Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Great Place
Home Care LPN (Current Employee) –  Fort Vermilion, AB5 May 2017
I really enjoy working for AHS. There are many resources available to employees and the internal job posting are easily accessed. I have worked in 4 different AHS sites, and have absolutely enjoyed 2 sites.
Patient Care (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
Lots of helpful, caring staff. People overall provide support to each other. Management is government, so difficult at time, but overall positive. I would highly recommend working for AHS as their benefit are good, and the staff in general are quite helpful.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Long hours, bureaucracy at times
AHC is so large it has become a "business" not a care center
Seniors Home Care, Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
I felt A.H.C. in past to be quite scattered and impersonal. Change is hard for all involved, but things never seemed to settle after a change. Generally, I felt insecure and unable to use my skills in my job because someone else my complain about how did something different. Units have groups that work together as a team, which can be positive if the team is compatible. In a large hospital there is always a large amount of "gossip" which I dislike.
However, there is a chance for learning and advancing through inservice education. I mostly learned from "rounds" which only charge nurses are to go on. I want active education daily about my patients from a Doctors perspective and to be able to ask questions
and get answers from the people who have the knowledge, not from the procedure book only.
Pros
great pay and good union
Cons
impersonal, frustrating, and restricting in large hospitals
Day at Work
IT Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2017
Day at work involves communicating with stakeholders about changes that may occur in the services, continuous process improvements, and service requests. As well as continues building of relationship and trust.
Great work environment
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary24 April 2017
Great work environment for the most part. I had awesome managers and great colleagues 80% of the time. If you don't get involved in job politics, you are good to go....
Pros
balanced
Cons
politics and groupism
Good Company
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairview, AB22 April 2017
typical 8 hrs a day, no shift work. Sometimes job is so pressing due to different staff issues that needs to be resolve right away. Oncall rotation. Overtime not really an option, very seldom you get OT.
Pros
Company is secure that means job security
Cons
On Call
Overall excellent team work
Community Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Innisfail, AB15 April 2017
Overall good conditions. Typical day varies according to acuity in the community. Workplace culture is very dependent on sharing and cooperation.
Hardest part of the job is unstaffing. The most enjoyable is the contact with client's and their families. Focus can really be on client centred care.
Pros
Automomy
Cons
Budget restraints
Simple, fair job
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2017
It was a simple job, easy enough to understand. Was a healthy work environment, and the pay was good. Though, it was hard to move up and onto other jobs.
Busy outpatient department
Orthotech/LPN, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2017
Working for AHS has it's pros and cons. It's a large organization with many benefits, but the individual employee is just that...a number in the largest employer in the province.
Very good benefits and competitive remuneration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2017
Learned so many new software as Executive Assistant to Senior/Executive level management. The job is satisfactory but not something that would open doors to a lot of opportunities.
Pros
good salary
Cons
hours are not ideal for people with kids
More than one department of cleaning
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort Vermilion, AB6 April 2017
I sanitized and disinfected acute care, long term care and palliative care suites and emergency departments as well as work stations in hospital/community health.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
Short lunches
My job and bosses intensions are in the best intentions.
Food and Nutrition (Current Employee) –  Spirit River, AB4 April 2017
The health care system and how the morals to our patients are not kept in check. Patients are getting miss treated and neglected and our staff is over worked and grow to not care.

Big big problem. Communities need to come together and work with our government.
A great and well recognized organization
Unit Clerk at Peter Lougheed Hopsital (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2017
I work at Peter Lougheed Hospital in Mental Health and its a
great work environment with nursing staff and Doctors.
Everyday is full of different job challenges, you really have to be able to multi task.

Hard to find a stable position/line currently though with the economy.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
I really enjoyed working there and would go back in a heart beat. The ability to work remotely was great, the manager was great, and the pay was great. The flexibility was a real change of pace which allowed me to contribute a lot more.
Pros
Flexibility
Great atmosphere
Housekeeper Casual (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB23 March 2017
Typical work day is getting prepared to start organizing our cart and making sure everything that is touchable is disinfected. I learned to work as a team player and help out as much as I can.

The work place culture is working in a stable environment with great staff. Hardest part about the job is using the floor machine. Most times it will not work so we mop the floors with the broom on the rough cement floor.

Most enjoyable about the job would have to be working with partners sometimes you get the job done faster and easier.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
nothing.
Great experience
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2017
Typical day at work, answer phones, make up charts for patients, hardest part of the job was losing patients when the battle they were fighting had won.
Great Place to work!
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2017
Very interesting job. Co workers are task oriented and management are helpful as well. Everyday is learning as you meet people from all walks of life. Amazing!
Poor management
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2017
Unsupportive management and physicians. Overbooked clinic and OR. Educator only support person. Hostile and toxic work environment. At times very unsafe and unsupported in the procedure room. As well as in the clinic
Pros
Potential to be a great place with the proper support and management
Cons
Overbooked and hostile coworkers
Great pay, adequate holiday and sick time, management mostly supportive
Forensic Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
Good paying jobs, shift work can be stressful and mess with your sleep habits, good holiday/sick/benefits. Atmosphere mostly positive. Patients are the best part of the job.
It is an excellent place to work.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB8 March 2017
Very busy place. You need to be flexible, Always need to be professional, polite and curious. Compassionate and kind. One day is never the same as the next it is always different you never know what to except from patients and staff. In my position we work with minimal supervision, one needs to know how to prioritize in order to get the job done. Management gets back to us in a timely fashion as their office is at another location therefore we use e-mail often to communicate. The most difficult about the job is that patients have to wait and sometimes the wait time is very long and they become impatient. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am able to serve the public, I love being able to help individuals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval