Alion Science and Technology

Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

Good first job as Analyst
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA18 November 2017
The peopel at Alion were friendl but distant. Wasn't able to connect with co-workers much. Salary was slightly below average I think but a good copany to try and break into the Contracting world, but not a lot of potential for career advancement. PTO was good or slightly above average. No pressure from managers /supervisors if you had appointments scheduled during the work shift. They allowed you to make up the time during the week or pay period. Biggest obstacle employees face is that their is virtually no career advancement within the company, I believe that stifles motivation and work production over time. I would still give the compant a decnt rating because it was a pretty laid back environment if that is what you seek.
Pros
Relaxed work place
Cons
Job Advancement
A day at Alion
Envir/Health/Safety Officer Sr (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC16 November 2017
There's always a concern if you're going to keep a government contract. Alion was all government contracts, therefore you job is dependent on what the government will be doing and cutting.
Poor Structure and and Poor Management
Alion Science Technology, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC16 November 2017
Employees are inconvenienced by company experiencing financial deficits, which derives being faced by the employees because of poor working conditions. Our repeated verbal complaints about the inadequate, raises, no training, and costly benefits, etcs in our Department have yielded no results. I am sure one can understand how this can affect the work productivity of the team.
Pros
Worklife Balance
Cons
No Growth, No Training, No Salary Increase, Bad Rapport
Not a good place to work
Sr. Contract Closeout Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VA9 November 2017
This company is always terminating their employees in bulk. When their bills get to high, they terminate people in order to pay their bills. Once their bills are caught up, they hire again.
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Not a stable place to work
Love, love, LOVE working here!!!
Program Planning & Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA31 October 2017
Alion Science and Technology is a great place to work. I was able to use my skills while acquiring new ones!!! It was great working with a Team and accomplishing goals together.
Good job, poor upper management
Terrain Database Developer (Former Employee) –  VA30 October 2017
Alion was a good company to start working for right out of college, but it's not a good company to work for long term. There are no advancement opportunities, the compensation is low, and there is too much middle/upper management who only care about themselves.
ReOrg
Operations Assistant Lead./Human Resources Liaison (Current Employee) –  Mount Arlington, NJ27 October 2017
I lost my job due to ReOrganization. It was a great job for many years however; the last two years have left a rather unsavory taste in my mouth. Perhaps when the reOrg is over it will be a better place to work.
Body shop
Principal Functional Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rome, NY13 October 2017
You work on government contracts. When they go away so do you. Senior management and business development sat around like they were at a resort. Very rarely did they leave the building to develop business. It was up to you to generate business and do the work.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Revolving door. No job stability.
Remote contractor
Costing/Budget Analyst (Telecommute) (Current Employee) –  Schriever AFB, CO3 October 2017
Since I worked remotely from the home office, I did not get the full experience of what Alion was really like. My manager trusted me to do my job so there was little managerial interfacing.
Pros
Little managerial interference
Cons
Amount of paid time off
Not Stable or Reliable For Me
Associate Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rome, NY30 September 2017
I worked in an office location and my only job functions were research and technical writing. I gained a lot experience, but the office was closed and I had to find other work. Benefits were poor at the time I worked for this company.
Pros
Great work environment. Travel
Cons
Low job security for newer employees
Dreary workplace, poor management
Senior Technical Editor, Writer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA28 September 2017
Cold, lockstep office. Management more interested in keeping their government contract than in producing a superior product. Very poor management skills throughout.
Pros
Checks cleared
Cons
Office caters to zombies
Excellent Management
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VA21 September 2017
Worked for the Government Contracts Support Center. Management of this team was extraordinary. Focus was allowed to be on providing good services for Government mission.
Challenging
Senior Vice President, Government Relations (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA18 September 2017
Always on one's toes in challenging interesting involvements with fascinating people and an opportunity to interact with those on the Hill and in other government deparetments.
Great place
Alion Marine Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MS18 September 2017
Great Management and very hard working employees, days off, PTO and lunch days, quality of work is also very good, could be better with organization.
An enjoyable and good challeging working enviroment
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Mount Arlington, NJ13 September 2017
A enjoyably and challenging working environment providing opportunities to expand your skill set.

The company provides the opportunity to advance as you meet the challenges of your position.
Pros
Enjoyed working with my peers and the many customers
Good balance between career and family, with a lot of negative issues.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH22 August 2017
Little effort into training new individuals. Management shows minimal interest in employee retention. The company is somewhat flexible in work hours but that does depend on the position that is held. There is not a lot of team unity. The pay is decent, however, the benefits are somewhat lackluster in comparison to similar types of companies.
Pros
Tend to work with employees when time off is needed
Cons
PTO is a lot less than other contracting companies.
Fast Pace and Friendly Environment
Senior Subcontract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VA17 August 2017
I enjoy working at Alion. The work is continuous and fast pace but the people you work with and for are friendly and helpful. I am constantly learning new things which makes things interesting and also I am able to provide guidance to newer SCAs.
Pros
A cafeteria in the same building, friendly people who you work with, office is located centrally and close to restaurants
Cons
fast pace and alot of work
Project Control
Project Controller (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC27 July 2017
Project control department is a work in process. Many changes are occurring so things are not easy at the moment but things do look to improve. There are a lot of good project controllers in the group to learn from but standard training is lacking.
Very good small company to start your career
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD19 June 2017
The atmosphere is almost a family oriented culture. Everyone is very friendly and helps one another. Good place to start your career. This is where I started my tech career here in Maryland
Great benefits but Job uncertainy is High
EPA Contractor (Current Employee) –  Athens, GA6 June 2017
I enjoy working for Alion Science and Technology, but in this tumultuous political climate, their Government contracts in some areas are not very strong.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Job uncertainty is high