Algonquin College Employee Reviews

Great Place
Automotive Service Technician Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 February 2016
Wish there was more work available there. Went there on a contract and loved it, and would happily teach there again.

Very nice staff and faculty.
Productive and fun workspace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 January 2016
typical day - good
learned a lot of new staff
management good
co-workers - friendly
Really care of the students and give opportunity to apply their knowledge in practice.
Its nice college.
Hotel management (Former Employee) –  ottawa15 September 2015
Working for Algonquin College in the Social Community Services Department has been a great experience. I ensure all students are attending all scheduled placements, making the most out of their placement, guide them in a positive manner. I guide them with goal setting and problem solving with issues that may arise at placement.
Good for full time permanent employees!
Social Service Worker Field Placement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 October 2015
Algonquin is listed as a "Top 25 " employer in the National Capital Region, however this is not a rating that results from contract employees who are paid much less, and have no benefits.
i learned how to teach a student
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  ottawa5 October 2015
i work as a peer tutor in algonquin college for a year,the work experience is good and management is very helpful. the most enjoyable part is that its fun to teach a new student
Pros
flexibility of time
Cons
not much salary
Awesome experience
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa6 October 2015
I was employed at Algonquin College for 10 years as a Security Supervisor. I had 24 employees under my direct supervision. It was the best experience to have worked at this Educational Institution.
Productive team for a brilliant ideas
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2014
My day starts at 8 am weather I start it from home or the office at Algonquin College. Its nice that you can manage your other daily duties with you job.

I learned how to manage my time and finish my work before the deadline.I also have to admit that without my time mates I wouldn't have been able to do my tasks or even to complete the final report.

The Hardest part was when we started gathering the information and forming the final report.

The most enjoyable part/time is when start brain storming and arguing to convince others with the ideas that we came with.
Teaching Acrylic and Oil painting and Graphics Design 1 and 2
PROFESSOR (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa,On20 November 2014
Prepare teaching information and activities.
I have learned so much about teaching and how people learn.
The people were inspiring.
I was always encouraged by my co-workers to become a better professor
The most enjoyable part of the job was the to student results,
Their positive reaction to what they created and promise to continue to with their personal development from what I had taught them.
To witness a handicapped individual achieve a remarkable high level creation and final artwork.
Pros
Great students and futuristic computer labs
Cons
Painting studio was just a room with a sink, so not the best
Fanstastic work place
Administrative Assistant-Placement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2014
A typical day at work was very busy. Making and forwarding phone calls. Assisting different department with events and others administrative tasks. I learned to work at a fast pace and to work more as a team collaborating with different departments. There was not difficult or hard task since I was very well trained and guided. The most that I enjoyed was while assisting for events and providing customer service.
Great place to work and I love guiding students in a positive manner through their placement.
DSW Field Placement Liaison (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON30 March 2014

I love going into placements and meeting clients and seeing my students being successful in their placement!
Pros
Flexible hours
Okay job
Student Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 February 2014
• Opening and closing of Trouble tickets
• Assisting and troubleshooting laptop/desktop issues for first year students
• Adding new functionality, documentation functionality and changes
• Installing Windows software (Windows 7, Office 2007 & 2010) on laptops/desktops
• Assisting students with troubleshooting e-mails, Internet and any other connection/login issues such as network printer
• Participating in the maintenance of the knowledge base of problem and solution
Pros
okay pay good start up job
Cons
no advancement
Sit down job that allows for getting personal work done
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 December 2012
Because so few students ever seem to actual come for assistance, it's easy to just do my own homework or side projects and help advance my own ends. In my free time on the job, I've worked on producing a particle system that has turned into a visual representation of mathematical formulas. When a student does require assistance, however, I'm there to help them and put all my work on the side until that student is assisted.
Pros
reasonably light work load, good co-workers
Cons
bad hours, too few hours
I have a really exciting job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 December 2012
The job is quite fun. I enjoy communicating with students and my co-workers. The relationship between us is based on respect.
I learned a lot about how to teach and made my automotive skills stronger. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I teach students and they learn it so well and when I make broken parts work and also when I'm with my co-workers.
There is no THE HARDEST part in my job because I like it so much.
Pros
learning and teaching at the same time
Cons
not enough hours
Take time and walk outside during lunch break or 15 min break.
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2013
Be courteous, always listen to what a person is saying to you. Acknowledge your soundings and do the best you can. Stay positive when challenge comes your way.

Being professional helps through your daily productivity. Through the years, this as helped me to achieve the goals that was needed at that time.

Working as a team is very rewarding and love new challenges among my colleagues, and myself as well.
Friendly interactive employers
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 June 2014
- Daily sit down and plan for the various tasks required of the students with the teachers
- daily set up and take down lock up of premises
- daily student evaluation of skills delivery

- management are easily interacted with and available
- coworkers are friendly and informative
- department head and payroll persons are accommodating and informative

- highly enjoy interaction with the various students, ours come from very different backgrounds and skill sets and age range.
- I very much enjoy the ongoing learning that is available to me through this process with the student and the work place/grounds themselves.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Standing on and walking around in steel toe boots all day, but it is required in the trade.
A rewarding job assisting students and faculty in a friendly environment.
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario23 March 2012
Typical day at work I would assist customers in finding their textbooks and taking payment. I learned the series of textbooks which were required for courses at different levels, more interesting was textbooks verses e-books or applia/lyrx applications for several educational programs. Management assisted in explaining to me the various learning methods which the students and faculty require. The hardest part of the job was learning which material was required for the courses the student was registered in. The most enjoyable part of my job was trying to help the customer save money when purchasing material required for their course.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
the late hours
Supporting Students to achieve their goals
Research Ethics Board Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 May 2015
Managing Program development by hosting large events to showcase student stand alone and in house projects. Attention to detail and thinking out of the box needed. Hardest part was getting everyone to communicate and provide status reports.
All the places where i work was fun and motivating
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lab technician21 December 2013
A day starts with meeting with the manager of the palnt. Everyday I learned new instruments calibration technique. Management was very supportable. Hardest part of job was to bear the heat of the plant but at the end it was fun due to knowledege what i gained is goin to help me to make my future bright. Best part of day was having lunch with all senior engineers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
tough boss
Great School
PRACTICAL NURSING (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 August 2013
Great school, I have been a student here since 2007. I have had a great experience working with the faculty to finish my programs. the fees are relatively priced. During the school year there are plenty of different facilities available however, during the summer the hours for the school and food services aren't the greatest.
Pros
faculty
Cons
summer time facility availability
Definetely a great college to start off your post secondary career
Group leader, Algonquin College (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2015
I really enjoyed having the teachers at this college. they were really helpful to explain complex programming problems that we encountered.

4.2