Alere Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good old boys club. Don't complain because they make your life worse and do nothing about the situation, this includes management.
A/R Follow-up Representative (Former Employee), Livermore, CADecember 27, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
To Whom This May Concern,

Per our conversation that we had last week on Tuesday where you stated that if I am unhappy about the way that Alere does things than I can just leave. And that I can forget about getting the day after Christmas off for Kwanzaa. It seems as though Ledgent and Alere want to replace me. Being denied a religious/cultural holiday off is against the law.

At the meeting that we all had together on Tuesday, November 26, 2013, the HR Director at Alere asked me to stay with Alere and work with the company through the transition to March 1, 2013. The Revenue Cycle Director also stated, “I will not fire you. You will fire yourself.”

I work very hard and do not take my breaks as I am anxious about leaving my desk or anything that I do. I get accounts paid, that if you work in the medical field, you know that is a huge accomplishment to have those companies pay claims. I can’t sleep at night and barely eat anymore because of the stress. My doctor noted by heart beat at 100BPM. He asked me why my heart was racing and I told him about work, being micromanaged and worried about getting days off of work. At the lunch last week on Wednesday, while talking with other team members, they were astonished by what I have to do stating that they do not get that type of treatment. As I am being honed in on it proves my previous concern that I voiced to you about being harassed. Being singled out, having things only apply to you and not everyone else is harassment.

It seems as though anything anyone says I cannot trust as they appear to renege on their word. All of a sudden – more... since December 6, 2013 The Director and my direct supervisor are no longer talking to me and making it difficult to do my work. This has also created a hostile work environment.

Let it be known that I have never been treated in this manner where I am reduced to feel like a child. My enthusiasm to come to work as wan as I feel I cannot not trust the word of my managers or my agency to be people of their word.

With all of this being said, this situation if affecting my health and my sleep. I should not have to work this way or be nervous, stressed and anxious on whether or not I will still have a job or get the day after Christmas off. I will be filing for compensation for the loss of pay I will experience as I was told in September 2013 that this is a long-term temp to permanent position. And even later being offered employment by the HR director until March 1, 2013. – less
Not a good place to work if you are a contractor
Device Tester (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 3, 2013
Pros: well designed campus with plenty of open space, friendly teams of people
Cons: managers that focus on everything besides what is important, upper management visibly has no respect for those beneath them, practitioners of the indefinite contract
But then, nowhere is a good place to work if you are a contractor. When I was employed there, they were under a perpetual hiring freeze, which seems to have not changed. They made a regular habit out of staffing the core of their operations (manufacturing, testing, the people who actually did all the work) exclusively with temps, only they would constantly use the cop out excuse that they were on a hiring freeze. It was not uncommon to hear the phrase "I'm sorry, we can't give you full time this year, but maybe next year" repeated ad infinitum, to the point that people were kept on contract with their wages frozen and without benefits for as much as four years. So don't expect any sort of advancement. Just another cheap, Chinese way of managing employees that should be illegal in this country. If you have room for a contact longer than three months and they're not replacing someone on leave, then you have room for a full time employee; no exceptions.

The other reviewers mentioning micromanagement were spot on, only they forgot to mention the requisite bit about them avoiding real problems and inventing phantom ones. That is a longer story though, and could just be particular to the one that ran my department.

