Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

Good to get your foot in the door
Associate Program Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC16 February 2018
Alion is good for getting your foot in the door. However, it lives up to its reputation of low pay, poor management, and no career advancement. You have to threaten to leave in order to get a raise or get promoted.
Alion Leadership at Client Site was Exceptional
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VA13 February 2018
Alion Manager at Client Site was very sharp. Always identified by client to do strategic planning for the office and to lead staff in developing new ideas and programs.
Pros
Supportive Leadership
Isolated office
Senior Engineering Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Grantsburg, WI7 February 2018
While the Grantsburg office does quality engineering and design work, it sometimes moves too slowly due to how far it is physically situated from its clients and the rest of the company.
Employee Morale? What's that?
Indirect Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC31 January 2018
The Management team at Alion does not understand nor value the value of fostering a positive work environment that motivates employees to continue performing well. There is a noticeable lack of trust or enthusiasm amongst the worker-bees and the middle management. Most decision just happen to you, and not with you. If you are not a technical person that charges directly to the Government clients you are not valued nor appreciated. Nobody says "thank you" at this company. Oh and they underpay on top of that.
Pros
Location.
Cons
Everything besides the location.
Alion Science
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA23 January 2018
Very enjoyable work environment. Mentorship was provided and training. Benefits were good. Skills applied and learned a lot about Government contact work.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Contract job
It was a great working enviorment
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 January 2018
I think there was an issue with the accounting director. He wasn't very friendly and had outbursts at times. It didn't bother me because he was always polite to me.
Pros
pay, and the working enviorments, location
Cons
no cons
Boring, Under Worked, Poor Management
Lead Marine Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 2000313 January 2018
My time was short at Alion Science due to the management structure, under utilization of my skills and those around me and no obvious opportunity for advancement.
Pros
No Stress, Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Boring, Unclear Advancement Paths
Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MS28 December 2017
Responsible for monitoring contract requirements until completion. Maintained databases with current and update information. Assisted in proofreading form and letters from other departments.
Not a bad place
Joint Strike Fighter IOC/ Sustainment Planner (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA27 December 2017
the JPO COR made it tough. It was tough being a sub-company and the parent company not understanding what you did. Parent company needs constant reminders of your position to get through requests.
Hardest part of the job
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crystal City, VA18 December 2017
Alion is a great company. The only thing I wish was a little better is the PTO set up. Currently we get a little less than 4 hours per pay period and no sick leave. So it takes us about 3 pay periods to earn a full day of leave.
Overall good place to work
Enterprise IT and Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VA15 December 2017
Stong technology company with a strong customer base. I enjoyed my work and the environment. Lots of skilled individuals and lots to learn. Good place to work.
Pros
Nice company
Cons
So communication issues
Overall a Nice company to work with
Marine Engineer Associate (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MS13 December 2017
Overall the work environment is straight forward. As long as you meet your weekly requirements and quota for the week there are no issues. Management works with its employees very well, especially with personal issues. Parking at times is stressful and the overall walk in and out from the parking lot to the office trailer takes 20 minutes one way on average. Reasonable work hours and comfortable environment are a plus. Lack of overall budget for needed equipment can be aggravating at times.
Pros
Good overall work environment. Straight forward expectations.
Cons
Lack of Budget for needed Equipment
Good first job as Analyst
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA18 November 2017
The peopel at Alion were friendl but distant. Wasn't able to connect with co-workers much. Salary was slightly below average I think but a good copany to try and break into the Contracting world, but not a lot of potential for career advancement. PTO was good or slightly above average. No pressure from managers /supervisors if you had appointments scheduled during the work shift. They allowed you to make up the time during the week or pay period. Biggest obstacle employees face is that their is virtually no career advancement within the company, I believe that stifles motivation and work production over time. I would still give the compant a decnt rating because it was a pretty laid back environment if that is what you seek.
Pros
Relaxed work place
Cons
Job Advancement
A day at Alion
Envir/Health/Safety Officer Sr (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC16 November 2017
There's always a concern if you're going to keep a government contract. Alion was all government contracts, therefore you job is dependent on what the government will be doing and cutting.
Poor Structure and and Poor Management
Alion Science Technology, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC16 November 2017
Employees are inconvenienced by company experiencing financial deficits, which derives being faced by the employees because of poor working conditions. Our repeated verbal complaints about the inadequate, raises, no training, and costly benefits, etcs in our Department have yielded no results. I am sure one can understand how this can affect the work productivity of the team.
Pros
Worklife Balance
Cons
No Growth, No Training, No Salary Increase, Bad Rapport
Not a good place to work
Sr. Contract Closeout Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VA9 November 2017
This company is always terminating their employees in bulk. When their bills get to high, they terminate people in order to pay their bills. Once their bills are caught up, they hire again.
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Not a stable place to work
Love, love, LOVE working here!!!
Program Planning & Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA31 October 2017
Alion Science and Technology is a great place to work. I was able to use my skills while acquiring new ones!!! It was great working with a Team and accomplishing goals together.
Good job, poor upper management
Terrain Database Developer (Former Employee) –  VA30 October 2017
Alion was a good company to start working for right out of college, but it's not a good company to work for long term. There are no advancement opportunities, the compensation is low, and there is too much middle/upper management who only care about themselves.
ReOrg
Operations Assistant Lead./Human Resources Liaison (Current Employee) –  Mount Arlington, NJ27 October 2017
I lost my job due to ReOrganization. It was a great job for many years however; the last two years have left a rather unsavory taste in my mouth. Perhaps when the reOrg is over it will be a better place to work.
Body shop
Principal Functional Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rome, NY13 October 2017
You work on government contracts. When they go away so do you. Senior management and business development sat around like they were at a resort. Very rarely did they leave the building to develop business. It was up to you to generate business and do the work.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Revolving door. No job stability.