Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

Sign your soul to the devil.....
Research Physicist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OhioMay 12, 2014
The worst employer, well probably third to WalMart or a Russian prostitution ring. I was at their Ohio location, and was hired to work with research peers at AFRL as a Computational Physicist. Here are the reasons you should start running and not look back:

(1) First and foremost, to get it out there - they fired me since I was unable to get a clearance (yes, my youth was fun, and I did enjoy the concerts). However, during the hiring process I made it the strongest point to inform them I was likely ineligible, and was assured "oh, that won't definitely be a problem."

(2) Secondly, I was working in Germany and turned down an Austrian Habilitation for this post. They promised $5k to cover the moving expenses. It was never given.

(3) Management is obsessed with time cards. I was actually told by this employer "Take time off. Your billable hours are too high the past month." So let me get this straight - you don't want me to work??

(4) I was hired to run scientific computations. That means access to a HPC, which again they promised but never fulfilled. Three months before I officially started, I sent my desktop requirements. It took three months after I started for the funding to be approved and the computer purchased through some convoluted funding scheme. That's three months of downtime spent "twiddling my fingers" in the office (spent on other non-billable projects).

(5) I became quite belligerent with management - they are much more interested in maintaining a corporate culture than in scientific progress. Most of my 'supervisors' didn't even have a Master's degree. The
  more... office I worked had some fifteen people on the payroll - only two of us were actual scientists doing work. Also they're all old and ready to die - the next youngest person in the office (I was 33) was in their late 50s. The rest was just administration for the military contracts!

(6) My final opinion of this company: a retirement home for military burnouts.

They offer an amazing salary, and the benefit package was quite good (obviously not good enough to gain my loyalty). The computer I requested was finally approved, and cost $10k. I figure they owed $5k for moving expenses and $5k in backpay, so I walked out with the computer. At least security was pretty lax - their "secrets" were all in one safe in a corner office that any enterprising spy could access!

If you do decide to sign your soul over, make sure you get a good employment lawyer to go over the contracts - these subhumans will find any loophole possible to jew you. I curse the lot of them to nut cancer and bleeding hemorrhoids for their worthless life's remainder.
Pros
obscene salary & buffoon managers
Cons
"a corporate culture, not a research culture."
I would not recommend Alion to anyone....
Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shaw AFB, SCOctober 22, 2012
I worked there for nearly two years, and suffered discrimination and harassment by a new manager after being at the company for over a year. When I brought the issue up with senior management and HR, I was met with a warning and told to never complain again "or else". I had perfect performance reviews before this. The management would sit around and balance their checkbooks and watch TV all day, with no idea what the worker bees did. I often worked over 130 hours in an 80 hour pay period, and was never compensated for it. Sometimes, I was even asked to lie about the time on my timecard. Furthermore, there was no potential for career or salary growth, unless you want to move into management. I will not be surprised if I see Alion get in serious trouble for illegal behavior and ethics violations.
Pros
ok salary
Cons
poor management. terrible hr. lack of ethical behavior. lack of compensation for regular, excessive overtime.
Worried about all the wrong things
Chemist (Former Employee) –  SomewhereMay 15, 2013
They will throw you under the bus the first chance they get. They hire through contractors, and do not bring people into the company. They use accounting and management tricks to keep people on a contract basis instead of actually hiring them. Do not join Alion unless you are actually hired through their company unless you want to stay a temporary employee. This makes it easier to fire you when management messes up and then wants to get rid of somebody. No loyalty to their employees. Say they have training set up for employees, but make it almost impossible to actually get training, since they squeeze every penny. Worried more about the bottom line than actually doing the work they are supposed to do.
Pros
actually had a laid-back time-off policy, which was nice.
Cons
feel very temporary and worried every second about keeping your job.
Typical day
Information Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alion Science and Technology Lanham, MDFebruary 2, 2015
• Analyze DNS logs daily to pull malicious URL’s to be analyzed, filtered out and blocked.
• Test Malware samples in a Sandbox environment. Use Wireshark, Process Explorer, Install rite, and other various tools
• Monitor user usages and applications Phone Factor/VPN/Microsoft Azure/ and Two Factor Authentication
• Add and remove filters in the LEM {Log Event Manager} as necessary
• Use Websense to add and remove Malicious URL’s, monitor band with, and filter out bad websites daily for the whole Enterprise.
• Build and run cables in server room for new and old Appliances.
• Act as a tier two helpdesk for tier one as needed.
• Provide analysis and monitoring so Source Fire and Snort on as needed basis
• Use the Ghost application to image machines that come to our location with any type of infection.
Pros
great parking
Cons
no room for growth
Solid company that took care of top performers in volatile business enviroment.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Stafford VAJanuary 8, 2014
Supervised from four to nine individuals in diverse skills, to include engineering, logistics, and acquisition. In addition, these individuals were from various companies as not one company supported the programs - there was a prime and substitutes. As a sub, I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to be a program manger/team lead and I think this speaks to my abilities. Supported the government in decision making and document creation. worked under time and fiscal constraints placed on us by the government (customer). The support included testing of weapon systems and ammunition, the re-build of construction equipment returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, and the acquisition of new mine detecting equipment.
Pros
support from management
Cons
long commute
Average at best.
Senior Acquisition Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pentagon, DCJanuary 12, 2016
Although an "Alion employee," this is in name only for pay, benefits, and tax purposes only. Am really an employee of the contract. When the contract ends, employment with Alion ends. No opportunity for advancement. Have never discussed future growth opportunities in Alion with any Alion leadership. Lost over $40,000 when Alion stock tanked and Alion was bought at $1.25 per share. Think Enron. Pay frozen for past 2+ years. Cut out of government award fee bonus. Would not recommend Alion as a place for employment unless it's the only option until find something better.
Pros
Mission of supporting men and women of the United States Armed Forces.
Cons
No company loyalty, No growth opportunity, Pay freeze, Cut out of award fee bonus, Poor leadership and management produced drop of stock value from $40 to $1 per share when sold.
A HORRIBLE WORKING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2013
When I started working with Alion I had some wonderful managers, I was "Employee of the Month" but when the project that I was assigned to ended I was transferred to a different manager and it was a horrible experience. I was micro managed and placed in a hostile working environment. I am still having nightmares. I know that I am good at what I do but these people had me second guessing myself. I hated going to work and sometimes I would be in tears while at work. I was mistreated by everyone in the office. Filing a compliant with HR was useless. When they started cutting the budget I knew that they would laid me off and I have to be honest with you I was happy that I would no longer have to work with those people.
Cons
salaries are really low (if you are looking for a $15, 000 pay cut alion is the place to work)
Needs improvement
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2013
Alion has nice people working hard everyday. The problem the lack of good management and leadership to lead their teams.

