Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good start in AHS
Wound Intake Clerk IV (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 28, 2014
This was entry level position and I was able to move up quickly. Great people looking for you to succeed.
basic
Clerk III - Health Records Management (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 27, 2014
repetative tasks
steady work pace
I would rather not discuss this department of Alberta Health Services.
Good to work for
Service Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 5, 2014
Had to leave Alberta to be closer to family, made a lot of friends, to far to travel to see my grand kids.
Team Enviroment
Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Work was 8am-4/4:30pm Monday to Friday. I learned how to input data, as well as use of all their programs. We as co-workers would work as a team when needed to help finish the job on time. I enjoyed working with the staff, management was great!
During 2011-12, I was able to take many courses towards my continuing education.
Regional Supervisor, Data Collection (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 21, 2014
Pros: sense of humour to meet all the challenges
Cons: long hours
Multi-site coordination leading the workforce to stringent Turnaround Times (TATs) in data submissions. Approximately 660,000 visits per year were collected including inpatient, outpatient and some clinic information.
Human resources and administrative challenges with large workforce.
Project management skills for reporting new visits.
Leading audit – more... process to improve quality of data and improve patient care.
Most enjoyable part is talking one-on-one with the coding specialists.
Engaging and promoting continuing education with staff – less
Fun place to work
Title- Financial Analyst (Current Employee), calgaryApril 19, 2014
Would like to fill it in detail, later.....................................................................................................
large organization, government type subject to political elite's control
Senior Vice President Capital Management (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2014
Pros: excellent employee benefit package
spanning across the province, a large organization with dedicated employees. rewarding experience
productive and a ever changing work environment
Program Assistant (Clerk V) (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 5, 2014
Pros: the staff.
Cons: room to grow your skills.
I review AHS as a good place to work. In my present job I have good co-workers who I would enjoy away from work. I have learned to be very flexible.
Job Security and a dynamic work environment .
Administrative Support (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: break and lunch time hours flexiable
Cons: your at you desk all day, would be more enjoyable if you could have a stand-up work station
A typical work day is coming in, greeting your team and getting to work on the tasks that need to be done for the day. The Team Lead will also delegate some tasks that my need to be a priority.
Any requested time off, is usually given with appropriate notice.
You can work independently and in a team environment. There is always the possibility to take – more... courses if you are interested as well.
Co-workers are easy to get along with as well. The hardest part of the job is once you do know your job, the learning comes to a stand still, that can be frustrating. Best part of the job, is being able to get out for a lunch time walk, and be still have your lunch at your desk. – less
EXcellent opportunities for advancement
Casual Staff Nurse, Day Medicine, FMC (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: excellent wage, union representation
Cons: not many interview opportunities despite abundance of open lines
Many jobs in many areas, however, sometimes difficult to even get called for an interview as a lot of internal hiring occurring
More Work Less Pay
Project Administrator (Current Employee), CalgaryFebruary 5, 2014
When you start the work load is decent but that changes quickly. Your workload will be increased significantly and you will never see a pay increase. Once this job becomes AUPE GSS it will get even worse.
It does not seem like work, rather like helping people.
Admitting Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: working with the public
Cons: i don't think there is a downside to my job.
When I worked at South Calgary Health Centre, I was an Admitting Clerk. I was the second person you saw after being at the Triage Desk. I could take your information in 5 different languages, to best suit your comfort level.
At Sheldon Chumir, I take the messages off the phone and then call the clients back one-by-one. I give them special care because – more... they are old, handicapped, or lonely individuals who have probably not spoken to anyone in days. I listen to their concerns and fill out the referral for equipment or supplies, so that they can have a better quality of life.
The hardest part of any job in the medical profession, is seeing these individuals in pain, knowing all you can do is listen to their concerns.
The most enjoyable part of my job, is when they express their sincerest thanks for my soft manner and proficiency.
I learn something every single day; a new illness, a new way to do my job, a new piece of equipment that I hadn't heard of before. It brings me closer to my co-workers and clients, in a way I can't explain. – less
Productive enviroment and great learning opportunity
Contract Analyst - Business Operations, IT (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2014
AHS was great supporting me right out of high school as I was preparing to head overseas to New Zealand to start my studies in Economics. Fun environment. Team was great.
AHS is a good company to work for but it is undergoing significant organizational changes
BUSINESS SERVICES MANAGER (Former Employee), CalgaryJanuary 20, 2014
I enjoyed working for AHS, helping to improve healthcare for all Albertans. To be successful here you need a high tolerance for a change filled environment and a willingness to be flexible and change to meet the demands of the business
Efficient and organized management
Upper GI/Oral-Maxilla, LPN (Current Employee), calgary albertaDecember 24, 2013
Love the company thus far.
I have had no negative accounts thus far. Management is great and I will continue to work for them for as long as I am able to.
rewarding place to work
Manager Linen Services, East Central (Current Employee), Ponoka, ABNovember 18, 2013
Pros: ability to contribute to health system
Enjoy working with Support Service. Linen has been a fast pace learning enviorment.
Secretary II
Secretary II - Executive Director -CDC (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 11, 2013
Pros: excellent wages
Cons: parking
Ever changing, adaptable. Have good understanding of health care practices
Slow
inefficient
Lack of incentive
Stable workplace
Project Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton ABOctober 23, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: bureaucratic
My work varied from day to day providing an outlet for investigations into the projects. I have learned a great deal about financially managing projects, procurement, contracts, change documents and processes. Following processes can become tedious and time consuming especially in attempting to expedite an approval. The most enjoyable part of the day – more... is working with the vendors, teammates and project managers. – less
While Frontline staff are awesome and take great pride in their work, AHS is a hierarchical and generally dysfunctional organization
RN (Former Employee), Chinook Health RegionOctober 13, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits, coworkers
Cons: lack of leadership, lack of integrity, lack of care towards staff.
Management and Human Resources say they are about recruitment and retention when in fact they are the cause of attrition. I worked for AHS for 10 years, in several different environments, many were filled with harassment and bullying but little is done even though both AHS, and UNA have policies to deal with it. Managers are not trained in leadership – more... and are often behind the dysfunction. The best manager with the happiest workplace I have worked in was let go because manager butted heads with middle management. They find something that will stick and then run with it, and are not afraid to ruin your reputation and your career.
I miss the people that I worked with and the patients but I do not miss the politics and the manipulation. – less

About Alberta Health Services

We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide – Read more

Alberta Health Services Photos