students everyday enhanced my knowledge too
Cons: nothing as such
I started this institute and since it was my own very first business i had too many responsibilities to be taken care of simultaneously, from administration to syllabus designing and scheduling teachers. I learnt a lot from this.
Horrible place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Delta, BC, CanadaSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: other temporary workers are friendly.
Cons: way too many to list.
Where do I begin?

This place is a joke, I got hired on as a temp for the 4th quarter season (fall-winter) last year because it's the busiest. They hire on like 150 temp workers for this and then fire all of us on the first week of January.

There's only like 20-30 full time Amazon employees, the rest were temps from Amazon's in-house staffing agency SMX. Us temps get paid 12/hr while the perms make over 15/hr plus benefits. The temps get pushed harder and harder while the perms slack off.

We have "coaches", two over weight guys who walk around telling us how we can go through the isles and pick at a faster rate, oh yeah they want you to pick 130 picks a hour, that's one every 33 seconds throughout a vast warehouse, where you scan guns sends you from one side to the next. The coaches don't do anything other than that and get paid more than the temps for it.

You have "safety" guys who don't do jack but walk around pointing out errors in your lifting techniques or that your moving too fast in/out of aisles.

So the "safety" guys tell you to slow down, while management tells you to speed up. Anyone with a brain knows safety/speed don't go hand-in-hand.

The SMX staffing guy is a complete 'you know what'. And treats you like scum. Even though you pick at a faster speed than the permanents. If you make 130 picks a hour then he wants you to pick 140 your next shift and so on.

The permanents walk around leisurely at there own pace, laughing cracking jokes and the bosses don't care. The temps are pushed like machines, and if your caught having a 1 minute convo with a fellow temp – more... you get "written up".

They dangle this carrot in front of you that you will get hired on as permanent if you work hard, this is a complete lie there is way too many temps and not enough full time permanent positions, the permanent positions are already filled and staffed.

Amazon is a joke and they cut corners buy hiring slave labor temps for there busiest season then save money buy firing them all after. They force you to work overtime, if you don't you get "2 points" you have 6 points till SMX fires you, being sick is 1.5 points.

The only positive is that all of the temps are friendly and cool people. The permanent employees are not and treat temps like dirt.

In the Canadian job market there are more than enough jobs out there that pay 12+ with benefits and management that cares about you and actually treats you well.

