Aldo Employee Reviews

Not a serious company more like a soap opera company
Software Developer (Team Lead) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 March 2017
Management at all levels was unqualified and incompetent.
Management positions and promotions were obtained purely based personal connections and politics.
The norm of management was to exploit and take advantage of employees.
Working hard and with heart did not lead to reward or appreciation.

Comment – March 19, 2017

I worked at the head office for 5 years
So my comment is not related to the actual retail stores

The longer you stay the more they walk all over you.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada14 March 2017
I was with the company for 5 years. It is very repetitive work and the pay isn't worth what's expected of you.

I helped open a brand new store and was working 15 hour days only getting paid each day for 8 when I asked to be paid for my time I was told all Mangers do it and don't complain. Knowing the store wouldn't open in time they didn't act as though they appreciated my hard work or all the extra hours put in without pay.

It's a good company at first to work for until you see the true side to the upper management who refer to you as just another number and replaceable. The company is told to provide love, integrity and respect and that's definitely not how employees are treated.

If I was able to tell all employees before they started working for this company. I'd tell them they won't be happy working for a company like Aldo and it won't be long before they leave.
Pros
Fun at first
Cons
Just another number to diretors and district managers.
Great work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
love working here, great staff and amazing manager. learned how to handle cash and make deposits with confidence. love helping the customers and resolving issues that may occur
good environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2017
Over all it is a good work environment, the main downfall is management expects you to be on call at any time also the pay is not really enough.
Pros
management is understanding
Cons
not enough pay
amazing staff to work with
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
i had a great team to work with, that made my job easy. Lots of opportunity to grow within the company. Management was very understanding with your needs and wants.
Pros
interacting with good people.
Cons
single parent working late hours
Great experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 February 2017
Highly recommend working for Aldo Group. It was a great working environment, and amazing staff. If excellent in sales, plenty of room for advancements as they will always promote from within first.
Pros
Flexible hours for students
Cons
High demands durig slow periods
productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2017
The environment working for Aldo company is easy and fun. You get to experience working and getting to know the people you work with and the customers that come in the store. Overall, I've learned the ways how retail functions and offering proper customer service. I'd say the hardest part of the job is when you are dealing with hard-headed customers and you are getting placed on the spot not knowing how to handle the situation. But, the best thing is getting to work with your coworkers that you later consider your family, and also meeting people everyday and helping them with whatever they are looking for and leaving the store satisfied.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
long standing hours, wages, hours
Over all not a great company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
I was not treated and respected for all the time and effort I put into my job. I was over worked and under staffed constantly. Not a experience I would follow through with
fun fast paced work place
Stock & Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2017
very fast paced and sales oriented, with friendly staff and a good atmosphere. Management were very friendly and helpful, and it was easy to get along with coworkers. Often stressful, but rewarding, a typical day included organizing back room, getting show sizes, and sales floor work.
Cool company, but ultimately does not care about its employees
Sales Associate and Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2017
Aldo has the unique opportunity of being a fast growing Canadian company, but lacks the care and consideration required to maintain happy employees who feel valued.
Productivity is important
Customer Service/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 January 2017
Productivity is highly important and budgets must be me on a daily basis. Fun culture. daily tasks constricts on cleaning and selling.
Pros
discount
Cons
pay
Productive, fast paced workplace.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2017
Started out as a part timer then full timer, grew with the company got promoted as key holder. Got relocated from Shoe Store to Accessories Store. Then got promoted as an assistant manager then relocated to another location.

Learned so much since I joined this company, learned a lot from each different managers. Learned how to be well organized, how to communicate with co-workers, how to keep my sales consistent, how to keep up with what I was doing, etc.

The hardest part of this job is to learn how to deal with customers who complains at the same time to keep my mind calm and stable then offer customer proper result. To be enthusiastic every day at work, since you will run into lots of different customers with different personalities. You have to act fast!
no breaks when busy
Sales Representative / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2016
The management is not organized. Hours not given to all. Too many employees not enough shifts distributed fairly. Managers terrible at setting schedules.
Pros
nice co workers
Distributor
Product Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 December 2016
Hard to advance despite hard work, work a lot of overtime, very much a private club. Training is very minimum, have to figure a lot of things for yourselves. High pressure environment.
Pros
cafeteria, perks, office looks great
Cons
long hours, no development, salary
super catty and not worth the pay
Assistant district manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2016
I was in charge of helping oversee a district. I was treated poorly, and got paid next to nothing to be working easily over 60 hours a week. I was asked to skip a funeral, and was told I would be fired if I went.
Cons
Upper Management. Long unpaid hours.
Pleasant working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 December 2016
Flexibility in working hours especially to young parents. Pleasant working environment with accessibility to sports and gym. Benefits with a group insurance is provided.
Possibility of upgrading your skills is offered as well as autonomy and self management which I find the most enjoyable.
The managerial supportive spirit and the openings for advancements are really poor and so as the salaries lower than the average in Quebec.
Pros
Fridays during summer months are half-day
Cons
Advancement and competitive salary
Fun paced environment.
Key Holder and Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 November 2016
Working at Aldo was a good experience in providing client services. I learned how to deal with customers and how to manage other employees. It helped me learn how to work with other people and that we all work in our own unique way. The hardest part of the job would be trying to help customers find what they needed when we didn't necessarily have the product. We did out best to provide the best services to our clients and find what they needed. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with employees who are you can rely on. The team was always very close and always had a good time. I enjoy working with people I can become friends with because it makes the job that much easier. I became more open and confident with providing services working with people that I can trust because I was not afraid to ask questions or ask someone for help. Aldo has given me the experience to expand my customer service skills.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Shift work.
Hi energy with low benefits
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS17 November 2016
Your typical day is selling as much as possible without much incentive to do so. Commission should not only be available to full time employees.
A fun and productive work place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers and fulfilling their needs of getting a shoe that fitted to their idea for; wedding, graduation, special event and etc. Seeing customers leave happy and relieved.

Management team is great and treat the store as if it was their own. Very understanding and setting up team requirement goals that are needed to finish by the end of the day.

My learning experience in this field was that just because it was a shoe store, doesn't mean it wasn't something you could of learned from. Just by the kind of people working there and the environment you can actually learn a lot. This was my second job ever that I enjoyed working at and realized that its not a difficult job to be in. You just have to have great sense of customer service skills, which i gained by working here.
Pros
Discounts
A place that is dynamic and exciting.
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON, Guelph, ON, Brantford, ON.14 November 2016
A typical day consists of helping customers, putting away stock, and cleaning the store.
This job taught me the people skills I need to carry myself confidently in the work place, and in social situations.
Management can vary frequently, and each location operates differently.
Like management, employees in many retail jobs tend to turn over frequently.
The hardest part of the job can sometimes be fitting in all of the things that need to get done behind the scenes during busy times.
The most enjoyable part for me, aside from meeting new people every shift, has been the visual and creative aspect of the job.
Pros
Room for creativity and growths within the company.
Cons
Low pay, and not a lot of hours during slow times.