Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Nice place to work. Too much favoritism
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 August 2016
Miss the old manger. Where shifts where given to everyone not just a certain few.
Few years ago the hospital looked cleaner and seemed happier back then.
Pros
Meeting patients
Cons
When everyone isn't doing their jobs things happen
Valued responsibities
Cardiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2016
Productive and service oriented workplace with sense of responsibilities. Love to be of service to others and performing tests as basis of treatment modalities.
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta10 March 2016
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
Pros
Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons
Under-resourced at the leadership level
A somewhat acceptable experience
IT Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2015
Organization was under a hiring freeze, no promotions, no salary increases for quite some time. While I had a very pleasant with my peers, management was absentee, unavailable, unresponsive, making it difficult to move forward with projects requiring approvals.
Pros
Trainer was very good
good employer
Housekeeping ( Casual) (Current Employee) –  Claresholm, AB11 April 2016
good work environment, very good pay and people are nice to work with because we all observe the values and the culture in the hospital .
A great place to work.
Administrative Assistant, Capital Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2016
Working with AHS was enjoyable. A lot of training was provided which was applicable to my position, as well as other positions in the department.
Hard worker , fast learner and teamplayer
Clerical and reception duties for the nursing unit (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta31 May 2013
a typical day at work was busy with phones scheduling surgery. Dealing with 4 nurses and sometimes 8 drs. faxing and filing and updated data on the computer. I learned how to organize a clinic that was in great distress. Management was good for the most part and rewarding to learn from them. My coworkers were great i miss them actually there were fun helpful and mademe feel apart of their team.
The hardest part was trying to deal with angry hurt scared patients all the time.
The most enjoyable part was just being a part of a team and the people i got to wok with
Pros
Great people, new experiences, raises
Cons
long hours, HIGH stress all the time
While Frontline staff are awesome and take great pride in their work, AHS is a hierarchical and generally dysfunctional organization
RN (Former Employee) –  Chinook Health Region13 October 2013
Management and Human Resources say they are about recruitment and retention when in fact they are the cause of attrition. I worked for AHS for 10 years, in several different environments, many were filled with harassment and bullying but little is done even though both AHS, and UNA have policies to deal with it. Managers are not trained in leadership and are often behind the dysfunction. The best manager with the happiest workplace I have worked in was let go because manager butted heads with middle management. They find something that will stick and then run with it, and are not afraid to ruin your reputation and your career.
I miss the people that I worked with and the patients but I do not miss the politics and the manipulation.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, coworkers
Cons
Lack of leadership, lack of integrity, lack of care towards staff.
hardworking and life-long learning
Health Care Aides, Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB31 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy.
I have learned so much more.
It is well organized organization.
Most co-workers are positive.
Coping the stresses from negative co-workers is the hardest part of work.
Supportive environment is the most enjoyable part in the job
Pros
Good bebefits
Cons
less positions
Provided administrative support to the Director’s office • Prepared detailed reports and presentations for management meetings
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Enjoyed the duties at work with many good employees around and very co-operative. Meet/Greet different people as they would come meet the director in regards to various updates in procurement on going basis.
Managment is horrible and hateful.
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 March 2016
DO NOT stand up for yourself, because the management of HIM will bully you, haul you into countless meetings, & play head games. The worst management I have ever worked for, they have no training as managers, nor do they have natural skills to manage. Good luck!!
Pros
Managment
Cons
Coworkers
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Morinville, AB17 November 2015
Shifts begin either at 0700 or at 1400, and the work is enjoyable. Both the tasks and the locations vary, which is pleasant for me because I am very flexible. Some days I am in the lodge administering medications and assisting clients with baths, and other days I am driving around the county to assist clients in the community, whether it be for bath assists or wound care. The hardest part of this job would have to be saying goodbye to my clients. In this line of work, you become almost like family, and when someone passes away, it can be difficult. The clients are the best part of my job. I love meeting new clients, visiting current clients, and getting to know their stories. I have always had home care in my home growing up as my mother was disabled. Being a part of a home care team comes second nature, and I very much love my job, which shows!
Pros
excellent pay, benefits
Cons
being casual, when there aren't any hours to work, can be discouraging
Good
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Remand Centre2 July 2016
I work full-time as a Unit Clerk, I work 7.75 hours a day. My schedule works on a 12 week rotation, and I work three different areas. I enjoy working with my co-workers and have fun well I work.
It is very hard to find a work life balance
Rural Public Health Inspector (Current Employee) –  Olds, Alberta11 December 2015
As a Public Heath Inspector, it is very difficult to find a work life balance, however the management is typically very good.
Encouraging, Rewarding Place to work with great coworkers!
IT Project Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2013
I work on creating, implementing and guiding several Project Management processes and practices for over 150 AHS IT Projects. The hardest part of this job was communication between different parties and getting their buy-in to follow a single process. There is also a lot of politics within the company and being in the public sector, it gets hit hard with government policies/cycles. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. They are very encouraging and fun to be around. We have many social events organized on a regular basis and a great mentoring program for Interns/Co-op students. Everyone is flexible with timing which allows you to have a great work/life balance, comfortable lunches and privacy.
Organized, cooperative, hard worker, friendly
Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Foothills Hospital29 March 2016
A typical day at work is non stop, very busy workload and non stop communication both verbal and written. Constant communication with patients, doctors by phone, computer and several computer programs. I have learned how to prioritize my workload and be more flexible to handle unexpected changes to best suit patients and certain circumstances. Workload was the hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part of the job was the patient satisfaction.
Pros
patient feedback
Cons
workload
Alberta Health Services
Executive Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2016
I was with Alberta Health Services since 1998. The sense of job security is no longer there as Healthcare seems to be very volatile when the economy has a down turn.
Always Changing
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2016
Despite all the changes it is still a decent place to work. Management does their best to keep up with all the changes.
Co-workers are usually great to work with. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the changes and adjusting to them.
A great place to work with.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valleyview, AB25 February 2016
Working with AHS helped me grow as a employee. Everyday, you get to learn new things.It's a fulfillment for me to work in the hospital, providing care to patients and being there for them in good or bad times.
Benefits
It is very tough working for a union
Support Services (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB22 October 2015
The women I worked with were fun, upbeat, and enjoyed each others company. The job was very repetitive & had the continuous routine from one day to the next. We worked under our own supervision and could expect to see management on a
bi or tri -monthly basis. We made our job enjoyable and worked as a tight group to always get the work done & help each other out.
Working in a hospital is what you make of it. You can chose to go with the negative aspect or know that it is a job and choose to enjoy yourself. There were many morale issues that were never dealt with properly, and often you would notice adults treating each other like bullies with management standing by with their hands tied by the union.
I truly believe under the proper management without a union, most of these situations could of been dealt with promptly & properly.
Pros
Superviseing ourselves and a great 6am - 2pm shift
Cons
Union Job