Algonquin College Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Awesome Job out of college
Wood Shop Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great people. occasional long breaks, free food. interesting events
Cons: part-time contracts, very few permanent positions available
Just awesome. Great people. Positive, encouraging atmosphere.
Start the day with a daily meeting to assign daily tasks, as determined by supervisor. I learned little, as I had all the skills required for all tasks asked of me. I mostly learned about college politics lol.
The management was good, while there were stereotypical complaints, nothing dramatic happened. We had a fairly clear idea of what we needed to do within the college.
My co-workers were good. Kept me going at a good rate.
The hardest part was leaving. I knew I had too, but I didn't want too. However no long-term positions were available.
The most enjoyable part was interacting with other departments. We all had our trade specific jokes we over played, but it was fun.
Marketing for Design
Marketing Director (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2012
Pros: recognition
Cons: long hours
- I was responsible individually to design and produce the branding and the marketing logo and website for the Interior Design Graduation Show of 2011 of Algonquin College. This even is one of the most prestigious events for graduates of interior design to establish strong networking with design firms in the industry. I was also responsible for sending out invitations.
- I learned how to relate my education experience into real working project. I used my photography skills to produce artistic black and white photos of each student.
- I had to be working for long hours since I was managing the project in my own.
- Long hours.
- I loved the look of all my professors and professionals when they saw what I have came up with. I also got the appreciations of the students for presenting them professionally to their future potential employees.
Friendly interactive employers
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 15, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment
Cons: standing on and walking around in steel toe boots all day, but it is required in the trade.
- Daily sit down and plan for the various tasks required of the students with the teachers
- daily set up and take down lock up of premises
- daily student evaluation of skills delivery

- management are easily interacted with and available
- coworkers are friendly and informative
- department head and payroll persons are accommodating and informative

- highly enjoy interaction with the various students, ours come from very different backgrounds and skill sets and age range.
- I very much enjoy the ongoing learning that is available to me through this process with the student and the work place/grounds themselves.
Teaching Acrylic and Oil painting and Graphics Design 1 and 2
PROFESSOR (Part-time) (Former Employee), Ottawa,OnNovember 20, 2014
Pros: great students and futuristic computer labs
Cons: painting studio was just a room with a sink, so not the best
Prepare teaching information and activities.
I have learned so much about teaching and how people learn.
The people were inspiring.
I was always encouraged by my co-workers to become a better professor
The most enjoyable part of the job was the to student results,
Their positive reaction to what they created and promise to continue to with their personal development from what I had taught them.
To witness a handicapped individual achieve a remarkable high level creation and final artwork.
A rewarding job assisting students and faculty in a friendly environment.
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioMarch 23, 2012
Pros: employee discount
Cons: the late hours
Typical day at work I would assist customers in finding their textbooks and taking payment. I learned the series of textbooks which were required for courses at different levels, more interesting was textbooks verses e-books or applia/lyrx applications for several educational programs. Management assisted in explaining to me the various learning methods which the students and faculty require. The hardest part of the job was learning which material was required for the courses the student was registered in. The most enjoyable part of my job was trying to help the customer save money when purchasing material required for their course.
Productive team for a brilliant ideas
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
My day starts at 8 am weather I start it from home or the office at Algonquin College. Its nice that you can manage your other daily duties with you job.

I learned how to manage my time and finish my work before the deadline.I also have to admit that without my time mates I wouldn't have been able to do my tasks or even to complete the final report.

The Hardest part was when we started gathering the information and forming the final report.

The most enjoyable part/time is when start brain storming and arguing to convince others with the ideas that we came with.
Sit down job that allows for getting personal work done
Program Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 25, 2012
Pros: reasonably light work load, good co-workers
Cons: bad hours, too few hours
Because so few students ever seem to actual come for assistance, it's easy to just do my own homework or side projects and help advance my own ends. In my free time on the job, I've worked on producing a particle system that has turned into a visual representation of mathematical formulas. When a student does require assistance, however, I'm there to help them and put all my work on the side until that student is assisted.
I have a really exciting job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 31, 2012
Pros: learning and teaching at the same time
Cons: not enough hours
The job is quite fun. I enjoy communicating with students and my co-workers. The relationship between us is based on respect.
I learned a lot about how to teach and made my automotive skills stronger. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I teach students and they learn it so well and when I make broken parts work and also when I'm with my co-workers.
There is no THE HARDEST part in my job because I like it so much.
Take time and walk outside during lunch break or 15 min break.
Caretaker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Be courteous, always listen to what a person is saying to you. Acknowledge your soundings and do the best you can. Stay positive when challenge comes your way.

