Alion Science and Technology

Alion Science and Technology Employee Reviews

Great people in the office, but not the best upper management staff.
Senior Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GA11 January 2017
I enjoyed my time here as an intern. The people I got to work with were great, but there seemed to be some problems with the management staff that led to the company not thriving as it should.
Prepare financial statements, and other reports.
Senior Financial Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  2nd & M street, Washington, DC6 January 2017
A typical day at work is performing budgets, financial report and management reports.
I learned to work better with employee on financial work. I work effectively with my co-worker and management. The hardest part of the job was analyzing employees issues to other employees, and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting management satisfaction.
Pros
Produce long term financial reports.
Cons
Prepare short financial reports
Needs to provide better training to employees
LEAD LOGISTICS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC28 December 2016
A decent company. Needs to improve on training options for all employees. As a new employee, you're kind of thrown into the fire and having to figure out everything as you go. No one is there to guide you or set you up with the proper training to be able to do your job. Great people to be around, just need better training options.
Summer Intern
Senior Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC24 December 2016
They will challenge you to provide real work for the company, and as a result, you will gain loads of experience to talk about in any job interview you encounter. It doesn't pay as much as others, but it certainly forces you to learn and contribute meaningful work that you will be proud of.
Great company
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA20 December 2016
Working for Alion was a great experience. The only reason I left was the commute was a bit much for me at the time. Great staff. Family oriented...
Messages received and transmitted
Senior Computer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MD4 December 2016
Job was excellent.Worked for 18 years. Transmitting and receiving messages for government. Updating equipment through the years, and applying security practice.
Lack of management communication to employees
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC22 November 2016
The company is now owned by a financial firm solely focused on revenue and low bids to win contracts. Often salaries and benefits of current employees are reduced in order to stay employed on a new contract award.
Great place to start your career.
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC17 November 2016
Management sometimes makes it feel more like a staffing agency. High turnover has been constant, management is more concerned with filling a billet for a low rate than anything else.
Dont waste your time
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA17 October 2016
Employees treated like cattle. All profits go into the pockets of the highly compensated 10%. Questionable use of govt funding for company overhead expenses.
Pros
Somewhat flex work hours
Cons
Bullying, constant change of direction, had to be friends with mgmnt to advance
It pays the Bills
Nuclear Safety Analysis Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM14 September 2016
It pays the Bills- Other than that, I would avoid Alion at all costs. Zero benefits and an imaginary advancement plan. Not sure if this is twenty words or not.
Benefits
Administrative Assistant / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Bath, ME5 September 2016
Alion had a great health insurance plan for their employees. Unfortunately, over the 3 yrs. I worked their, out of pocket cost got higher and the match for putting away for retire went away, due to poor management in the corporate headquarters.
benefits
Cons
micro management in division office employed with
Very responsive HR and IT department and very supportive of employees
Senior Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mount Arlington, NJ15 August 2016
I was a telework employee, but everything at Alion made me feel part of the team. All support staff were easy to get in touch with and any issues, when they did arise, were addressed quickly.
Pros
Very good use of systems (PeopleLink and and on line education)
Cons
Government contract work is subject to loss funding.
Leadership at Alion
Lead Cyber Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC18 July 2016
Collaborative work environment with both internal teams and Government customer. Excelling place to gain leadership skills and expertise in your domain.
Personally rewarding, Amazing Experience
Senior Logisitic Analyst/SME/FSR (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI25 June 2016
Always a different challenge everyday. Work with amazing people. Personally rewarding due to the fact that we were able to help soldiers regarding fuel, and safety. Cutting edge of technology.
Pros
Travel the world
Cons
Contracting world is not the securest of income
Hands on job but work was monotonous
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crane, IN20 June 2016
Overall, I would say that this job taught me how to stay on task, even when I did not enjoy the work every day.

A typical work day changed on a daily basis. It was the same type of work, but the parts that we worked on changed every couple of days. We assisted in building a radio system to place on the back of military vehicles. There were around 200 pieces that fit on each pallet so we were tasked with putting them together.

The job tested my motivation but I was able to push through. My co-workers were good people that were pretty easy to work with. We did not develop any outside of work relationship.

The hardest part of the job was doing the same thing about 200 times per day but I learned to persevere. The most enjoyable part of the day was that the day-to-day duties changed.
Pros
Easy work environment, co-workers
Excellent customer focus
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC9 June 2016
Everyone was focused on customer satisfaction, so there was good teamwork to do the job well. Upper level management ran the ship aground.
Pros
Good work-life balance
Cons
Frequent management turnover
A pleasant place.
Mathematician/Statistician/Econometrician (Current Employee) –  McLean, VA7 June 2016
The best part of the job was my contract work for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The work was interesting and provided for the acquisition of new techniques in my profession.
Excellent company to work for
Procurement (Current Employee) –  Burr Ridge, IL13 May 2016
I have been employed at this company for 11 years there is great opportunity for advancement I have been promoted 3 times in those 11 years, I started off as a temp for 1 year then hired permanently for the past 10 years nothing but growth there are some management who gave me the ability to learn new things I love everything about my position and manager. The most enjoyable thing about working at Alion is the ability to advance and free educational classes.
Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Crane, IN 4752210 May 2016
I have some of the best people that anyone could ever ask for to work with. We have a lot of fun while getting our job done everyday.
Depressing company to work for
Senior Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NC6 May 2016
Management does not value or reward employees with a strong work ethic. The most enjoyable part of the job was lunch break and going home for the day. Management also stressed "teamwork", but would allow certain employees to get paid for doing nothing all day.
Pros
Good benefits for health, dental and vision
Cons
Management shows favoritism to certain employess