Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

good place to work
Kitchen crew (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, ABNovember 20, 2015
Great people good job. management was good.
Learned a lot about the hospital, favorite part was visiting the units with the elderly
Easy and Fun to work
Food Service 1 (Current Employee) –  Red deer Hospital NFS departmentMarch 8, 2016
This is nice company to work in but few hours because of many employees. The staff are very friendly and very dependable. I work as a food preparer on hot line and Cold line. After the serving of food we wait for the dishes to come down and wash it all. My work only starts at 4:15pm and ends at 7:15pm (3 hours).
Unionized
SYSTEMS ANALYST 3 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 17, 2016
If you work in Information Systems, you will definitely have to be a member of AUPE since AHS turned into a Provincial Employer in 2008 that means that the opportunities are very slim to get in the door and seniority is more important than productivity and performance.
I worked very hard to accomplish much.
RN (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, ABSeptember 29, 2015
It was a good place to work and lots of job opportunities.
I found there were too much politics.
There were a lots conformity and some co-dependence.
AHS is efficient but work place has a lot of politics.
coordinator (Current Employee) –  calgaryOctober 8, 2015
AHS is very good for public. But as an employee there are a lot of unwanted politics and gossips. I have come across a tonne of racist colleagues and I cannot take it anymore.So I decided to change jobs for peace of life.
very professional work place
LPN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
very organized work area, co-workers work really hard to get things and daily tasks done. most enjoyable part of the job was seen client in their own environment there personal homes and assisting them.
Advancement
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Determined eligibility and registered Albertans Healthcare
Consistently met supervisors' deadlines, goals and measures for productivity and quality
Established eligibility for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan and made adjustments to records.
Experience varies widely by team
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2016
Some teams are great, some are less than great - depends entirely on management of the team and the leadership stream above them.
Pros
respectful of employee rights
EMT student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 15, 2015
All the coworkers are friendly and helpful. People just get each other's back at all time. The salary is reasonable. I learned a lot from other personnel how to do my job better.
It is all about the team
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 4, 2015
Everyone on the team had a passion for healthcare. We worked well and got the jobs done. The management and structure were great and I would recommend to anyone looking for employment.
I have over 25 yrs experience and still enjoy my job.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB U of ANovember 26, 2015
• Flexible, organized, and detail orientated
• Mature and professional with high regard for confidentiality
• Tactful and resourceful when dealing with difficult situations
• Effectively handles work in a fast paced environment
• Can work independently and function well in a team environment

I enjoy working as a health care aide for alberta health services.
good job.
Laundry worker, soiled linen (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 17, 2016
the job is great, management is poor, and the work load is to much for the staff they have.they need to pat attention to the little people.
good employer
Housekeeping ( Casual) (Current Employee) –  Claresholm, ABApril 11, 2016
good work environment, very good pay and people are nice to work with because we all observe the values and the culture in the hospital .
While Frontline staff are awesome and take great pride in their work, AHS is a hierarchical and generally dysfunctional organization
RN (Former Employee) –  Chinook Health RegionOctober 13, 2013
Management and Human Resources say they are about recruitment and retention when in fact they are the cause of attrition. I worked for AHS for 10 years, in several different environments, many were filled with harassment and bullying but little is done even though both AHS, and UNA have policies to deal with it. Managers are not trained in leadership and are often behind the dysfunction. The best manager with the happiest workplace I have worked in was let go because manager butted heads with middle management. They find something that will stick and then run with it, and are not afraid to ruin your reputation and your career.
I miss the people that I worked with and the patients but I do not miss the politics and the manipulation.
Pros
compensation, benefits, coworkers
Cons
lack of leadership, lack of integrity, lack of care towards staff.
Hard worker , fast learner and teamplayer
Clerical and reception duties for the nursing unit (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaMay 31, 2013
a typical day at work was busy with phones scheduling surgery. Dealing with 4 nurses and sometimes 8 drs. faxing and filing and updated data on the computer. I learned how to organize a clinic that was in great distress. Management was good for the most part and rewarding to learn from them. My coworkers were great i miss them actually there were fun helpful and mademe feel apart of their team.
The hardest part was trying to deal with angry hurt scared patients all the time.
The most enjoyable part was just being a part of a team and the people i got to wok with
Pros
great people, new experiences, raises
Cons
long hours, high stress all the time
Excellent team to work for
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The team was very small and they all worked together. There was good collaboration between the team. I will surely miss them when I leave on April 30th 2016.
EHO
Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABMarch 26, 2015
Great Job, got to meet a number of unique individuals.
Salary is fantastic 9-5 job with weekends off.

Culture in EH needs vast improvement
Pros
Great wage and benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Helping the sick and injiured
EMT in a HCA position (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
Whether it's working on ambulance or working in the hospital, I do enjoy my line of work. On the ambulance I respond to all different types of 911 calls, and if the emergency calls for it, we transport to hospital.
In the hospital I an in a nurse aide position so I provide all the patient care, from toileting to helping them in and out of bed for meals. Sitting with them and having a conversation to sending them on their way home!
Its good work experience
pharmacy assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 23, 2015
Its a very busy work place, lots to learn and share, Always room for improvement and growth. Its a patient care environment, patients and their safety always come first for us at Alberta Health services.
Analyst
analyst (Current Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 12, 2016
love my work environment , A nice place to work with nice people .
I am always happy. When I go to work & finish my work. The end of my day.