Web Application Developer - Job Description
We are looking for well-rounded and talented Web Application Developer to join our thriving team at AlertDriving. If you have the thirst to build high performance web applications that provide high intrinsic societal value we would love to hear from you.
Who is AlertDriving
Conceived in 1998, AlertDriving pioneered web-based driver risk management. Today, we are working with some of the largest organizations in the world. We have contracted to serve more than 650 clients and we’ve trained more than 1,000,000 drivers worldwide. Our driver risk management platform – FleetDefenseSM – has helped clients significantly reduce their collisions, injuries, costs and liability exposure. FleetDefenseSM is a single-source, state-of-the-art, customizable, web-based, driver risk identification, mitigation and monitoring solution. For the most part, the staff consists of young people in their late 20’s and early 30’s that are smart, ambitious, and passionate about their work. Through the global recession, annual revenue increased by more than 30% each year. This trend is expected to continue since the industry is still in its infancy. It is estimated that the global market for online driver risk management solutions is $1B.
To learn more please visit our website: http://www.alertdriving.com.
The Web Application Developer is responsible for the functional and technical analysis, design, programming, testing and maintenance of the company’s web-based software products and internally developed support systems. You will work closely with a highly skilled tight-knit team on the implementation of new product initiatives. You own the technical aspects of your deliverables and keep a close eye on estimates, status, productivity and code quality. You are proactive, are able to work with minimum supervision, and manage deliverables under tight deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment.
Duties of the Web Application Developer
Tasks of the Web Application Developer revolve around the development of enterprise level web-based applications, which include:
- Promoting best practices on how to design and build quality, scalable software;
- Driving innovation by coming up with new and surprising ideas for the company’s products and development processes;
- Working closely with the Architect and other developers on software architecture, design, dependencies and code maintainability;
- Providing time and size estimates for project tasks;
- Create and maintain documentation for source code that is produced; and
- Debugging defects and troubleshooting issues reported by the Software Quality Assurance and / or Client Services teams.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements
The Web Application Developer must be interested in keeping abreast of industry best practices for developing secure and extensible enterprise web applications. The Web Application Developer must possess:
- Strong PHP 5 and MySQL 5 development skills;
- Excellent understanding of object-oriented design and programming;
- Experience using MVC frameworks such as Zend, CakePHP or Symfony;
- Good understanding of web-related protocols such as HTTP, SSL/SSH, FTP and TCP;
- Familiarity with design patterns, Service-Oriented Architecture, ORMs and web security;
- Experience developing mobile web-based applications for Apple iOS, Android and Blackberry platforms is an asset;
- The ability to work with source code control and analysis tools, unit testing frameworks, and a continuous integration environment;
- The ability to document software designs using UML modeling;
- Experience practicing agile development methodologies like XP or Scrum is an asset;
- The desire to excel within a team environment;
- Unrelenting determination and be results-oriented;
- Highly effective time management, communication and organizational skills; and
- The commitment to personal growth and continuous learning as it relates to improving your knowledge on new and emerging web technologies, development tools and best practices.
Education and Experience Requirements
- The minimum post-secondary education requirement for the Web Application Developer is a college diploma or Bachelor’s degree with concentrated study in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or a related discipline;
- A proven track record of programming dynamic web applications that utilize a backend database for persistent data storage.
Compensation & Benefits
The Web Application Developer’s financial compensation package includes a competitive base salary (commensurate with experience) that will be reviewed annually. After the three (3) month probationary period has passed, the Web Application Developer will be added to AlertDriving’s company benefits plan and he or she will also be eligible for participation in management’s discretionary bonus plan. This position is entitled to three (3) weeks paid vacation each year.
Where is AlertDriving?
Strategic Central Location: 250 Ferrand Drive, Suite 301
Eglinton Ave. East and the Don Valley Parkway
Free Building Shuttle Bus to/from Eglinton Subway Station