ALS LABORATORY GROUP Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work, Horrible Management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 June 2017
Would never work for this company again. The management is horrible. The only people who get ahead are the people who suck up to the management staff and hang out with them after hours or if you are from out east. They have no respect for their workers and participate in demeaning gossip and seem to not want staff to get along or interact at all. Staff is never appreciated and advancement is not based on merit but on the friendship with the management.
after 5 years of working here
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 April 2017
The company is implementing safe and bully-free environment quite strongly, so you will meet nice people here and can work in a safe environment. The work culture is quite good. People are friendly, or at least professional. I have experienced two different divisions and bunch of different departments in the past +5 years. So my testimony is quite valid.
The salary is not that great compare to the amount of work required from you. But there is a good over time opportunity. A lot of casual employees come and go, but if you are really good, the company usually keeps you. Lay off is not necessarily depending on the seniority. So stability is not great.
Offers good benefits, but it is only available after 1 year of casual employment. Even if you work as a casual for more than a year, there is no guarantee for you to become a permanent employee. This is the worst con. It is a great place to start for an analytical chemistry graduate, and a good place to build your career. But you will eventually think about the improvement somewhere else.
Pros
good work environment, a lot to learn
Cons
cheap salary, too much turnaround of employees
fun workplace
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT5 November 2016
great work atmosphere fun caring coworkers . typical day consists of crushing rock and pulverizing samples , drying them and getting them ready to ship out.
interesting,fun,flixable
Chemical Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 July 2014
some over time, work you way up,cross training,diversity ,everyday learning new,Friendly people,great exprince
Pros
Free coffee some times
Cons
long hours some times
Good experience
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC23 July 2014
I liked this job very much. It was great experience working there. Management was great.
Worked with some amazing people.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 February 2014
The best part about the job was the positive enviroment. Great boss and very nice co-workers. I loved the freedom i had, i could work at my own pace. As long as i got my tests finished at the end of the day. I was able to think and learn.
Pros
BBQ each month
Cons
no water bottles aloud in lab (to be expected)
Productive and Fun workplace with helping co-workers
Login Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario, Canada17 December 2013
learning lot of new things from co-workers. learned time management, job related duties, and communication in professional environment. helping nature co-workers. enjoyed every part of the work. i did not feel anything hard because of help from the co-workers and supervisors.
Low pay little reward and a place where they take advantage of great workers
Laboratory assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg9 November 2013
I was paid less than minimum wage due to a union that was the worst I have ever been part of. It would have taken 5 years to make an extra $1.75. I was doing work that required skills and attention to detail but found that after 1 month of being there that no one cared and the work wasn't worth doing. There was very high turn over. There was a massive disconnect between management and the laboratory staff. The people I worked with as well as myself were worth so much more than what we were compensated for .... A good place to start if you need a part timer while completing a bachelor of sci but def not worth staying and making a life because you will never excel to what you are worth!!
Pros
Ability to add testing methods to your resume
Cons
A place that only cares about making money and not about keeping great employees around
Low Moral and Lack of Management Support
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 August 2013
Lab was poorly managed. Staff that were not qualified ( high school grads or less) allowed to analyze samples and approve data with no supervision or peer review. Very low morale among staff. Lab was very dirty. No training for staff and major safety issues not addressed. This is a terrible place to work.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lack of qualified staff and management support. Very poor work environment.
It's wonderful working in ALS Laboratory
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 June 2013
My shift is 3 to 10 pm. I enjoy the job that i am doing. My supervisor is very helpful in teaching me all the things i must do. also my co workers. The management is also very supportive. The hardest part of my job is i am always dealing with chemicals though we are provided with proper PPE. I enjoy learning new kind of work, knowing how to rate or grade coal samples from the result of what i am doing. I am willing to stay in the company if only the mining companies did not stop sending coal samples for testing. I am one of the last recruit so i am one of the first to be lay off. For what i know there are more than 15 of us who were laid off.
Inorganic Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2012
Co-workers are fun and enthusiastic

Long hours during peak season
Fun workplace with talkative co-workers.
Login Assistant (Co-Op Intern) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Ontario10 September 2012
Busy day. I learned job related to login assistant and laboratory technician. Also learned about work atmosphere. Good management. Co-operative co- workers.I didnt feel anything hard. I always enjoyed work.
Pros
every month once.
Good job with great people.
ICP-MS Analyst (Former Employee) –  north vancouver, bc30 August 2012
The typical day at work involved analyzing several hundred samples with the ICP-MS instruments, along with optimizing the instruments to optimal performance levels. I learned how to troubleshoot the instruments as well as the standard operating procedures for the instruments. My supervisors were very helpful, taught me well, and great people to work under. My coworkers were likewise great people to work with, and very helpful as well. The hardest part about working there was readjusting every week to the graveyard schedule. The most enjoyable parts of working here were my coworkers, the busy schedule, and the constant opportunities to learn.
A discount lab, profit margin is the only priority.
Senior Tech (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2012
ALS and its parent company bought out a once thriving private lab network in Canada. The formerly private lab was once known for quality above all. ALS has always had a reputation for low prices and even lower quality. ALS philosophy now prevails. Managers and senior employees of the old company were let go one by one after the takeover for not agreeing with the new company's upper management. Don't work here unless you really want to work for the Wal-Mart of testing labs, and you really enjoy working in an uncertain atmosphere, always wondering about the hidden agenda.
Pros
the sun occasionally shines through the windows.
Cons
extremely low morale.