Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Good job security
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB17 July 2016
Very large company and organization so difficult to feel connected.
Benefits are not the greatest. Good job security.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Just a number
Highly knowledgable place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Smoky Lake, AB8 July 2016
Starting off as a casual worker i found it difficult to progress. Having had learned different skills and practice them i am thankful for my experience from this company.
Pros
Very Informative
Cons
Shift work, can be a difficult atmosphere
Each depart must do their own hiring
Trying to get hired there (Former Employee) –  n/a3 July 2016
That's right NO CENTRAL HR. Due to shortage of staff department managers must do their own advertising and hiring. So get this the employees are encourage to find new people to hire (of course this would mostly apply to work in other departments) but when they recommend someone, those individuals are not put into a 'recommended by employee' pool.
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB2 July 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Good
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Remand Centre2 July 2016
I work full-time as a Unit Clerk, I work 7.75 hours a day. My schedule works on a 12 week rotation, and I work three different areas. I enjoy working with my co-workers and have fun well I work.
Provided administrative support to the Director’s office • Prepared detailed reports and presentations for management meetings
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2016
Enjoyed the duties at work with many good employees around and very co-operative. Meet/Greet different people as they would come meet the director in regards to various updates in procurement on going basis.
Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB23 June 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
Good Place to Work
Training and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2016
My particular position was quite good, it involved a great deal of instruction and working with people. Management provided good support and the co-workers were great.
Pros
paid training
hardworking and life-long learning
Health Care Aides, Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB31 May 2016
A typical day at work is busy.
I have learned so much more.
It is well organized organization.
Most co-workers are positive.
Coping the stresses from negative co-workers is the hardest part of work.
Supportive environment is the most enjoyable part in the job
Pros
Good bebefits
Cons
less positions
Large health authoritiy
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
Heath authority covering all of Alberta. Many opportunities within, great benefits and pay. I had the opportunity to get specialized in Labour and Delivery during my employment with FHS
Alberta Health Services
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Three Hills, AB23 May 2016
A typical day was well organized and thought out in order to get all work required done. Work was physical and demanding. I learned how to deal with elderly people with respect and caring. Management was good but it was a difficult job. The hardest part of the job was when we lost our Seniors. The most enjoyable part was that we were able to have wonderful communication with the Seniors.
Pros
Very happy place to work
Cons
very physically demanding
In general I find working at Alberta Health Services very rewarding.
HEALTH PROMOTION FACILITATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2016
Working with Seniors of all abilities and cultures I found it very rewarding both, with the people to work with and as a learning experience. The other fitness leaders were always helpful and willing to assist when required.
I don't think I can honestly say that I've met a grumpy older adult in any of my fitness classes, they were an amazing group of people to work with and generally very grateful as a number of my sites were lower income sites
The time I was in Allied Health Dept. there was quite a change over in management, there were 6 new managers for my specific Department in less than a year so a lot of change as each implemented their own policys. This time had some difficult moments when we as employee's were left out of any planning to the times we were asked for input which were better.
I worked half days on my own traveling from site to site to deliver fitness classes to seniors and ultimately handicapped individuals. The most difficult part of the job was the travel especially in the winter months
Pros
training and upgradeing supplied
Cons
In the PC&CDM Dept, working evenings is required
good job.
Laundry worker, soiled linen (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 May 2016
the job is great, management is poor, and the work load is to much for the staff they have.they need to pat attention to the little people.
Experience varies widely by team
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2016
Some teams are great, some are less than great - depends entirely on management of the team and the leadership stream above them.
Pros
respectful of employee rights
Family like work environment with access to mall
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2016
Very Enjoyable job helping clients. Learned alot about our healthcare system and immigration. Management was a little all over the map and sometimes unreachable when needed. The co-workers are like a family very kind and caring and great to see everyday. The hardest part of the job was coordinating/communication with other departments within the healthcare umbrella.
very professional work place
LPN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2016
very organized work area, co-workers work really hard to get things and daily tasks done. most enjoyable part of the job was seen client in their own environment there personal homes and assisting them.
Unionized
SYSTEMS ANALYST 3 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2016
If you work in Information Systems, you will definitely have to be a member of AUPE since AHS turned into a Provincial Employer in 2008 that means that the opportunities are very slim to get in the door and seniority is more important than productivity and performance.
Amazing experience in ED
Emergency Department Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2016
Volunteering in ED has been an amazing experience. Have learned how to handle many different situations as well as help save lives every shift. While shifts are short and only 3 hours each, I prefer to take 2 shifts in a row. The people, staff volunteers and patients, are amazing and super understanding.
good employer
Housekeeping ( Casual) (Current Employee) –  Claresholm, AB11 April 2016
good work environment, very good pay and people are nice to work with because we all observe the values and the culture in the hospital .
Great job for those that work well in teams
Laundry Worker, Red Deer Regional Hosptial (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 April 2016
This job is great for teamwork building because it requires 9 women to work in groups of three to each station in order to fulfill the tasks assigned. It's great because you can make friends and work well this way without having to worry about dealing with customers. There's simply a quota that needs to be met and that's it. This job also really teaches one to be efficient because there is always something to be done.
The hardest thing about this job is that it can get tedious and monotonous at times and can be difficult to get through the work day because of this. Also it's very labour intensive and requires you to do moderate to heavy lifting on a regular basis. But, if you have the radio playing and have a buddy to chat with while you work, it's much much better.
The best thing about this job is that you don't have to deal with customers. You see the same people every day and you all get along pretty well enough that the work day isn't grueling. Also the best thing is that you can just mind your own business or zone out and just set yourself to one task every few hours and get things done.
Pros
No customers, job security, teamwork, minimal supervision
Cons
tedious and monotonous work, loud work environment (need hearing protection), labour intensive