Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great opportunity to work in rural Alberta serving the needs of children
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Stettller, ABSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Working with the children
Cons: Poor Management support and the politics
The position provided a variety of experiences working with a wide variety of children with many different speech-language needs . The position provided great support in the schools with the educators and I had a super experience working with the educators and educational assistants in providing for the Speech-Language needs of the children. I learned a lot about work environment politics and dealing with difficult people( Manager and Speech-Language Assistants) not willing to support the Speech-Language Pathologist in charge. The most enjoyable part of my job was working directly with the children , educational assistants and teachers in the rural schools.
Dealing with patients
Accounts Receivable Clerk V (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2015
Pros: Work/life balance
Cons: management
Work/ life balanced place for work. Some time challenging clients to deal with. Office colleagues were helpful and easy to deal with
great
LPN, Acute Care Nurse (Former Employee), albertaSeptember 8, 2015
great health care, small town staff. quality patient care
management is needed, help is needed. staff not welcoming to new comeres
my co-workers are excellent, knowledgable, professional, caring, will to help one another.
Registered Nurse - Out Patient Clinic Setting (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 6, 2015
Patients come first. There is continuity of care ,respect in all levels of supervisors and colleagues. In addition there is computer support, frequent educational in-services, updates of policies and procedures.
Good work environment
Operating Room Service Worker (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 30, 2015
The AHS is a good place to work. Staff is fun and professional. Management lets us work independently. I wish the AHS did however have a daycare.
helping clients have a happy more productive day
HCA (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABAugust 22, 2015
Pros: pay is very good
Cons: never recognized
a good place to work. pays well and its enjoyable caring for people. lots of walking on very hard floors. lots of politics. management is awful except for a very few.
Fun and fruitful volunteer work
still volunteering (Current Employee), Red Deer, AlbertaAugust 17, 2015
The volunteer hours is balanced for work and life. The lessons and experiences during volunteering are definitely worth it.
Productive and challenging job
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), University of Alberta /EdmontonAugust 13, 2015
Working with Alberta Health Services is a challenging and productive environment.I am able to show my full abilities and knowledge by applying what I learned from my school and training.Also I was able to learned so much working with other health care professionals.Co-workers and the management has been supportive in achieving a good and timely patient care.
Ever since working with my Alberta health Services has been an easy transition for me because everyone is always willing to give good advice and tips to make our working environment enjoyable.
Productive Office
Clerk 111 - Outpatient Booking (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABAugust 5, 2015
Pros: variety and much to do
Cons: poor management
Very fast-paced, productive office; the days just raced by! Enjoyable work! Lack of good training in department (so I put together a thorough training manual) and poor management, lacking in management skills.
A somewhat acceptable experience
IT Security Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Trainer was very good
Cons: long hours
Organization was under a hiring freeze, no promotions, no salary increases for quite some time. While I had a very pleasant with my peers, management was absentee, unavailable, unresponsive, making it difficult to move forward with projects requiring approvals.
Intake and Triage Therapist
Intake and Crisis Triage Therapist (Former Employee), Lac La Biche, ABJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Good clinic environment
Cons: Poor management
Wonderful work environment with excellent colleagues. Very good clinical supervision. This is a position that requires considerable clinical experience at it requires the therapist to deal with many kinds of clinical problems.
Nice Job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Grande Prairie ABJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Supervisor are considerate
Cons: excellent service
Awesome Job. Will grow your Maturity, Respect and especially when you see your job well done. Good management and team.
Good pay, horrible boss.
Prepardness, Heliport manager, Fire Marshal, etc (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Good pay
Cons: Abusive managers
Maintained 3 hospital sites maintenance department as well as did on call and repairs. Procured material and some medical equipment.
Flexibility, work-life balance,
Advisor, Workplace Health and Safety (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2015
Pros: work-life balance and flexibility
Cons: promotional avenues are restricted
During the course of six years at AHS working in the capacity of Workplace Health and safety Advisor, we got trained almost in every field of health and safety (Hygiene, IAQ, ergonomic, safety, full face and half mask fit testing, management of health and safety, establishing the safety culture.and also customer services.
Home health aide
Heath Aide (Current Employee), Didsbury abJune 21, 2015
Pros: wages, benefits, patients/learning new skills-improving/education
Cons: Not enough travel between patients residence-safety issue, call constantly for more hours
Good wages & benefits, good cont. education, decent management
Inadequate or safe travel times in between patients, 15 minutes for travel 2-3 patients, health& safety! There was a near fatal accident with staff & they never have improved this.
Great learning & interactions with patients/families
Learned new skills
High-strung atmosphere, terrible management, bad for your body
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Various Health Care FacilitiesMay 19, 2015
Pros: You come in, you do your work, you leave.
Cons: Had to pay for parking, sat in a chair all day, terrible management.
The day in the life of a medical transcriptionist is not one that I would recommend. Of course working in an office always has it's pros and cons, the negative effects of sitting in a chair, typing all day are ubiquitous and you can't get away from them, even if you work at home. Working from home would be better for doing stretches and getting up and walking around and going for a tea or coffee every now wand then, resetting your eyes and things like that.

