Algonquin College Employee Reviews in Canada

Great but with some hang-ups
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2016
Employment at Algonquin College can be a roller coaster. The College provides an excellent compensation and benefits package, as well as providing flexibility and good work life balance. Unfortunately to counter this is a cultural that can be divisive and some what combative between different groups. There is also a significant bureaucracy with a veritable warehouse of red tape. The cultural and bureaucracy can be challenging especially for younger change hunger employees.

Overall the College scores just above the middle of the road because of the contradicting aspects. Cultural Improvement could take this employer to the top.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits, Course discounts, Gym Discounts
Cons
Culture, Bureaucracy, Limited Advancement
Excellent working environment with like-minded employees
Professor - Structural Engineering and Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pay is commensurate with experience and years of teaching. Overall, working as a full-time has enormous benefits and security.
i learned how to teach a student
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  ottawaOctober 5, 2015
i work as a peer tutor in algonquin college for a year,the work experience is good and management is very helpful. the most enjoyable part is that its fun to teach a new student
Pros
flexibility of time
Cons
not much salary
Good for full time permanent employees!
Social Service Worker Field Placement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 1, 2015
Algonquin is listed as a "Top 25 " employer in the National Capital Region, however this is not a rating that results from contract employees who are paid much less, and have no benefits.
A nice place to work
Web Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 29, 2016
Very creative environment. Open for new ideas. Very supportive management and superiors. Energetic and enthusiastic co-workers. Enjoyed a time working on project.
Esl tutor
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 14, 2016
A typical day is fun and rewarding at the college, i learned a lot about work environment and working under stress. The management was supportive and friendly. the co-workers were okay. the hardest part of the job was dealing with different cultural backgrounds. The most enjoyable part of my job was the creativity when dealing with a challenging task.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
discrimination
Productive and fun workspace
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 21, 2016
typical day - good
learned a lot of new staff
management good
co-workers - friendly
Really care of the students and give opportunity to apply their knowledge in practice.
Great.
Student Ambassador (Teacher's Assistant) (Current Employee) –  WoodroffeFebruary 23, 2016
Great company to work for. I held a simple student position but was not disappointed. I was required to do little work yet received a good paycheck in the end.
It was easy to contact people I needed to since the school has good email policies.
Productive and Fun place
Language and Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Meet friendly people.
Enjoy an environment of learning.
Many places to socialize.
Great interaction between teachers/professors and students.
Able to work part-time while attending school
Cons
Not many places for healthy food
Student
RPN student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 31, 2016
Algonquin College is a a great college to attend. Majority of teachers are very supportive and are passionate about their job. There are some teachers that are not and make learning hard,
Cant Say Much
Co-Op Student (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 29, 2016
Co-op student so I was unable to do much or see much of how the operation truly worked. Friendly people though, would be a good place to actually work
Great Place
Automotive Service Technician Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 17, 2016
Wish there was more work available there. Went there on a contract and loved it, and would happily teach there again.

Very nice staff and faculty.
An ever growing experence
Lead animator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 7, 2015
The program is still rather fresh and hasn't gotten a lock on the best teaching method, I did leave the program with an understanding of the work environment and the various skill and programs used in the industry. With the coordinators changing the programs to best prepare and educate it students the experience i had will most likely be different then the student who came before and after me.
Its nice college.
Hotel management (Former Employee) –  ottawaSeptember 15, 2015
Working for Algonquin College in the Social Community Services Department has been a great experience. I ensure all students are attending all scheduled placements, making the most out of their placement, guide them in a positive manner. I guide them with goal setting and problem solving with issues that may arise at placement.
Awesome experience
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  OttawaOctober 6, 2015
I was employed at Algonquin College for 10 years as a Security Supervisor. I had 24 employees under my direct supervision. It was the best experience to have worked at this Educational Institution.
Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 1, 2015
I was a student here. very good college. Fun place. everyone is co-operative. informative teachers.
good congenial enviroment
Poorly managed but enjoyable
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Getting set up as a peer tutor was a arduous and frustrating experience but once all of the details were taken care of, the experience was positive.
Exceptional learning environment
Work Placement Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 18, 2015
Provides employees with the opportunities to continuous learning and a good work life balance. Growing organization with focus on students.
Definetely a great college to start off your post secondary career
Group leader, Algonquin College (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 10, 2015
I really enjoyed having the teachers at this college. they were really helpful to explain complex programming problems that we encountered.
Awesome Job out of college
Wood Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2014
Just awesome. Great people. Positive, encouraging atmosphere.
Start the day with a daily meeting to assign daily tasks, as determined by supervisor. I learned little, as I had all the skills required for all tasks asked of me. I mostly learned about college politics lol.
The management was good, while there were stereotypical complaints, nothing dramatic happened. We had a fairly clear idea of what we needed to do within the college.
My co-workers were good. Kept me going at a good rate.
The hardest part was leaving. I knew I had too, but I didn't want too. However no long-term positions were available.
The most enjoyable part was interacting with other departments. We all had our trade specific jokes we over played, but it was fun.
Pros
great people. occasional long breaks, free food. interesting events
Cons
part-time contracts, very few permanent positions available

4.2