Alpha Better Landscaping Inc. “Count on us!”
As part of the Alpha Better Group of Companies, Alpha Better Landscaping Inc was established in 1979 and has grown to become one of Calgary’s best known and recognized landscaping companies. With over 30 years of experience in community development and commercial landscape construction, we take pride in servicing Calgary’s neighborhoods and businesses.
Our Corporate Values:
- We are at our best when we work as a team
- Competent and persistent performance
- We take pride in our work
- Treat everyone with honesty and respect
- Safety is our first priority
Type: Full-time, permanent
Reports to Title: President
Purpose: The purpose of the Controller is to provide leadership and coordination of company financial planning, debt financing, and budget management functions while ensuring that company accounting procedures conform to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Controller also streamlines processes to create reliable and timely delivery of accounting information and will play an active role in the strategic planning for the business. Additionally, the Controller is also responsible for the management of company administrative staff, office operations, payroll & benefits, and IT operations.
Direct Reports: Cost Accountant, Relationship Manager, Accounts Payable Analyst, Accounts
- Direct and coordinate company financial planning including operating and capital budget preparation, financial forecasting and financial strategic planning.
- Study economic trends and revenue opportunities for expansion prospects and assess capital requirements to fund expansion.
- Analyze organization operations; identifying opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, and system enhancements.
- Manage and monitor all accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts, payable, accounts receivable, and statutory reporting.
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal regulatory and company policies & procedures.
- Implement and monitor internal controls to ensure that accounting activities are in accordance with established legal, regulatory, and company policies & procedures.
- Compile and analyze periodic financial statements, cash flow management & projection, job cost reports, and inventory control systems.
- Direct and coordinate debt financing and debt service payments with external agencies.
- Coordinate year-end audit and preparation of financial statements.
- Monitors financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances.
- Manage the preparation of financial annual report of actual revenues & expenses, financial outlook, and financial forecasts.
- Prepare financial analysis for contract negotiations and capital purchase decisions.
- Establish and implement short and long term departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Manage overall payroll & benefits administration including approving bi-weekly payroll, approving payroll year end, and managing all employee benefit policies.
- Manage and ensure the integrity and safety of all company information technologies, including backup of file servers, office computers, laptops, printers, and other applications.
- Coach, mentor, motivate, and manage performance of direct reports including consistent performance feedback, periodic performance reviews, and implement development plans.
- Establish cross-functional training within direct reports and develop and financial continuity plan.
- Manage annual insurance renewal. Advocate & enforce company values and foster a positive a company culture.
- Posses strong project, organizational, time, and change management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to change in a very dynamic environment.
- Ability to maintain high standards of operational excellence.
- Proficiency in analysis, business comprehension, market and industry knowledge and logistical skills.
- Proven aptitude in dealing with complex operational and organizational issues.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrating influence, diplomacy, and business acumen.
- Exhibit entrepreneurial spirit and manage with integrity at all times.
- Open to continuous learning.
- Minimum 5 - 10 years of senior level finance or accounting experience.
- Minimum 5 years of accounting experience in construction industry.
- Strong knowledge of Dynamics GP, ADP, and other technical applications.
- Technically savvy and resourceful
Education: * Degree in accounting, finance, or related discipline.
To apply, please email your resume. Candidates will be contacted by phone for a pre-screen interview.