Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Dispatcher/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2016
Great place to work. Managers are great. sadly work life balance as it is a shift work job is not there. Friendly staff and you have the chance to use their online education system
Great advancement job and great staff
Control centre coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2016
Really enjoy my work and feel appreciated the benifits are great and I am able to show my true purpose. I love problem solving and understand all sides of project
Good team work
Provincial Initiatives Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
The working environment is conducive to excellent job performance and achievement of objectives. The team work adds to the improvement of work quality every year and helps us contribute effectively in the delivery of services on time and within allocated resources. Management plays a great role in steering the team and providing opportunities for further skill development and identifying career development opportunities.
Due to the provincial scope of the job sometimes the timelines for Action Requests are too tight but due to our good team work we have always been able to achieve the target.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Limited options to work from home in times of need
Depends on which department you work in.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2016
HR is a joke. The union does not stand up for employees.
Overtime is mandatory and not compensated very often.
Often doctors are a pleasure to work for.
Pros
Not many
Love my job
Data Management, Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
A typical day would entailed, allot of data entry.
One of the things that I've learned is that people learn and pick up new skills in different ways. You must be patient with them.
My managers have been amazing and same with my co-workers.
Hardest part of the job if when info on a child comes across my desk.
I enjoy coming to work.
Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
organized and well managed
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2016
i like working here because they train you well, do follow ups on progress. cross train you. the site is well managed. you get to meet different types of coworkers from all ages. very diverse environment. i do not find it stressful. every workload is in sync and with time table.
Lots of Room for growing.
Unit Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 August 2016
The staff are generally working with the same intentions and are very helpful. The opportunities are endless. The communication is clear and honest and I really appreciate that. My managers are all very easy to speak with and treat people like people not like numbers and that is very rare now a days. The nurses I work with are caring and passionate about their positions. The privacy and confidentiality is held to standard and respected.
Pros
Breaks and Lunches
Cons
Some late shifts.
A great place to work.
Administrative Assistant, Capital Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2016
Working with AHS was enjoyable. A lot of training was provided which was applicable to my position, as well as other positions in the department.
Nice place to work. Too much favoritism
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 August 2016
Miss the old manger. Where shifts where given to everyone not just a certain few.
Few years ago the hospital looked cleaner and seemed happier back then.
Pros
Meeting patients
Cons
When everyone isn't doing their jobs things happen
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
Good job security
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB17 July 2016
Very large company and organization so difficult to feel connected.
Benefits are not the greatest. Good job security.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Just a number
Highly knowledgable place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Smoky Lake, AB8 July 2016
Starting off as a casual worker i found it difficult to progress. Having had learned different skills and practice them i am thankful for my experience from this company.
Pros
Very Informative
Cons
Shift work, can be a difficult atmosphere
Each depart must do their own hiring
Trying to get hired there (Former Employee) –  n/a3 July 2016
That's right NO CENTRAL HR. Due to shortage of staff department managers must do their own advertising and hiring. So get this the employees are encourage to find new people to hire (of course this would mostly apply to work in other departments) but when they recommend someone, those individuals are not put into a 'recommended by employee' pool.
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB2 July 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Good
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Remand Centre2 July 2016
I work full-time as a Unit Clerk, I work 7.75 hours a day. My schedule works on a 12 week rotation, and I work three different areas. I enjoy working with my co-workers and have fun well I work.
Provided administrative support to the Director’s office • Prepared detailed reports and presentations for management meetings
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Enjoyed the duties at work with many good employees around and very co-operative. Meet/Greet different people as they would come meet the director in regards to various updates in procurement on going basis.
Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB23 June 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
Good Place to Work
Training and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2016
My particular position was quite good, it involved a great deal of instruction and working with people. Management provided good support and the co-workers were great.
Pros
paid training
hardworking and life-long learning
Health Care Aides, Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB31 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy.
I have learned so much more.
It is well organized organization.
Most co-workers are positive.
Coping the stresses from negative co-workers is the hardest part of work.
Supportive environment is the most enjoyable part in the job
Pros
Good bebefits
Cons
less positions