ALBERTA HEALTH Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Alberta Health Services.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flex spending account
Cons: hours of work changed from date of hire - makes for a difficult commute
• Reporting directly to the Executive Director and Manager , while providing exceptional Administrative and organizational support to the Senior Consultant, Assistant Scientific Director, Two Senior Medical Directors, Project Manager .I also work closely and provide coverage with the Vice President and Executive Administrative Staff.
• Responsible for managing and the organization of the Executive Director and Manager's calendar’s, Email, and Voice mail
• Providing support and follow-up for key issues and meetings. Creating correspondence including editing and formatting of letters, memos and reports, ensuring that all outgoing materials are accurate in regards to spelling, grammar and sentence structure, while maintaining confidentiality
• Providing assistance with collation of briefing notes, statistical, budgetary, operational and audit materials
• Prepare meeting packages and ensuring background related material is available.
• Arranges all activities related to committee meetings including the preparation and sending out of meeting agendas
• Maintain a “bring-forward” database for assignments, meetings, action requests and projects to ensure timelines are met.
• Responsible for overseeing Financials and providing support to the Executive Director with completing individual employee payrolls, RMS, Management Reporting, Oracle and MarkView
• Point of contact for the program
Amazing place, even better energy and company
Housekeeper - Casual (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2013
Pros: hours, coworkers, job description
As a housekeeper in a lot of work places you will often feel looked down upon, I never felt that at South Health Campus. Everyone in that building works incredibly hard to keep the positive energy and smiles flowing on every floor.
I worked days when I was at the hospital so between work and life it was easy to schedule my time accordingly
My duties included various tasks such as cleaning bathrooms, patient rooms, nurses stations, utility rooms, medicine rooms, and even the YMCA they have in the building.
Hardest part about the job had to be seeing patients I really cared for hurting (I worked a lot in the surgical unit so I got to a know a patient or two)
Best part of the job had to be my coworkers and the immense amounts of positive energy they brought to the table every day to keep me going even when completely exhausted.
Product, Fast Paces, Challenging and Rewarding.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2014
Pros: new skills every day
Cons: commute with new extended hours
Providing superior and excellent organizational support to an Exec Director, Manager, Project Manager, Assistant Scientific Director and the Vice President and Senior Medical Director and their Admin as required.
Correspondance
Key Point of Contact
HR - Recruiting, On-boarding, Time Keeping, Approval
Finances
Invoices
Expenses
Travel arrangements and Coordination incl. flights and hotels.
Memo's
Electronic and Physical File Maintenance
Financial Tracking
Expense Tracking
Assisting in Setting up Research Funding
Team Player
Can work independently or with minimal supervision
A challenge every day
Making a difference in the healthcare world to better care for patients and saving tax payer's money.
Encouraging, Rewarding Place to work with great coworkers!
IT Project Management Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2013
I work on creating, implementing and guiding several Project Management processes and practices for over 150 AHS IT Projects. The hardest part of this job was communication between different parties and getting their buy-in to follow a single process. There is also a lot of politics within the company and being in the public sector, it gets hit hard with government policies/cycles. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. They are very encouraging and fun to be around. We have many social events organized on a regular basis and a great mentoring program for Interns/Co-op students. Everyone is flexible with timing which allows you to have a great work/life balance, comfortable lunches and privacy.
Workplace with a good variety of responsibilities and really nice people
Finance Clerk / Admin Assistant (Former Employee), RDRHCJuly 29, 2012
Pros: discount at all the shops
Cons: parking
The Voluntary Association runs the Gift Shop, the Jolt n Bolt, the Cafe VA, Lifeline and other aspects at the Red Deer Regional Hospital. My job was the finance clerk/admin assist for the Executive Director. I did all the bookkeeping, HR and all admin duties for the assoc. I became very proficient in Simply Accounting and had a very large variety of daily duties. I worked closely with 4 othe people one being my boss the E.D. I worked well with approx 30 other people which worked at the VA.

The hardest part of my job was having so many people with requests and getting them done as quickly and efficiently as possible. I loved the variety and the teamwork.
n/a
Administrative Support (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 16, 2013
The essence of our culture, our values define what we believe in and what we stand for. They provide us with a common understanding of what’s important, anchor our thinking and provide us a framework for our actions.

Whatever we do and wherever we work, the quality of patient care is our touchstone. Each value is important and will have unique.

Our values describe "7 ways" we can personally demonstrate our commitment to patient care in our daily interactions with patients, their families and our colleagues.

We are all expected to use the values to lead our work, our actions, our decisions. In doing so, we will become a values-led organization and a leader in the health field.
productive and supportive
Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 21, 2014
I work in a team that is enthusiastic and supportive to each other and the clientele we serve. it is varied and crisis orientated.

The hardest part of the job sometimes is letting clients know that sometimes you cannot do anything fro them apart form listen and advise.

