Alere Employee Reviews

Liars and fakers
Medical Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS6 October 2016
I can honestly say this was the worst job I have ever had. The pay was just ok, the benefits were awful, I told them what I wanted out of the company and what I did not like from my last job. They talked up the company like it was a wonderful place to work, so I left the current job I was in to go to Alere. I think after the first month, I knew I made a terrible mistake, they started changing every rule possible and on top of all this, they do not offer true sick time. They have what they call PTO, which was really just vacation. You had to give 48 hours advanced notice to miss, or you were wrote up, pathetic. Please reconsider if you are even thinking about going to this company.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Dysfunctional company with an unfriendly culture
Technical Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA31 October 2016
Lower than average compensation, coupled by fear-driven management makes for a less than ideal workplace and culture. Great for workers who simply need a transitional job.
Love my job,the culture the peole and the variety of tasks i do daily.
Office coordinator/PA to Senior Directors (Current Employee) –  Galway9 October 2016
Love my job.Promotion Iminent, Career progression opportunitys are good.
Excellent experience attained in busy office managing 150+people , rapidly expanding office, experience in restructuring with no downtime,all aspects of facilities management,PA to 8 senior directors, senior admin in office, health &safety coordinator,front of house duties. Travel & expense manager for senior employees, projects experience, MS office skills wel used.
Pros
career progression, excellent personal developement, open office environment culture
Cons
Na
Started out nice but has gone horribly downhill
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  California15 March 2016
I worked as a case manager for this company for 5 1/2 years. I would say I was only really happy about the first two. You can work remotely which is probably the best thing about them, that and my immediate supervisor was cool. But with all the changes this company has gone through since around 2010 or 2011, it has become all about quantity rather than quality anymore. I left because I could not take it anymore. Employees are absolutely miserable and the company does not care. They have unrealistic expectations and the pay and benefits are pathetic. If you try to discuss your dissatisfaction, they basically have a "if you don't like it you can quit" mentality. At least in California, I don't see them retaining employees very well and it's no wonder.. I would never work here again.
Pros
Working remotely
Cons
Pay not good, terrible benefits, management with unrealistic demands.
Company does not care about employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA30 October 2016
Management is awful, work is miserable, no room for advancement. Business is immoral and at times unethical. Co-workers were good, but there is no time to interact, so it does not really matter. Medical notes are ignored or "lost". Pay was awful for many years, now is at best average, but very low for the work they expect and the way you are treated. If you can get another job-do it!!
Pros
Cons
bad pay for work expected, bad management, unethical
Going down the hill really fast
Designer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MA15 October 2016
A lot of people are leaving because the future of this company is unknown due to merging plans with another company. Staff is fairly friendly. The management is on their high horse, treats people poorly, shows no respect, extremly rude and often times very unprofessional. A lot of work is recycled from projects that were done years ago. No originally or creativity. Absolutely no room for growth.
Pros
Office culture
Cons
Poor management
Horrible place to work.
Accessioner (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LA2 February 2017
The Alere of Gretna, LA Accessioning department has horrible management. They are disrespectful to anyone under them and show favoritism to certain people they like. They will overwork you, underpay you, and ask you to do tasks not in your job description.
Pros
Convenient morning shift and nice co-workers
Cons
Low pay, disrespectful management, slave labor
long and hard day most of the time
Employee (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CA30 March 2016
A typical day is long over 9 hours of work with lots of tasks needed to be finished at home. Paid and compensation are decent. The only good thing is the amicable work environment with very nice coworkers. Managements are ok, not that great.
Great company
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA11 June 2015
While working at Alere as a human resources generalist, i gained a lot of knowledge in the HR field. A typical day at work was spent entering new hires in our applicant tracking systems and assuring that they were ready to start by their hire date. I was responsible for completing their drug screens, their !-9s, their tax forms, and all other new hire forms. My coworkers were a great deal older than me which has its pros and cons. I was able to gain more skills and learn from them but also the age difference created a barrier between us.
Pros
good compensation, potential to grow, no micro-management.
Cons
no benefits as a contract worker, no job stability
Salt mines, very poor upper managment
Testing Services (Current Employee) –  Northern Californian22 March 2013
Super micromanaged staff with no enthusiasm. You were always watched closely with a micro scope. If you took too long in the bathroom you were questioned which was really embarrassing. There were talks of raises but nothing was done and management needed the employees to work harder and do more with no incentives. It was basically a gossip hall and can't trust anyone to be professional. Management basically looked out for themselves and didn't go the extra mile to help out others. It was very difficult to transfer out of a department or they would put a block on transfers. It was very easy to get written up for basically any little thing. Run from this place, not worth the time or energy.
Twighlight Zone
Testing Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Livermore Ca8 September 2012
I have been an employee at Alere for over a year and I'm so dissatisfied. Management is a joke and there is no communication at all. They will walk right pass you and not even utter a hello. They walk down the aisles yelling at you to pick up a call. They send out countless emails instead of fully training their employees and expect you to know whatever new process they decide to pull out their hat for that day. There are no talks of raises. Employees that have been there for 2+ years still haven't received a raise. There's no acknowledgment for going above and beyond your duties. Most of the people that work here love to snitch on one another. Most of the employees want out and are stuck due to the economy and job market.
Pros
at least we have a job.
Cons
salary, work environment, management
Overall, Alere was a pleasant place to work but lacked communication amongst coworkers and management.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJ5 March 2012
As an employer, Alere had a good health benefits and compensation package and worked with its employees when time was needed off for emergency/other reasons. They were also concerned enough about the relocation of our site to another state to let us know 8 months in advance so that we could prepare. However, there was a very large problem with communication amongst staff members and management. Any important decisions that were made affecting employees were usually discovered through third parties and no input from the employees was ever heeded. This lack of communication also deterred employees from being able to advance their careers as if positions were available, we were not well-informed about them.
Pros
raffles, seminars, nice christmas lunch.
Cons
not great opportunities for advancement, lack of communication from management.
Alere Home Monitoring great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CA23 December 2012
Good+ pay, good+ benefits, great supervisor and a new Corporate President who is committed both to make it easier for patients to manage debilitating illnesses and to improve and build the workforce.