The company refuses to buy up-to-date software that is the industry standard, when they could save training time on new hires and quicker turn around in deliverable's.

Training is little to none, which is hard on newer employees getting up to speed to be more helpful to the team.

Excessive time is spent on sub accruals due to changing requirements and excessive backup that bring no more accuracy to the actual invoice costs.

Alion has many good workers, but their processes are very labor intensive to common deliverable's that took far less time at other companies.
Pros
nice people - co-workers
Cons
software, processes, lack of training, management/leadership
A good company to work for
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 11, 2014
• Assigned to the Integrated Logistics Support team for the Standard Missile 2 and 6 programs under the IWS 3.0 contract through the United States Department of the Navy
• Assigned to provide "cradle to grave" life cycle for support for these systems while in use on United States Navy surface ships
• Assigned to the acquisition of replacement parts needed for the systems in the event that they malfunction
• Assigned to coach and train United States Navy personnel on how to use various systems as well as how to maintain the systems
• Assigned to develop training manuals for United States Navy Personnel on how to properly operate the systems
Pros
excellent people to work with
Cons
stability of company is questionable
Good place for those new to the workforce
Senior Acquisition Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 18, 2014
Alion Science is a great place for those starting out in the contracting business.

Work days are normal and comparable to other average contracting firms. Management is not the greatest as information is not relayed to employees well and politics is often odd and difficult to work with. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the fact that we are a severely understaffed and under-qualified contract. Alion prefers to hire less experienced, cheaper personnel to attempt to fill high profile and hectic government programs. It has not worked well.
Pros
flexible work schedule and work from home opportunities
Cons
poor compensation and benefits

Want to know more about Alion Science and Technology?

Ask a question
Productive and Fast Paced Workplace
Senior Controller (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2012
Finance is on a monthly calendar cycle but there are a lot of ad hoc jobs to do on a daily or weekly basis. I have learned how to manage my time extremely well and how to juggle a lot of projects or deliverables at once and how to prioritize them. I have learned how to present my financial data in a way that senior management can understand and appreciate. I work very closely with my boss and have learned a lot from her as a manager and as someone who analyzes financial data. We have a finance team that I work closely with, as a leader in training and analysis.
I think the most important thing I have learned at my current job is how to be accountable.
Excellent work environment
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 16, 2015
The Pascagoula office is a wonderful workplace. The people are very friendly and helpful. It is a laid back environment where you do not have constant stress.

