Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Parking is costly at some locations
Managment is horrible and hateful.
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 13, 2016
DO NOT stand up for yourself, because the management of HIM will bully you, haul you into countless meetings, & play head games. The worst management I have ever worked for, they have no training as managers, nor do they have natural skills to manage. Good luck!!
Pros
Managment
Cons
Coworkers
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 10, 2016
In my 10 years at AHS, I had many opportunities to advance and acquire new skill sets that were beyond my formal education as a Physical Therapist. I had the opportunity to lead large, diverse teams and was given the chance to learn on the fly. AHS also offers many professional development courses and encourages emerging leaders to take advantage of these.

As a downside, the teams that I (and fellow manager/team leads) were leading were unmanageably large. This creates stress for leaders and employees alike and makes effecting real change very difficult.
Pros
Leadership development, promoting from within
Cons
Under-resourced at the leadership level
Alberta Health Services
Executive Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
I was with Alberta Health Services since 1998. The sense of job security is no longer there as Healthcare seems to be very volatile when the economy has a down turn.
Easy and Fun to work
Food Service 1 (Current Employee) –  Red deer Hospital NFS departmentMarch 8, 2016
This is nice company to work in but few hours because of many employees. The staff are very friendly and very dependable. I work as a food preparer on hot line and Cold line. After the serving of food we wait for the dishes to come down and wash it all. My work only starts at 4:15pm and ends at 7:15pm (3 hours).
a safe workplace environment for seniors health care and promotes their well-being
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2016
understanding seniors care and safety, team work, time management, new learning ideas, reporting to managers and supervisors issues and concerns regarding changes in patients care plan, planning, organizing, coping up with stress with co-workers, residents behaviors, family concerns. satisfaction and stress free feelings is the most enjoyable part of the job, attending in-services and further education and learning.
Pros
company offers free meals to staff on special occassions and recognizing their length of service
Cons
reporting to regular working hours as scheduled, workload issues due to shortage of staff
A great place to work with.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valleyview, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Working with AHS helped me grow as a employee. Everyday, you get to learn new things.It's a fulfillment for me to work in the hospital, providing care to patients and being there for them in good or bad times.
Benefits
Excellent team to work for
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 10, 2016
The team was very small and they all worked together. There was good collaboration between the team. I will surely miss them when I leave on April 30th 2016.
Advancement
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 9, 2016
Determined eligibility and registered Albertans Healthcare
Consistently met supervisors' deadlines, goals and measures for productivity and quality
Established eligibility for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan and made adjustments to records.
Great team work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2016
I work 12 hour day/night rotations on a very fast paced enviroment. The unit i work on requires us to have up to 6 patients on days and 7-8 on nights. Working with my colleagues (management, coworkers, allied health, and Educator) have been one of the biggest reasons why I have not moved on to a different work place. We work in a cohesive way which allows us to support one another.

Over the years I have learned various things. Nursing skills varying from Telemetry, Chest Tubes, Wound care, and NG care. I also had the opportunity to be charge quite often on the unit that allowed me to learn community resources and outpatient supports.
Cons
overcapacity
Productive workplace
Senior QA Analyst/ Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
Work environment is good. Lots of new stuff to learn.
Co-workers are wonderful. Always ready to help. Management is good.
Always Changing
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Despite all the changes it is still a decent place to work. Management does their best to keep up with all the changes.
Co-workers are usually great to work with. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the changes and adjusting to them.
Hign Paced Environment
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Overall Alberta Health Services is great place to work. Higher up levels you see a lot of the politics which is interesting.
Positive, encouraging environment to work in which has provided me with personal and professional growth throughout the years.
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee) –  PLC, ACH, SHC, SAFPCJanuary 20, 2016
Assist families during crisis, work hand in hand with Mental Health Staff, respond to any disturbances/suspicious activity, ensure patients under treatment are being safe and not causing harm to self or others, work hand in hand with CPS,EMS,Fire and STARS.
Cons
Shift work, switch between days and nights.
Rather not review
IT Lead (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 13, 2016
I would rather not review Alberta Health Services, One thing I can say is that the people I have worked with in the past are very passionate about healthcare and take improving the healthcare in Alberta very seriously.
benefits
Cons
limited career advancement
Analyst
analyst (Current Employee) –  AlbertaJanuary 12, 2016
love my work environment , A nice place to work with nice people .
I am always happy. When I go to work & finish my work. The end of my day.
Boring call centre job
Clerk IV for Alberta Health Link (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Management was ridiculous, she had no idea what she was doing. I felt chained to the desk with no freedom. I did not enjoy this job at all the only plus was the pay and benefits and pension.
Project Work
Financial Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 6, 2016
Worked on repatriation project to consolidate un-integrated accounting systems to Oracle. Included working with various teams to streamline processes.
Patient Care, fast paced
Service Worker I - Distribution Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Enjoy working at Rockyview Hospital, although there is no room for advancement. We deal with very confidential information with patients and are constantly on our feet all day.
Corporate Safety Advisor
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Growing health and safety management system
Supportive management
Collaborative work with co-workers
I learned and increased my facilitation skills in training opportunities.
The hardest part of my job was finding ways to communicate with workers in a geographically diverse organization of 100,000 employees where English was a second language, technology was not consistent and there was involvement of unions and the public image.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Decision making by management was an extensive process