TL;DR ..... Avoid working at Amazon (Amazon Delta, Annacis Island) like the plague. – less
Great management and people but long hours and uneventful work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 28, 2014
Pros: great management, good pay
Cons: long hours, duties tended to drag on
With my time at Amazon I had very small tasks in a very large group of people. It was hard to connect with others as the establishment was so large, and the hours consumed the majority of my time. I was not trained on any tasks but one, which consisted of scanning items and organizing them into carts, despite requesting to learn other jobs throughout the warehouse. It was difficult to work such long hours while being forced to do the same mundane tasks over and over with no chance of a change of environment/ pace. However, all of my superiors were extremely friendly and accommodating and the payment was very satisfactory.
Account Supervisor
Account Supervisor-Staff Management (Former Employee), Mississauga,ONAugust 28, 2014
Pros: safe and happy work environment
Cons: long hours
Working for Staff Management was a wonderful experience, learning a lot about Amazon's expectations, safety awareness and one on one communication with the associates on a daily basis.
My responsibilities consist of daily attendance, hourly productivity reports and feedback. Supervising over all safety,quality and productivity during the day. Attending production meetings weekly, investigating accidents and near misses to eliminate unsafe conditions and behaviors, coaching 5S throughout the facility . Entering all information into the Data base at end of shift. The best part of the job would be the relationship you develop with your co-workers and associates, I enjoy greeting them every morning and starting the day with a can do attitude, being a motivational speaking at start up meeting and having a safe and fun environment to work in.
a nurturing environment
Creative Arts Program Director (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2014
during my time at Amazon Downtown I was able to grow as an educator. The fit was so perfect that when the previous owners went to retire I ended up purchases the business from them. Truly perfect!
It was good Canadian experiance
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 1, 2014
• Followed set procedures for stowing books and stuffs in their proper shelves
• Picked orders per order lists
best enviorment to work
associate (Former Employee), Milton, ONJuly 21, 2014
Pros: fun place 4 days work week
amazon fulfillment is among the best place. work week is 4 days only so work and life is balanced as you get more personal time.
Management is so fun to work with they listen to problems from associate and actually do solve them and the best part they are always smiling and willing to help.
working at such productive and happy place long hours even go quicker.
Productive and fun workplace
Shipper and receiver (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 15, 2014
in the beginning of the day we discus our goal and target of the day
we achieve highest product receive and ship record in amazon canada
It was so clean in every aspect. Excellent facilities.
Forklift Operator Driver and ship dock assistant (Former Employee), mississauga ontarioJuly 6, 2014
i worked at amazon as a forklift operator and ship dock assitant i can drive all machhines...
Outside all day
Stock Put Away Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 24, 2014
Pros: worked with great people
Cons: lifting heavy stuff
Driving and delivering office furniture was the day...Loved the Co workers..Hardest partof the day was lifting heavy stuff up stairs.
Did fun along with co-workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 8, 2014
Pros: free lunches and snacks for some associated days, gift cards for those who showed up on weekends
Cons: long hours, less breaks
I would day I really enjoyed working there, company is so caring towards their workers. I mean the company is famous about getting serious on the floor about employees health and safety measures. I felt this personally so I really enjoyed being a part of Amazon once in a life. The hardest part is that their shifts are for long period of time but at the same time its kind of fun because all the co-workers are so nice to you that you didn't even realize of that hardest part sometimes.
productive and great place to work
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee), mississauga,onApril 29, 2014
Amazon is a great place to work in.The job comes with lot of responsibilities.Each person has a certain duties to fulfill his duties and achieve goal at the end of day.
As a floor supervisor my responsibilities included working close to associates and providing feedback on daily basis,to help associates by coaching them to achieve there target.Have to work close with managers to keep tab of all the shift.Most hardest part of job is when you get some stubborn associates who take things for granted but i was able to bring them up to the mark with one on one coaching.It is a good place to work in.
layed back work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 24, 2014
Pros: decent atomsphere
Cons: long hours
learned everything on the job, very repetitive , didn't see much of an opportunity to grow within the company
Productive and fun workplace.
General Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 21, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: seasonal job
I enjoy working in this company but they are only hiring when it's on peak season, good as a seasonal job.
Package Handler and picker (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 7, 2014
We use to start at 4 o clock in the morning and began our shift with stretching our body parts so we are not tired good through the day and can work effectively. It was a good experience because i always wanted to know how these online internet site works and how they ship items to the customers all over the continent/world. It was a great experience and had fun working there.
Productive work place with a table tennis
Associate (Former Employee), Delta, BCMarch 3, 2014
It was only seasonal employment but I had a fun experience. There are 3 different shifts to choose from donut, front and back half. It is a warehouse job so you are expected to lift, bend, twist and have proper body mechanics. Before starting work everyone needs to stretch, afterwards there is a board where your picture/name is to check where you are assigned. The hardest part of the job was the long hours of standing and walking. The most enjoyable part of the job was lunch and break time because its the only time you get to relax and sit down. But the job does give you a good work out so think of it as way to exercise.
Wouldn't recommand
Inventroy Control (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: spacious cafetaria, lots of microwaves, provide feminim hygiene products and medication
Cons: no cellphone, no locker, very annoying managers
Laid back work environment and OK pay but not a secure job and no advancement.What I hated the most was "coaches", supervisors/managers reminded you how you could lose your job any day.
Job was pretty simple (counting products), but very very very boring!!!
As one would think counting items everyday would lead to few errors but managers say that there should be none.Which is when they would say to count better or you will lose your job.
I think if they had better more friendly mangers, who also had realistic expectations of employee performance, it would have been a much better place to work.
Because of managers attitudes several people would quit every week (I lasted 3 months, looks for another job while there, found one then left). So there were always new people coming in.
But what I did enjoy (the only thing) was it felt a little more free, in that we could go to the washroom or drink some water whenever we wanted. We were also allowed to talk with co workers even joke around a bit just as long as we were doing our job and not being so loud.
Overall it isn't a good place to work at, most hated it. But if there is no other choice what can you do but work :(
Amazon.ca - Fullfillment
Area Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Amazon fulfillment is a typical production/warehousing atmosphere but with an insane amount of SKU variation which makes the way they conduct their operations very "peculiar". The Area Manager role effectively manages anywhere between 25 to over 120 warehouse associates, making it a very challenging and rewarding experience.

The Canadian fulfillment side still needs to adjust their culture to the american Amazon.com culture which has a very good set of principles and practices. The lack of underlying operating principles make it very hard to cope with very frequent changes within the fulfillment site. Support from upper management is seldom available as they face their own difficulties trying to adjust to the same changes.
Headquarters