ALCOA

ALCOA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Best Employer
Tool & Die Maker (Former Employee), Collingwood, ONDecember 11, 2012
Pros: training opportunities
Cons: plant closed
Productive environment with encouragement to learn and improve skill sets.
Diffeent processes from casting / machining and painting.
Quality Auditor / Quality Supervisor (Former Employee), Mountain, ONSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: learning on a continuous bases.
Cons: sometimes i would start a job and get pulled away for other duties, due to that fact i took some work home on weekends.
My duties included maintaining the Quality System. Writing and updating Document and Data Control. I performed Internal Audits to the ISO Standard.
I performed final inspection on the product as well as rework.
Audited Suppliers for compliance to the Quality Standard.
Reinspected finish goods due to a nonconformance.
I enjoyed the different duties as well as the challenges. Each day was always different.
I worked with all levels in the organization.
Team player and very organize in terms of Safety alertness
Mine Support Planner & Blasting staff (Former Employee), Al-Baitha Qassim K.S.AJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: free accommodation, food and transportation
Cons: long hours
A global leader in lightweight metals technology, engineering and manufacturing, Alcoa innovates multi-material solutions that advance our world.
I loved working here!!
Paintshop Operator (Former Employee), Beloit, WIJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: long lunch breaks, supervisors were very friendly, and everbody worked as a team, great pay and benefits!
Cons: when they shipped everything over seas, and i was permenantly layed off:(
A typical day was very easy, the pay was really good, the time that I spent there I felt as if I was part of a family. Everybody was very personable. The day went by fast, and the work was not hard, I enjoyed every minute. We did get mandated to work overtime a lot, but the checks made it worth it.
Cleve Oh
Just an avg production guy (Former Employee), Cleveland OHJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: used to be a lot
Cons: shortened breaks benefits cut with each contract renewal
Alcoa Used to have good benefits. At present, Alcoa owes it's employees millions of dollars as they ripped them off by cutting break times! Although Alcoa has been Court Ordered to pay up they still have Not. Now Alcoa Used to give Great Performance Bonuses, however, since the recent court order they cut the bonus from 6% to 1.7%!!!! When I worked there I worked 7 days a week for over 10 yrs. The management is a joke. Alcoa is all about their pockets!! Contract time was most depressing as we were forced to give back more. I feel very badly for the retired folks. All those yrs wasted when I should've been home Sometimes with my family.
productive and busy work place with lots of work
processing tech (Current Employee), Torrance, CAJanuary 9, 2015
long working day , learned how different solutions react to different parts when the solution is strong or weak, management is ok, good relationship with coworkers, the hardest part of the job is breathing the chemicals particularly when the solution is new, the most enjoyable part of the day is when your hard work is shown by the way the work order comes out looking
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Salisbury, NCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: people that i work with
Prepare shipping documents for production
Greet visitors coming into building
Answer incoming calls and directing them to the correct person
Payroll
Order office supplies
Researching unpaid bills
Maintain communication with shipping locations
fun place to work
MACHINIST (Former Employee), Barberton, OHJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: gtrat employees
Cons: working 7 days a week
work was not hard, employees were helpful and pleasant. safe environment, opportunity for advancement, great medical benefits
overtime availability
Corporate environment
Warehouse Administrator (Current Employee), Simi Valley, CADecember 29, 2014
Its a corporation, Overall a secure job.
unqualified management unwilling to accommodate employees or work within a schedule that will help balance work with personal life.
Absolutely beneficial to my degree
Supply Chain/Production Control Intern (Current Employee), Bloomsburg, PADecember 15, 2014
Pros: always a joy to come to work
This company was an absolute delight for which to work. From employee engagement to the culture, the company was a great place to gain experience before graduating with a Supply Chain degree. I was able to get hands-on experience while applying what I was learning about in the classroom.
Manufacturing company with 144 million in annual sales
Planner (Former Employee), Fullerton, CADecember 12, 2014
Pros: a lot of work
Cons: too many hours
I learned many skills at Alcoa, from basic computer skills to comprehensive planning, analytical tasks. I worked in a department with many different and strong personalities.
Productive and fun workplace
