Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

productive and fast paced, working with the residents and patients enjoyable
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB19 May 2017
A typical day at work was very busy, fast paced with a lot of multi tasking with a definite need of team work and communications between co workers and paying attention to details, I learned a lot about the dynamics of working within a hospital atmosphere and everything that working in a bigger kitchen entails.The manager i was working with was very nice and seemed approachable and understanding and takes her job seriously,Unfortunately the workplace culture had become somewhat toxic with a lot of lying and gossip, back stabbing as well as some bullying and belittling from certain co workers for a long period of time with no resolution, nor did i want to make the situation any worse for my self or anyone else, at the same time i was dealing with pretty serious health and family issues which in turn effected me physically, feeling ill and experiencing anxiety attacks to the point where i felt it was best for me to leave the work environment,. Working with some co workers and other hospital staff was great but above all working with the residents and patients was the most enjoyable experience of the job and would like to further myself in that direction with the knowledge, wisdom and experience i have gained from the past situation moving forward.
Pros
pay and benefits are pretty good, interacting with the residents, patients and other hospital employees
Cons
the unfortunate loss of residents, possibilty of working with mean people
fun
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Morinville, AB17 May 2017
Alberta Health Services are a great group of staff they have a great care team and plans for routine care. the clients are great and interesting stories.
Fufilling
Envirronmental service worker 2 (Current Employee) –  Fort saskatchewan AB15 May 2017
It is a great feeling to be part of a team that saves life every day. We also have the oppurtinity to grow as an employe throug courses. The team is also exelant.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Only casual work.
Positive work environment
Driver II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 May 2017
co-workers are really good to work with and management treats you well. The work environment is very friendly and they do actually have a social club that does things
Pros
good environment
Recreation Therapist (Current Employee) –  Calgary13 May 2017
A great place to work. This agency offers amazing benefit packages, and salaries are often higher then other organizations. A high level of professionalism is the standard.
Pros
Benefits, good salary
relaxing, easy going and fun
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB10 May 2017
volunteering for the residents is actually alright. it's fun, it keeps you occupied. you can read, make arts and crafts, do activities, listen to the residents stories, talk to them.
Pros
learned new things, met new people.
Very routine
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB7 May 2017
As a secretary with Alberta Health Services you work 8 am - 5 pm.
You are able to utilize your skills in Microsoft office and they offer free upgrading in this.

The hardest part of the job would have been boredom at times, and the most enjoyable was working with other team members.
Pros
Free training and upgrading of skills
Cons
Boredom
Very friendly staff, with a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
HCA in emergency department (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 May 2017
My experience with AHS over the past seven years has been overall very positive. I enjoy working for this company, and will continue to work with them.
Review of Job
Secretary I at the Edmonton Remand Centre (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2017
A typical day at work would consist of, but are not limited to meetings, taking meeting minutes as well as recruitment of staff and onboarding of new employees for Alberta Health Services in Corrections Health here and at Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre. I coordinate and book meetings for the Provincial Manager on and off site as well as assisting the Assistant Health Care Manger and Addictions and Mental Health Manager. I am in the process of learning the billing for AHS here on site. I am a super user in many different programs that are used here on site and I am the go to person for things that go wrong on an ongoing basis within the centre through AHS working closely with the Data Integrity team through AHS.
Pros
Great hours of work
Cons
The environment in which I work in, which can be difficult
Great Place
Home Care LPN (Current Employee) –  Fort Vermilion, AB5 May 2017
I really enjoy working for AHS. There are many resources available to employees and the internal job posting are easily accessed. I have worked in 4 different AHS sites, and have absolutely enjoyed 2 sites.
Patient Care (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
Lots of helpful, caring staff. People overall provide support to each other. Management is government, so difficult at time, but overall positive. I would highly recommend working for AHS as their benefit are good, and the staff in general are quite helpful.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Long hours, bureaucracy at times
AHC is so large it has become a "business" not a care center
Seniors Home Care, Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
I felt A.H.C. in past to be quite scattered and impersonal. Change is hard for all involved, but things never seemed to settle after a change. Generally, I felt insecure and unable to use my skills in my job because someone else my complain about how did something different. Units have groups that work together as a team, which can be positive if the team is compatible. In a large hospital there is always a large amount of "gossip" which I dislike.
However, there is a chance for learning and advancing through inservice education. I mostly learned from "rounds" which only charge nurses are to go on. I want active education daily about my patients from a Doctors perspective and to be able to ask questions
and get answers from the people who have the knowledge, not from the procedure book only.
Pros
great pay and good union
Cons
impersonal, frustrating, and restricting in large hospitals
Day at Work
IT Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2017
Day at work involves communicating with stakeholders about changes that may occur in the services, continuous process improvements, and service requests. As well as continues building of relationship and trust.
Great work environment
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary24 April 2017
Great work environment for the most part. I had awesome managers and great colleagues 80% of the time. If you don't get involved in job politics, you are good to go....
Pros
balanced
Cons
politics and groupism
Good Company
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairview, AB22 April 2017
typical 8 hrs a day, no shift work. Sometimes job is so pressing due to different staff issues that needs to be resolve right away. Oncall rotation. Overtime not really an option, very seldom you get OT.
Pros
Company is secure that means job security
Cons
On Call
Overall excellent team work
Community Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Innisfail, AB15 April 2017
Overall good conditions. Typical day varies according to acuity in the community. Workplace culture is very dependent on sharing and cooperation.
Hardest part of the job is unstaffing. The most enjoyable is the contact with client's and their families. Focus can really be on client centred care.
Pros
Automomy
Cons
Budget restraints
Simple, fair job
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2017
It was a simple job, easy enough to understand. Was a healthy work environment, and the pay was good. Though, it was hard to move up and onto other jobs.
Busy outpatient department
Orthotech/LPN, Full-time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2017
Working for AHS has it's pros and cons. It's a large organization with many benefits, but the individual employee is just that...a number in the largest employer in the province.
Very good benefits and competitive remuneration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2017
Learned so many new software as Executive Assistant to Senior/Executive level management. The job is satisfactory but not something that would open doors to a lot of opportunities.
Pros
good salary
Cons
hours are not ideal for people with kids
More than one department of cleaning
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort Vermilion, AB6 April 2017
I sanitized and disinfected acute care, long term care and palliative care suites and emergency departments as well as work stations in hospital/community health.
Pros
Great wages
Cons
Short lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alberta Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.