The campus is great, with plenty of interior and exterior socializing areas, and the working class employees were, for the most part, all awesome people. The kind of people who you actually want to have as friends outside of work. There were a few exceptions of course, but that can be found anywhere. As always, the employEES make for a great experience, but the employERS – more... do their best to ruin it. – less
Technology means well and fails too much...management horrible
Sales (Former Employee), FloridaOctober 25, 2013
Pros: good technology premises
Cons: poor technology execution / terrible management / cover up for deficient managers
Company has high and mighty vision of itself but can not work the simplest problems in a timely manner...managers in outside and inside sales have no clue about critical factors in reimbursement from market to market and the basics of reimbursement...average sales people and insurance dept are even worse at this...they live in the la la land of ever shrinking traditional Medicare and do not understand the dynamics that are sweeping healthcare as well as the nation's largest markets with tightly managed risk plans that require partnership and real work with insurers to archive successful market share growth. Only one Key Account Manager for insurance that is based out of California and knows very little about other key markets in the East. Region Sales Manager for me had a deeply flawed personality and engaged in insults and inappropriate bullying behavior more that one time and enough to have to unequivocally point it out to him. HR is only a CYA outfit to protect the culprits and oust the innocent. I believe they all but lie to your face as to actions they supposedly take and their concern for you. In the end they roll the carpet out for you to leave without real investigation and consequences for those participating in outrageous behavior as managers.
DO NOT WORK HERE!
RMA and Orders Processing Representative (Former Employee), Livermore, CaSeptember 11, 2013
Cons: everything
This was the worst job I've ever had. They do not to train you but yet they will try and hold you accountable to what they do NOT tell you or train you on. I had a total of 5 supervisors in 2 years. The last was the absolute worst. Never spoke to me and even said a "hello" as management does see you as a human. You are a "working machine" and if you do not work fast enough-they do not want you. There is so much favoritism here (unlike I have ever seen before). The coldest culture to work in and if you are not a friend of a manager or one of the favored ones, you are set up to fail. The upper management does not have a clue what they are doing and not care about their employees what so ever. You are treated like a child, not allowed to speak to the person sitting next to you and you will be timed if you are in the bathroom for too long accused of taking a longer lunch. Nothing you do will satisfy management even if you finish all your work at the end of the day. I couldn't ever pay all my bills here cause the work you do does not equal the pay. We were promised a raise 2-3 times but they lie to their employees and have not plans on giving anyone a raise. I got sick literally from working here. I was belittled by Team leads who are sell-outs who do not have your back!) and made to feel like I was totally worthless. They also charge outrageous amounts of money for supplies to very elderly people and its soooooo sad.
Great place to learn about Medicaid Healthcare
CLINICAL ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great place to learn about Medicaid Healthcare
Cons: Management micro manages their employees
Alere provides an opportunity to learn about various state Medicaid programs. I have learned a great deal about how state Medicaid works and its provisions for pregnant women, as well as state medicaid policy and procedures.. Alere is a company that specializes in providing various services for pregnant women. These services include weekly injections for preterm labor and core pumps for at risk pregnant women. A typical day at Alere is pretty laid back except at months in, where the company has to reach monthly quotas for revenue. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful and provide a positive work environment. Management is okay, but could improve on employee shortages and strain placed on current employees who are not afforded time off due to those shortages.The hardest part of the job is meeting productivity quotas at the end of each month. With the high number of phone calls and emails that must be completed it becomes very challenging in getting cases completed by the end of the day. Overall, I have learned to do my job more efficiently and effectively which is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Alere should be called The "Unhealthy" Behaviors Company
Quit Coach (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2012
Pros: i met some lasting friends
Cons: short breaks, health care not worth the premium, stress
I was so happy to get hired at Alere because, as an individual hurt personally by smoking, I wanted to do anything I could to fight tobacco. Unfortunately, I was greeted by more stress than I've ever experienced in a job, partly due to the constant threat of being fired. A Quit Coach is always 1 or 2 months away from a Performance Improvement Plan. If this (PIP) happens, the employee is nearly always fired. I watched most of the co-workers I knew suffer and get fired during the time I was there. Management is very cold. It is ironic that Quit Coaches get fired often for not seeming like they have enough compassion for the caller and yet there is no compassion at all for the Quit Coach. Calls are listened to and graded randomly by mostly inexperienced, new supervisors. The grading system is subjective and constantly changing. I lasted quite a while before finally being fired by a brand new supervisor for a random call.
Working at Alere taught me how impersonal and unfeeling a large, for-profit corporation can be. It was something I had never experienced It will be a long time before I get over this experience.

October 10, 2012

Everything that you write was my experience as well, including people being randomly fired when renewing a FMLA. It was probably one of the worst jobs that I've ever had and I nearly died, literally, from chronic stress induced by the management practices.

