Algonquin College

Algonquin College Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
cashier
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), ottawaDecember 16, 2014
it was a great experience
good management
good working atmosphere
Productive team for a brilliant ideas
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
My day starts at 8 am weather I start it from home or the office at Algonquin College. Its nice that you can manage your other daily duties with you job.

I learned how to manage my time and finish my work before the deadline.I also have to admit that without my time mates I wouldn't have been able to do my tasks or even to complete the final report.

The – more... Hardest part was when we started gathering the information and forming the final report.

The most enjoyable part/time is when start brain storming and arguing to convince others with the ideas that we came with. – less
Teaching Acrylic and Oil painting and Graphics Design 1 and 2
PROFESSOR (Part-time) (Former Employee), Ottawa,OnNovember 20, 2014
Pros: great students and futuristic computer labs
Cons: painting studio was just a room with a sink, so not the best
Prepare teaching information and activities.
I have learned so much about teaching and how people learn.
The people were inspiring.
I was always encouraged by my co-workers to become a better professor
The most enjoyable part of the job was the to student results,
Their positive reaction to what they created and promise to continue to with their personal – more... development from what I had taught them.
To witness a handicapped individual achieve a remarkable high level creation and final artwork. – less
Good place to work.
Residence Orientation Leader (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: nice people to work with
Cons: sometimes unorganized
Good place to work because of the people around me. I was able to do many things while volunteering at Algonquin as an orientation leader.
excellent employer
Recreational and athletic facility official (Former Employee), ottawa ontarioSeptember 5, 2014
excellent enviornment, hardworking and result oriented organization.
Awesome Job out of college
Wood Shop Technician (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great people. occasional long breaks, free food. interesting events
Cons: part-time contracts, very few permanent positions available
Just awesome. Great people. Positive, encouraging atmosphere.
Start the day with a daily meeting to assign daily tasks, as determined by supervisor. I learned little, as I had all the skills required for all tasks asked of me. I mostly learned about college politics lol.
The management was good, while there were stereotypical complaints, nothing dramatic – more... happened. We had a fairly clear idea of what we needed to do within the college.
My co-workers were good. Kept me going at a good rate.
The hardest part was leaving. I knew I had too, but I didn't want too. However no long-term positions were available.
The most enjoyable part was interacting with other departments. We all had our trade specific jokes we over played, but it was fun. – less
Friendly interactive employers
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 15, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment
Cons: standing on and walking around in steel toe boots all day, but it is required in the trade.
- Daily sit down and plan for the various tasks required of the students with the teachers
- daily set up and take down lock up of premises
- daily student evaluation of skills delivery

- management are easily interacted with and available
- coworkers are friendly and informative
- department head and payroll persons are accommodating and informative

- – more... highly enjoy interaction with the various students, ours come from very different backgrounds and skill sets and age range.
- I very much enjoy the ongoing learning that is available to me through this process with the student and the work place/grounds themselves. – less
Fanstastic work place
Administrative Assistant-Placement (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 20, 2014
A typical day at work was very busy. Making and forwarding phone calls. Assisting different department with events and others administrative tasks. I learned to work at a fast pace and to work more as a team collaborating with different departments. There was not difficult or hard task since I was very well trained and guided. The most that I enjoyed – more... was while assisting for events and providing customer service. – less
Student
Student (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: learning about hardware
Cons: scheduling of work days by home depot
General Arts and Science - Environmental Studies
Attending College
Great place to work and I love guiding students in a positive manner through their placement.
DSW Field Placement Liaison (Current Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 30, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Working for Algonquin College in the Social Community Services Department has been a great experience. I ensure all students are attending all scheduled placements, making the most out of their placement, guide them in a positive manner. I guide them with goal setting and problem solving with issues that may arise at placement.

I love going into placements – more... and meeting clients and seeing my students being successful in their placement! – less
Okay job
Student Desktop Support (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: okay pay good start up job
Cons: no advancement
• Opening and closing of Trouble tickets
• Assisting and troubleshooting laptop/desktop issues for first year students
• Adding new functionality, documentation functionality and changes
• Installing Windows software (Windows 7, Office 2007 & 2010) on laptops/desktops
• Assisting students with troubleshooting e-mails, Internet and any other connection/login – more... issues such as network printer
• Participating in the maintenance of the knowledge base of problem and solution – less
Great job, just looking for a change.
Financial Inventory Specialist (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJanuary 30, 2014
Great job, just wasn't what I wanted career wise. .................................................................................................................
All the places where i work was fun and motivating
Tutor (Current Employee), Lab technicianDecember 21, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: tough boss
A day starts with meeting with the manager of the palnt. Everyday I learned new instruments calibration technique. Management was very supportable. Hardest part of job was to bear the heat of the plant but at the end it was fun due to knowledege what i gained is goin to help me to make my future bright. Best part of day was having lunch with all senior – more... engineers. – less
Engaging and fun place to be
Student (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 2, 2013
Pros: great computer hardware
Cons: poor cafeteria facilities
I learned many programming languages, modelling techniques and how to cooperate with others.
AC
Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: low job security
Contract work no opportunities for advancement even though I have the experience and followed the guidelines to enhance my credentials
Great introduction into the working world
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Perth, ONOctober 12, 2013
Throughout this position, I had learned how to manage social media accounts on a professional level, put together marketing and advertising packages, and complete and create promotional strategies.
Management and coworkers were all excellent to work with, and the office maintained a welcome and friendly atmosphere.
Placement at Algonquin College
Registered Practical Nursing Student (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 4, 2013
The best part about the program that I just finished is the placement experience that we received. As a placement student/consolidation student, I was given the opportunity to develop the skills to become a fully function RPN.
Teacher - Interpreting (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 3, 2013
I loved teaching future interpreters how to interpret correctly, how to present themselves, how to prepare for an assignment and all other important things.
Learning Experience
Plumber (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Engage with fellow employees in the morning to share ideas on work to be done. Check email and phone messages to prepare jobs to be done. Work hard with minimum disruption to clients.Clean work area and do ground work for next day.
Take time and walk outside during lunch break or 15 min break.
Caretaker (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 2, 2013
Be courteous, always listen to what a person is saying to you. Acknowledge your soundings and do the best you can. Stay positive when challenge comes your way.

Being professional helps through your daily productivity. Through the years, this as helped me to achieve the goals that was needed at that time.

Working as a team is very rewarding and love – more... new challenges among my colleagues, and myself as well. – less