Alterra Power Corp. is a leading global renewable energy company, operating six power plants totaling 568 MW of generation capacity, including British Columbia's largest run-of-river hydro facility and largest wind farm, two geothermal facilities in Iceland, and a geothermal plant in Nevada. Alterra owns a 262 MW share of this capacity, generating approximately 1,300 GWh of clean power annually. We have an extensive portfolio of exploration and development projects, a skilled international team of explorers, builders and operators as well as the strong financial capacity to support our growth plans.
Alterra is seeking a qualified, career-focused individual for the role of Tax Manager, based in our Vancouver office. Reporting to the CFO, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Accounting Group with tax compliance, preparing or reviewing tax filings, tax planning, varied tax research and undertaking of tax and accounting related projects. This role would be appropriate for an experienced manager from a professional services background, or someone with similar level of experience.
The Tax Manager will be responsible for:
- Working with the CFO and Project Finance team, to provide tax oversight and planning for all financing and significant transactions
- Preparation or review of Canadian income tax returns including coordinating with the Accounting team to ensure timely completion of tax filings
- Preparation of US tax returns with external advisors
- Preparation or review of year-end tax provision for financial reporting
- Managing tax audits as required
- Management and implementation of regional and international tax planning projects
- Supporting the accounting team with implementing new tax legislation and/or restructuring and any impact on financial reporting
- Monitor and assess new tax developments globally and evaluate application to planning opportunities
- Working with the Controller to support Alterra’s global transfer pricing practices
- Assisting human resources with employee tax related issues including relocations, compensation and executive tax planning and research
- Assisting with tax or accounting related projects as they arise
Required skills and experience include:
- Accounting designation and university degree in a relevant field (Accounting, Finance or Business Administration)
- 6-8 years of tax experience
- Knowledge and experience of international taxation & tax related financing structures
- Knowledge of global tax compliance and experience with US tax is preferred
- Renewable industry experience is an asset
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex financial accounting and taxation issues
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and experience with deadline oriented assignments
- Ability to excel in a dynamic, team-oriented and demanding work environment
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae with full details of qualifications and experience by replying to the posting. Applications will be accepted until August 15, 2014.
Further information about Alterra may be found on our website: www.alterrapower.ca.