Being professional helps through your daily productivity. Through the years, this as helped me to achieve the goals that was needed at that time.

Working as a team is very rewarding and love new challenges among my colleagues, and myself as well.
Great place to work and I love guiding students in a positive manner through their placement.
DSW Field Placement Liaison (Current Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 30, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Working for Algonquin College in the Social Community Services Department has been a great experience. I ensure all students are attending all scheduled placements, making the most out of their placement, guide them in a positive manner. I guide them with goal setting and problem solving with issues that may arise at placement.

I love going into placements and meeting clients and seeing my students being successful in their placement!
Okay job
Student Desktop Support (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: okay pay good start up job
Cons: no advancement
• Opening and closing of Trouble tickets
• Assisting and troubleshooting laptop/desktop issues for first year students
• Adding new functionality, documentation functionality and changes
• Installing Windows software (Windows 7, Office 2007 & 2010) on laptops/desktops
• Assisting students with troubleshooting e-mails, Internet and any other connection/login issues such as network printer
• Participating in the maintenance of the knowledge base of problem and solution
All the places where i work was fun and motivating
Tutor (Current Employee), Lab technicianDecember 21, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: tough boss
A day starts with meeting with the manager of the palnt. Everyday I learned new instruments calibration technique. Management was very supportable. Hardest part of job was to bear the heat of the plant but at the end it was fun due to knowledege what i gained is goin to help me to make my future bright. Best part of day was having lunch with all senior engineers.
An ever growing experence
Lead animator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 7, 2015
The program is still rather fresh and hasn't gotten a lock on the best teaching method, I did leave the program with an understanding of the work environment and the various skill and programs used in the industry. With the coordinators changing the programs to best prepare and educate it students the experience i had will most likely be different then the student who came before and after me.
The young chef will follow the order, and cooking the food for customer.
The little chef in Student cafeteria (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: one free meal.
Cons: full time work is all right.
1. Lunch service, or dinner service.
2. Study the Culinary Managemnet in Algonquin College.
3. I am the co-worker, and the work permit will arrived at mid-April.
4. The hardest part of the job is talking the joke.
5. I am really enjoy cooking the food in my job.
Fanstastic work place
Administrative Assistant-Placement (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 20, 2014
A typical day at work was very busy. Making and forwarding phone calls. Assisting different department with events and others administrative tasks. I learned to work at a fast pace and to work more as a team collaborating with different departments. There was not difficult or hard task since I was very well trained and guided. The most that I enjoyed was while assisting for events and providing customer service.
Its nice college.
Hotel management (Former Employee), ottawaSeptember 15, 2015
Great School
PRACTICAL NURSING (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 16, 2013
Pros: faculty
Cons: summer time facility availability
Great school, I have been a student here since 2007. I have had a great experience working with the faculty to finish my programs. the fees are relatively priced. During the school year there are plenty of different facilities available however, during the summer the hours for the school and food services aren't the greatest.
Interesting place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 2, 2012
Pros: lots of new ideas.
Cons: parking is difficult.
Great place to work. Fun seeing so many people learning new trades and pursuing their futures. Hardest part of the job is finding a place to work. Most enjoyable part of the job is eating at the school of cooking, having massage at the health centre and getting your hair done at the hairdressing school!
Great introduction into the working world
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Perth, ONOctober 12, 2013
Throughout this position, I had learned how to manage social media accounts on a professional level, put together marketing and advertising packages, and complete and create promotional strategies.
Management and coworkers were all excellent to work with, and the office maintained a welcome and friendly atmosphere.
It is just a part-time job as a cashier
Cafeteria Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 22, 2012
Pros: simple and clean
Cons: tons of spare time
Stand at the machine and arranged shifts of servers.

Handled the cash register, when people buy stuff, I am dealing with the changes and payment.

It is easy.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that sometimes it has a lot of spare time.