Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
interesting, loved working with the elderly.
COOK/FOOD SERVICES AIDE (Former Employee), Brooks, AlbertaAugust 21, 2013
I met a lot of great people, learned a lot about hospital and longterm care. The hardest part for me was when one of our residents passed away after getting to know them.
talking to patients and walking them round
NURSING ATTENDANT (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Pros: talking with patient (charting)
What i enjoy most about my job is working as a team with my coworker, i also like charting with my patient, while doing this, i discovered that some of them have lots of worries and troubled mind and need to talk to someone at that particular time, they share their life experiences, i tell them about my culture and they feel a lot of relief, sometimes – more... they want to go on a walk, but being new to the environment, they don't know if its right to do so or not, they need company, consolation and someone to tell them they will get better and not worry about the sickness as such., so its like making their day and giving them assurance some cares for them. i love to work as team. the hardest part of the job is when patients family don't appreciate your job and makes you feel you are not giving enough of your profession. – less
Great intro to health and safety
Provincial Safety Advisor (Current Employee), Province of AlbertaAugust 19, 2013
Pros: 9-5, home every night (for the most part)
Cons: minimal upward mobility, limited wage potential
A typical work day for my role involves a combination of paper work, data entry, phone calls and liaisons with various hospital officials from various departments.

One of the things I love about my work is no two days are ever the same. One day may involve the routines I have described, another day may find me working in the field from construction – more... sites to doing hazard assessments or incident investigations. – less
Extremely busy environment.
Assistant to V.P. & Facility Medical Director (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 16, 2013
Enjoyed my job which was varied with different tasks. Multi-tasked all the time with changing priorities. Worked as a team and the co-workers were helpful.
Enjoyable Place To Work
Clerk III- Equipment Planning for SHC (Current Employee), Calgary, AbAugust 12, 2013
Pros: great staff, benefits, and work load
Cons: hard to get permanant postions
Currently in a temporary position. Enjoy the enviroment and the fast pace work loads. Enjoy the members of the team I work with and how the days go by fast with a busy work load.
It was a great place to work
Health Research Interviewer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 8, 2013
Pros: excellent supervisor and staff. i was doing what i enjoyed
Cons: no benefits and wondering when my hours would be cut or no job at all.
I enjoyed going to work and talking to interviewees over the phone and doing surveys with them.
AHS is an extremely unorganized company
Executive Secretary to the SVP and General Counsel (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 29, 2013
Pros: i will miss a few good people
Cons: long hours most of the time, mostly for no reason as they would change their minds from day to day as to what they wanted.
I would never work for them again unless the Executive completely changed. They have no idea what they are doing!
amazing team
Registered Nurse-Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 20, 2013
Pros: amazing team, learning opportunities, great support
Cons: shift work
I have greatly enjoyed working on a team of amazing people and management. I have learned a lot and attained and advanced many skills. The hardest part of the job is working under stress and when short-staffed. The most enjoyable part is working with a fantastic team of wonderful people and seeing the results of amazing team work.
good people and culture, interesting work
Unit Clerk, PLC Emergency (Former Employee), calgary,abJune 2, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: 24 hour operation
Loved working for AHS in Calgary. Was easy to get on casual but can take time to get a permanent line.
Hard worker , fast learner and teamplayer
Clerical and reception duties for the nursing unit (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaMay 31, 2013
Pros: great people, new experiences, raises
Cons: long hours, high stress all the time
a typical day at work was busy with phones scheduling surgery. Dealing with 4 nurses and sometimes 8 drs. faxing and filing and updated data on the computer. I learned how to organize a clinic that was in great distress. Management was good for the most part and rewarding to learn from them. My coworkers were great i miss them actually there were fun – more... helpful and mademe feel apart of their team.
The hardest part was trying to deal with angry hurt scared patients all the time.
The most enjoyable part was just being a part of a team and the people i got to wok with – less
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 28, 2013
Great place to work and great people to work with. Way to take on new challenges and do the best that you can.
GOOD
SERVICE WORKER (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 22, 2013
IT IS GOOD EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH MY LAST COMPANY,BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE CLOSING IT DOWN.I ENJOYED WORKING THERE.
AHS is a good place for job security
HR (Current Employee), calgary, abMay 21, 2013
Great job security for all. Diverse workforce. interesting culture.
Excellent to work for.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee), High Level, ABMay 19, 2013
Pros: constant learning
Cons: no cons
I learned so much from the people I worked with. The nurses were amazing and taught me so much. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the residents smile. My co-workers were excellent, kind and caring.
Good salary, good benefits, culture is lacking and so is management
Human Resources (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 9, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits, respectability, career growth
Cons: management, culture, relationships
AHS compensates their employees well, and also provides great benefits. The overall corporate culture I feel is lacking, working environment could be better. I feel management holds a "hiearchy" over employees which at times can distance working relationships.

Overall, I LIKE working for alberta health services, but don't LOVE it.
Fine staff, poor politics
Staff RN (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2013
Too much government involvement in an overlarge burocratic beast, not enough provider input.
Top heavy and political IT department
Informatics Consultant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: great co-workers - excellent pay/benefits
Cons: too many managers - toxic work environment
Pros: Excellent pay and life balance. Non-management coworkers were fantastic to work with. There are some real amazing people working here.

Cons: You earn your wages by surviving the toxic work environment. Prepare yourself to endure perpetual sterile team building exercises and management circle jerks. Disorganized, lacks direction, laden with cronyism – more... and the subsequent incompetent mid-level managers. Had a few managers that had no clue what an active directory was... not a good sign in an IT department.

This could be a fantastic place to work - but only after they remove half of the management. – less
Lots of opportunities to move within your scope of practice.
Rockyview General Hospital Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2013
Pros: good benifits
Cons: shift work
There are tones of opportunities within AHS. The only downside is that there are so many employees that it's hard to move up the ladder
Solid Team Work. Good Communication. Opportunities for learning
Psychiatric Aide (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 10, 2013
Pros: always look forward to going to work. very satisfying
Cons: 4 hour travelling time per day
Currently working night shift.
do rounds at least very 30 minutes. Help with admitting protocol of new patients. Keep unit and Nursing Station tidy. Advise Nurse in Charge of any change in patients status. Collect urine samples as ordered. Sit constant if ordered. Ensure safety of patients and staff. Report any workplace or patient dangers.

The hardest – more... part of the job is travelling 4 hours a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is giving a patient a reason to smile and seeing them get well. – less
Very fun place to work - rewarding!
Telecommunications Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2013
Great place to work - I worked with an awesome team. Constantly changing and challenging.

About Alberta Health Services

We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide – Read more

Alberta Health Services Photos