The Overnight Sleep/Awake Worker position is to provide support and supervision to children and youth during overnight hours. Hours of work will be Monday-Friday 1:00 am - 9:00 am.
The Overnight Worker reports to an assigned Team Leader. This position is part of the Dragonfly Program team and works in collaboration with Team Leaders, frontline staff and the Program Manager.
The position of Overnight Worker is a full-time, hourly, permanent position and is eligible for the Alta Care Resources Extended Benefits Plan (Level B) after the 3-month waiting period.
As a learning organization, we are searching for candidates, who may not possess all of the formal skills required for the role. We are however looking for the following capacities; self-directed, enjoys people, embraces team work and is a life-long learner. Alta Care Resources is willing to invest in your learning by providing the support and training in the areas required to build your competencies and capacities.
Alta Care Resources is focused on serving populations that are the hardest to serve and most vulnerable. Our actions are guided by our deep commitment to our mission:
To serve children, youth and families in a manner that builds from
resiliencies, empowers changes and transforms adversity.
As a member of the Alta Care Resources team, you will be involved in a highly dynamic human services organization that serves at-risk children, youth and families within the Edmonton region. Alta Care Resources is a progressive and exciting organization with over twenty years of experience in helping children, youth and families. All programs are currently contracted by Region 6 Edmonton and Area Children and Youth Services.
We may be the right work place for you, if you are a practitioner who:
- wants to work with families, youth and children in their greatest moment of need
- learns and grow on an on-going basis
- wants to have fun with your team and clients
- is willing to leave your “comfort zone” and change
- uses creativity, critical thinking and problem solving skills to address client needs
- wants to use data analysis and research to enhance and build quality services
- uses their judgment and decision making to ensure ethical practice
- is open to learning human services policy and procedure, legislation, laws and standards
- wants to work in an open and diverse team
- wants to have a positive impact on their community
Major Job Responsibilities
- Available to provide immediate support during crisis situations
- Help children with daily routines
- Ensures the safety and well-being of children and youth during overnight hours.
- Provide basic care, supervision and counseling of children and youth.
- Supporting children and youth in developing a range of healthy individual coping and problem solving skills, conflict and anger management skills, communication skills and life management skills to enhance emotional well-being.
- Provide a consistent, healthy and safe environment.
- Administers first aid or medical administration, according to prescribed procedures, or notifies emergency medical personnel when necessary.
- Prevention steps to avoid children and youth influencing negative behaviours in others and encouraging appropriate discussions and behaviours.
- Encouraging children and youth to comply with rules and routines.
- Participates in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
- Disciplining children or youth and recommends or initiates other measures to control physically aggressive or inappropriate behavior and ensure safety.
- In the event of an emergency situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
- Solid understanding of CYC practices and group home dynamics.
- Effective communication and schedule flexibility.
- Flexible and adaptable to a variety of situations and client needs.
- Utilizes the best interest of the client in all capacities of their job performance.
- Maintain required documentation
- Support the awake staff as required
- Ensure that documentation is performed in a professional and clear manner.
- Maintain a good understanding of CAC standards and Agency policy and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, supervisions, training and personal development as required.
Degree or diploma in a Human Services field or certified as a Child and Youth Care Worker or a minimum of 2 years experience in group care services.
Final assessment of a candidates’ suitability will be based upon the following documents:
- Professional references
- CYIM Checks
- Criminal Record Checks
- Driver’s Abstracts
- Verification of education
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume that indicate their capacity to address the needs of the clients we serve. If there is a match between the skills and experience and our agency needs, candidates will be contacted and asked to complete a written application which will be sent to them via email.
Based upon our review of the written application, those applicants who continue to describe their abilities and experiences in a manner that fulfills our agency needs will be asked to complete an assessment. The assessment will enable the candidate to determine if Alta Care Resources’ programs, services and philosophy align with individual career goals.
Final evaluation will be based on an in-person, written and interactive interview will take place. This will be the final screening activity of the application stage.
Alta Care Resources offers competitive salary and benefits packages, an engaging work environment, and career advancement opportunities.