Alberta Health Services

Alberta Health Services Employee Reviews

Love my job
Data Management, Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2016
A typical day would entailed, allot of data entry.
One of the things that I've learned is that people learn and pick up new skills in different ways. You must be patient with them.
My managers have been amazing and same with my co-workers.
Hardest part of the job if when info on a child comes across my desk.
I enjoy coming to work.
Very high workload!! very little staff to complete
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 15, 2016
The only positives were the salary, benefits and pension.
Long hours, high workload, little staff to complete daily workloads, Younger staff not willing to work, They have a ^#@@ attitude about respect, They believe they DESERVE respect before they give it to senior staff, They are a gossipy bunch and unfortunately the management hires on a who know who basis, It ended up that the junior staff all went to school together or they were related to one another, Very sad state of affairs, Horrible working conditions.
Pros
Salary, benefits, pension
Cons
Long hours, high workload, little staff to complete daily workloads.
Horrible culture, poor management
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2016
Been with Alberta Health Services for almost 4 years. Been a rollercoaster with staff and managers over the years. Spent much time working the workload of multiple staff which is NOT manageable or realistic for one person but you have no choice. Instead of getting a pat on the back you get drilled at times of not being that perfect employee. Staff are miserable and culture is like nothing seen before. No pay increases, no meaningful support from managers and no advancement opportunties. Very limited overall and doesn't seem to be getting better. Being a professional staff and seeing the numbers of staff being affected on a daily basis, there is much better out there. Im currently in the process of leaving myself and would never recommend this employer unless there are major improvements for the staff that work hard and dedicate themselves each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management and culture
organized and well managed
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2016
i like working here because they train you well, do follow ups on progress. cross train you. the site is well managed. you get to meet different types of coworkers from all ages. very diverse environment. i do not find it stressful. every workload is in sync and with time table.
Lots of Room for growing.
Unit Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 26, 2016
The staff are generally working with the same intentions and are very helpful. The opportunities are endless. The communication is clear and honest and I really appreciate that. My managers are all very easy to speak with and treat people like people not like numbers and that is very rare now a days. The nurses I work with are caring and passionate about their positions. The privacy and confidentiality is held to standard and respected.
Pros
Breaks and Lunches
Cons
Some late shifts.
A great place to work.
Administrative Assistant, Capital Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2016
Working with AHS was enjoyable. A lot of training was provided which was applicable to my position, as well as other positions in the department.
Nice place to work. Too much favoritism
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, ABAugust 2, 2016
Miss the old manger. Where shifts where given to everyone not just a certain few.
Few years ago the hospital looked cleaner and seemed happier back then.
Pros
Meeting patients
Cons
When everyone isn't doing their jobs things happen
Provincial Health Care Provider, very large employer reports to Provincial Government
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
Job security good. Benefits above average. Terrific co-workers and supportive direct management. Hardest part of job was the amount of paperwork (much of it manual, often repetitive). Limited support staff. Union was supportive. Direct management was supportive of annual, personal, professional development.
Good job security
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2016
Very large company and organization so difficult to feel connected.
Benefits are not the greatest. Good job security.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Just a number
Highly knowledgable place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Smoky Lake, ABJuly 8, 2016
Starting off as a casual worker i found it difficult to progress. Having had learned different skills and practice them i am thankful for my experience from this company.
Pros
Very Informative
Cons
Shift work, can be a difficult atmosphere
Each depart must do their own hiring
Trying to get hired there (Former Employee) –  n/aJuly 3, 2016
That's right NO CENTRAL HR. Due to shortage of staff department managers must do their own advertising and hiring. So get this the employees are encourage to find new people to hire (of course this would mostly apply to work in other departments) but when they recommend someone, those individuals are not put into a 'recommended by employee' pool.
Lots of opportunities within AHS
Secretary II/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, ABJuly 2, 2016
Although I mostly liked my job as an administrative support, it was a very demanding job with a heavy workload... in fact, too much for one person. AHS never wanted to spend the money to pay for a second position. Instead, they would rather pay ridiculous amounts of money to some idiot from Australia to become CEO (someone that knows nothing about our healthcare system). I learned the hard way that I was not able to do the job of two people, and eventually had a mental breakdown.
Pros
Many job opportunities, unionized, and good benefits.
Cons
Management is tight with the budget and won't spend money in the right places.
Good
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Remand CentreJuly 2, 2016
I work full-time as a Unit Clerk, I work 7.75 hours a day. My schedule works on a 12 week rotation, and I work three different areas. I enjoy working with my co-workers and have fun well I work.
Provided administrative support to the Director’s office • Prepared detailed reports and presentations for management meetings
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
Enjoyed the duties at work with many good employees around and very co-operative. Meet/Greet different people as they would come meet the director in regards to various updates in procurement on going basis.
Great family friendly environment to work in.
service aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABJune 23, 2016
a typicle day at work was very physical and fast paced.I learned patience and how to prioritize importance in my job.The management could have been better organized and more compationate.My co-workers were like my second family very caring and loveable.The hardest part of the job was not being able to meet every ones needs in a shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and being with my co-worker family on a daily basis.
Pros
Friends and family environment
Cons
Job discription changed from day to day
Good Place to Work
Training and Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2016
My particular position was quite good, it involved a great deal of instruction and working with people. Management provided good support and the co-workers were great.
Pros
paid training
hardworking and life-long learning
Health Care Aides, Nursing Attendant (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work is busy.
I have learned so much more.
It is well organized organization.
Most co-workers are positive.
Coping the stresses from negative co-workers is the hardest part of work.
Supportive environment is the most enjoyable part in the job
Pros
Good bebefits
Cons
less positions
Large health authoritiy
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Heath authority covering all of Alberta. Many opportunities within, great benefits and pay. I had the opportunity to get specialized in Labour and Delivery during my employment with FHS
Alberta Health Services
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Three Hills, ABMay 23, 2016
A typical day was well organized and thought out in order to get all work required done. Work was physical and demanding. I learned how to deal with elderly people with respect and caring. Management was good but it was a difficult job. The hardest part of the job was when we lost our Seniors. The most enjoyable part was that we were able to have wonderful communication with the Seniors.
Pros
Very happy place to work
Cons
very physically demanding
In general I find working at Alberta Health Services very rewarding.
HEALTH PROMOTION FACILITATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2016
Working with Seniors of all abilities and cultures I found it very rewarding both, with the people to work with and as a learning experience. The other fitness leaders were always helpful and willing to assist when required.
I don't think I can honestly say that I've met a grumpy older adult in any of my fitness classes, they were an amazing group of people to work with and generally very grateful as a number of my sites were lower income sites
The time I was in Allied Health Dept. there was quite a change over in management, there were 6 new managers for my specific Department in less than a year so a lot of change as each implemented their own policys. This time had some difficult moments when we as employee's were left out of any planning to the times we were asked for input which were better.
I worked half days on my own traveling from site to site to deliver fitness classes to seniors and ultimately handicapped individuals. The most difficult part of the job was the travel especially in the winter months
Pros
training and upgradeing supplied
Cons
In the PC&CDM Dept, working evenings is required