Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Working as an Industrial Hygienist at AHS.
Occupational Hygiene Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2015
Excellent place to work. Interesting work. Great people to work with.Good life balance. Benefits and remuneration could be improved to be competitive.
Excellent job
Scheduler/ Clerk V (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2015
I loved this job but I had to leave due to relocating to another province. I learned this job very quickly and advanced within the company very quickly as well. My manager was excellent but my coworkers were very argumentative and made it hard for me to work. I handled it by doing the best job I could.
Total job satisfaction.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee), AlbertaMarch 18, 2015
Satisfactory, it is day to day. Always available, resourceful and beneficially essential. No co-worker, except when on vacation. When there is an emergency outbreak otherwise job satisfaction.
A very fulfilling job with client centered care
Registerd Nurse/ Lactation Consultsnt (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: i am very confident and conscientious in my job
Cons: no breaks incorporated in the shift
I have been with Alberta Health Services for over 14 years in Postpartum in a hospital setting for 2 years and then in Public Health giving vaccinations for 2 years and then specializing in Postpartum Community Health Services ever since. I am also a Lactation Consultant. My typical day involves engaging in new moms and babies the day after they leave the hospital and following them up until the baby is 2 months of age if required. I provide resources, complete Postpartum Depression Screens to moms I feel are at risk. I also have follow up telephone calls based on prior visits to assess progress and arrange further follow up if necessary. I work independently, but am able to consult with NTT or SW if needed. I have learned so much, but I would place emphasis on not judging anyone, learning effective communication skills and I feel and have been told by management many times my assessment skills far exceed expectations in every area. I am able to develop a quick rapport with clients which is essential. My co-workers, for me, are another set of eyes on calculating serum bilirubin samples I have collected to ensure no mistakes are made. The hardest part of my job is that I feel I must complete a full assessment no matter how long it takes, even though management only assigns 1.25 hrs per client. At times, this can be done if the rest can be done over the phone. But if I am at a clients' home, I will not have them commute to the office to be seen for the rest of the assessment to be completed. In being a Lactation Consultant as well, I am well versed in breastfeeding challenges. – more... Therefore, I will address this issue every visit instead of having my client have to see a co-worker who is not a Lactation Consultant if they are having Breastfeeding difficulties, which the majority of woman do experience. So I do put in a lot of overtime, but do not claim as it is my choice to give the best care I can, however long it takes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when my clients smile and voice relief and empowered by what I have taught or said to them. This is where I get my motivation to do better. Management, to my knowledge, does not know for the most part, the excellent client care I provide. – less
great interpersonal communication skills
Casual Clerk III (Current Employee), Lethbridge, AlbertaJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: long hours
-Excellent phone etiquette
-Great communications skills
-Excellent computer skills
-Knowledge of the Meditech
-NetCare training
i enjoyed my time at the hospitial
Nursing attendant (Current Employee), Lac La Biche, ABJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: i was always happy
Cons: cafiteria was always closed without warning
i enjoyed communicating with the residents at the hospitial. it would make my day everyday that i worked their. even if i had a bad day a few residents would make my day. i really loved my job enough to try and become a lpn or a registered nurse.
Professional and enjoyable
Clerk 2 (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 16, 2015
Typical day is entering influenza records (NCR's)

Learned speed and accuracy with typing.

Management and co-workers were good to work with.

I never had a hard part of the day.

Most enjoyable part was getting to work with good people.
Exciting, and changing daily
Technical Attendant (Community Health Rep) (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at work for me was to go out to different outreach sites and engage at risk and/or marginalized populations for testing, treatment and follow-up of sexually transmitted infections and blood borne pathogens. working closely with registered nurses and building relationships with clients, it was both rewarding and exciting as there were never two days the same.
I learned a lot about infections of these types and how they do not discriminate to just the marginalized populations and can affect us all.
supported by a great manager we were able to accomplish our job in a variety of interesting ways to serve our clients.
The hardest part of the position was having to be involved in notifying clients about serious infections such as HIV.
the most enjoyable part was building relationships and educating people about different infections and how they may be prevented.
Good company to work with
Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 10, 2015
Good company to work with; good salary and benefits; good work/life balance
Good employer
Clerk IV (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 3, 2015
AHS offers very competitive wages and many job opportunities.
The co workers are amazing
Hospital Unit Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: benefits, good pay
Cons: not enough staff for the work load
It has been a roller coaster at AHS. However I have made some really great friends and met some really dedicated medical staff.
A great place to work, with good management support.
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2014
Opportunities for advancement, and a wide variety of people, skillsets and demographics.

Excellent location.
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 15, 2014
I learned how to handled diverse and difficult people with less stress and more understanding. I demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work co-operatively in the interest of better satisfaction. I developed strategies to resolve conflict for group collaboration and better relationship.
Productive work environment.
Occupational Therapist — Dementia Care Team (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 15, 2014
Enjoyable experience with an excellent team and management.
Great life lessons and learning
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2014
Pros: good pay, unionized, smart coworkers
Cons: patients can be stressful, hard to become an employee initially
I have nothing but good things to say about AHS: they are unionize, pay well, hours are fair.

Coworkers very friendly: most ppl worked great as a team.
Enjoyed Christmas staff party and staff birthday parties as well as resident parties and doing recreational activites with them
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee), Hythe, ABNovember 3, 2014
Pros: working with great co-workers and loved caring for the elderly
Cons: long hours (12 hours) shift and weekend work
Loved working with the elderly and enjoyed the new experiences and what I've learned from this. Enjoyed the laughter shared amongst the co-workers and made the day go by quickly. Although now I find I no longer enjoy the 12 hour shifts or weekend shifts.
Always learning in the workplace
Unit Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 21, 2014
Working in a hospital setting is a great place to learn and improve many skills. Things can change as fast as the weather, so you must always be alert and on your toes.
Working with children 5 days a week is a great time to let your inner child out.
Clerk 3 Ahs
Clerk III (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2014
Great place to work, did basic admin task in a medical clinic, Booking appointments, scheduling doctors checking patients in and out.
Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Medical Responder (Current Employee), Oyen, ABOctober 6, 2014
Respond to 911 calls
Public and safety meetings
Hospital rounds
Away from home
Love the ambulance
Amazing people to work for, so dedicated.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: too many projects on the go.
Amazing people work at AHS! They are truly dedicated to finding better ways of making you better. The hard part is the public doesn't get a chance to hear or see what is really going on. I do truly belive they would be impressed with all of the things going on behind the sceens. We may not be on the front line, but our goal is the same, to give every
Albertan the best health care in the world.

About Alberta Health Services

We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide – Read more

Alberta Health Services Photos