Some inexperienced staff but that is being handled through increased training and better hiring. Some people do not like change or being held accountable.

As for those complaining about raises, I am just happy to have a decently paying job in this economy; as for bonuses, my belief is that they arise out of exceptional effort and/or using my discretionary time to help improve the company. In my experience, raises and bonuses come with results and/or increased responsibility, not by just showing up or producing "just enough" to meet the job description.
Pros
commitment to patient care and continuous improvement
Cons
inexperienced staff; only one good fund in the 401k
Client focused
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA31 July 2012
As an employee at Alere I am very client focused and production driven. A typical day at work for me is to respond to all emails received from client managers. I work with the client and client mangers to implement process and procedures based on the clients service level agreements. I work with a team that encompasses everything from data entry to dialer administrators. The hardest part of my job is knowing that there is no opportunity for growth in my department when I love what I am do. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people and the values of the company.
Pros
great benefits, healthy opportunities for employees, client focused
Cons
career opportunities
Alere has proven again and again to be the best
manager (Current Employee) –  Maine, ME19 February 2016
I have been with Alere nearly 8 years. I see some negative reviews here and they are obviously from disgruntled employees that were not taking advantage of the many opportunities that Alere Management offers to those that are willing to step out and take them. I have nothing but positive thoughts about Alere and they have been hands down the best employer I have worked at in my lifetime. Alere is a manufacturing facility that specializes in high level Medical Diagnostics. They run a business and obviously running a business does not leave room to make everyone happy at all times.. But they do their best.
Pros
Great culture
Great co-workers and overall company goals
Clinic Solution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS29 February 2016
Typical day was a full work load and never-ending but eventually very rewarding. Management is very biased at times and promotions are given based on who you know; not always based on what you know. The hardest part of the job was the work load and the most enjoyable were the people you work with.
Pros
Great people to work with as everyone wants to succeed as a company
Cons
If's easier to move up if you fit in with the right people
rated 4 out of 5 stars
Care Manager RN (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MN15 November 2015
Good salary and work environment was good. Some risk involved with current reduction in client base. Difficulty with career advancement.
A lot of changes in a short time
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KS27 July 2016
It has been a tumultuous time in my nearly three years at Alere Escreen. One takevoer by Alere followed by an upcoming takeover by Abbott Laboratories. And now a move to Kansas CIty, MO from Overland Park, KS. Lots of change.
very good
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA20 August 2016
A very nice company and friendly co-worker. An interesting task to increase your knowledge and I am a team worker, we always on time for the date of shipping.
Good for a starter to earn but not for people who wish to have a stable job
Machine Operator (Timegate) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA22 June 2015
work is typically redundant. not really for a brainer. But everthing works fine as long a you don't mind their business with other people just work your day on.
Pros
not bad for the salary
Cons
scheduling of work is pretty much immidiate and you won't be able to get your long term plan sorted

2.6