Great experience until the last merger
Manager, Revenue and Client Billings (Former Employee), Rosemont, ILOctober 25, 2012
Pros: allowed me to build great relationships, learn so much and see what it feels like to love what you do
Cons: after merger the new company had a very different mentality which caused so many to dislike the job
I loved what I did and the people I worked closely with and my customers. I felt that management really listened to our suggestions and gave us the ability to make decisions without micromanaging. This made me want to work even harder and really make sure things were done timely and accurately. My staff were amazing and really put in 150% effort. They where always there for me when I needed the job done. This all changed when the last merger took place and the company was larger than the main company we were working for. The management from the other company took over the overall business, and the mentality of customer service went out the door. I was directly told by another manager from the other company that if the customers dont like it they can go somewhere else, well guess what happened, I found out that is exactly what they did. So said to hear this when the services we provided to the insurance susbcribers where so beneficial to them.
Even thru multiple acquisitions the team remained focused
Director of MarCom & Participant Marketing (Former Employee), Marietta, GAAugust 19, 2013
Pros: great healthcare & vacation package
Cons: location of office
Being the lead for developing a distribution center to develop, distribute and store marketing collateral for a $300+ million dollar company took the majority of my time. Worked on the re-branding initiative from Matria to Alere for the participant materials.Developed and managed Matria/Alere Product Training Webinars for participants within the programs. Media coverage of 10th anniversary of Trading on the NASDAQ with CNBC. I learned how to work with cross functional teams throughout multiple company's and how to meet managements expectations. Met some of the most insightful people in the industry and have maintained those relationships even though some have moved on to other opportunities. Hardest part of the job was when I wasn't interacting with physicians, participants and just building spreadsheets, which were necessary, just not my favorite thing to do. Getting the opportunity to build a program that was going to streamline the business model and be a positive tool for the company.
Alere is a progressive company which is what I look for in a company.
Care Support Supervisor, Health Improvement (Current Employee), Denver, COOctober 16, 2013
Pros: extremely busy yet friendly enviroment
Cons: multiple daily system issues
A typical day at work begins with reading email for updates adn checking for addition reguests from my manager that may need to be added to my day. I send any updates out to the staff as needed. I make out the nurses assignments after assessing where they are with team their own worklists. I will check for meetings I have and attend as requested. I usually begin to work on special projects inbetween completing and updating time cards/schedules for 17-22 nurses in the morning. My staff and I work remotely so most of my time is spent in front of the computer on OC/phone or email to communicate and help trouble shoot issues. I listen to calls for each nurse for quality. I review reports or pull reports to assess productivity or any issues being identified. Once a month I hold team meetings and 1:1's with each nurse. These 1:1's consist of coaching/teaching/mentoring the nurses not only individually but as a team. The mentoring and leading is the most enjoyable part of my job.
A Sinking Ship
Trainer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 24, 2014
Cons: unethical management, poor business practices, offshoring to the phillipines
I am always skeptical of bad reviews as I assumed they were provided by bad employees who were fired or were disgruntled. I can tell you that the bad reviews regarding Alere are true. As a former employee I can attest to the validity.

Management, middle and executive level does not take accountability for their actions and is not held accountable. I have heard managers speaking ill of there employees in the hall for everyone to hear, managers stating they get their employees to do something by stating the CEO said to do it, and the HR Director speak about the reason for an employee being out on FMLA during an unrelated meeting I attended.

Many line employees are afraid to speak to people in other departments for fear of being admonished. The culture is very hierarchical and managers will not answer emails from employees below their pay grade. There is very much a do as I say, not as I do attitude and unless you are a yes person you are unpopular and out of favor.

This is the worst place that I have worked and I am very happy to be an ex-employee.
Vindictive Manager
RN (Former Employee), RenoDecember 13, 2012
Pros: nice environment, pleasant aesthetically
Cons: many unhealthy, staff - probably in need of chf monitoring now
After 1 year of employement, my manager left a hissing, vindictive, nasty message on my voice mail telling me I was to slow and caused the whole team to suffer on Christmas. This message was left on Christmas afternoon when we couldnt leave early. Fat chance. This was during a time of a systems "upgrade" and my call center list for this day was 400+ calls (not) to human beings who, surprise, "talk". This was a terrible job fit for me owing to its 'piece work' focus and my challenge hearding chatty patients into a nice short time frame box.- brought back memories of my factory days before becoming a nurse. Uck. This was 10 years ago and .hopefully things have improved - in hind site - could I do it again..Id have played that voice mail for the whole staff and the labor board before I left although I was too shocked and timid to think of this then and erased it. I eventually wrote to the managers boss although never received a response.

