Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Large health authoritiy
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
Heath authority covering all of Alberta. Many opportunities within, great benefits and pay. I had the opportunity to get specialized in Labour and Delivery during my employment with FHS
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2016
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Cons
overcapacity
Encouraging, Rewarding Place to work with great coworkers!
IT Project Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2013
I work on creating, implementing and guiding several Project Management processes and practices for over 150 AHS IT Projects. The hardest part of this job was communication between different parties and getting their buy-in to follow a single process. There is also a lot of politics within the company and being in the public sector, it gets hit hard with government policies/cycles. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. They are very encouraging and fun to be around. We have many social events organized on a regular basis and a great mentoring program for Interns/Co-op students. Everyone is flexible with timing which allows you to have a great work/life balance, comfortable lunches and privacy.
Rather not review
IT Lead (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 January 2016
I would rather not review Alberta Health Services, One thing I can say is that the people I have worked with in the past are very passionate about healthcare and take improving the healthcare in Alberta very seriously.
benefits
Cons
limited career advancement
A somewhat acceptable experience
IT Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2015
Organization was under a hiring freeze, no promotions, no salary increases for quite some time. While I had a very pleasant with my peers, management was absentee, unavailable, unresponsive, making it difficult to move forward with projects requiring approvals.
Pros
Trainer was very good
Cons
Each depart must do their own hiring
Trying to get hired there (Former Employee) –  n/a3 July 2016
That's right NO CENTRAL HR. Due to shortage of staff department managers must do their own advertising and hiring. So get this the employees are encourage to find new people to hire (of course this would mostly apply to work in other departments) but when they recommend someone, those individuals are not put into a 'recommended by employee' pool.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2015
Fun and supportive colleagues. Fast paced, challenging and very exciting. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work and interact with so many people; always meeting new patients, family members and staff. Everyday I learned something new. Management is always helpful and supportive.
Pros
great benefits and wages
Great job for those that work well in teams
Laundry Worker, Red Deer Regional Hosptial (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 April 2016
This job is great for teamwork building because it requires 9 women to work in groups of three to each station in order to fulfill the tasks assigned. It's great because you can make friends and work well this way without having to worry about dealing with customers. There's simply a quota that needs to be met and that's it. This job also really teaches one to be efficient because there is always something to be done.
The hardest thing about this job is that it can get tedious and monotonous at times and can be difficult to get through the work day because of this. Also it's very labour intensive and requires you to do moderate to heavy lifting on a regular basis. But, if you have the radio playing and have a buddy to chat with while you work, it's much much better.
The best thing about this job is that you don't have to deal with customers. You see the same people every day and you all get along pretty well enough that the work day isn't grueling. Also the best thing is that you can just mind your own business or zone out and just set yourself to one task every few hours and get things done.
Pros
No customers, job security, teamwork, minimal supervision
Cons
tedious and monotonous work, loud work environment (need hearing protection), labour intensive
Nice place to work. Too much favoritism
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 August 2016
Miss the old manger. Where shifts where given to everyone not just a certain few.
Few years ago the hospital looked cleaner and seemed happier back then.
Pros
Meeting patients
Cons
When everyone isn't doing their jobs things happen
Good salary, good benefits, culture is lacking and so is management
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta9 May 2013
AHS compensates their employees well, and also provides great benefits. The overall corporate culture I feel is lacking, working environment could be better. I feel management holds a "hiearchy" over employees which at times can distance working relationships.

Overall, I LIKE working for alberta health services, but don't LOVE it.
Pros
compensation, benefits, respectability, career growth
Cons
management, culture, relationships
Highly knowledgable place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Smoky Lake, AB8 July 2016
Starting off as a casual worker i found it difficult to progress. Having had learned different skills and practice them i am thankful for my experience from this company.
Pros
Very Informative
Cons
Shift work, can be a difficult atmosphere
Experience varies widely by team
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2016
Some teams are great, some are less than great - depends entirely on management of the team and the leadership stream above them.
Pros
respectful of employee rights
good job.
Laundry worker, soiled linen (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 May 2016
the job is great, management is poor, and the work load is to much for the staff they have.they need to pat attention to the little people.
A great place to work.
Administrative Assistant, Capital Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2016
Working with AHS was enjoyable. A lot of training was provided which was applicable to my position, as well as other positions in the department.
Boring call centre job
Clerk IV for Alberta Health Link (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 January 2016
Management was ridiculous, she had no idea what she was doing. I felt chained to the desk with no freedom. I did not enjoy this job at all the only plus was the pay and benefits and pension.
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta10 March 2016
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
Pros
Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons
Under-resourced at the leadership level
Provided administrative support to the Director’s office • Prepared detailed reports and presentations for management meetings
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Enjoyed the duties at work with many good employees around and very co-operative. Meet/Greet different people as they would come meet the director in regards to various updates in procurement on going basis.
good employer
Housekeeping ( Casual) (Current Employee) –  Claresholm, AB11 April 2016
good work environment, very good pay and people are nice to work with because we all observe the values and the culture in the hospital .
hardworking and life-long learning
Health Care Aides, Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB31 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy.
I have learned so much more.
It is well organized organization.
Most co-workers are positive.
Coping the stresses from negative co-workers is the hardest part of work.
Supportive environment is the most enjoyable part in the job
Pros
Good bebefits
Cons
less positions
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Morinville, AB17 November 2015
Shifts begin either at 0700 or at 1400, and the work is enjoyable. Both the tasks and the locations vary, which is pleasant for me because I am very flexible. Some days I am in the lodge administering medications and assisting clients with baths, and other days I am driving around the county to assist clients in the community, whether it be for bath assists or wound care. The hardest part of this job would have to be saying goodbye to my clients. In this line of work, you become almost like family, and when someone passes away, it can be difficult. The clients are the best part of my job. I love meeting new clients, visiting current clients, and getting to know their stories. I have always had home care in my home growing up as my mother was disabled. Being a part of a home care team comes second nature, and I very much love my job, which shows!
Pros
excellent pay, benefits
Cons
being casual, when there aren't any hours to work, can be discouraging