Altus Geomatics Employee Reviews

Supportive Team Environment
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Alberta11 December 2017
A typical day in the office is filled with a variety of tasks which are ever changing. I enjoy the busy schedule and find that this role allows me to gather the skills I need to succeed in my career path.
Good company to work for
SURVEY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2017
I enjoyed my time with Altus Geomatics. Their safety culture is really good, Most of the other employees that I worked with were friendly. I had a good relation with the project managers I worked for.
Professional Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Canada5 November 2017
A very professional company, treats staff very well. Great work life balance, lots of mentors available.The only problem is that it's hard to develop your career. They seem to want you to stay at one place and keep doing what you're good at doing.
Pros
Wonderful place to work
Cons
Limited career development
Lots of driving, every day was something different and new
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK30 October 2017
The job consisted of driving from the office to the job site, setting up the equipment, conducting the survey, tearing down and going home. There were a few days when we had to go on the road, but typically we made it back to the city.

This often meant many hours driving to the work site, and on a few occasions this meant driving 3 and a half hours to the site, working for half an hour, and driving 3 and a half hours back. Other days this meant driving 3 hours to the site, working for 6, and driving back.

As we were working all across southeastern Saskatchewan, this meant I got to see a lot of the province, and some very diverse landscapes.
day on the job
Survey Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 July 2017
we would travel extensively and do legal surveys, construction and oilfield work I've worked all over manitoba. doing various jobs. fun people to work with. lots of experience for other jobs. everyone was willing to help out with everything.
Pros
meal checks, paid holiday, stats, and travel pay on personal vehicles.
Cons
on on the road if we couldn't go out due to someone being sick the other employee wouldn't be paid.
Bigger company, not as close-knit as previous jobs. Good place to work to gain experience in a bigger company setting.
Senior CAD Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
Coworkers and management not as close-knit as my previous experience with a smaller company, but most likely due to company size itself. Busy work days, central downtown location which is accessible to many who live most places in the city. Great place to experience what it's like working for a bigger company.
Great place to work and learn.
SENIOR CAD OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2017
Altus Geomatics is a great place to work with a good collaborative environment. The process of creating survey plans is supported by highly knowledgeable people.
Great workplace environment.
NET Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2016
The company has a great work environment. The work ethics is very relaxed which allows more time spent on learning new technologies and applying them on numerous projects that adhere to the business needs.
Always around amazing staff and amazing views
Survey Assistant, Chainman/Rodman (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB, Regina SK, Bonnyville AB31 March 2016
I have been working at Altus Geomatics for just over two years. The experience has been a very positive one.
You have to be cut out for long days of hiking/walking with gear no matter what the weather. Hammer swinging, note taking,knot tying/ flagging, locating, digging and testosterone filled axe swinging are usually all daily occurrences.
The staff here have always been a great bunch, they always pull together when someone is in need of anything from a helping hand at home or a good joke. A word of warning, surveyors are pranksters. Don't be upset about finding your gear, car/truck, or ATV/sled covered in flagging tyed in knots preventing you from accessing anything you need. I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't laugh about it while he helps you clean up the mess.

Always remember that blame runs downhill.When stepping foot onto any large scale construction project or oilfield job always make note that as the assistant you WILL be the lowest paid person on site, outranked even usually by the janitorial staff in camps. Becoming a land surveyor is very unlikely to make you a millionaire by any means, but it does provide for a healthy, active lifestyle once you learn how to live within your means. Some crew chiefs are the type to make the assistant do all the work, if you can't hack doing all the calculations, re-staking, line locating, marking and/or flagging off the hop ask them to help, if they refuse, try to hop in with another crew chief until you can learn the ropes. This way will fast-track you to a jr. crew chief role but if you're a slow learner and prefer to
  more... work in a team environment, I haven't found an office yet that won't help you out.