March 7, 2013

I worked there too. Same location. What a joke! They are about the $$$ not the patients like we were. There are things I know that I can't put in writing. But it was all out of control and now their doors are shutting down. YEAH!

Overall, Alere was a pleasant place to work but lacked communication amongst coworkers and management.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Princeton, NJMarch 5, 2012
Pros: raffles, seminars, nice christmas lunch.
Cons: not great opportunities for advancement, lack of communication from management.
As an employer, Alere had a good health benefits and compensation package and worked with its employees when time was needed off for emergency/other reasons. They were also concerned enough about the relocation of our site to another state to let us know 8 months in advance so that we could prepare. However, there was a very large problem with communication amongst staff members and management. Any important decisions that were made affecting employees were usually discovered through third parties and no input from the employees was ever heeded. This lack of communication also deterred employees from being able to advance their careers as if positions were available, we were not well-informed about them.
Think twice before even allowing this company to be involved in your healthcare
RN care manager (Former Employee), Lakewood COSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: not many in retrospect
Cons: questionable practices by nurses not identifying who they work for.
Nurses do not tell all patients what company they actually work for. So called "branded" clients are insurance companies that do not want the insured patients to know who they are giving their personal health information to...very questionable practice. Management is terrible, inexperienced, and at times abusive. Patients are being sent in-home moniters and don't realize these moniters may be similar to ankle bracelets for the insurance companies. Company receives "pharmacy benefit management" data which tells them when and IF a patient fills prescriptions, how soon before insurance is denied for a patient who is not filling prescriptions. Insurance companies do not care if a patient has to make a choice between food and rent or paying for prescriptions.
The worst place I have ever worked. Don't waste your time.
Management (Current Employee), Alere USFebruary 16, 2014
Cons: healthcare is tiered pricing depending on a blood test you have to take every year!
A typical day is that you are given no decsion making power and management can't make up their mind so your direction changes hourly. Management does not communicate so there are constant rumors you have to wade through each week. You are in constant worry your division is going to be sold, they reorg every 3-6 months so that no one is in a position long enough to truly be evaluated. The weakest links never get taken care of and you have to chase everyone down in a weak attempt to get anything done. No one is motivated to work because the company is on a downward spiral financially and it is demotivating to watch the Comapny bleed out every month. There is no team spirit and everyone is miserable. Please don't waste your time. The job market is picking up you don't need a job this badly.
Don't Consider Working Here
Just A Peon (Current Employee), New EnglandApril 10, 2015
Pros: Vacations and PTO
Cons: See Review
*Low hourly pay compared to other manufacturing facilities!!
*Yearly insurance deductible is more than twice as much as cremation services.....who can afford that?!?!?
*Management doesn't give two $%#@'! about anyone other than those in Carpet Land!!
*It's a typical corporate atmosphere where you're underpaid, under appreciated, and invisible to upper management.

In a nutshell.....you'd be better off looking elsewhere for work if you're not part of the "Carpet Land" Team!!!

Note to Management:

The 'Little Guy" matters...."WE" help keep this company going......treat us like we're just a number (if that) and morale goes right out the door!!! It'd be nice to actually work for a company that cares about it's employees, who would want to retain those that have been dedicated and worked hard.....but that's not happening here. Just typical corporate greed with the "You're Replaceable" attitude. It's sad really!!
Dismal management, poor morale
Client services dept (Current Employee), Alere U.SAugust 3, 2014
Pros: supportive co- workers, alere parent co is innovative
Cons: turnover, layers of poor management
Have been client service, acct management and other roles. As people leave, work shifts to those left despite existing overload. Upper management sets the tone with bullying, misdirected priorities and cronyism ( and a little nepotism to boot). Management berates employees in meetings to a point where it makes the room uncomfortable. HR too inept to intervene...employee files are incomplete, annual reviews not done, etc. Techs are competent but often overworked and poorly compensated. It is a work environment that is demoralizing not only in how you are treated but how they treat others around you. Turnover is rampant which burdens those who stay. Please don't seek positions with this company...even McDonalds would treat employees with more consistency and respect.
Alere Home Monitoring great place to work
Manager (Current Employee), Livermore, CADecember 23, 2012
Pros: commitment to patient care and continuous improvement
Cons: inexperienced staff; only one good fund in the 401k
Good+ pay, good+ benefits, great supervisor and a new Corporate President who is committed both to make it easier for patients to manage debilitating illnesses and to improve and build the workforce.

