Alere Employee Reviews

Good people, poor management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VA9 October 2017
The people are friendly here. The management is poor. It's recently acquired by Abbott Laboratories. Hopefully, a significant correction would be made fix some hidden issues.
Steady employment and clean work place.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ME26 September 2017
Good overall place to work. I've worked there for about 5 years. It's very clean and vacation benefits is good. My only complaint is their are individuals who don't work but can "butter" up their supervisors get recognition while other who put in much more effort don't seem to be noticed at all.
Pros
Vacation time, stability and clean work place.
Cons
Lack of recognition to the deserving.
Relaxed Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX22 September 2017
Alere was a real laid back place to work, but they keep you busy. Management did their part to make sure everyone was always doing something so it made your work day go by faster.
At will employment
Accessioning Technician (Former Employee) –  Gretna, LA7 September 2017
Not paid enough for the heavy workload forced on you. Managers can fire you for any reason(aside from discrimination) as per at will contract, they're rude and dismissive.
Pros
You can leave earlier if you work fast enough
Cons
At will employment
Great people and great work environment
Staff engineer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ME18 August 2017
Great place to work for! People and managers work well together to get the job done. Great mentoring. Place is a state of the art facility. Great employee compensations and benefits.
Pros
Lot of Employee activities
Cons
can be political
Professional and decent place to work.
Sr. Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA17 August 2017
I've only joined Alere recently but so far the environment is pleasant. From the initial phone interview to the first day of work, everyone at Alere makes me feel welcome, comfortable and wanted. The Talent Acquisition team is supportive, positive and has a great sense of humor. Everyone works hard and cares for each other.
Pros
Decent salary, in-house cafeteria, gym, and good benefits.
Cons
My commute is longer- one hour door to door.
Working for a company that saves lives
Director Global Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Europe17 August 2017
What a great company to work for - its fast, ever changing and provides huge opportunity for personal and professional development. I have a fantastic team who push themselves day in day out to deliver the very best they can - because we know that our work helps to save people's lives.
I find senior leadership to be supportive, encouraging, focused and approachable. Working with like minded people is a real pleasure. it's great to come to work, enjoy doing what I do and making a difference.
If this sounds like the type of company you'd like to be part of - get in touch!
Pros
great team culture, flexible beneftis, home working where appropriate, clear mission and values, a company that is making a significant difference to global health economies
Cons
None come to mind - it is a great company to work for
Fast paced fun...good things on the horizon
Employee (Current Employee) –  United States16 August 2017
Never a dull moment round these parts. The work is challenging. The people are great. My experience with management is that they are engaging and do want to hear what you have to say. Its a teamwork driven culture and filled with persons who really want to make a difference within their personal and professional lives as well as in the industry. If you're looking to join a globally recognized leader within the health care industry...look no further!
Pros
Great corp culture
Cool place
Production Chemist (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CA13 August 2017
I worked here for two years and would have stayed here if they didn't keep people as a temp for so long. That's the only reason why I left. However, the people are nice and you learn a lot.

I like the culture since they cater to each shift when it comes to social activities. I thoroughly appreciated that because each shift felt acknowledged.

Sometimes the supervisors/managers could be a problem because they do not show or tell you that they appreciate you. For a lot of people, it's a big deal to hear someone just say "Good job!"
Pros
free lunches, movie nights, happy hour
Cons
supervisors/managers not good at showing appreciation, keep people on as temps for longer than a year
Avoid
QC Technician (Former Employee) –  Mira Mesa, CA9 August 2017
Not recommended, too much turnover in staff. Bosses don't understand what goes on under them but make decisions like they do. decent for fresh grads but move on ASAP.
Pros
Cons
everything

Want to know more about Alere?

Ask a question
Working at Alere
Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA7 August 2017
I worked as an Operator at Alere(2nd Shift) by contract through a temp agency. I learned to operate and got certified on the 8 machines on a manual assembly line. Majority of the people there were helpful especially my lead because I asked him to teach me other things that most operators do not know such as documentation. He offered to take his time to let me learn and do it on my own with him double checking. Not everyone there will be your friend but the people that trained me were all very nice. This job is very easy but some leads can put pressure on you but it is manageable. I disliked that this job does not have any room for promotion and supervisor is not around when it is busy to see the hard worker that I really am. She was only around when it got slow and there was nothing to do. Therefore, I got laid off while some other workers who do not work as well as me got to stay. There is always going to be drama and rumors but that did not stop me from working. Besides that, the people there are fun to be around. I loved that they have their own gym that the employees get to use before or after work. I honestly miss and love working at Alere. In my opinion, it is probably MY favorite company I have ever worked for and I really hope I get to come back!
Pros
Gym, Lockers, Vending Machines, Basketball Court
Cons
Contract only
Great company to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PA31 July 2017
They are very dedicated to staff ad provide incentives. Learned new information technology, customer service skills. Fun traveling and new growth opportunities. Could have better management.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Demanding management
Don't waste the best years of your working life at Alere!!
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA7 July 2017
This company manages through a culture of fear and intimidation. There is no "dialogue." Or two-way communication. It's simply, "Do it this way or you'll get written up." Turnover in my division has been excessive and how is that surprising? Everyone I know has either left for a better opportunity or they are currently interviewing - including myself.
Pros
Ummm... a paycheck. Co-workers.
Cons
How much time have you got?
Better than most call centers, focused on ensuring you are solid in your knowledge
Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA6 July 2017
I did enjoy working at ALERE it just wasn't a good fit for me as an individual who likes variety in my day to experience. I felt like advancement was too far off and too long of a process
Excellent Company to work for
Manufacturing Lead (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA19 June 2017
5 years with company, promoted to Manufacturing Lead, outstanding management group, except for the layoffs, company is a 4.5. I learned a lot about Manufacturing within Medical Company
excellent team and opportunity to solve complex problems
Materials Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA1 June 2017
My position at Alere allows me to partner with various teams around the world solving complex problems creating point of care diagnostic consumables. I have been able to learn a great deal and contribute often.
Pros
work life balance, growth opportunities
Cons
health insurance plans
Big fish ate the little fish
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS 6621131 May 2017
Alere acquired the smaller company eScreen. eScreen had wonderful business practices that favored the employee; encouraged each employee to give their best. Alere took over and flex time stopped and micro management took over. Very oppressive environment when I left.
Pros
competitive compensation and benefits
Cons
strict adhersion to scheduled work hours, micro management, unreasonable daily quotas, insufficient training.
A good place to work beautiful enviornment and good people to work with
Enrollment Specialist, temporary Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GA30 May 2017
This was a temporary position for the year that I worked there is was a wonderful place It was just to bad the company had to down size and relocate because of there budget.
Pros
Always doing special thigs for there employee, gifts, lunches always felt special.
Cons
The company brought in a lot of temporay employee which make it very hard to get hired in permanet
productive enviroment
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJ25 April 2017
great company to work for great benifits. productive environment. a lot of overtime good pay . friendly workers with great ambition.always room for growth within the company
Pros
vacation time
Good job
RN casemanager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CO30 March 2017
Good learning experience. Good comany and flexible hrs. Good nursing supervisors. Great computer skills to learn. Patient teaching that is valuable for them.
Pros
Good work conditions
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alere. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7