Algonquin College

Algonquin College Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work and I love guiding students in a positive manner through their placement.
DSW Field Placement Liaison (Current Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 30, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Working for Algonquin College in the Social Community Services Department has been a great experience. I ensure all students are attending all scheduled placements, making the most out of their placement, guide them in a positive manner. I guide them with goal setting and problem solving with issues that may arise at placement.

I love going into placements – more... and meeting clients and seeing my students being successful in their placement! – less
Nice huge tutoring area for students
Peer tutor (Current Employee), Tutor CenterFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: great experience of leadership and knowledge of school work material
I am current studying in forth semester, I have average 3.7/4.0 GPA to register to be a peer tutor (requirement is 2.7). The area of my teaching is included every course I had in the previous three semesters such as accounting, economic, material and operations management or statistics. I am available to be booked on Monday to Saturday when I do not – more... have class. – less
Okay job
Student Desktop Support (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: okay pay good start up job
Cons: no advancement
• Opening and closing of Trouble tickets
• Assisting and troubleshooting laptop/desktop issues for first year students
• Adding new functionality, documentation functionality and changes
• Installing Windows software (Windows 7, Office 2007 & 2010) on laptops/desktops
• Assisting students with troubleshooting e-mails, Internet and any other connection/login – more... issues such as network printer
• Participating in the maintenance of the knowledge base of problem and solution – less
Great job, just looking for a change.
Financial Inventory Specialist (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJanuary 30, 2014
Great job, just wasn't what I wanted career wise. .................................................................................................................
All the places where i work was fun and motivating
Tutor (Current Employee), Lab technicianDecember 21, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: tough boss
A day starts with meeting with the manager of the palnt. Everyday I learned new instruments calibration technique. Management was very supportable. Hardest part of job was to bear the heat of the plant but at the end it was fun due to knowledege what i gained is goin to help me to make my future bright. Best part of day was having lunch with all senior – more... engineers. – less
Engaging and fun place to be
Student (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 2, 2013
Pros: great computer hardware
Cons: poor cafeteria facilities
I learned many programming languages, modelling techniques and how to cooperate with others.
AC
Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: low job security
Contract work no opportunities for advancement even though I have the experience and followed the guidelines to enhance my credentials
Great introduction into the working world
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Perth, ONOctober 12, 2013
Throughout this position, I had learned how to manage social media accounts on a professional level, put together marketing and advertising packages, and complete and create promotional strategies.
Management and coworkers were all excellent to work with, and the office maintained a welcome and friendly atmosphere.
Great School
PRACTICAL NURSING (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 16, 2013
Pros: faculty
Cons: summer time facility availability
Great school, I have been a student here since 2007. I have had a great experience working with the faculty to finish my programs. the fees are relatively priced. During the school year there are plenty of different facilities available however, during the summer the hours for the school and food services aren't the greatest.
Learning Experience
Plumber (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Engage with fellow employees in the morning to share ideas on work to be done. Check email and phone messages to prepare jobs to be done. Work hard with minimum disruption to clients.Clean work area and do ground work for next day.
Take time and walk outside during lunch break or 15 min break.
Caretaker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Be courteous, always listen to what a person is saying to you. Acknowledge your soundings and do the best you can. Stay positive when challenge comes your way.

Being professional helps through your daily productivity. Through the years, this as helped me to achieve the goals that was needed at that time.

Working as a team is very rewarding and love – more... new challenges among my colleagues, and myself as well. – less
Excellent place to work and gain valuable experience and learn professional people skills.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 31, 2013
Pros: pro social skills, training, positive managerial feedback and room for advancement
The young chef will follow the order, and cooking the food for customer.
The little chef in Student cafeteria (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: one free meal.
Cons: full time work is all right.
1. Lunch service, or dinner service.
2. Study the Culinary Managemnet in Algonquin College.
3. I am the co-worker, and the work permit will arrived at mid-April.
4. The hardest part of the job is talking the joke.
5. I am really enjoy cooking the food in my job.
Alot of business
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: free stuff(t-shirts etc. with permission)
Cons: alot of rush rush, but more rush rush than possible to do a decent job
It was alot of pressure, alot of work, and a bit of roughness.
I have a really exciting job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 31, 2012
Pros: learning and teaching at the same time
Cons: not enough hours
The job is quite fun. I enjoy communicating with students and my co-workers. The relationship between us is based on respect.
I learned a lot about how to teach and made my automotive skills stronger. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I teach students and they learn it so well and when I make broken parts work and also when I'm with my co-workers.
There – more... is no THE HARDEST part in my job because I like it so much. – less
Sit down job that allows for getting personal work done
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 25, 2012
Pros: reasonably light work load, good co-workers
Cons: bad hours, too few hours
Because so few students ever seem to actual come for assistance, it's easy to just do my own homework or side projects and help advance my own ends. In my free time on the job, I've worked on producing a particle system that has turned into a visual representation of mathematical formulas. When a student does require assistance, however, I'm there to – more... help them and put all my work on the side until that student is assisted. – less
good, interesting employer
Teacher (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2012
Pros: people interaction
Cons: non
I great place to work, was renovation inspector and control last 5 years, after being plant lead hand and looking after all aspects of equipment and building maintenance for 16 years. Delt with all customer problems physical resources, dealing with building and environment.
Marketing for Design
Marketing Director (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2012
Pros: recognition
Cons: long hours
- I was responsible individually to design and produce the branding and the marketing logo and website for the Interior Design Graduation Show of 2011 of Algonquin College. This even is one of the most prestigious events for graduates of interior design to establish strong networking with design firms in the industry. I was also responsible for sending – more... out invitations.
- I learned how to relate my education experience into real working project. I used my photography skills to produce artistic black and white photos of each student.
- I had to be working for long hours since I was managing the project in my own.
- Long hours.
- I loved the look of all my professors and professionals when they saw what I have came up with. I also got the appreciations of the students for presenting them professionally to their future potential employees. – less
Interesting place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 2, 2012
Pros: lots of new ideas.
Cons: parking is difficult.
Great place to work. Fun seeing so many people learning new trades and pursuing their futures. Hardest part of the job is finding a place to work. Most enjoyable part of the job is eating at the school of cooking, having massage at the health centre and getting your hair done at the hairdressing school!
It is just a part-time job as a cashier
Cafeteria Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 22, 2012
Pros: simple and clean
Cons: tons of spare time
Stand at the machine and arranged shifts of servers.

Handled the cash register, when people buy stuff, I am dealing with the changes and payment.

It is easy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that sometimes it has a lot of spare time.