Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Overall excellent team work
Community Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Innisfail, AB15 April 2017
Overall good conditions. Typical day varies according to acuity in the community. Workplace culture is very dependent on sharing and cooperation.
Hardest part of the job is unstaffing. The most enjoyable is the contact with client's and their families. Focus can really be on client centred care.
Pros
Automomy
Cons
Budget restraints
Simple, fair job
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2017
It was a simple job, easy enough to understand. Was a healthy work environment, and the pay was good. Though, it was hard to move up and onto other jobs.
Busy outpatient department
Orthotech/LPN, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2017
Working for AHS has it's pros and cons. It's a large organization with many benefits, but the individual employee is just that...a number in the largest employer in the province.
Very good benefits and competitive remuneration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2017
Learned so many new software as Executive Assistant to Senior/Executive level management. The job is satisfactory but not something that would open doors to a lot of opportunities.
Pros
good salary
Cons
hours are not ideal for people with kids
More than one department of cleaning
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort Vermilion, AB6 April 2017
I sanitized and disinfected acute care, long term care and palliative care suites and emergency departments as well as work stations in hospital/community health.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
Short lunches
My job and bosses intensions are in the best intentions.
Food and Nutrition (Current Employee) –  Spirit River, AB4 April 2017
The health care system and how the morals to our patients are not kept in check. Patients are getting miss treated and neglected and our staff is over worked and grow to not care.

Big big problem. Communities need to come together and work with our government.
Not good enough
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2017
Not good place to work. Too much prejudices. Management listens to certain people. They do not surveys for staff by patients. The staff patients devalue, management likes. The staff patients love, management hates.
Pros
Cons
Not enough money
A great and well recognized organization
Unit Clerk at Peter Lougheed Hopsital (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2017
I work at Peter Lougheed Hospital in Mental Health and its a
great work environment with nursing staff and Doctors.
Everyday is full of different job challenges, you really have to be able to multi task.

Hard to find a stable position/line currently though with the economy.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
I really enjoyed working there and would go back in a heart beat. The ability to work remotely was great, the manager was great, and the pay was great. The flexibility was a real change of pace which allowed me to contribute a lot more.
Pros
Flexibility
Great atmosphere
Housekeeper Casual (Former Employee) –  Claresholm, AB23 March 2017
Typical work day is getting prepared to start organizing our cart and making sure everything that is touchable is disinfected. I learned to work as a team player and help out as much as I can.

The work place culture is working in a stable environment with great staff. Hardest part about the job is using the floor machine. Most times it will not work so we mop the floors with the broom on the rough cement floor.

Most enjoyable about the job would have to be working with partners sometimes you get the job done faster and easier.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
nothing.
Great experience
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2017
Typical day at work, answer phones, make up charts for patients, hardest part of the job was losing patients when the battle they were fighting had won.
Great Place to work!
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2017
Very interesting job. Co workers are task oriented and management are helpful as well. Everyday is learning as you meet people from all walks of life. Amazing!
Poor management
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2017
Unsupportive management and physicians. Overbooked clinic and OR. Educator only support person. Hostile and toxic work environment. At times very unsafe and unsupported in the procedure room. As well as in the clinic
Pros
Potential to be a great place with the proper support and management
Cons
Overbooked and hostile coworkers
Great pay, adequate holiday and sick time, management mostly supportive
Forensic Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2017
Good paying jobs, shift work can be stressful and mess with your sleep habits, good holiday/sick/benefits. Atmosphere mostly positive. Patients are the best part of the job.
It is an excellent place to work.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB8 March 2017
Very busy place. You need to be flexible, Always need to be professional, polite and curious. Compassionate and kind. One day is never the same as the next it is always different you never know what to except from patients and staff. In my position we work with minimal supervision, one needs to know how to prioritize in order to get the job done. Management gets back to us in a timely fashion as their office is at another location therefore we use e-mail often to communicate. The most difficult about the job is that patients have to wait and sometimes the wait time is very long and they become impatient. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am able to serve the public, I love being able to help individuals.
Well Managed
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2017
The management is strong and supportive.
I was always well informed, professionally addressed, and felt comfortable at work.
It is easy to transfer within Alberta Health Services from one position to another and you are well supported throughout the process. It will be hard to leave Alberta Health Services. I felt respected and that the job was well paid.
Great people to work with
DATA ENTRY - Influenza (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2017
Training was great from a very knowledgeable person. Hours were flexible. Learned two in-house programs with no difficulty. Pay was a little above average.

Sitting all day was not a bonus; chairs were not that comfortable. Group meetings were fun and everyone had a chance to speak.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Chairs very uncomfortable for sitting long hours.
Wonder full Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB2 March 2017
Ambulatory Care in MHRH is an amazing unit to work, great staff, great manager, great support systems. The Clients are fantastic and I for one liked the fact that we were open on weekends but closed on all holidays.
Pros
Great Staff and clients
Cons
Sometimes coffee breaks are missed
Great experience
Flower Deliverer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 March 2017
I loved volunteering at the Red Deer hospital it is a fun job helping put a smile on peoples faces. I worked with the flower delivery program and it was always a blast. Dropping off flower arrangements for people brightened their day which brightened mine.
Pros
Making people happy
Cons
Being in a hospital environment isnt ideal cant be sad
It is an experience going to work here. One never knows what will happen during a shift.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ponoka, AB1 March 2017
The hardest part of this job is getting attached to the senior patients. Most enjoyable part of my job is making my patients feel better about themselves and making them laugh. Everyday at work is a learning experience. Always something new. I have never had any problems dealing with the managers. They are a good crew to work for.
Pros
Working casual you can pretty much make up your own schedule
Cons
LPN's cannot work night shifts because they cannot be in charge. This limits your shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.