Algoma Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
I love being on Ships so I am happy when I work on them
Ordinary Seaman 2, Oiler, M.A. (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 February 2015
when I worked for Algoma and some other Great Lakes companies I was young and very fit and I mainly worked on Self Unloading ships because of the overtime pay. I enjoyed working on tugs the most as the work was enjoyable to me, dredging out marinas and laying underwater pipes for the refineries along lake Ontario.

When I worked in the Arctic I loved it. I loved the environment and the people as well as the work being extremely interesting to me. I would go to the Bridge and there was a log with jobs, I would take my note book and write down some of the jobs needing done and at the end of the day I would go back to the Bridge and stroke out those I had completed after a twelve hour shift.
During a typical day, depending on what type of vessel I was on, I would perform various duties relevant to that vessel. A drill ship would require me to spend a lot of time splicing and later pressing eyes in cable for chokers and slings as well as pouring sockets for crane wires. On top of that we would take on supplies by helicopter which would require us to be loading and unloading those as well as being well trained in firefighting and lifeboat drills.

When I worked for the Dutch on the Dredge that was mostly working around a little crane and a pump room and doing some simple maintenance work.

when I worked on the huge Barge the Constructor work barge, that involved working with the Cranes a lot for anchor handling as we took them from the supply boats when the drill ships had blown their remote anchor release mechanisms whenever they were taken by the ice. We also had frequent
  more... helicopter visits and supplies for the drill ships and dredges to handle.  less
Pros
it was all Pro to me, I got to go ashore with the Geologists and take core samples, I got to go with the Biologists to record the marine life and take water samples, the whole job was a Great Adventure for me
Cons
they stopped going to the Arctic and I joined the Boilermakers never to ship out again, so far