Windows/VMware System Administrator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 9, 2014
Everyone worked as a team and were very productive. Very nice work place and with helpful individuals. Even with such strict deadlines, we were able to smile and work as team.
Great pay, benefits, etc...BUT...
Assistant Machine Operator (Former Employee), Lancaster, PADecember 7, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: 40 minute paid lunch in 12-hr shift hurts; living there for most part hurts even worse.
You WILL live here. If you've under 5 years your first a "pick[ing] your poison"--overtime; and, there's lots of it.
You'll average 60-hr weeks. It was brutal--12-hr days, rotating shifts; you can never adjust. A lot of times you're faced with but 1 day to transition from a 6a-6p right into a 6p-6a.
No summer whatsoever. Again: if under 5 years, most seniors take their vacations during summer which in turn means double the overtime.
Productive environment with many dedicated individuals
Industrial Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Point Comfort, TexasNovember 24, 2014
Pros: great compensation for travel etc., easy work
Cons: dangerous environment
Working at Alcoa in Point Comfort was a pleasure and great experience for me. I learned many intricate parts of big business and meeting a desired output with a team. My management and co-workers had many pros and some cons but ultimately it worked. The hardest part of the job was the physical heat of the plant emitted from the operation. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and accomplishing a goal every day.
Poor culture of mediocrity, cronyism and stagnation
Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 23, 2014
Pros: if you suck, you'll love it here
Cons: poor culture - mediocrity, cronyism, lack of growth, lack of change.
The New York office of Alcoa is best characterized as stale and unchanging, filled with protected mediocre talent who couldn't compete elsewhere. HR is too busy coddling incompetent staff at all levels who have no business working in business while at the same time hire young, enthusiastic agents of change who quickly learn of their mistake of accepting the offer letter.
The culture in the NY office simply provides little to no growth - technically or professionally. Facilities are poor for a headquarters office and are overseen by an inexperienced and incompetent team. Cronyism is deeply rooted here - half the admin assitants were either waitresses in bars or worse - but because of "friends" within HR or inside the CEO's office, they now enjoy protected status. Management sits back, excuses and accepts this culture as "this is the best we can get"...that all the best talent is vacuumed up by the nearby investment banks and law firms. Very few are interested in change...you can even see this at leadership conferences where the CEO challenges his top staff and HR to hire better, more engaged and competent people and he is met by dead, disengaged stares.
If Alcoa hadn't closed down, I would have been happy to continue working there as a Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee), Pt Henry, Moolap, VictoriaNovember 22, 2014
I felt the company was very professional and strictly followed Work Safety and OH &S principles with continued training in place for staff. There was a high level of respect among staff at all levels and I felt that work, family and life was well balanced.
nothing
Production Cell Operator (Former Employee), Dover, NJNovember 9, 2014
Cons: the job in its self
Alcoa was a stressful workplace where you were forced to work OT on weekends
job with opportunity for skill improvment
Plant Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), KwinanaNovember 6, 2014
Pros: lots of skills learnt, pay, awareness of safety
Cons: dangerous work
daily jobs varied. learned alot about the alumina industry and different materials and processes. a safety culture was also strengthened whilst working with CECK in ALCOA. Management was very unorthodox but easy to deal with. Co workers were were friendly and hard working, a good senior worker program was in place to make it easier for new workers. the hardest part of the job was when maintaining the plant doing it in the heat, due the the extensive personal protective equipment needed. The most enjoyable part of this job was the skills learnt .
Excellent
CUSTOMER SUPPORT REP. (Current Employee), Sylmar CaliforniaNovember 4, 2014
Great work environment, great workers, good management. Customers always satisfied.
fun company
Shipping/Receiving (Former Employee), Indianapolis INOctober 29, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: free lunch
• Kept records on materials, supplies, and other equipment that entered into warehouse ,verified the quantity and quality of items assigned, checking for defects and recording them to prepare reports on inventory levels
• Evaluated and made adjustments on inventory levels based on order history and performance levels in order to optimize costs and service

1 2 3 4 5

About ALCOA

While many of its aluminum products may be lightweight, Alcoa is anything but. The company is among the world's top producers – Read more