Algonquin College Employee Reviews in Canada

Awesome experience
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  OttawaOctober 6, 2015
I was employed at Algonquin College for 10 years as a Security Supervisor. I had 24 employees under my direct supervision. It was the best experience to have worked at this Educational Institution.
Its nice college.
Hotel management (Former Employee) –  ottawaSeptember 15, 2015
Working for Algonquin College in the Social Community Services Department has been a great experience. I ensure all students are attending all scheduled placements, making the most out of their placement, guide them in a positive manner. I guide them with goal setting and problem solving with issues that may arise at placement.
Exceptional learning environment
Work Placement Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 18, 2015
Provides employees with the opportunities to continuous learning and a good work life balance. Growing organization with focus on students.
Great introduction into the working world
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, ONOctober 12, 2013
Throughout this position, I had learned how to manage social media accounts on a professional level, put together marketing and advertising packages, and complete and create promotional strategies.
Management and coworkers were all excellent to work with, and the office maintained a welcome and friendly atmosphere.
Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 1, 2015
I was a student here. very good college. Fun place. everyone is co-operative. informative teachers.
good congenial enviroment
Friendly interactive employers
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 15, 2014
- Daily sit down and plan for the various tasks required of the students with the teachers
- daily set up and take down lock up of premises
- daily student evaluation of skills delivery

- management are easily interacted with and available
- coworkers are friendly and informative
- department head and payroll persons are accommodating and informative

- highly enjoy interaction with the various students, ours come from very different backgrounds and skill sets and age range.
- I very much enjoy the ongoing learning that is available to me through this process with the student and the work place/grounds themselves.
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons
standing on and walking around in steel toe boots all day, but it is required in the trade.
Marketing for Design
Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2012
- I was responsible individually to design and produce the branding and the marketing logo and website for the Interior Design Graduation Show of 2011 of Algonquin College. This even is one of the most prestigious events for graduates of interior design to establish strong networking with design firms in the industry. I was also responsible for sending out invitations.
- I learned how to relate my education experience into real working project. I used my photography skills to produce artistic black and white photos of each student.
- I had to be working for long hours since I was managing the project in my own.
- Long hours.
- I loved the look of all my professors and professionals when they saw what I have came up with. I also got the appreciations of the students for presenting them professionally to their future potential employees.
Pros
recognition
Cons
A rewarding job assisting students and faculty in a friendly environment.
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioMarch 23, 2012
Typical day at work I would assist customers in finding their textbooks and taking payment. I learned the series of textbooks which were required for courses at different levels, more interesting was textbooks verses e-books or applia/lyrx applications for several educational programs. Management assisted in explaining to me the various learning methods which the students and faculty require. The hardest part of the job was learning which material was required for the courses the student was registered in. The most enjoyable part of my job was trying to help the customer save money when purchasing material required for their course.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
the late hours
Poorly managed but enjoyable
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Getting set up as a peer tutor was a arduous and frustrating experience but once all of the details were taken care of, the experience was positive.
Definetely a great college to start off your post secondary career
Group leader, Algonquin College (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 10, 2015
I really enjoyed having the teachers at this college. they were really helpful to explain complex programming problems that we encountered.
Okay job
Student Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 18, 2014
• Opening and closing of Trouble tickets
• Assisting and troubleshooting laptop/desktop issues for first year students
• Adding new functionality, documentation functionality and changes
• Installing Windows software (Windows 7, Office 2007 & 2010) on laptops/desktops
• Assisting students with troubleshooting e-mails, Internet and any other connection/login issues such as network printer
• Participating in the maintenance of the knowledge base of problem and solution
Pros
okay pay good start up job
Cons
no advancement
All the places where i work was fun and motivating
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lab technicianDecember 21, 2013
A day starts with meeting with the manager of the palnt. Everyday I learned new instruments calibration technique. Management was very supportable. Hardest part of job was to bear the heat of the plant but at the end it was fun due to knowledege what i gained is goin to help me to make my future bright. Best part of day was having lunch with all senior engineers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
tough boss
Teaching Acrylic and Oil painting and Graphics Design 1 and 2
PROFESSOR (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa,OnNovember 20, 2014
Prepare teaching information and activities.
I have learned so much about teaching and how people learn.
The people were inspiring.
I was always encouraged by my co-workers to become a better professor
The most enjoyable part of the job was the to student results,
Their positive reaction to what they created and promise to continue to with their personal development from what I had taught them.
To witness a handicapped individual achieve a remarkable high level creation and final artwork.
Pros
great students and futuristic computer labs
Cons
painting studio was just a room with a sink, so not the best
Supporting Students to achieve their goals
Research Ethics Board Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 11, 2015
Managing Program development by hosting large events to showcase student stand alone and in house projects. Attention to detail and thinking out of the box needed. Hardest part was getting everyone to communicate and provide status reports.
great team we had
Professor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 10, 2015
teaching many subject to mostly international
students. Had a great time. I was covering the complete course from machine shop to digital to interfacing
Great experience
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
lack of up to date equipment
Productive team for a brilliant ideas
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
My day starts at 8 am weather I start it from home or the office at Algonquin College. Its nice that you can manage your other daily duties with you job.

I learned how to manage my time and finish my work before the deadline.I also have to admit that without my time mates I wouldn't have been able to do my tasks or even to complete the final report.

The Hardest part was when we started gathering the information and forming the final report.

The most enjoyable part/time is when start brain storming and arguing to convince others with the ideas that we came with.
Excellent place to work and gain valuable experience and learn professional people skills.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2013
Pros
pro social skills, training, positive managerial feedback and room for advancement
Great to teach
Professor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 19, 2015
Teaching engaged professionals is a wonderful thing. There are so many different learning styles and motivations in an Algonquin classroom that keeping up is a constant, though rewarding challenge.
cashier
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  ottawaDecember 16, 2014
it was a great experience
good management
good working atmosphere
Learning Experience
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Engage with fellow employees in the morning to share ideas on work to be done. Check email and phone messages to prepare jobs to be done. Work hard with minimum disruption to clients.Clean work area and do ground work for next day.

4.3