If you're outdoorsy or the woodsman type this is definitely the job for you.
Assistants usually start around $15/hr and peak-out around $20/hr and a jr. crewchief usually starts around $20-$25+/hr with either 3-4 years of assistant experience or a university diploma.
Pros
Great views, great camaraderie, great workout
Cons
Physically demanding, lazy crew-chiefs, low pay compared to other jobs oil & gas sector, long shifts (24 in 4 out)
A company that treats people like family, but you better hope that you fit in
Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2015
When you work for an outfit that treats employees like family, expect to overcome a lot of internal political problems. Some people I got along with great, others not so much as they were buddy-buddy with the Managers.

This made it really hard to report users that were causing a lot of headache. If you tried to educate that user about something, you were generally met with a reprimand from the Office Manager, or the divisional President.

I would receive praise and yearly bonuses for my contribution to the company, which I did appreciate. All of this came from the divisional President, whom I never had any problems communicating with. The problems occurred when the divisional VP was made the Manager of IT affairs. It was obvious that this person did not have any IT related experience, which made it very difficult to get my job done from day to day. I would attempt to work on something that was high priority, and be told to skip it for something basic. An example of this would be a buddy-buddy employee having performance problems with a PC, versus a plotter that was down and needing repairs.

If the VP understood technology and how it works, he would have devised a way to prioritize what needs to be fixed now and what can be fixed later. This was a constant battle that went on for a few years.

I've heard that management has been moved around in the Geomatics division, and that a more knowledgable person has been made as in IT Lead. Too bad it didn't happen while I was still there.
Pros
Social gatherings, Christmas Bonus
Cons
Too much drama between IT and employees that were personal friends of Management
productive
Survey assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 August 2015
Every day I work I get along with the co workers enjoy chatting geting too know the person i work with. get too the Job we scout around set up Base and start surveying for the main task.There is not really the hard part of this job
very productive and fun
survey assistant (Former Employee) –  Redwater20 April 2015
Everyday there was a safety tool box meeting which was very informative while drinking your hot coffee. I've learned from management was to provide the client with the highest level of quality work.

My co workers were all very accommodating and supportive.The hardest part of my job was standing for so long during wintertime.

But my most enjoyable part was that little chat every morning and listening to a variety and informative topics.
Pros
Good co workers and boss
Cons
Want a company to work that treats others like family? Well, you may want to be careful.
Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2015
At first, Altus was friendly to work for. Everyone was pleasant, easy going, and usually invited you to "Beer Friday" at the end of the week.

But as time goes on, you will eventually peave off the wrong person. Once you do, it's pretty much game over. Especially if head management is buddy-buddy with a fellow co-worker.

This was one of Altus' biggest deficits. There's a lot of bureaucracy and red-tape that an IT tech has to go through in order to prevent a user from being an annoyance. On most days, management doesn't care. They will simply say "I want this person to have new equipment before this person." Now you can read that in terms of a employee that puts out his/her share more often than other employee, or you can see that as a pure example of "scratching each-others' back". On most occasions, it was the latter. I saw crummy drafters get newer and better hardware vs someone that took their time to do the job right.

After 4.5 years of being bullied by the office Vice President, I simply had enough. Be forewarned that if you can't become part of their culture, you'll find yourself being exiled in a short period of time.

This is definitely a sink-or-swim employer, with a very short retention period between old and new employees.
Pros
Big bonuses, company events
Cons
Management can be bullies, as can fellow employees.
Grand Company, Looking for More
Surveyor's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alberta3 June 2013
The company is great! The actual job/career path lifestyle doesn't jive with me so much. That said it is a great experience and i highly reccomend ticking it thorugh for a year or so. I work 10-13 hours a day, in a camp or working out of a hotel. I work with one crew chief for the rotation, and may move on to others depending of the proffesional relationship or due to schedualing conflicts. I learned to live on my own, take care of myself, how to assist and anticipate the needs of the crew chief for the job or task at hand. Hardest part is adjusting to the lack of a social life, and living a healthy lifestyle. I most enjoy being outdoors all day. Some times its relatively challenging work, sometimes its very simple. I simply want more money for the work i do and the inconvinience of being away so much, and so unschedualled.
Pros
Food and lodging is covered or expenced.
Cons
Not conucive to social life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altus Geomatics. Our community is ready to answer.