Alere Employee Reviews

Cool place
Production Chemist (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CA13 August 2017
I worked here for two years and would have stayed here if they didn't keep people as a temp for so long. That's the only reason why I left. However, the people are nice and you learn a lot.

I like the culture since they cater to each shift when it comes to social activities. I thoroughly appreciated that because each shift felt acknowledged.

Sometimes the supervisors/managers could be a problem because they do not show or tell you that they appreciate you. For a lot of people, it's a big deal to hear someone just say "Good job!"
Pros
free lunches, movie nights, happy hour
Cons
supervisors/managers not good at showing appreciation, keep people on as temps for longer than a year
Avoid
QC Technician (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CA9 August 2017
Not recommended, too much turnover in staff. Bosses don't understand what goes on under them but make decisions like they do. decent for fresh grads but move on ASAP.
Pros
Cons
everything
Working at Alere
Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA7 August 2017
I worked as an Operator at Alere(2nd Shift) by contract through a temp agency. I learned to operate and got certified on the 8 machines on a manual assembly line. Majority of the people there were helpful especially my lead because I asked him to teach me other things that most operators do not know such as documentation. He offered to take his time to let me learn and do it on my own with him double checking. Not everyone there will be your friend but the people that trained me were all very nice. This job is very easy but some leads can put pressure on you but it is manageable. I disliked that this job does not have any room for promotion and supervisor is not around when it is busy to see the hard worker that I really am. She was only around when it got slow and there was nothing to do. Therefore, I got laid off while some other workers who do not work as well as me got to stay. There is always going to be drama and rumors but that did not stop me from working. Besides that, the people there are fun to be around. I loved that they have their own gym that the employees get to use before or after work. I honestly miss and love working at Alere. In my opinion, it is probably MY favorite company I have ever worked for and I really hope I get to come back!
Pros
Gym, Lockers, Vending Machines, Basketball Court
Cons
Contract only
Great company to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PA31 July 2017
They are very dedicated to staff ad provide incentives. Learned new information technology, customer service skills. Fun traveling and new growth opportunities. Could have better management.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Demanding management
Don't waste the best years of your working life at Alere!!
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA7 July 2017
This company manages through a culture of fear and intimidation. There is no "dialogue." Or two-way communication. It's simply, "Do it this way or you'll get written up." Turnover in my division has been excessive and how is that surprising? Everyone I know has either left for a better opportunity or they are currently interviewing - including myself.
Pros
Ummm... a paycheck. Co-workers.
Cons
How much time have you got?
Better than most call centers, focused on ensuring you are solid in your knowledge
Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA6 July 2017
I did enjoy working at ALERE it just wasn't a good fit for me as an individual who likes variety in my day to experience. I felt like advancement was too far off and too long of a process
Excellent Company to work for
Manufacturing Lead (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 June 2017
5 years with company, promoted to Manufacturing Lead, outstanding management group, except for the layoffs, company is a 4.5. I learned a lot about Manufacturing within Medical Company
excellent team and opportunity to solve complex problems
Materials Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA1 June 2017
My position at Alere allows me to partner with various teams around the world solving complex problems creating point of care diagnostic consumables. I have been able to learn a great deal and contribute often.
Pros
work life balance, growth opportunities
Cons
health insurance plans
Big fish ate the little fish
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS 6621131 May 2017
Alere acquired the smaller company eScreen. eScreen had wonderful business practices that favored the employee; encouraged each employee to give their best. Alere took over and flex time stopped and micro management took over. Very oppressive environment when I left.
Pros
competitive compensation and benefits
Cons
strict adhersion to scheduled work hours, micro management, unreasonable daily quotas, insufficient training.
A good place to work beautiful enviornment and good people to work with
Enrollment Specialist, temporary Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GA30 May 2017
This was a temporary position for the year that I worked there is was a wonderful place It was just to bad the company had to down size and relocate because of there budget.
Pros
Always doing special thigs for there employee, gifts, lunches always felt special.
Cons
The company brought in a lot of temporay employee which make it very hard to get hired in permanet
productive enviroment
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJ25 April 2017
great company to work for great benifits. productive environment. a lot of overtime good pay . friendly workers with great ambition.always room for growth within the company
Pros
vacation time
Good job
RN casemanager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CO30 March 2017
Good learning experience. Good comany and flexible hrs. Good nursing supervisors. Great computer skills to learn. Patient teaching that is valuable for them.
Pros
Good work conditions
Great culture
Infectious Disease Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL27 March 2017
Alere had a great culture despite issues with many products. Each company that was purchased by Alere had good products to start that seemed to get worse when Alere took over.
an okay job
Medical Device Assembler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA22 March 2017
the people are great but job security is poor .
Typical Work Day
RN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 February 2017
My job description was meant to speak with the public clients in company with Alere and assess if they needed Case Management. There was health education involved to help the client understand their health and note if Case Management would help them further.I felt the most enjoyable part of the job was I made a difference in the care a client could get.
Pros
Great Team Support From Management
Cons
Stressful and short lunches with no breaks.
Horrible place to work.
Accessioner (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LA2 February 2017
The Alere of Gretna, LA Accessioning department has horrible management. They are disrespectful to anyone under them and show favoritism to certain people they like. They will overwork you, underpay you, and ask you to do tasks not in your job description.
Pros
Convenient morning shift and nice co-workers
Cons
Low pay, disrespectful management, slave labor
Dysfunctional company with an unfriendly culture
Technical Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA31 October 2016
Lower than average compensation, coupled by fear-driven management makes for a less than ideal workplace and culture. Great for workers who simply need a transitional job.
Company does not care about employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA30 October 2016
Management is awful, work is miserable, no room for advancement. Business is immoral and at times unethical. Co-workers were good, but there is no time to interact, so it does not really matter. Medical notes are ignored or "lost". Pay was awful for many years, now is at best average, but very low for the work they expect and the way you are treated. If you can get another job-do it!!
Pros
Cons
bad pay for work expected, bad management, unethical
Going down the hill really fast
Designer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MA15 October 2016
A lot of people are leaving because the future of this company is unknown due to merging plans with another company. Staff is fairly friendly. The management is on their high horse, treats people poorly, shows no respect, extremly rude and often times very unprofessional. A lot of work is recycled from projects that were done years ago. No originally or creativity. Absolutely no room for growth.
Pros
Office culture
Cons
Poor management
Love my job,the culture the peole and the variety of tasks i do daily.
Office coordinator/PA to Senior Directors (Current Employee) –  Galway9 October 2016
Love my job.Promotion Iminent, Career progression opportunitys are good.
Excellent experience attained in busy office managing 150+people , rapidly expanding office, experience in restructuring with no downtime,all aspects of facilities management,PA to 8 senior directors, senior admin in office, health &safety coordinator,front of house duties. Travel & expense manager for senior employees, projects experience, MS office skills wel used.
Pros
career progression, excellent personal developement, open office environment culture
Cons
Na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alere. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7