Alion Science and Technology

Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent place to grow
Senior Marine Engineer (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VANovember 18, 2014
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time while here at Alion. They arean excellent place to bond as a team.
The management is fair and supportive.
Any goals expected of you are plainly stated far in advance.
All of the people I have encountered in the workplace are helpful and know that they are part of a team. Any shortfalls that may occur are quickly taken – more... care by coworkers of without reservation. – less
Not very productive or organized
Sr. Science assistant necropsy (Former Employee), Durham, NCOctober 29, 2014
Not a friendly company to work for. Need new management and new direction
Nice Place to work
Program Planning Analyst/Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: co-workers are nice.
Cons: you may have a lot of different managers
Pretty manageable days at work. Not very hard work so far but, I haven't worked her long. Company seems to be good.
Great Environment
Senior Subcontract Administrator (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 23, 2014
The team I work for is great!

Daily I support 4 different program managers and assist in problem solving. Funding subcontractors, issuing subcontract agreements, etc.
Decent Place to start out or end up
Senior Acquisition Analyst (Current Employee), DCOctober 18, 2014
You have some control over the contracts you work on, so you can pick clients that are fast-paced, or you can have much more laid back clients. They do a good job tryign to retain employees, but struggle, like many companies these days, with monetary promotions.

Would be nice if there was more training and mentorship from management. There are a handfull – more... of really good manager's though... And either way, you generally interact with your clients, not necessarily your managers.. – less
Good place for those new to the workforce
Senior Acquisition Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule and work from home opportunities
Cons: poor compensation and benefits
Alion Science is a great place for those starting out in the contracting business.

Work days are normal and comparable to other average contracting firms. Management is not the greatest as information is not relayed to employees well and politics is often odd and difficult to work with. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the fact that we are a – more... severely understaffed and under-qualified contract. Alion prefers to hire less experienced, cheaper personnel to attempt to fill high profile and hectic government programs. It has not worked well. – less
Productive Workplace
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Washington DCOctober 14, 2014
Alion Science Corporation was a productive workplace. Just the project I was on, the potential for growth was limited. Benefits, Pay, etc were pretty much in line with the industry standard.
Very reliable
Senior Data Specialist (Contract) (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 6, 2014
Great company to work for, with a great environment also. Manager on site gets a long with everyone.
Not sure on the future of the company.
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Warrenville, ILSeptember 22, 2014
Cons: management, retirement plan, communication between management and employees
After the recent shut down of the hydraulic lab, the future of the company isn't looking great. Primarily intended to do test-work for GSI-191, and contracting out all testing to 3rd party labs isn't a great combination. They furlough employees due to lack of work, then put them onto part-time so they don't have to continue paying benefits. A full office – more... and laboratory has trickled down to 3 employees including an admin person in three years time. Pretty sad. – less
Great company
Military Analyst (Former Employee), Fort Belvoir, VAAugust 8, 2014
Project managers work hard to get you placed on new contracts as existing ones come to a close.
On-site with the client
Web Content Manager (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 2, 2014
Working on site with the Air Force client is very rewarding. We have little to no interaction with the corporate office.
Great place to work!
Cash Analyst (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 12, 2014
Pros: summer hours!
Cons: none1
Busy environment! Great co-workers! The hardest part of the job was deadlines! The most enjoyable part was getting summer hours! Management was very open-minded!
A good company to work for
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 11, 2014
Pros: excellent people to work with
Cons: stability of company is questionable
• Assigned to the Integrated Logistics Support team for the Standard Missile 2 and 6 programs under the IWS 3.0 contract through the United States Department of the Navy
• Assigned to provide "cradle to grave" life cycle for support for these systems while in use on United States Navy surface ships
• Assigned to the acquisition of replacement parts – more... needed for the systems in the event that they malfunction
• Assigned to coach and train United States Navy personnel on how to use various systems as well as how to maintain the systems
• Assigned to develop training manuals for United States Navy Personnel on how to properly operate the systems – less
productive and fun based
Senior Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Burr Ridge, IllinoisJune 10, 2014
Pros: we always had lunch parties together
Cons: when some of the staff went to a different location
a typical day at work was coming in the office checking emails, gathering up the invoices for processing, getting the correct approvals and signatures for payment, making sure the invoices are within the period of performance dates, the co workers were like family and still are like family the hardest part of the job there wasn't really a hard part – more... the most enjoyable part is just seeing the same people our group was one big happy family. – less
Very little employee involvement
Senior Military Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 4, 2014
Pros: close to metro/customer
Cons: poor compensation, long hours, cramped office spaces
The managers are not in touch with the employees or there needs. They are very concerned with what they can get out of you without giving you something in return.
Sign your soul to the devil.....
Research Physicist (Former Employee), Dayton, OhioMay 12, 2014
Pros: obscene salary & buffoon managers
Cons: "a corporate culture, not a research culture."
The worst employer, well probably third to WalMart or a Russian prostitution ring. I was at their Ohio location, and was hired to work with research peers at AFRL as a Computational Physicist. Here are the reasons you should start running and not look back:

