As a result of our continuing growth, Alpha Technologies Ltd. has an opportunity for a knowledgeable, proactive SENIOR POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER to join our Engineering group in our Greater Vancouver (Burnaby) location.
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager, the SENIOR POWER ELECTRONICS ENGINEER is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, and developing high frequency switch mode power supplies using state-of-the-art and modern digital power conversion.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Develop 100W to 20kW high frequency switch mode pfc AC/DC, DC/AC and DC/DC power converters from concept to final products, using state-of-the-art digital power conversion topologies to achieve high efficiency, high power density and high performance (pfc, ZVS, current sharing, etc.)
- Research and evaluate the feasibility of new technologies and approve and provide direction on the modern topologies to be used in these new products.
- Manage technical aspects of projects by monitoring and managing project scope, plan and cost in order to achieve successful project completion.
- Provide strong technical leadership to resolve complex technical challenges.
- Lead engineering teams on a path of continual improvement; developing and improving standards and procedures to ensure we remain a leader in our industry.
- Design and select components of power converters, including transformers, inductors, embedded microcontrollers, MOSFETS, drivers, gate drive transformers, optical isolators.
- Design, model and simulate control and power circuits using simulation tools such as PCIM, PSpice, LTSpice, Simulink, Matlab.
- Develop and execute design verification testing, design evaluation, design margins, FMEA and analysis of product performance to meet electrical specifications and regulatory compliance.
- Perform design revisions and updates on new and existing products and assists in transferring designs to manufacturing, ensuring reliable and cost-effective production.
- Provide technical support, mentoring, and training of junior power electronic engineers and new team members.
- Create theory of operations for all new projects.
- Review, negotiate and/or clarify market requirements (MRD).
- Develop and/or check and approve product lifecycle documents such as project charter, plan, concept design, product specification, schematics, PCB files, BOMS, design verification and validation test reports.
Credentials & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (Masters Degree in modern power supply designs is preferred) or equivalent knowledge, training and experience.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience and a proven ability in designing high performance and cost effective power conversion products for medium volume manufacturing.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with power supply design requirements per international regulatory and product safety standards.
- Good understanding of PCB design software and Microsoft Office.
- Good knowledge of Signal conditioning, Sampling, and Digital Signal Analysis, and thermal design.
- Experience with LLC resonant topologies preferred.
- Must have well rounded knowledge of power supply design, including mechanical packaging, heatsink design, airflow, and high power density experience.
- Good knowledge of PCB manufacturing process including assembly.
- Ability to travel occasionally, including international travel.
- Ability to lead project teams; work well as part of a team and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks.
Please send your resume in MSWord. We would like to thank all applicants who apply; however, only those short-listed will be contacted for next steps.
Alpha Technologies Ltd. is an established leader in the design and manufacture of powering solutions for the Telecom, CATV (Canada), Traffic, Security, Medical, Industrial and Renewable Energy industries. The company offers a broad portfolio of high-quality, feature-rich solutions that can be customized to suit almost any application and environment offering the highest performance and best value in the industry. With a focus on being your power solutions partner, Alpha builds on over 30 years of experience to develop solutions that resolve customer’s unique powering challenges.
Indeed - 8 months ago