We are looking for passionate and driven people to join our team and help us grow. Find your career with us!
As part of the Alpha Better Group of Companies, Alpha Better Landscaping Inc, established in 1979, has grown to become one of Calgary’s best known and recognized landscaping companies. With our years of experience in community development and commercial landscape construction, we take pride in servicing Calgary’s neighborhoods and businesses.
Our Core Values:
- We are at our best when we work as a team
- Competent and persistent performance
- We take pride in our work
- Treat everyone with honesty and respect
- Safety is our first priority
We have an immediate opening for a Senior Estimator. If you are a results oriented, driven professional, looking to join a dynamic and growing company, then apply now!
As a Senior Estimator, you will be working closely with our Estimating Department, in the timely preparation of full cost estimates for projects including materials and labour. This position is tasked with preparing and maintaining a list of suppliers, contractors, subcontractors, and establishing unit costs, labour rates, productivity factors, and location impacts. Estimating accuracy is critical to the profitability our business and this position is a key contributor to the success and growth of our company.
- Develop & maintain client/consultant relationships to identify new business opportunities and negotiate/bid projects.
- Initiate ongoing contact and communications with existing clients to ensure priority, inclusion and preference for their landscape requirements.
- Review project plans, specifications and scope of work to establish bidding strategies with Manager, Estimating/Business Development.
- Analyse drawings and specifications, determine the duration and cost implications and incorporate them into the estimate.
- Prepare complete and accurate takeoff and estimates of project work including general condition items.
- Secure subcontractor and material pricing, checking for accuracy and coordination of content and incorporating in the general estimate.
- Apply or approve applicable overhead recoveries in the preparation and submission of formal quotes and tenders.
- Prepare the tender package including tender form, schedules and attachments.
- Approve all sub-contractors and material costs prior to award.
- Prepare/approve all PO’s and sub-contracts.
- Prepare/approve all job budgets.
- Prepare/approve all production files.
- Upon securing a project, initiate project kick-off meeting with Operations Manager and project Superintendents.
- Prepare/approve and communicate all project correspondence and change orders to keep production department current with all relevant data.
- Prepare/approve monthly progress & final invoicing.
- Attend weekly production meetings to address potential production problems/ potential client initiated issues which need to be addressed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to build exceptional relationships.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Highly organize and results oriented, with a strong personal drive.
- Proficient in planning, organizing, multi-tasking, and working independently to meet tight deadlines.
- Works well in a collaborative, team environment.
- Open to continuous learning.
- Minimum 5 – 8 years experience in estimating with a mix of landscape and civil construction in commercial or institutional setting, including a positive track record of obtaining results.
- Proficient with blueprints and blueprint software.
- Ability to use cost-estimating software to prepare cost quotes and bids.
- Computer proficiency in Windows operating system and Microsoft Office applications.
- Bid2Win and onscreen take-off experience is an asset.
- Valid driver’s licence.
- College of University Degree in Landscape Management, Engineering Technology, or Quantity Surveying.
What we offer
Alpha Better Group offers industry competitive compensation and benefits as well as training & development opportunities. We know that work life balance is important and we offer flex time as well as competitive vacation & holiday entitlement.
Our culture is currently in transition and we are passionate about achieving our corporate goal of continuous Operational Excellence. Together, we are working hard to shape our corporate culture and become an industry leader and employer of choice.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter by email with Senior Estimator, 13-138 in the subject line.