Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
amazing team
Registered Nurse-Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 20, 2013
Pros: amazing team, learning opportunities, great support
Cons: shift work
I have greatly enjoyed working on a team of amazing people and management. I have learned a lot and attained and advanced many skills. The hardest part of the job is working under stress and when short-staffed. The most enjoyable part is working with a fantastic team of wonderful people and seeing the results of amazing team work.
good people and culture, interesting work
Unit Clerk, PLC Emergency (Former Employee), calgary,abJune 2, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: 24 hour operation
Loved working for AHS in Calgary. Was easy to get on casual but can take time to get a permanent line.
Hard worker , fast learner and teamplayer
Clerical and reception duties for the nursing unit (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaMay 31, 2013
Pros: great people, new experiences, raises
Cons: long hours, high stress all the time
a typical day at work was busy with phones scheduling surgery. Dealing with 4 nurses and sometimes 8 drs. faxing and filing and updated data on the computer. I learned how to organize a clinic that was in great distress. Management was good for the most part and rewarding to learn from them. My coworkers were great i miss them actually there were fun – more... helpful and mademe feel apart of their team.
The hardest part was trying to deal with angry hurt scared patients all the time.
The most enjoyable part was just being a part of a team and the people i got to wok with – less
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 28, 2013
Great place to work and great people to work with. Way to take on new challenges and do the best that you can.
GOOD
SERVICE WORKER (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 22, 2013
IT IS GOOD EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH MY LAST COMPANY,BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE CLOSING IT DOWN.I ENJOYED WORKING THERE.
AHS is a good place for job security
HR (Current Employee), calgary, abMay 21, 2013
Great job security for all. Diverse workforce. interesting culture.
Excellent to work for.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), High Level, ABMay 19, 2013
Pros: constant learning
Cons: no cons
I learned so much from the people I worked with. The nurses were amazing and taught me so much. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the residents smile. My co-workers were excellent, kind and caring.
Good salary, good benefits, culture is lacking and so is management
Human Resources (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits, respectability, career growth
Cons: management, culture, relationships
AHS compensates their employees well, and also provides great benefits. The overall corporate culture I feel is lacking, working environment could be better. I feel management holds a "hiearchy" over employees which at times can distance working relationships.

Overall, I LIKE working for alberta health services, but don't LOVE it.
Fine staff, poor politics
Staff RN (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2013
Too much government involvement in an overlarge burocratic beast, not enough provider input.
Top heavy and political IT department
Informatics Consultant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: great co-workers - excellent pay/benefits
Cons: too many managers - toxic work environment
Pros: Excellent pay and life balance. Non-management coworkers were fantastic to work with. There are some real amazing people working here.

Cons: You earn your wages by surviving the toxic work environment. Prepare yourself to endure perpetual sterile team building exercises and management circle jerks. Disorganized, lacks direction, laden with cronyism – more... and the subsequent incompetent mid-level managers. Had a few managers that had no clue what an active directory was... not a good sign in an IT department.

This could be a fantastic place to work - but only after they remove half of the management. – less
Lots of opportunities to move within your scope of practice.
Rockyview General Hospital Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: good benifits
Cons: shift work
There are tones of opportunities within AHS. The only downside is that there are so many employees that it's hard to move up the ladder
Solid Team Work. Good Communication. Opportunities for learning
Psychiatric Aide (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 10, 2013
Pros: always look forward to going to work. very satisfying
Cons: 4 hour travelling time per day
Currently working night shift.
do rounds at least very 30 minutes. Help with admitting protocol of new patients. Keep unit and Nursing Station tidy. Advise Nurse in Charge of any change in patients status. Collect urine samples as ordered. Sit constant if ordered. Ensure safety of patients and staff. Report any workplace or patient dangers.

The hardest – more... part of the job is travelling 4 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is giving a patient a reason to smile and seeing them get well. – less
Very fun place to work - rewarding!
Telecommunications Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2013
Great place to work - I worked with an awesome team. Constantly changing and challenging.
Great place to work with a many wonderful people.
Secretary (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2013
I love working for AHS, the many different areas and departments have given me a greater appreciation for our healthcare workers. The people were very nice with the attention on team work. The managers were very helpful and considerate and I participated in the various birthday and farewell celebrations.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that – more... it was a temporary position. I would have liked to have stayed longer and learned more.
The most enjoyable part of the job is reading and learning more of the medical part of this position. – less
---
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: no job security
good to work for, good packages, learn a lot and gain more experience, deal with the stakeholders of the company. Deals with all kinds of employees.
Good professional working relationship with co-workers, giving quality care to the patients, family, and to the community.
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2013
Read and get report about plan for patient care and do the best I could to render my responsibilities as a nursing attendant in providing
immediate and routine daily needs of the patients. I've learned a lot at work in dealing with the pt's, family, co-workers and those who are involved in the pt's care----- I've learned to be a good team player, flexible, – more... having a positive attitude. My co-workers are doing their job well and I am getting along well with them but of course disagreement of ideas and arguments are unavoidable but we make sure that we come into a positive solutions at the end and deal with it. The hardest part of the job is having a patient who speaks in different language or who is a language barrier and when staff are not
working together as a team and when staff doesn't respect other staff.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when all the staff are working together as a team. having good working harmonious relationship and getting all the job done well. I also believe that respect for each other
should be present at work. I am happy being part of the team and enjoy my job because I have the heart longs for helping other people, I like and love my job – less
Good place to work,stressful at times
Hospital switchboard operator (Current Employee), Calgary albertaJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: no set schedule
Great company to work for. If you're not full time the hours seem to be all over the place which I don"t like. Iv learned a lot about the medical field and what different kinds of jobs there are in it.
It feels like your working at your own home.
Aide 1- Housekeeping (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 11, 2013
The staff from top management are very nice. I've been working there for 5 years and don't have any plans to quit or leave.
On the go all day!
Food Service 1 (Current Employee), Tofield, ABJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: i get to meet more people and learn more things i never knew about the job.
Cons: lots to learn & remember all at once, but i`m willing!!
Busy all the time. I`m learning something new every day as there are so many different aspects of the job! Lots to remember. So far I have been learning the ware washing. And surprisingly enjoying it overall. My co-workers to date are a good group of people and are very willing to tell me or to show me what to do!! Very helpful! For me the hardest part – more... of this job is taking out & bringing in the BIG garbage bin. But to this point, everyone has been willing to assist me! Of course the most enjoyable part of the job is getting out of my house and working with a wide scope of different people personalities – less
Crowded and cramped work environment. Co-worker in general are friendly and amicable.
Secretary (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: health spending account
Cons: difficult to advance
Scheduling appointments, tracking referrals and scheduling on outpatient waitlists. Maintaining and transferring files. Processing referrals, copying reports for distribution. Discharging files, Processing reports from template. Ordering and maintaining supplies and treatment materials. Scheduling of treatment groups.

About Alberta Health Services

We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide – Read more

Alberta Health Services Photos