Alere

Alere Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unqualified management
professional (Former Employee), Scarborough, MEJune 28, 2014
Pros: convenient location
Cons: bad eggs, inexperienced managers, no leadership
This site is held back by a few individuals who have been there from the beginning. The only experience they have is with this company. This becomes evident in the decision making process. With time it becomes clear that they are not ready to become a world class manufacturing facility. It is an OK place to work for a couple years but don't expect the – more... "plants" to allow change, to do what's right and to be accountable. Oh, mostly, don't expect to see any effective leadership here. You've heard of "The Founder's Dilemma" but now that the founder is gone you just have clueless managers and a couple bad eggs stinking the place up. That's some kind of dilemma, isn't it? – less
Excellent Company to work for.
Clinical Assessment Nurse (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 26, 2014
Pros: cared about its employees.
My Manager was especially helpful; worked with me on my schedule; explained changes. Company offered Continuing Education. Hardest part of job was sitting for long periods.
25 Direct reports
Clinical Manager (Disease/Case Management) (Former Employee), Marietta GeogiaMay 19, 2014
Pros: colleagues became friends
Cons: inconsistent administrative environment
Call center cubicle environment. Required lots of personnel management.
Positive company
Server support engineer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2014
I've been with this company for seven years now and have been pleased overall.
Great products & services
Director (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 12, 2014
Pros: training, great people
Cons: compensation, frequent restructuring
Great place to launch your career in the healthcare industry.
everthing about them is bad... its just a paycheck
Health Care Coordinator (contract) (Former Employee), Marietta, GAMay 5, 2014
everthing about them is bad... its just a paycheck. The most boring job I ever had.
poor compensation, lots of work
Product Support Associate II (Current Employee), san diego, caApril 22, 2014
Used to be a fun place to work. Now it is miserable. Work you to death, very poor compensation.
Once was a good company to work for now not so good
Lead, Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 22, 2014
Decent company to gain some experience from. they seem to cut down on perks more and more every year
Best Medical Company
Technician II (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 10, 2014
Alere was one the best medical company i have ever worked for.
High standards, ethical
Clinical Assessment Nurse (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 4, 2014
Pros: cared about employees; employee was not just a number.
Cons: sitting for long periods
A great Company to work for; caring Supervisor; excellent co-workers. Hardest part of job was sitting for long periods. Management gave recognition for job well done.Thought I wanted to retire but found out I didn't.
a black hole for communication
it (Former Employee), charlottesvilleMarch 27, 2014
Pros: leaving
Cons: pick one...
Terrible inhuman place. Be in the click or move on. Too much politics and back stabbing. Management is phony and inept. All mouth and no action.
Work from home
Registration/Intervention Specialist (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 20, 2014
The best part of the position is I get to help people from the comfort of my own home.
Stay away from this place!
Current employee (Current Employee), LondonMarch 17, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything!
This company are very tight penny pinchers. Lab staff are poorly paid here, equipment is very old and the IT is a joke!! Systems keep freezing/crashing and nothing ever seems to get done. Since the company was taken over by Alere it became more stressful, the workload increases with the same number of people and limited resources.
Backstabbing is rife – more... here, nobody can be trusted. Office politics and complaining are often commonplace as well. There is also a sense of snobbery in terms of culture where some think they are better than others. Communication is terrible. IT sometimes make changes without informing colleagues and cause chaos!
Working here has destroyed me and everyday I am praying to find another job. – less
Flexible, fun, family oriented work atmosphere
UM Care Support and Welcome Team Manager (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 17, 2014
My start with Alere was as a temp. I was hired permanently in July of 2007 after which, my professional growth took off. The opportunities, as well as challenges, afforded me a wealth of information. My role as a utilization review nurse was coupled with learning case management, URAC, and eventually NCQA guidelines.
Being a wellness company, the philosophy – more... of prevention vs cure, also went for those doing the work. From smoking cessation to weight loss, we were given to opportunity to access coaching and strive towards healthy lives and living.

It is a great company to work for and grow with. – less
Alere
Senior Site Manager (Former Employee), South Plainfield, NJFebruary 25, 2014
Our company was purchased by Alere. The operations were moved from New Jersey
Production line
Medical Device Assembler (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: stability
Cons: no cons
Hard work pays off. I whish I would have stayed in this position longer.
The worst place I have ever worked. Don't waste your time.
Management (Current Employee), Alere USFebruary 16, 2014
Cons: healthcare is tiered pricing depending on a blood test you have to take every year!
A typical day is that you are given no decsion making power and management can't make up their mind so your direction changes hourly. Management does not communicate so there are constant rumors you have to wade through each week. You are in constant worry your division is going to be sold, they reorg every 3-6 months so that no one is in a position – more... long enough to truly be evaluated. The weakest links never get taken care of and you have to chase everyone down in a weak attempt to get anything done. No one is motivated to work because the company is on a downward spiral financially and it is demotivating to watch the Comapny bleed out every month. There is no team spirit and everyone is miserable. Please don't waste your time. The job market is picking up you don't need a job this badly. – less
Enjoyed my job loved helping to bring healthy babies in the world.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: gym in the building and lunch provided at times. pot luck for special occassions.
Cons: i got laid off from the company due to my department being outsourced.
Once we arrived we were briefed on our down loads to the day and able to get coffee and breakfast and work on fulfilling our packets of information we supplied to our participants. That I had a very important job of assisting our clients which were insurance companies control health care cost, by providing a wellness program. Some were nice some were – more... not. Executives were accessible when we needed to talk to them. – less
A Sinking Ship
Trainer (Former Employee), Livermore, CAJanuary 24, 2014
Cons: unethical management, poor business practices, offshoring to the phillipines
I am always skeptical of bad reviews as I assumed they were provided by bad employees who were fired or were disgruntled. I can tell you that the bad reviews regarding Alere are true. As a former employee I can attest to the validity.

Management, middle and executive level does not take accountability for their actions and is not held accountable. – more... I have heard managers speaking ill of there employees in the hall for everyone to hear, managers stating they get their employees to do something by stating the CEO said to do it, and the HR Director speak about the reason for an employee being out on FMLA during an unrelated meeting I attended.

Many line employees are afraid to speak to people in other departments for fear of being admonished. The culture is very hierarchical and managers will not answer emails from employees below their pay grade. There is very much a do as I say, not as I do attitude and unless you are a yes person you are unpopular and out of favor.

This is the worst place that I have worked and I am very happy to be an ex-employee. – less
Assist customers with enrolling them into Healthy Outcomes Living Programs if eligible.
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: helping people
150 to 200 calls per day. I learned more about Medical Deseases.
Management is nice and give you the good things and the opportunities. The most enjoyable part of working their is helping people that want and need the Healthy Living Programs as well and the help from RN's and CNA in person or over the phone 24/7.

1 2 3 4

About Alere

When you really need an answer -- fast -- toss out the crystal ball and bring in Alere. The company offers both professional and – Read more