The Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver (AMS) is currently accepting applications for the position of Assistant Catering & Conference Manager in preparation for the opening of the new Student Union Building (SUB) in 2014. With an anticipated start of October 2013, the successful candidate will be a key member in assisting the new SUB project team to facilitate the preparation and execution of the transition into the new SUB in 2014 as well as ensuring the successful start of the new operation and becoming part of this new and exciting legacy.
Under the guidance of the Catering & Conference Manager, the Assistant Catering & Conference Manager is responsible for servicing AMS catered events, within the SUB and to our external clients. This role requires a self-motivated individual with excellent leadership and organizational skills to ensure timely and professional catering service to our internal and external customers. This position will schedule and supervise the efficient set-up and disassembly of conference and meeting rooms, trade shows and AV equipment in support of the Catering and Conference sales team. The ideal candidate is a hands-on, experienced manager with intermediate computer skills and superior customer service.
New Student Union Building:
The 250,000 square foot LEED Platinum Student Union Building has a projected opening date of August 2014. The new building will offer a robust mix of commercial retail, student services and a wide variety of restaurants and eateries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting clients with all aspects of their catered event, including equipment needs, schedules, deliveries, etc
- Providing friendly, prompt, courteous, professional service to all guests
- Responding to new booking inquiries in a timely and professional manner according to AMS guidelines
- Co-ordinate schedule of Catering & Conference staff for room set-ups, break-sets and reserve space in Ungerboeck (Event Management software) if required
- Reviewing Ungerboeck bookings each day to ensure successful execution of all catered events according to AMS and client standards
- Advise the Catering & Conference team of any conflicts or discrepancies of information or booked space
- Review all files received from the Catering & Conference team and ensure that all space is correctly booked in Ungerboeck
- Adhering to all AMS policies and procedures, as well as other entity regulations such as Food Safe, Liquor Laws, etc
- Working with the Catering & Conference Manager in the preparation of annual budgets and strategies, ensuring ongoing financial success of the department in co-operation with the C&C Sales Managers.
- Maintaining daily, weekly and monthly records of cash reconciliation, catering summaries, costing and month-end journal entries
- Actively managing human resource responsibilities, including but not limited to, hiring, scheduling, training, briefing, mentoring, developing, evaluating and disciplining employees (including termination)
- Exceeding and surpassing guest expectations by ensuring all orders are complete before delivery; ensuring timely deliveries and co-ordination with the catering chef food production
- Receive and review resumes and floor plans of events, as submitted by the Catering and Conference team
- Ensure that adequate equipment is available to service all bookings and advise Catering & Conference sales team if additional equipment is to be rented
- Attend weekly meetings with the Catering & Conference Sales team and Catering Conference Manager
- Complete instructions to Catering & Conference associates and post resumes, floor plans and any other required information
- Supervise and assist with set-ups, as required
- Maintain an inventory of basic supplies required to service rooms
- Maintain clean supply of all table linens and process invoices relating to laundry
- Working with the EZ Labour Payroll schedules and employee timecard management
- Working with the AMS mission statement and values to operate a successful department
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Catering experience is required, with a minimum of 2 years food service management experience.
- Ability to perform shift work (daytime, evenings, weekends and holidays) and be on-call
- Minimum Food Safe level 1 certification
- Serving-It-Right certification
- Proficient in all areas of the Ungerboeck Event Management software
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to lift up to 12 kgs (26.4lbs)
- Valid BC driver's license and a drivers abstract
- Intermediate computer skills with proficient knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word & Excel)
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages being an asset
- Cell phone would be an asset (subsidy available)
Reports To: Catering & Conference Manager
Employee Status: Full Time, Permanent
Hours per week: 37.5 hours per week
Start: October 2013
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To apply, please visit our employment site: http://www.ams.ubc.ca/employment/
Deadline: Friday, October 11th, 2013 by 4pm.
We would like to thank you for your interest in the AMS. However, due to the large volume of applications only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The AMS is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about the AMS, please visit our website: www.ams.ubc.ca
Indeed - 9 months ago