Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
Fast Paced and Full of Variety
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I truly enjoyed my career with AHS. I had excellent mentors, incredible opportunities for education and professional growths. As well as great benefits and pension plans. I think it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to work in the Public Sector in a role full of constant change.
Pros
Enabling, independant yet team driven environment
Cons
There is a lot of time sensitive issues so overtime is often a must.
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB2 July 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
okay place to work that department would like another department
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 November 2016
I like job because it was very physical and had good benefits and the time line. Monday to Friday 6-2 good hour to work worked with my life. Not the best environment to work in no air condition in the summer and working with fecal matter.
Loved my job, Great co-workers, Plenty of opportunity
Director, Contract Quality Monitoring (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2016
I worked at AHS for nearly two years in a senior management position and only left because we relocated to the east coast. Otherwise I could have seen working there for the remainder of my career.

AHS offers a handsome benefits package, plenty of encouragement to advance your degree or pursue professional designations, and the atmosphere is open and friendly.

Though AHS cannot offer the salary of the OAG industry, they do offer steady employment and plenty of opportunity for advancement. Cannot recommend AHS enough.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Parking is costly at some locations
Great advancement job and great staff
Control centre coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2016
Really enjoy my work and feel appreciated the benifits are great and I am able to show my true purpose. I love problem solving and understand all sides of project
good work enviroment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
- never had any issues, good co-workers
- good place to meet new people
- good managers
- good benefits
- great place to learn new skills and maintain skills

Good job security
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB17 July 2016
Very large company and organization so difficult to feel connected.
Benefits are not the greatest. Good job security.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Just a number
Good team work
Provincial Initiatives Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 September 2016
The working environment is conducive to excellent job performance and achievement of objectives. The team work adds to the improvement of work quality every year and helps us contribute effectively in the delivery of services on time and within allocated resources. Management plays a great role in steering the team and providing opportunities for further skill development and identifying career development opportunities.
Due to the provincial scope of the job sometimes the timelines for Action Requests are too tight but due to our good team work we have always been able to achieve the target.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
Limited options to work from home in times of need
Large health authoritiy
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
Heath authority covering all of Alberta. Many opportunities within, great benefits and pay. I had the opportunity to get specialized in Labour and Delivery during my employment with FHS
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Morinville, AB17 November 2015
Shifts begin either at 0700 or at 1400, and the work is enjoyable. Both the tasks and the locations vary, which is pleasant for me because I am very flexible. Some days I am in the lodge administering medications and assisting clients with baths, and other days I am driving around the county to assist clients in the community, whether it be for bath assists or wound care. The hardest part of this job would have to be saying goodbye to my clients. In this line of work, you become almost like family, and when someone passes away, it can be difficult. The clients are the best part of my job. I love meeting new clients, visiting current clients, and getting to know their stories. I have always had home care in my home growing up as my mother was disabled. Being a part of a home care team comes second nature, and I very much love my job, which shows!
Pros
excellent pay, benefits
Cons
being casual, when there aren't any hours to work, can be discouraging
A great place to work with.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valleyview, AB25 February 2016
Working with AHS helped me grow as a employee. Everyday, you get to learn new things.It's a fulfillment for me to work in the hospital, providing care to patients and being there for them in good or bad times.
Benefits
Government
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2016
There are two types of positions: In-Scope and Out of Scope. In-Scope positions are unionized. If you enjoy working in a unionized environment, then AHS is a great place to work.

For Out-of-Scope positions, you are dealing directly with the manager. AHS is very bureaucratic and things are slow to change, but there is opportunity to improve processes and directly affect patient care.
Pros
Pension and generous vacation time
Cons
Bureaucratic and slow to change
I would really like to work as a massage theripst
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 December 2016
I would d 16 hours a day 4 times a week.
I work with kids and adults.
I have dealt with robberys.
I go to mental heaalth at the hospital
Pros
long time to get pay check
Rather not review
IT Lead (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 January 2016
I would rather not review Alberta Health Services, One thing I can say is that the people I have worked with in the past are very passionate about healthcare and take improving the healthcare in Alberta very seriously.
benefits
Cons
limited career advancement
Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB23 June 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
In general I find working at Alberta Health Services very rewarding.
HEALTH PROMOTION FACILITATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2016
Working with Seniors of all abilities and cultures I found it very rewarding both, with the people to work with and as a learning experience. The other fitness leaders were always helpful and willing to assist when required.
I don't think I can honestly say that I've met a grumpy older adult in any of my fitness classes, they were an amazing group of people to work with and generally very grateful as a number of my sites were lower income sites
The time I was in Allied Health Dept. there was quite a change over in management, there were 6 new managers for my specific Department in less than a year so a lot of change as each implemented their own policys. This time had some difficult moments when we as employee's were left out of any planning to the times we were asked for input which were better.
I worked half days on my own traveling from site to site to deliver fitness classes to seniors and ultimately handicapped individuals. The most difficult part of the job was the travel especially in the winter months
Pros
training and upgradeing supplied
Cons
In the PC&CDM Dept, working evenings is required
Dispatcher/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2016
Great place to work. Managers are great. sadly work life balance as it is a shift work job is not there. Friendly staff and you have the chance to use their online education system
Boring call centre job
Clerk IV for Alberta Health Link (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 January 2016
Management was ridiculous, she had no idea what she was doing. I felt chained to the desk with no freedom. I did not enjoy this job at all the only plus was the pay and benefits and pension.