It is a very autonomous position with active support from management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the unpredictability of assessments which helps me keep fresh and up to date with current evidence based practices and and clinical knowledge
Every day was focused, enjoyable contact with clients, co-workers and management. Busy environment.
Casual Relief Secretary - Contact (Former Employee), Lethbridge, AlbertaSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: respect from other employes and being recognized for a job well done.
Cons: one unfriendly and unhappy person.
The environment was clean. Management and co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with. Busy environment with much distraction - high level of focus required. Tight professionalism a must.
The hardest part of the job was sitting for extremely long periods of time without a stretch.
I enjoyed the personal contact with clients, being of assistance to others, and doing a good job.
Productive and fun workplace
Service Worker I- Mat/Child- LDR (Current Employee), Medicine Hat, AlbertaAugust 9, 2014
Pros: relaxed and enjoyable environment
Cons: overnight shifts
As a service worker, I helped out the nurses majority of the time with stocking and errands. I've learned to deal with many different situations and how to show empathy in any situations. The management I worked for was amazing and would recommend working for them to anyone. The hardest part of the specific area I worked in was when we would lose patients, the most enjoyable part was working around all the new parents and working with the nurses on a one on one basis.
Outstanding
Data Collector and Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2012
Pros: creat your own hours
Cons: some driving required, costly in terms of fuel
Alberta Health Services is an outstanding place to work. I worked on a summer project called the 'Physician Overhead Analysis Project'. This project involved collecting data from doctors within the Calgary Health Region.

Supervisors and Managers of the project were very knowledgable and a pleasure to work for. Co-workers were fantastic.

I learned alot about the different departments of Alberta Health Services, and this helped me to decide on a direction in medical science.
Corporate Safety Advisor
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: Work/Life balance
Cons: Decision making by management was an extensive process
Growing health and safety management system
Supportive management
Collaborative work with co-workers
I learned and increased my facilitation skills in training opportunities.
The hardest part of my job was finding ways to communicate with workers in a geographically diverse organization of 100,000 employees where English was a second language, technology was not consistent and there was involvement of unions and the public image.
Helping the sick and injiured
EMT in a HCA position (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
Whether it's working on ambulance or working in the hospital, I do enjoy my line of work. On the ambulance I respond to all different types of 911 calls, and if the emergency calls for it, we transport to hospital.
In the hospital I an in a nurse aide position so I provide all the patient care, from toileting to helping them in and out of bed for meals. Sitting with them and having a conversation to sending them on their way home!
Positive, encouraging environment to work in which has provided me with personal and professional growth throughout the years.
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee), PLC, ACH, SHC, SAFPCJanuary 20, 2016
Cons: Shift work, switch between days and nights.
Assist families during crisis, work hand in hand with Mental Health Staff, respond to any disturbances/suspicious activity, ensure patients under treatment are being safe and not causing harm to self or others, work hand in hand with CPS,EMS,Fire and STARS.
A rewarding experience-healthcare is a huge responsibility-.
Telecommunications Operator-Switchboard- (Former Employee), ABAugust 25, 2012
Pros: the busy office made for time going by quickly.
Cons: the location of the office - not much interaction with public -.
After every 12 hour shift, I felt that I gave my best and had a very productive shift. My co-workers were excellent and fun to work with. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with Alberta Health Services - Fort McMurray -
a great responsibility but a wonderful environment and great colleagues
Telecommunications" Officer (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 12, 2012
Pros: i thoroughly enjoy the office setting and the challenges.
Cons: maybe, the 12 hr. shifts but, i still was o k with them
My full shift is very busy with answering/placing calls, recording internal operations of the shift, preparing and filing, announcing codes if needed and making sure the shift duties are completed at the end of each shift.
Enthusiastic and patient-focus Graduate Nurse with experiences in providing safe, competent and ethical nursing care
Graduate Nurse (Casual) - Medicine Float (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2014
Enthusiastic and patient-focused Graduate Nurse with background in critical care, acute care and general surgery seeking for an opportunity to secure job that will enhance my knowledge, skills and experiences in providing safe, compassionate, competent and ethical nursing care while considering clients’ life journey, and also in implementing nursing interventions which are aimed in improving patients ‘quality of life.
Great benefits with the ability to advance
Senior Advisor (Acting), Project Recruitment (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 19, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: employee recognition is most often forgotten depending on the manager you're working for.
Good place to work depending on the team you're working with and the manager you're working for. Work load is quite high and it is up to you to ensure a balanced work life balance but it is attainable with excellent organization skills. The company is quite large so the little things can get missed.
Union takes to much money for nothing
Maintenance Worker IV (Current Employee), Claresholm, ABAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Job Security
Cons: Pay
On paper I am paid well but after taxes, union dues and retirement fees i am making less than when I was apprenticeing. The upper management makes good money and the frontline workers make very little, and to AHS your just a number they dont appreciate you.
Great starting job
Dietary (Former Employee), Ponoka, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Great starting job
Cons: bad managment
I started working at the hospital while i was still in high school. the student jobs are a great and easy way to earn money. once i was out of high school i got a full time job which was good to start until my boss retired and new management came in. everything started going downhill finally leading to myself quitting.
AHS - triaging , admitting, treating ( medically and psychologically), discharging patients.
Registered Nurse - retired. (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 17, 2014
Acquired skills in time management, career enhancement. Ability to work effectively with coworkers. most difficult part of job is experience with death of clients from illness or injury. Most enjoyable part of job is discharging someone home feeling better from medical care they received.