Alion Science and Technology

Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

Project Control
Project Controller (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC27 July 2017
Project control department is a work in process. Many changes are occurring so things are not easy at the moment but things do look to improve. There are a lot of good project controllers in the group to learn from but standard training is lacking.
Very good small company to start your career
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD19 June 2017
The atmosphere is almost a family oriented culture. Everyone is very friendly and helps one another. Good place to start your career. This is where I started my tech career here in Maryland
Great benefits but Job uncertainy is High
EPA Contractor (Current Employee) –  Athens, GA6 June 2017
I enjoy working for Alion Science and Technology, but in this tumultuous political climate, their Government contracts in some areas are not very strong.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Job uncertainty is high
Great working environment
Acquisition Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA1 June 2017
A medium size company that puts value into their employees. The workplace culture is very business. The hardest part of the job is the commute and parking is not reimbursed.
Flexible, relaxed working environment
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM19 May 2017
Great place if you can work independently. Co-workers are excellent people. Unfortunately, the work is in a "niche" market and so limited amount of work available. If you are not assertive, it may be difficult to compete for work. To advance, you need to sell, sell, sell. When you train as an engineer, you don't want to have that pressure.
Really big company
Sr. Program Planning and Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC17 May 2017
I loved my time working at Alion however, since it was such a big company it was challenging to climb the corporate ladder. I learned that bigger companies are not necessarily the power houses they used to be.
Pros
In the middle of D.C
Cons
Near really bad parts of town
Relaxed but business-like place to work
Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MD13 May 2017
I enjoyed my temporary position with this company and hope to be back with them. Everyone was very friendly and great to work with.
Management was professional. Once trained on the job, there was no micro-managing. You were left to do the job.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Some GREAT people and managers, some quite mediocre managers
Marine Engineer Lead (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC12 May 2017
Alion can be a very good environment, but that depends greatly on the individual manager and contract. In the past few years, however, the company has gone from offering competitive pay and good benefits to being far less competitive as the leadership has undergone dramatic changes. The good environment can be overcome much in the right group, but management needs to concern itself far more with retaining employees.
Pros
Some very comfortable working environments
Cons
Cost cutting has greatly decreased the enjoy-ability and competitiveness of the company
Great Place to work
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VA17 April 2017
I have been working here for over eight years. It has been challenging work and fun. This was my first programming job after graduating college. The work schedule is very flexible and the work life balance is great. Easy to get raises as long as you work hard and do your job well.
Pros
Flexible hours, good benefits.
Very good environment
Senior Data Specialist (Secret Clearance required) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC5 April 2017
Staff is very friendly and supportive. You can definitely balance your work and life schedule around this company. Did I mention they have a great 401k plan
QUALITY ASSURANCE PLANNER (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VA23 March 2017
Amazing job atmosphere. This has been a very welcoming company since I first started. I've been given a decent amount of creative control within my job description and it is nice to feel that the work I do is appreciated
Cons
Job security is based on whether your contract has gotten renewed or not.
Don't plan on working here long term.
Associate Chemist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 March 2017
Alion Science grew very quickly through the acquisition of many government contracts. They were not able to scale very effectively and they tend to lose contracts as quickly as they win them. WHen they do, they turf all existing staff with little forethought and no attempt to offer anyone positions elsewhere.
Very structured and teaching workplace
Drafter (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VA21 February 2017
A typical day at work could be anything from designing, drafting new drawings to providing test site support on naval bases across the country. I also have completed multiple ship checks to gain information on new projects or complete maintenance on UNREP equipment.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lots of travel
Excellent headquarters support staff
Communications Analyst Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA6 February 2017
My experience with Alion was overwhelmingly positive. Each interaction with management was pleasant and made me feel like a valued member of the team.
Next to No Management
Software Engineer Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA27 January 2017
When working for Alion, I was hoping to find a company that would adequately teach me the basics of Software Engineering. However, when I started, I placed in room largely by myself and forced to learn on the job. Because of this, I had great difficultly doing what I was asked to do. I do not recommend this position for someone just starting out.
Great people in the office, but not the best upper management staff.
Senior Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GA11 January 2017
I enjoyed my time here as an intern. The people I got to work with were great, but there seemed to be some problems with the management staff that led to the company not thriving as it should.
Prepare financial statements, and other reports.
Senior Financial Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  2nd & M street, Washington, DC6 January 2017
A typical day at work is performing budgets, financial report and management reports.
I learned to work better with employee on financial work. I work effectively with my co-worker and management. The hardest part of the job was analyzing employees issues to other employees, and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting management satisfaction.
Pros
Produce long term financial reports.
Cons
Prepare short financial reports
Needs to provide better training to employees
LEAD LOGISTICS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC28 December 2016
A decent company. Needs to improve on training options for all employees. As a new employee, you're kind of thrown into the fire and having to figure out everything as you go. No one is there to guide you or set you up with the proper training to be able to do your job. Great people to be around, just need better training options.
Summer Intern
Senior Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC24 December 2016
They will challenge you to provide real work for the company, and as a result, you will gain loads of experience to talk about in any job interview you encounter. It doesn't pay as much as others, but it certainly forces you to learn and contribute meaningful work that you will be proud of.
Great company
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA20 December 2016
Working for Alion was a great experience. The only reason I left was the commute was a bit much for me at the time. Great staff. Family oriented...