Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

It is an experience going to work here. One never knows what will happen during a shift.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ponoka, AB1 March 2017
The hardest part of this job is getting attached to the senior patients. Most enjoyable part of my job is making my patients feel better about themselves and making them laugh. Everyday at work is a learning experience. Always something new. I have never had any problems dealing with the managers. They are a good crew to work for.
Pros
Working casual you can pretty much make up your own schedule
Cons
LPN's cannot work night shifts because they cannot be in charge. This limits your shifts.
Excellent customer service
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2017
We assist clients in vaccination. The team helps each other in performing duties. I enjoy my job because I get to serve the public and work in a respectful environment. Our management team are superb, making sure we are fully staffed in order to provide excellent customer service.
A good team with a solid commitment to safety
Workplace Health and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 February 2017
My work was mostly computer based, working with AHS' online incident management system.
This involved calling the various hospital managers to assist them with the new system as well as provide OHS guidance.
The managers were mostly interested in just getting it over with but they responded to OHS suggestions over time.

AHS is good at improving its people as they offer a number of opportunities for personal improvement such as courses.

Other than that, the onboarding process was slow, taking weeks before I had complete computer use.
Pros
The management was quick to let you leave early on holidays, long weekends, etc.
Cons
The parking pass system is nanners
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grimshaw, AB23 February 2017
Very fast paced and rewarding. Good management. Long hours on your feet. Small nursing home so you know a lot of the clients from outside of work. Small town.
Pros
one place position
Cons
not much time for each client
Turn on the ovens, steamers.
Cook/Prep-Nutrition Food Services (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 February 2017
Turn on the oven, steamers, start breakfast for patients, breakfast for costumer at the cafeteria, lunch.
I learn empathy for other people who work in service industry jobs.
I work with many people from different countries.
The hardest part they don't have many hours to work.
I like every thing about my job I love cooking.
Great Work Place
LPN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2017
I love working in this unit. Great staff,great teamwork.There are always education offered and there is always support from the unit manager.There is great collaboration and training .
Good benefits
Human Resources Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 February 2017
The position was a good opportunity. I liked the co-workers I shared an office with. Very team oriented and always helping each other. The benefits were the best. My brother in law was in a severe accident and AHS was very supportive with time off and sick leave.
Pros
co workers and benefits
Cons
no flexible hours and basement office
Alberta Health Services
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 February 2017
Not my dream career position, would rather be working directly with clients.
I have grown as a person since I started there and enhanced and utilized my skills.
I really enjoying working with the people who are in the same office as I am.
Ahs
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 February 2017
This has been an amazing experience for me. The people I work with and for are amazing. They are always friendly and have a smile on their faces. This is the career i have always wanted.
Very toxic place to work
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 February 2017
The management in the dept. where I worked were horrible, rude & spiteful people. Not allowed to speak your own mind & if you did you were hauled into the office & given a talking to!
I do NOT recommend working for this company ever! They kill your spirit & wear you down. Almost suffered a nervous breakdown working there:(
Pros
Great benefits & wages
Cons
Horrible management!
A well organized company
Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB11 February 2017
Offers competitive wages and a well organized place of work. Allows many areas of opportunity for learning and advancement.
Pros
Competitive wages
Cons
Huge Company = Less recognition
Horrible management and work conditions
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 February 2017
There is very poor management in my department... cannot sit idle for two minutes even after our work is done... have to keep moving continuously. We are made feel guilty about calling in sick. There is too much work pressure on us. We are short staffed on most days without management coming to us and asking if we need any help. Scheduling is horrible. Have to work too many weekends. Work/life balance is not good. There is a lot of favouritism in our department. We are never appreciated for our hard work. We are constantly reminded of any mistakes that we have made. The work conditions are extremely poor.... bad lighting, zero ventilation (working with extremely hazardous substances) some areas of the department are too hot while some are too cold. There is no separation between hazardous and toxic substances and other non toxic substances. The work environment is full of stress.
Good work/life balance.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB9 February 2017
Well taken care of and promoted to ensure family and personal life are tended to. Enjoy the ability to focus of family when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Northern location
Contract Employee
Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2017
I much enjoyed my time at AHS. I worked as a contractor not as a regular employee as such the culture for me would have been quite different than that of most employees. I would think what would make the biggest difference is who you get as your superiors in whatever area you work. In my case, I had great people to work with. I went through a few bosses during my time there and they were all different but all great in their own ways.

I recommend employment at AHS if you can find it and it's work you enjoy.
Pros
Flexible work hours and accommodation for individual needs.
Cons
Some long hours, some weekend work. It goes with the territory.
Lots of opportunity to learn useful knowledge in thr future.
Health Care Aid (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 February 2017
This is one of my favorite company in my life. I have learned a lot in this company. They are making people really knowledgeable and responsible.
Productive and fun!
Logistics Coordinator, Accreditation (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2017
This job was the highlight of my career thus far. Employees are well taken care of. The work life balance is excellent. I was allowed to learn and grow here. I also felt rewarded and appreciated for my hard work. I would love to work for AHS again!
Pros
flexible schedule
Health care aide
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I worked for them for 2 years management is horrible and bully you but great resources to keep your knowledge up always Drama no matter how much you avoid it try resolving it threw management they leave you feeling stupid and more upset then when u walked in
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Drama BAD management
Professional and excellent place to work
Administrative Support III, Holy Cross Centre (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2017
Clerical duties in computer and managenment of private documents. Use of differents tecnology programs. Send letters to patients. Transcription of information.
Challenging but fun environment to work
Environmental II (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2017
Since i step my feet on the unit where i work in its getting busy and busier.

Learning is on the process every day you learn new things how to improve your daily routine and give good judgemental to your job

Management are helpful and they do what they can to help our job easier

The hardest part is when im just new some certain thing that must be in proper places but its to many to remember at first but when i used to it easy!

Most Enjoyable is to meet people and even helping to train/orient a new member..
Pros
good benifets
Cons
days of work
Meaningful work and consistent work activities
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB3 February 2017
Low stress environment with fun people and a good management team. You get to see all of the patients and talk with them. Hardest part is seeing patients who are struggling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval