Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good salary, good benefits, culture is lacking and so is management
Human Resources (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits, respectability, career growth
Cons: management, culture, relationships
AHS compensates their employees well, and also provides great benefits. The overall corporate culture I feel is lacking, working environment could be better. I feel management holds a "hiearchy" over employees which at times can distance working relationships.

Overall, I LIKE working for alberta health services, but don't LOVE it.
Fine staff, poor politics
Staff RN (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2013
Too much government involvement in an overlarge burocratic beast, not enough provider input.
Top heavy and political IT department
Informatics Consultant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: great co-workers - excellent pay/benefits
Cons: too many managers - toxic work environment
Pros: Excellent pay and life balance. Non-management coworkers were fantastic to work with. There are some real amazing people working here.

Cons: You earn your wages by surviving the toxic work environment. Prepare yourself to endure perpetual sterile team building exercises and management circle jerks. Disorganized, lacks direction, laden with cronyism – more... and the subsequent incompetent mid-level managers. Had a few managers that had no clue what an active directory was... not a good sign in an IT department.

This could be a fantastic place to work - but only after they remove half of the management. – less
Lots of opportunities to move within your scope of practice.
Rockyview General Hospital Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: good benifits
Cons: shift work
There are tones of opportunities within AHS. The only downside is that there are so many employees that it's hard to move up the ladder
Solid Team Work. Good Communication. Opportunities for learning
Psychiatric Aide (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 10, 2013
Pros: always look forward to going to work. very satisfying
Cons: 4 hour travelling time per day
Currently working night shift.
do rounds at least very 30 minutes. Help with admitting protocol of new patients. Keep unit and Nursing Station tidy. Advise Nurse in Charge of any change in patients status. Collect urine samples as ordered. Sit constant if ordered. Ensure safety of patients and staff. Report any workplace or patient dangers.

The hardest – more... part of the job is travelling 4 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is giving a patient a reason to smile and seeing them get well. – less
Very fun place to work - rewarding!
Telecommunications Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2013
Great place to work - I worked with an awesome team. Constantly changing and challenging.
Great place to work with a many wonderful people.
Secretary (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2013
I love working for AHS, the many different areas and departments have given me a greater appreciation for our healthcare workers. The people were very nice with the attention on team work. The managers were very helpful and considerate and I participated in the various birthday and farewell celebrations.
The hardest part of the job was the fact that – more... it was a temporary position. I would have liked to have stayed longer and learned more.
The most enjoyable part of the job is reading and learning more of the medical part of this position. – less
---
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: no job security
good to work for, good packages, learn a lot and gain more experience, deal with the stakeholders of the company. Deals with all kinds of employees.
Good professional working relationship with co-workers, giving quality care to the patients, family, and to the community.
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 31, 2013
Read and get report about plan for patient care and do the best I could to render my responsibilities as a nursing attendant in providing
immediate and routine daily needs of the patients. I've learned a lot at work in dealing with the pt's, family, co-workers and those who are involved in the pt's care----- I've learned to be a good team player, flexible, – more... having a positive attitude. My co-workers are doing their job well and I am getting along well with them but of course disagreement of ideas and arguments are unavoidable but we make sure that we come into a positive solutions at the end and deal with it. The hardest part of the job is having a patient who speaks in different language or who is a language barrier and when staff are not
working together as a team and when staff doesn't respect other staff.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when all the staff are working together as a team. having good working harmonious relationship and getting all the job done well. I also believe that respect for each other
should be present at work. I am happy being part of the team and enjoy my job because I have the heart longs for helping other people, I like and love my job – less
Good place to work,stressful at times
Hospital switchboard operator (Current Employee), Calgary albertaJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: no set schedule
Great company to work for. If you're not full time the hours seem to be all over the place which I don"t like. Iv learned a lot about the medical field and what different kinds of jobs there are in it.
It feels like your working at your own home.
Aide 1- Housekeeping (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 11, 2013
The staff from top management are very nice. I've been working there for 5 years and don't have any plans to quit or leave.
On the go all day!
Food Service 1 (Current Employee), Tofield, ABJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: i get to meet more people and learn more things i never knew about the job.
Cons: lots to learn & remember all at once, but i`m willing!!
Busy all the time. I`m learning something new every day as there are so many different aspects of the job! Lots to remember. So far I have been learning the ware washing. And surprisingly enjoying it overall. My co-workers to date are a good group of people and are very willing to tell me or to show me what to do!! Very helpful! For me the hardest part – more... of this job is taking out & bringing in the BIG garbage bin. But to this point, everyone has been willing to assist me! Of course the most enjoyable part of the job is getting out of my house and working with a wide scope of different people personalities – less
Crowded and cramped work environment. Co-worker in general are friendly and amicable.
Secretary (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: health spending account
Cons: difficult to advance
Scheduling appointments, tracking referrals and scheduling on outpatient waitlists. Maintaining and transferring files. Processing referrals, copying reports for distribution. Discharging files, Processing reports from template. Ordering and maintaining supplies and treatment materials. Scheduling of treatment groups.
Secretary & Clerk III (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABDecember 15, 2012
Pros: flexibility
Cons: no security
Great place to work, always helping people, even the difficult patients,always something interesting going on and always busy.
Very Nice Co Workers To Work With
Clerk IV (Former Employee), Glenrose Hospital-Edmonton AlbertaNovember 24, 2012
Pros: nice office to work in/great co -workers
Cons: everything takes too long, especially po's goes thru 3 people, ridiculous! hr department is a nightmare, they always make mistakes on your pay!
Clerk IV Glenrose Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta
Greet Clients, create memos, computer literacy, patient relations
to patients and their families .
Not a good fit for me
Informatics Consultant (Business Analysis) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: too large and highly political so it takes a very long time to get things done.
The project I was assigned to was not managed well and was at a standstill. I had to resign as I was unable to handle being idle for 8 hours a day. I need to be busy to have job satisfaction.
An exciting and diversified place to work
Unit Clerk Acute Care/ED (Current Employee), Rimbey Hospital, Rimbey, AlbertaNovember 15, 2012
Pros: diversity in skills needed for the position
Cons: only a casual position
A typical day begins with giving or receiving report to/from the Unit Clerk. I then check supplies in the unit and Emergency Department. I also answer the phones, do my order entry and interact with patients and families. I've learned a lot about organization and flexability. The hardest part of the job is finding enough hours in the day to complete – more... my tasks. The most enjoyable part of my job is finding the hours to complete my tasks. – less
Overall I enjoy my job on a daily basis.
Environmental Services Housekeeper (Current Employee), Oyen, ABOctober 28, 2012
Pros: good wages
Cons: small hospital with no possibility of full time employment
A typical day at work would be to thoroughly clean all areas of the hospital according to AHS standards. I have learned very usefull information about infectious disease's and how to prevent them. The hardest part of the job is seeing babies in the emergency room and the death of a patient. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to bring joy – more... of some kind to the patients on both the active side and long term care. – less
Enjoyable
Nursing Attendant (Current Employee), Innisfail, ABOctober 9, 2012
It's enjoyable to work with your co workers and having fun with residents. My best work is joke around with the residents and make them happy and smile.
Prductive and fun working place
QA Analyst / Tester (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 9, 2012
Working Closely with the technical Team. Took the opportunity to learn a leader-ship role by training other candidates and making decision are beneficial to the project.

About Alberta Health Services

We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide – Read more

Alberta Health Services Photos