Alere Employee Reviews

Started out nice but has gone horribly downhill
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 15, 2016
I worked as a case manager for this company for 5 1/2 years. I would say I was only really happy about the first two. You can work remotely which is probably the best thing about them, that and my immediate supervisor was cool. But with all the changes this company has gone through since around 2010 or 2011, it has become all about quantity rather than quality anymore. I left because I could not take it anymore. Employees are absolutely miserable and the company does not care. They have unrealistic expectations and the pay and benefits are pathetic. If you try to discuss your dissatisfaction, they basically have a "if you don't like it you can quit" mentality. At least in California, I don't see them retaining employees very well and it's no wonder.. I would never work here again.
Pros
Working remotely
Cons
Pay not good, terrible benefits, management with unrealistic demands.
Alere has proven again and again to be the best
manager (Current Employee) –  Maine, MEFebruary 19, 2016
I have been with Alere nearly 8 years. I see some negative reviews here and they are obviously from disgruntled employees that were not taking advantage of the many opportunities that Alere Management offers to those that are willing to step out and take them. I have nothing but positive thoughts about Alere and they have been hands down the best employer I have worked at in my lifetime. Alere is a manufacturing facility that specializes in high level Medical Diagnostics. They run a business and obviously running a business does not leave room to make everyone happy at all times.. But they do their best.
Pros
Great culture
Great co-workers and overall company goals
Clinic Solution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 29, 2016
Typical day was a full work load and never-ending but eventually very rewarding. Management is very biased at times and promotions are given based on who you know; not always based on what you know. The hardest part of the job was the work load and the most enjoyable were the people you work with.
Pros
Great people to work with as everyone wants to succeed as a company
Cons
If's easier to move up if you fit in with the right people
Great pay
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 23, 2015
Working at Alere was an experience. I got to work along side some very special types of people. First of all, the nurses all sit in the section with their noses tooted up in the air. They never speak. And when anything goes wrong, they blame the reps on the phone. And then there is upper management who worry about trying to date the reps on the phone rather than do their jobs. One of the higher ups transferred back to Atlanta from the Pompano location when he was finished running through everyone. Don't flirt with someone who the other one has their eye on, and think that you will keep your job.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Nor everyone is treated the same
rated 4 out of 5 stars
Care Manager RN (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNNovember 15, 2015
Good salary and work environment was good. Some risk involved with current reduction in client base. Difficulty with career advancement.
aweful place to work
Clinical Admin Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 3, 2016
no wonder it closed. management was awful we called members to force programs on them they did not want. We then would put them back in the system to call them again cause they thought they would change their mind in 3 months
Pros
pay
Cons
the job its self is a con
Great company
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2015
While working at Alere as a human resources generalist, i gained a lot of knowledge in the HR field. A typical day at work was spent entering new hires in our applicant tracking systems and assuring that they were ready to start by their hire date. I was responsible for completing their drug screens, their !-9s, their tax forms, and all other new hire forms. My coworkers were a great deal older than me which has its pros and cons. I was able to gain more skills and learn from them but also the age difference created a barrier between us.
Pros
good compensation, potential to grow, no micro-management.
Cons
no benefits as a contract worker, no job stability
stock in time
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJFebruary 29, 2016
even tough the manufacturation is supervised by the fda the lead and the manager treats people like slave ,no talking ,not laughing no seating it should be more modern and accomodate their employees since they have so manny years and lots of experience they can perform their job sitting and talk freely
Pros
schedule
Cons
treatment
Graveyard Shift; Contract Employer thru agency
Quality Control Process Analyst I (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2016
Not much interaction with other employers due to working 3rd shift on my own for my department. Learning new things is difficult due to my working hours and the limited availability of personnel.
Pros
Gym on site
Cons
Healthcare; hourly rate for the hours that I work
Great Company
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 21, 2015
Great Company and culture. Would recommend to a friend, it takes time to grow relationships with distribution partners. If you follow corporate direction and keep a great attitude amid the sales pressure you will succeed.
fun, calm place to work
Donor caller specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 16, 2015
A typical day at my job begins with my doing all the bilingual calls, in this position I have learned how to deal with unsatisfied clients, and have learned how to remain calm eventhough when they are screaming at you or insulting you. My coworkers have been a great help, everytime I have a question they are willing to help me and explain to me in a manner that makes me feel good.
Pros
you can bring your kids to work once in a while
Cons
short breaks
allot work
Assembler -Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 29, 2016
always great work with Mexican and you can always have a free meal always overtime 40 and more hours if you want to learn to be a multi task person
Salt mines, very poor upper managment
Testing Services (Current Employee) –  Northern CalifornianMarch 22, 2013
Super micromanaged staff with no enthusiasm. You were always watched closely with a micro scope. If you took too long in the bathroom you were questioned which was really embarrassing. There were talks of raises but nothing was done and management needed the employees to work harder and do more with no incentives. It was basically a gossip hall and can't trust anyone to be professional. Management basically looked out for themselves and didn't go the extra mile to help out others. It was very difficult to transfer out of a department or they would put a block on transfers. It was very easy to get written up for basically any little thing. Run from this place, not worth the time or energy.
it was ok
Maternity Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 18, 2016
hated schedule easy job I loved the training and being around knowledgeable individuals. This job increased my passion for heath care. I disliked leaving work after 10.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Twighlight Zone
Testing Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Livermore CaSeptember 8, 2012
I have been an employee at Alere for over a year and I'm so dissatisfied. Management is a joke and there is no communication at all. They will walk right pass you and not even utter a hello. They walk down the aisles yelling at you to pick up a call. They send out countless emails instead of fully training their employees and expect you to know whatever new process they decide to pull out their hat for that day. There are no talks of raises. Employees that have been there for 2+ years still haven't received a raise. There's no acknowledgment for going above and beyond your duties. Most of the people that work here love to snitch on one another. Most of the employees want out and are stuck due to the economy and job market.
Pros
at least we have a job.
Cons
salary, work environment, management

