ALTERNA SAVINGS Employee Reviews

Productive company
Deposit Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2016
A typical work day was to complete all daily tasks before days end and try to have fun while doing so. I made a lot of fabulous relationships with both co-workers and members.
Terrible employer and culture
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 August 2016
Opportunities to advance are limited at best. Horrible work culture. Training and support is non-existent. Management is all over the place. Hard work is punished instead of rewarded. Can't say enough bad stuff, this is not a good place to work.
Pros
Benefits were good.
Cons
Low pay. No opportunity. Schizo management.
Changes taking place in terms of re-engineering and staffing
Member service specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2016
Huge changes in manpower taking place including budgeting as well as software changeover.
Thus retaining a stable job is becoming difficult.
Pros
Fundraisers and occasional free lunches
Cons
Long hours overtime
Wannabe bank without the infrastructure
Personal Banking Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2015
I almost feel bad for people who decide to switch from a bank to a CU. Unfortunately we just don't have the same technology and infrastructure to compete in the evolving retail banking market. It seems like with Alterna that too many mergers and system upgrades have turned this company into a confused and inefficient place to bank and work. I don't know many people in retail finance who are satisfied with their work and look forward to coming into the office everyday, there is no exception here with Alterna. Management pressures and bullies employees into ranking them higher than they deserve on their employee surveys but most people will tell you that they don't really like working here. If you are considering taking a job with Alterna I would recommend that you work somewhere else if you have a choice. And switch to a different career if you are considering retail banking. Good luck.
Pros
Good dental coverage
Cons
little room for advancement, poor company direction, lousy career options
Work Environment
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario16 April 2015
Alterna is a very professional work environment and the management treat staff members with respect and the motivation to be successful in their current role.
stay away from this employer
financial advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2015
Stay away from this employer. The culture means "micromanagement" and finger pointing. After 2 weeks of working at Alterna you will be close to nervous breakdown.The work/life balance means your manager calling and emailing you at 10.30 pm on Saturday night or chasing you during your lunch break. Forget advancement. Be happy that you have a job. Salaries are below standard GTA compensation. Even if you are desperate to get a job consider working at Starbucks to pay your rent but not at Alterna.
Pros
no pros
Cons
everything is con
Great benefits, absolutely terrible employer
Call Centre (Former Employee) –  Ontario24 November 2014
I had worked for a bank in the past and absolutely loved it therefor I thought Alterna would be a great fit. I was so, so wrong! From my first week of training at Alterna I had to drag myself into work every day. The training was way below sub-par and borderline unacceptable. The trainer lacks ANY and ALL training/people skills. During training (which is supposed to be 2 and a half weeks of training then two weeks on the phone and then again back in training class) ended up being 4 weeks and at the end the only thing we had learned was the trainers personal life.
Then once you are on the phones, you are constantly told and reminded of everyone who is there to help you however when you reach out for help they act as if you are a huge bother.

I strongly advise against applying for any positions within this company. Unless you enjoy being walked all over and not have any of your efforts/hard work noticed.
Pros
Health Benefits, Dental Benefits, Colleagues
Cons
Terrible/non-sufficient training, dull-to-none culture, horrible management, HR is always against you, Branch staff treats call centre staff horribly, Not a paper-saving environment AT ALL!
Positive attitude
QA ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2014
good and friendly environment helps me in competing all tasks on time,learned a lot and increase my skills.
Pros
party once in month on friday
Cons
n/a
N/A
N/A (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 October 2013
N/A- great place to work. room for advancement but compensation could be higher.
Good company benifits and salary
Manager Member Service (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON25 April 2012
A typical day went in so fast as there was always something different to do, in the years I was there I learned a lot about finance, for the most part the management was good, the co workers all got along well, we had all woked together for some time and we worked well toghether. The hardest part was the stress in trying to meet monthly goals. The most enjoyable was it was a really nice office, close to home it was a good place to work, and getting to know the customers well.
Pros
great benifits and incentives
Cons
having to leave

2.9