Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Good work environment
Operating Room Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 30, 2015
The AHS is a good place to work. Staff is fun and professional. Management lets us work independently. I wish the AHS did however have a daycare.
Great starting job
Dietary (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, ABJuly 23, 2015
I started working at the hospital while i was still in high school. the student jobs are a great and easy way to earn money. once i was out of high school i got a full time job which was good to start until my boss retired and new management came in. everything started going downhill finally leading to myself quitting.
Pros
Great starting job
Cons
bad managment
Encouraging, Rewarding Place to work with great coworkers!
IT Project Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2013
I work on creating, implementing and guiding several Project Management processes and practices for over 150 AHS IT Projects. The hardest part of this job was communication between different parties and getting their buy-in to follow a single process. There is also a lot of politics within the company and being in the public sector, it gets hit hard with government policies/cycles. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. They are very encouraging and fun to be around. We have many social events organized on a regular basis and a great mentoring program for Interns/Co-op students. Everyone is flexible with timing which allows you to have a great work/life balance, comfortable lunches and privacy.
Project Work
Financial Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Worked on repatriation project to consolidate un-integrated accounting systems to Oracle. Included working with various teams to streamline processes.
I love to work health field, that's my passionate
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, ABDecember 9, 2015
I love my work environment , A nice place to work with nice people .
I am always happy. When I go to work & finish my work. The end of my day.
So much life experience, knowledge and work ethic gained
Clerk III / IV (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
I absolutely loved working in the region, it allowed me to use my personal skills as well as the skills I obtained in school. Very productive and energetic workplace. A typical day of work for me was in the Hospital, getting our small clinic started, opening doors, pulling charts and answering phones, patient questions, calling patients to recovery for blood work testing, sending patients to diagnostic testing, and booking patients for later dates, validating healthcare, Answering emails, scheduling meetings with management for upcoming days. The hardest part of the job was not being able to follow the patients through their appointments, wanting to provide further knowledge and support through their days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily knowledge gained, there were never two days exactly alike, there were always things to learn and things to do.
Pros
Small clinic setting allowed our team to become and stay really close like a family
Cons
Only being there on a casual basis
Productive Office
Clerk 111 - Outpatient Booking (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 5, 2015
Very fast-paced, productive office; the days just raced by! Enjoyable work! Lack of good training in department (so I put together a thorough training manual) and poor management, lacking in management skills.
Pros
variety and much to do
Cons
poor management
Challenging environment with exceptional colleagues
Citrix/AppV Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 26, 2015
My experience has been very good. I have attributed that to some members of the team I work for are excellent in the quality of their work, ability and expertise.
Working as an Industrial Hygienist at AHS.
Occupational Hygiene Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
Excellent place to work. Interesting work. Great people to work with.Good life balance. Benefits and remuneration could be improved to be competitive.
great
LPN, Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  albertaSeptember 8, 2015
great health care, small town staff. quality patient care
management is needed, help is needed. staff not welcoming to new comeres
Intake and Triage Therapist
Intake and Crisis Triage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Lac La Biche, ABJuly 21, 2015
Wonderful work environment with excellent colleagues. Very good clinical supervision. This is a position that requires considerable clinical experience at it requires the therapist to deal with many kinds of clinical problems.
Pros
Good clinic environment
Cons
Poor management
Good salary, good benefits, culture is lacking and so is management
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2013
AHS compensates their employees well, and also provides great benefits. The overall corporate culture I feel is lacking, working environment could be better. I feel management holds a "hiearchy" over employees which at times can distance working relationships.

Overall, I LIKE working for alberta health services, but don't LOVE it.
Pros
compensation, benefits, respectability, career growth
Cons
management, culture, relationships
Valuable organization to get involved with
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJuly 12, 2015
Good learning experience, busy fast paced environment to develop nursing practice. Wide variety of clients and co workers with varied job experience. Great benefits, union and pension plan.
Pros
experience
Cons
shift work
very fast pace working environment
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 25, 2015
My previous position as an Administrative Assistant IV within the Strategic Policy & Planning Development Division in the Policy Coordination Unit, my duties are working within the Action Request Tracking System within a government specific software program with the majority of the tasks being proofreading grammar and formatting, scheduling the director’s calendar and processing invoices. My previous duties position included file management, and collating documents, putting together packages gathered from the field and within government stakeholders, and sharing information to support and encourage safety in the workplace
dietary
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Claresholm, ABNovember 9, 2015
I enjoy working with all the staff and clients. The auxiliary is a nice place to work. Sometimes it would be nice to have more staffing.
AHS
Clerical Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 3, 2015
Huge responsibilities on a daily basis, 150 professionals coming and going. Hardest part of the job was adapting to the continuous changes daily and that was also the most enjoyable part of the job.
Nice Job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie ABJuly 14, 2015
Awesome Job. Will grow your Maturity, Respect and especially when you see your job well done. Good management and team.
Pros
Supervisor are considerate
Cons
excellent service
Jobs are not challenging enough
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaAugust 4, 2014
At at typical day at work I feel I am not challenged enough. Having so much job security allows other people to not strive to do the best that they can do in their everyday tasks. I like that I have job security for people like myself who work hard at what I do, and I also like having full benefits. Trying to grow within a department can be difficult.
Pros
working great hours.
Cons
co-workers have no ambition.
excellent place to work
Surgical Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
I really liked working here. Staff are really nice. It gets very very busy but all we can do is the best we can to our ability.
Pros
Excellent staff
Cons
short on staff ;(
Volunteering
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 3, 2015
Fun volunteering job
Help coordinator with what ever she needs help with
funnest part is gym activities
hardest part is having nothing to do and being bored
I just started volunteering so havent learned much yet
Pros
Genereal experience
Cons
Lots of standing around time