For my job title, there is no advancement unless you are willing to relocate.

The company as a whole is horribly mismanaged. Stock prices have been driven down from $44 a share to being bought out at $1.19 a share. As bad as this company has been managed, there has been no change at top level, who still receives bonuses.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Horrible top level management that should have been fired if this were a public traded company.
Fun place to work with respectable ethics
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 17, 2012
Entirely desk work, most days are spent writing reports or doing calculations from CAD models or CFD results. The work comradery is what drives the office. The project managers are on either extreme, very good or completely negligent. The most difficult part of the job is trying to make deadlines with a negligent manager while still adhering to all the quality assurance procedures. While creating CAD models is enjoyable, colleagues are very entertaining and the office environment is very laid back.
Pros
employment and fun work environment
Cons
work is not very challenging
Not sure on the future of the company.
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILSeptember 22, 2014
After the recent shut down of the hydraulic lab, the future of the company isn't looking great. Primarily intended to do test-work for GSI-191, and contracting out all testing to 3rd party labs isn't a great combination. They furlough employees due to lack of work, then put them onto part-time so they don't have to continue paying benefits. A full office and laboratory has trickled down to 3 employees including an admin person in three years time. Pretty sad.
Cons
management, retirement plan, communication between management and employees
productive and fun based
Senior Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, IllinoisJune 10, 2014
a typical day at work was coming in the office checking emails, gathering up the invoices for processing, getting the correct approvals and signatures for payment, making sure the invoices are within the period of performance dates, the co workers were like family and still are like family the hardest part of the job there wasn't really a hard part the most enjoyable part is just seeing the same people our group was one big happy family.
Pros
we always had lunch parties together
Cons
when some of the staff went to a different location
Curriculum Developer/Technical Trainer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 14, 2012
I was an instructor for their laser systems that they were teaching the US Navy. Everyday was different, I traveled 90% of the time in and out of the United States. One of the most enjoyable part of the job, was knowing that I was teaching the young men and women of the US Navy/USMC how to stay safe in harms way. One of the hardest part of the job, was because we worked with weapons, if one was unsafe...I had to remove them from the classes and this would affect their careers down the road.
Pros
travel
Cons
long hours with no overtime pay
Upper level management is non existant. Horrible company!
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Crane, IndianaMarch 17, 2014
Worst job experience I've ever had. Upper level manager was a self-serving, egoistical, megalomaniac.
This culture was fed from the top down. Middle managers afraid to make a decision because of loosing their jobs. They will typically take a hard charging employee and fed them to the lions to avoid risk.
Alion is a company that offers absolutely no chance for advancement, team work or work satisfaction.
Pros
they paid me well
Cons
company needs a management overhaul!
Decent Place to start out or end up
Senior Acquisition Analyst (Current Employee) –  DCOctober 18, 2014
You have some control over the contracts you work on, so you can pick clients that are fast-paced, or you can have much more laid back clients. They do a good job tryign to retain employees, but struggle, like many companies these days, with monetary promotions.

Would be nice if there was more training and mentorship from management. There are a handfull of really good manager's though... And either way, you generally interact with your clients, not necessarily your managers..
Underutilized Potential
Technical Editor/Writer Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2015
Day-to-day tasks are to just do what the government client wants. There is no room for suggestions or creative ideas whether for process, product, or office moral.

There is no room for even anonymous suggestions and/or a human resources person to talk to on site.

The company itself is average. The office culture is mundane at best.
Pros
I am approved to work from home for some of my Unpaid Time.
Cons
No sick days and limited PTO. No suggestion boxes or ways to improve moral.
High stress
Part Time Computer Professional (Former Employee) –  Mount Arlington, NJMay 2, 2014
It was a high stress job with lots of yelling. I tried to do my job, improve the records storage and accuracy but was stopped by corporate.
I love working for US gov't contractors and giving back to this nation but this position was very difficult due to the business matrix.
I needed the job and so I stuck it out.
2 coworkers were wonderful. One has since left and the other is looking.
Pros
hoping to bring order to chaos and the travel distance
Cons
the management style