(1) First and foremost, to get it out there - they fired me since I was unable to get a clearance – more... (yes, my youth was fun, and I did enjoy the concerts). However, during the hiring process I made it the strongest point to inform them I was likely ineligible, and was assured "oh, that won't definitely be a problem."

(2) Secondly, I was working in Germany and turned down an Austrian Habilitation for this post. They promised $5k to cover the moving expenses. It was never given.

(3) Management is obsessed with time cards. I was actually told by this employer "Take time off. Your billable hours are too high the past month." So let me get this straight - you don't want me to work??

(4) I was hired to run scientific computations. That means access to a HPC, which again they promised but never fulfilled. Three months before I officially started, I sent my desktop requirements. It took three months after I started for the funding to be approved and the computer purchased through some convoluted funding scheme. That's three months of downtime spent "twiddling my fingers" in the office (spent on other non-billable projects).

(5) I became quite belligerent with management - they are much more interested in maintaining a corporate culture than in scientific progress. Most of my 'supervisors' didn't even have a Master's degree. The office I worked had some fifteen people on the payroll - only two of us were actual scientists doing work. Also they're all old and ready to die - the next youngest person in the office (I was 33) was in their late 50s. The rest was just administration for the military contracts!

(6) My final opinion of this company: a retirement home for military burnouts.

They offer an amazing salary, and the benefit package was quite good (obviously not good enough to gain my loyalty). The computer I requested was finally approved, and cost $10k. I figure they owed $5k for moving expenses and $5k in backpay, so I walked out with the computer. At least security was pretty lax - their "secrets" were all in one safe in a corner office that any enterprising spy could access!

If you do decide to sign your soul over, make sure you get a good employment lawyer to go over the contracts - these subhumans will find any loophole possible to jew you. I curse the lot of them to nut cancer and bleeding hemorrhoids for their worthless life's remainder. – less
High stress
Part Time Computer Professional (Former Employee), Mount Arlington, NJMay 2, 2014
Pros: hoping to bring order to chaos and the travel distance
Cons: the management style
It was a high stress job with lots of yelling. I tried to do my job, improve the records storage and accuracy but was stopped by corporate.
I love working for US gov't contractors and giving back to this nation but this position was very difficult due to the business matrix.
I needed the job and so I stuck it out.
2 coworkers were wonderful. One has – more... since left and the other is looking. – less
Great work location
Program Plan Control Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 29, 2014
Pros: dc area commut accessable
Cons: traffic
Being in the DC area was a great location to work. great family oriented work place. Good moral for the office and employees.
Terrible company...no ethics.
Contractor (Former Employee), DCApril 8, 2014
This is absolutely the worst company I have EVER worked for and I have worked for over 30 years. Management is spineless and will NOT take a stand for integrity. Totally worthless management that should ALL be replaced.
Great job with great advancement opportunities.
Chief, Public Affairs and Visitor Relations (Former Employee), Hampton, VAMarch 26, 2014
Medium-sized consulting company with lots of competition in many fields. However, public affairs was not one of them. I had one of only two PR positions, and the other was the vice president at headquarters. No advancement.

1 2 3

About Alion Science and Technology

Alion creates alliances between science and big government. Alion Science and Technology is an employee-owned development and – Read more

Alion Science and Technology Photos