Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Great people to work with/for. Good pay
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB12 January 2017
Workplace safety was very important, there was always opportunity to voice any concerns within the workplace. There was always hands on learning experiences. If there were any problems, it was easy to voice them to managers. And i always found it enjoyable to work with the other employees. The hardest part of the job was the physical aspect of it, but that was also the best part becasue it kept me moving and active.
Was okay
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2017
I left this job to start transfer to another position with AHS. It did not work out, I wanted to be transferred back and for whatever reason they would not take me. I am assuming it it because my new manager had words with my previous manager, therefore I was pushed out. I was not impressed and felt like no one was on my side. Since then I have a hard time finding employment with AHS for what I went to school for. My union rep was not helpful at all! I am very thankful to have found a job with the government for a non-profit organization where I am treated with respect and get answers from my employer regarding my employment.
Loved being a Community Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB6 January 2017
Typical day - varied day to day as there was many things that were included in the job description. I taught Pulmonary Rehab courses, did Asthma Education, performed breathing tests as required, made home visits to palliative patients, performed certain blood tests, taught caregivers about respiratory medications, their use, how they work, and the care of the different delivery devices. Also helped with Baby Wellness days in the region.

What I learned - time management, taking a leading role for teaching purposes, talking in an educational setting

Co-workers - I had the BEST co-workers at whichever site I was at.

Hardest part - leaving. I was only covering a maternity leave and there was a hiring freeze so they couldn't hire me on permanently

Most enjoyable - co-workers, clients, patients, being able to do what I was trained to do and doing it well.
Pros
Doing what I was trained to do, clients, co-workers
Cons
Leaving when my temporary position was over
Mayerthorpe Environmental Services HORRIBLE
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, AB5 January 2017
The Managment for Environmental Services at the Mayerthorpe Health care center are horrible people. Manipulators and very condescending. I don't suggest working there
Pros
Pay
Cons
Horrible Management
Beautiful new hospital with great values
Administrative Support IV (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
A wonderful hospital with state of the art technology, friendly and efficient staff, and beautiful views of the prairies to the East and mountains to the West.
Soul crushing and archaic values.
WHS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
Not great, with unfortunate misuse of it's potential. Soul crushing and archaic values. Not a place you can ever expect to make a difference in. Management expects quiet and unquestioning staff.
Good
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
Unit clerks perform a variety of reception, clerical and administrative tasks at nursing stations on the units or wards of hospitals, continuing care centres, physician's offices and other medical facilities. A typical day at work was good, my management and co-workers were awesome.
Excellent Work Environment
Unit Aide (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 January 2017
Alberta Health Services is a great place to work. Safety procedures are always followed strictly so I can feel protected while carrying out any task. There is room for advancement and co-workers as well as superiors are friendly, approachable, and understanding.
Pros
Benefits covered
Cons
Shift work
Stimulating place to work in
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  CA29 December 2016
Very challenging and rewarding job. Colleagues are very friendly and helpful. Fast-paced environment where I learned to multi-task.
lots of staff that are nice to work with
Food Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2016
flexible shifts
interact with hospital patients
management are nice
good working place
nice staff to work with
can be a challenge to work here when you encounter difficult customers.
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
do not give out points for casual
great place to work
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB12 December 2016
Extremely hard to get a job with alberta health services. I have worked as a HCA for them for two years in long term care, recently moved to Edmonton and can not get another job with them.
Pros
Amazing benefits and salary
Cons
diffacult to get a job, and to advance
Clerk III
MEDICAL CLERK III (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
I love my job at Foothills Hospital, but in my particular department the management is very poor. I have to give a low score for job security and management.
I would really like to work as a massage theripst
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 December 2016
I would d 16 hours a day 4 times a week.
I work with kids and adults.
I have dealt with robberys.
I go to mental heaalth at the hospital
Pros
long time to get pay check
Cons
Fun if you want to be a cop
Assisting medical staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
If you are looking for a start in policing, best place to start! Lots of hands on action, handcuffing, take downs, restraints, the whole deal! Never a dull moment. Great structure and training. Hard to fit in with existing guards/peace officers. Respect is given when earned.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Adolosent mindstate of co workers
Government
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2016
There are two types of positions: In-Scope and Out of Scope. In-Scope positions are unionized. If you enjoy working in a unionized environment, then AHS is a great place to work.

For Out-of-Scope positions, you are dealing directly with the manager. AHS is very bureaucratic and things are slow to change, but there is opportunity to improve processes and directly affect patient care.
Pros
Pension and generous vacation time
Cons
Bureaucratic and slow to change
I had am amazing time working for Alberta health services
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Amazing and a wonderful organization to work. I have learned how to deal with work pressure and i have an amazing team to support .the coworkers are friendly and cooperative .
I truly enjoy my job
Part time license practical nurse (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 November 2016
It's all about building relationships with clients with staff with other facilities improving communication and getting things done in a timely manner to address issues for clients provide the supports required for their future success
Pros
Client relationships ... Great staff / coworkers
Flexible work environment
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
great place to work, excellent pay and benefits, flexible shifts to maintain work life balance. Co workers are excellent to work with. I learned many new skills working at the royal alexandra hospital. The hardest part of the job was working short staffed.
Plan and conduct First Aid Training
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2016
Excellent organization, set up your class and teach! Supportive well trained co-workers. Super supportive and full of great teaching ideas to make first aid course interesting
Fast Paced and Full of Variety
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.