Some inexperienced staff but that is being handled through increased training and better hiring. Some people do not like change or being held accountable.

As for those complaining about raises, I am just happy to have a decently paying job in this economy; as for bonuses, my belief is that they arise out of exceptional effort and/or using my discretionary time to help improve the company. In my experience, raises and bonuses come with results and/or increased responsibility, not by just showing up or producing "just enough" to meet the job description.

January 10, 2013

This comment was of course entered by an unexperienced rude manager who doesnt listen to his/her employees and is more consirned with hitting numbers for the department than caring for the patient and their concerns. Get on get off take a dang order order order!!!

February 16, 2013

This horrible management is across the board in ALERE while there are a lot of people satisfy with there jobs there also a more than 80% of unhappy employees and how can you say any thing about the PRESIDENT when did you see him my thoughts exactly he needs to know what really goes on everyday on the production floor

March 1, 2013

Stay away from Alere's Livermore Claims department. It is a sinking ship due to the new managers Alere brought in at the beginning of 2012. They ran off some of the best employees. Those managers changed things up and did nothing in the way of trying to train people on the new procedures...and now it's being said some people just don't like change? Some changes are just not acceptable, and that is why the Livermore Claims Dept has such a high turn over rate. Oh, and one last thing.....there is no holiday gift in the world that would make that ugly place look any better... unless of course you are the type that can be bought.

Disfunctional Company
VOB Follow Up (Former Employee), LivermoreMay 11, 2013
Pros: good coffee, holey jean dress code with flip flop sandals
Cons: fake bouncy micro managers who lie to your face
Not a good place for contractors to work. Their managers micro manage you by standing behind you quietly, watching and listening to you and scaring the s--t out of you. They expect their employees to fix other employees mistakes which violate HIPAA laws and that is an acceptable work practice for Alere employees. 4 employees work one patient file in 4 different incorrect directions violating HIPAA rules by faxing or sending the patient's information to the wrong places and producing no results but dead documentation notes on a patient's file. This is not a professional DME PT INR provider, they specialize in unique, uneducated staff who spell "THE", "HTE".
They are also low wage payers. You get what you pay for. Unique, Uneducated poor performers

June 20, 2013

When I was there, I literally had to file an anonymous complaint to HIPAA for similar reasons. The Cancer Society hired mean, spiteful mgrs to spy on employees and convince them it was ok to deceive the public. Is Alere the new quitline I wonder?

Not really the best place to work.
RN (Former Employee), NYJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: my co-workers
Cons: no breaks, micromanagement, poor managerial staff.
A typical corporate job where mediocrity is rewarded, and good employees are dumped on. Managers are either lazy, incompetent or downright nasty. A typical day is carrying your workload, and the workload of employees who can't get off of the phone, either with patients or with family. The phone will drive you crazy, and this place doesn't have the best interests of the patient, either. Sales reps push services on patients, and they have very little knowledge of what the services actually are for - they are just interested in competing with each other for bonuses. Managers, sales reps and pharmacists are put on a pedestal. Nurses are lucky to get a stale basket of cookies once a year. Good job for someone who is used to being micromanaged, and doesn't mind the corporate atmosphere. I hated it.

February 16, 2013

You are absolutely right and that's across the board in Marietta Ga The SAME COMMENT APPLY

Software Quality Analyst (Current Employee), chicgo, ILFebruary 27, 2015
• Responsible for gathering requirement, analysis and design participation, business level QA testing.
• Participating in preparing test plans and QA estimates.
• Prepare the risk and mitigation plan.
• Work Estimation and Resource Planning.
• Coordinating with onsite and offshore team for ensuring the successful delivery.
• Manage Offshore resources scope, cost and time management .
• Manage and monitor the QA environment, QA environment deployments.
• Identify the tasks and distribute within in the team.
• Involved in Performance testing, functional, regression, system testing.
• Responsible for the tracking daily status from offshore and updating daily status, weekly presentation to client.