Algonquin College Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workspace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 January 2016
typical day - good
learned a lot of new staff
management good
co-workers - friendly
Really care of the students and give opportunity to apply their knowledge in practice.
Productive and Fun place
Language and Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 February 2016
Meet friendly people.
Enjoy an environment of learning.
Many places to socialize.
Great interaction between teachers/professors and students.
Able to work part-time while attending school
Cons
Not many places for healthy food
Great Place
Automotive Service Technician Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 February 2016
Wish there was more work available there. Went there on a contract and loved it, and would happily teach there again.

Very nice staff and faculty.
Awesome Job out of college
Wood Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2014
Just awesome. Great people. Positive, encouraging atmosphere.
Start the day with a daily meeting to assign daily tasks, as determined by supervisor. I learned little, as I had all the skills required for all tasks asked of me. I mostly learned about college politics lol.
The management was good, while there were stereotypical complaints, nothing dramatic happened. We had a fairly clear idea of what we needed to do within the college.
My co-workers were good. Kept me going at a good rate.
The hardest part was leaving. I knew I had too, but I didn't want too. However no long-term positions were available.
The most enjoyable part was interacting with other departments. We all had our trade specific jokes we over played, but it was fun.
Pros
Great people. Occasional long breaks, free food. Interesting events
Cons
Part-time contracts, very few permanent positions available
Marketing for Design
Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2012
- I was responsible individually to design and produce the branding and the marketing logo and website for the Interior Design Graduation Show of 2011 of Algonquin College. This even is one of the most prestigious events for graduates of interior design to establish strong networking with design firms in the industry. I was also responsible for sending out invitations.
- I learned how to relate my education experience into real working project. I used my photography skills to produce artistic black and white photos of each student.
- I had to be working for long hours since I was managing the project in my own.
- Long hours.
- I loved the look of all my professors and professionals when they saw what I have came up with. I also got the appreciations of the students for presenting them professionally to their future potential employees.
Pros
recognition
An ever growing experence
Lead animator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 October 2015
The program is still rather fresh and hasn't gotten a lock on the best teaching method, I did leave the program with an understanding of the work environment and the various skill and programs used in the industry. With the coordinators changing the programs to best prepare and educate it students the experience i had will most likely be different then the student who came before and after me.
Friendly interactive employers
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 June 2014
- Daily sit down and plan for the various tasks required of the students with the teachers
- daily set up and take down lock up of premises
- daily student evaluation of skills delivery

- management are easily interacted with and available
- coworkers are friendly and informative
- department head and payroll persons are accommodating and informative

- highly enjoy interaction with the various students, ours come from very different backgrounds and skill sets and age range.
- I very much enjoy the ongoing learning that is available to me through this process with the student and the work place/grounds themselves.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Standing on and walking around in steel toe boots all day, but it is required in the trade.
A rewarding job assisting students and faculty in a friendly environment.
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario23 March 2012
Typical day at work I would assist customers in finding their textbooks and taking payment. I learned the series of textbooks which were required for courses at different levels, more interesting was textbooks verses e-books or applia/lyrx applications for several educational programs. Management assisted in explaining to me the various learning methods which the students and faculty require. The hardest part of the job was learning which material was required for the courses the student was registered in. The most enjoyable part of my job was trying to help the customer save money when purchasing material required for their course.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
the late hours
Its nice college.
Hotel management (Former Employee) –  ottawa15 September 2015
Working for Algonquin College in the Social Community Services Department has been a great experience. I ensure all students are attending all scheduled placements, making the most out of their placement, guide them in a positive manner. I guide them with goal setting and problem solving with issues that may arise at placement.
Great introduction into the working world
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, ON12 October 2013
Throughout this position, I had learned how to manage social media accounts on a professional level, put together marketing and advertising packages, and complete and create promotional strategies.
Management and coworkers were all excellent to work with, and the office maintained a welcome and friendly atmosphere.
Awesome experience
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa6 October 2015
I was employed at Algonquin College for 10 years as a Security Supervisor. I had 24 employees under my direct supervision. It was the best experience to have worked at this Educational Institution.
Exceptional learning environment
Work Placement Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2015
Provides employees with the opportunities to continuous learning and a good work life balance. Growing organization with focus on students.
Okay job
Student Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 February 2014
• Opening and closing of Trouble tickets
• Assisting and troubleshooting laptop/desktop issues for first year students
• Adding new functionality, documentation functionality and changes
• Installing Windows software (Windows 7, Office 2007 & 2010) on laptops/desktops
• Assisting students with troubleshooting e-mails, Internet and any other connection/login issues such as network printer
• Participating in the maintenance of the knowledge base of problem and solution
Pros
okay pay good start up job
Cons
no advancement
Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 November 2015
I was a student here. very good college. Fun place. everyone is co-operative. informative teachers.
good congenial enviroment
Teaching Acrylic and Oil painting and Graphics Design 1 and 2
PROFESSOR (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa,On20 November 2014
Prepare teaching information and activities.
I have learned so much about teaching and how people learn.
The people were inspiring.
I was always encouraged by my co-workers to become a better professor
The most enjoyable part of the job was the to student results,
Their positive reaction to what they created and promise to continue to with their personal development from what I had taught them.
To witness a handicapped individual achieve a remarkable high level creation and final artwork.
Pros
Great students and futuristic computer labs
Cons
Painting studio was just a room with a sink, so not the best
Poorly managed but enjoyable
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2015
Getting set up as a peer tutor was a arduous and frustrating experience but once all of the details were taken care of, the experience was positive.
Productive team for a brilliant ideas
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2014
My day starts at 8 am weather I start it from home or the office at Algonquin College. Its nice that you can manage your other daily duties with you job.

I learned how to manage my time and finish my work before the deadline.I also have to admit that without my time mates I wouldn't have been able to do my tasks or even to complete the final report.

The Hardest part was when we started gathering the information and forming the final report.

The most enjoyable part/time is when start brain storming and arguing to convince others with the ideas that we came with.
All the places where i work was fun and motivating
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lab technician21 December 2013
A day starts with meeting with the manager of the palnt. Everyday I learned new instruments calibration technique. Management was very supportable. Hardest part of job was to bear the heat of the plant but at the end it was fun due to knowledege what i gained is goin to help me to make my future bright. Best part of day was having lunch with all senior engineers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
tough boss
Definetely a great college to start off your post secondary career
Group leader, Algonquin College (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2015
I really enjoyed having the teachers at this college. they were really helpful to explain complex programming problems that we encountered.
Great place to work and I love guiding students in a positive manner through their placement.
DSW Field Placement Liaison (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON30 March 2014

I love going into placements and meeting clients and seeing my students being successful in their placement!
Pros
Flexible hours

4.2