At AHS, I mostly enjoyed the casual MT position, as it allowed me to work only when I wanted to because there were enough shifts to work full-time hours.

I learned that sitting behind a desk and typing all day wreaks havoc on your body. Your cardiovascular system suffers, you potentially get carpal tunnel, your joints and ligaments all stiffen and tighten up, your eyesight gets worse from staring at a screen all day. Your back muscles become knotted and tight, adversely affecting your posture and the overall structure of your body. You get fatigued from not moving all day.

Co-workers were mostly middle-aged or older women who did not exercise and only gossiped about other people.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in and not having to prepare anything, if I didn't want to get involved in the drama I would just continue working away, earphones droning out the judgemental comments, and then when I had put in my 8 hours I could just shut down my computer and leave. No preparing anything. No real time-sensitive reports.

The management at FMC, however, was awful as he/she was always talking about – more... us being out of the job due to voice recognition and threatening job losses. I became interested and studied a different field in healthcare when I was working here, and took a few weeks off to study for my diploma examination (which, due to my casual shift, was totally within my rights and job description). Then upon finishing my diploma examination, it was agreed that I would return to taking shifts because it would take me an indeterminable amount of time to look for work in this area (it has been 3 years and I am not working in this field yet). Instead, my direct supervisor denied me shifts for 3 months, telling me that there were none, all the while giving the full-time staff overtime hours. This forced me to look for other work, and subsequently spiralled me into credit debt due to lack of income. It was very difficult to go to the union in this job position.

The management at another location was pretty bad too, as everyone was terrified of the woman. If you knew she was there, you basically wouldn't even look away from your computer or talk to anyone ever because she would yell at you from a different room, saying she couldn't hear you typing, if you stopped to say anything to anyone. It was more like slavery than an occupation.

I do not recommend working as an MT ever. Go for 2 years for something else, it will be WORTH IT. The pay was nice but, again, not worth it.

Working for AHS though, probably good. They are a union, so as long as you aren't in transcription you're probably good. – less
AHS was an okay place to work
Clerk IV (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2015
Alberta health services was an okay place to work, people who have already been employed with AHS are gaurenteed job security within the region.
So much life experience, knowledge and work ethic gained
Clerk III / IV (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
Pros: Small clinic setting allowed our team to become and stay really close like a family
Cons: Only being there on a casual basis
I absolutely loved working in the region, it allowed me to use my personal skills as well as the skills I obtained in school. Very productive and energetic workplace. A typical day of work for me was in the Hospital, getting our small clinic started, opening doors, pulling charts and answering phones, patient questions, calling patients to recovery for blood work testing, sending patients to diagnostic testing, and booking patients for later dates, validating healthcare, Answering emails, scheduling meetings with management for upcoming days. The hardest part of the job was not being able to follow the patients through their appointments, wanting to provide further knowledge and support through their days. The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily knowledge gained, there were never two days exactly alike, there were always things to learn and things to do.
Loved the company
Nursing Attendant (casual) (Current Employee), Radway , St.Paul , EdmontonMay 5, 2015
I loved the staff at AHS , they are all so welcoming and kind. The best place i have ever been employed :) The staff work very well together and are very empathetic to the patients. The best part of working for AHS is the way they take such pride in the residents and patients care.
Very productive and fullfilling
Unit Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 25, 2015
Pros: worked with life schedule
Cons: managment changed a lot
Loved this job. Only left because we moved back to Texas. Very fast paced so the day went by fast. Loved my coworkers. Love the medical field and all I learnedat this job.
Headquarters