Comment – March 1, 2013

Everything is the same over in the claims department. The employees that could get out have, and the ones left are trying hard to find jobs.

long shifts
Clinical research Associate (Former Employee) –  londonOctober 5, 2015
In particular, I developed my analytical skills greatly by working in the Chemistry laboratory where on a daily basis I tested raw materials and products to check whether they were in the specific limits to pass, using instruments such as the Infrared and Ultra-violet Spectroscopy, flame photometer, polarimeter, refractometer etc. I learned to follow complex procedures and used my own initiative to ensure reliable results of the highest quality. I also worked with research unit at different projects to reduce the waste cost of the manufacturing plant.
Good company
Medical Assembler (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CAFebruary 5, 2016
I learned how to operate equipment used to manufacture products and checks and inspects products against department procedures.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Wage
Overall, Alere was a pleasant place to work but lacked communication amongst coworkers and management.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 5, 2012
As an employer, Alere had a good health benefits and compensation package and worked with its employees when time was needed off for emergency/other reasons. They were also concerned enough about the relocation of our site to another state to let us know 8 months in advance so that we could prepare. However, there was a very large problem with communication amongst staff members and management. Any important decisions that were made affecting employees were usually discovered through third parties and no input from the employees was ever heeded. This lack of communication also deterred employees from being able to advance their careers as if positions were available, we were not well-informed about them.
Pros
raffles, seminars, nice christmas lunch.
Cons
not great opportunities for advancement, lack of communication from management.
Good company
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  StockportApril 22, 2015
Alere was an excellent company to work for until the end of 2014 when it became apparent that our put the customer first approach had moved to a put profits and cutting overheads first and customer service second. Which was a really shame.

The management team at Stockport were fantastic as were my co-workers.

The skills I gained at Alere were extensive...Stock control,Stock management,in-depth knowledge of SAGE and then SAP operating systems,VNA and forklift truck licences were obtained.

The best part about my time at Alere was without doubt working alongside the people that I did, going to work in such a happy and easy going yet very work orientated environment on a daily basis was a pleasure.
Pros
Good environment, holidays, good management
Cons
too much outside influence
A Sinking Ship
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 24, 2014
I am always skeptical of bad reviews as I assumed they were provided by bad employees who were fired or were disgruntled. I can tell you that the bad reviews regarding Alere are true. As a former employee I can attest to the validity.

Management, middle and executive level does not take accountability for their actions and is not held accountable. I have heard managers speaking ill of there employees in the hall for everyone to hear, managers stating they get their employees to do something by stating the CEO said to do it, and the HR Director speak about the reason for an employee being out on FMLA during an unrelated meeting I attended.

Many line employees are afraid to speak to people in other departments for fear of being admonished. The culture is very hierarchical and managers will not answer emails from employees below their pay grade. There is very much a do as I say, not as I do attitude and unless you are a yes person you are unpopular and out of favor.

This is the worst place that I have worked and I am very happy to be an ex-employee.
Cons
unethical management, poor business practices, offshoring to the phillipines